My Rigs

So, I have over a thousand bucks saved, just for a new pc, and I have decided that I am building this in the summer. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pLcdYJ
I know I'm a bit late on this, but I noticed you had a Kingston V300 SSD in your parts list. I would recommend choosing a different one - the V300 drives are what's known as a "bait and switch" - read more about what this means in this article.

A good alternative at a similar price and storage point would be the Crucial BX100.

I know I'm a bit late on this, but I noticed you had a Kingston V300 SSD in your parts list. I would recommend choosing a different one - the V300 drives are what's known as a "bait and switch" - read more about what this means in this article.

A good alternative at a similar price and storage point would be the Crucial BX100.
Its a good thing I am going with a 10,000 RPM HDD, and the reason is because of all the editing Ive been doing with UE4. It would just destroy an SSD. But thanks for the heads up

It has come to my attention that this laptop runs very hot, and I cannot play games such as Crysis 2 (on lowest settings) without it overheating and re-starting or crashing the video driver due to the amount of heat on the GPU.

Laptop...

Toshiba l875d-s7342

Display: 17.3" screen

CPU: AMD A8-5550m APU

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (upgradable to 16GB)

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8550G. This on die GPU has a max memory bandwidth of 25.6 GByte/s. It has 512 MB of system ram dedicated to graphics.

HDD: 600GB with close to 585GB usable

I noticed that the cpu was most likely nearing its maximum temp of 105* C or about 221*F. And notice, this was after I reapplied my thermal paste (previous job was a long time ago and I have gotten better since then. Also, the previous past job had dried.

Having redone the thermal paste on my laptop, it now blows out hotter air (really good thing) and it seems to stay a bit cooler for longer. Though I wish I had better cooling for my laptop, its main function is not gaming ;). I use it for school and other projects. When doing that, I lock the CPU to about 1.7 - 2.1 Ghz to limit heat and energy consumption.

Still a great machine, even though I have barely used it this summer, in favor for more desk space and my 6 core desktop with soon to be 20GB of ram, up from its current 12 GB.

So, just helped my lil bro upgrade his PC.

Here are his old specs(dont really know em all completely)

CPU: Dual Core LGA 775 @2.8GHz(dont know what CPU was in it, but it was bad)
RAM: 3x2gb @
GPU: None

I ripped out the motherboard, so the RAM and CPU are also gone, and replaced it with this:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k @ 3.7 GHz(WAY better than his old one.)
RAM: 1x8GB 1600MHz
GPU: GT 730 2GB GDDR5
Motherboard: A Gigabyte FM2+

Yes, these specs are not impressive, at all, but they blow his old PC out of the water

So, just helped my lil bro upgrade his PC.

Here are his old specs(dont really know em all completely)

CPU: Dual Core LGA 775 @2.8GHz(dont know what CPU was in it, but it was bad)
RAM: 3x2gb @
GPU: None

I ripped out the motherboard, so the RAM and CPU are also gone, and replaced it with this:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k @ 3.7 GHz(WAY better than his old one.)
RAM: 1x8GB 1600MHz
GPU: GT 730 2GB GDDR5
Motherboard: A Gigabyte FM2+

Yes, these specs are not impressive, at all, but they blow his old PC out of the water

That is actually a decent little build there :) And FM2 builds are nearly unbeatable for the prices you pay for the parts. I still run my computer with the already aged AM3+ socket. I paid 54 dollars for my motherboard and 100 for my 6 core CPU. Performance wise, thats a nice build :) Should be enough to play the latest stuff without a problem. Good job :)

EDIT: Just looked up performance differences between my CPU and the one in your brother's computer. That X4 860k you used, at stock speeds, is better than my 6 core. If you or your brother like to overclock, you could probably hit 4.0 Ghz easily with stock cooling. :)

So, I just randomly won this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157563

So, Im gonna build a desktop around this mobo instead of getting what I previously wanted.

Here are the parts I decided on http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QPMTgs.

I chose the Xeon because its pretty much an i7 without intergrated graphics, and intergrated graphics are useless when you have a dedicated GPU. And its only $200.

Also, getting a HDD for now, going to stay low budget.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nsmmZL
my edit is just a 4690k because it will be better in gaming then the xeon (Xeons are made for server, 24/7 stuff) and the AMD R9 280x will give you better gaming performance compared to the GTX 960.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nsmmZL
my edit is just a 4690k because it will be better in gaming then the xeon (Xeons are made for server, 24/7 stuff) and the AMD R9 280x will give you better gaming performance compared to the GTX 960.
Actually, the Xeon is pretty much an i7, but without intergrated graphics, and with my own GPU, theres will be no difference between this and an i7 in basic things such as gaming. And it will really outperform any i5 in what I really need it to. Though, 4690k will have a slight advantage in gaming do to its speed, but not really anything significant. And it would also be able to play games like AC Unity(or Arkham Knight) better than an i5. But I will also be needing this for my college classes, taking Software Engineering as my major, with Game Development as a minor.

Went to a mall dedicated to pc parts here in Singapore, and traded the mobo for this case, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811553018, AND this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028

I am not going Intel for this build, since I only need it to last through college, so I went with an FX 6300, a MSI mobo, and am deciding between a 4GB R7 370(rebranded R9 270 and for less, only 175) and a 3GB R9 280. Probably gonna stick with the 370 though. It does have slightly more VRAM

Ok, for you guys who dont know, going to college soon, and going to need a pc for my programming classes. I really cant decide if I should build a cheap PC that will get me through college, or build a good one that will last me a few extra years.

Ok, for you guys who dont know, going to college soon, and going to need a pc for my programming classes. I really cant decide if I should build a cheap PC that will get me through college, or build a good one that will last me a few extra years.
When talking about computer hardware, you get what you pay for. I would recommend building something that will last you for a while - at least four years so then you'll be done with college. If you want any suggestions on a build, let me know what you plan to be running on it and what your other preferences are and I'll put something together for you.

Since Im gonna be doing alot of 3D rendering plus some work in VS, I would prefer something with more than 4 cores. Looking at the i7 5820k, for future proofing, and FX 6300 for a cheap build

Close to a grand, already got a case and PSU, but I have to accommodate shipping into the budget since it will be $100, also plan on getting everything off newegg.

Back