My Rigs

Im thinking of going the i7, with a GTX 760 2GB, 2x8GB of RAM, and an MSI X99 mobo, also getting a PCIE wireless card. Dont really need much GPU since I wont be gaming much during college.

Built my first rig last year and so far I love it. I may see about getting a second graphics card and running an SLI setup, also adding more ram. I may be forgetting some things but this is the basic build info.

PARTS LIST:
CPU: AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 8-CORE
MOTHER BOARD:ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6GB/S USB 3.0 ATX
CASE: THERMALTAKE OVERSEER
FANS: (3) 200mm x 200mm x 30mm Blue LED fans, (1) 120mm x 120mm x 25mm
POWER SUPPLY: EVGA Super NOVA Power Supply 850 G2
OP SYSTEM: WINDOWS 8.1
VIDEO CARD:EVGA 03G-P4-2667-KR
HARD DRIVE:Crucial M500 Series 240GB SSD
RAID DRIVES: (2) 1TB Seagate
CD/DVD DRIVE: Samsung
RAM: DDR3 1866MHZ 8GB
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
DISPLAY: 37" led monitor

Johnny

Adding a new one to the list!

4 GB DDR2 RAM

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 clocked at 2.5 Ghz.

320 GB SATA HDD with Windows XP (Pro I think)
40GB PATA(IDE) HDD with Windows 7 pro 32 bit
320GB SATA HDD with Mac OSX Mavericks

Some Gigabyte motherboard that I will reveal when im able to look inside the case

A few notes about this rig. When running in XP mode, the pc is good for basic older apps, but refuses to run LOTRO, claiming there is a DirectX issue. When running is Win 7 mode, it performs similarly to a first generation Intel i5 processor would. not bad for something I found in the trash ;). In OSX mode, I have full speed networking, access to all 4 GB RAM, the ability to run and use Garageband and the app store when I reconfigure it. Also, when I run the OSX drive on this rig, it performs similarly to how the first Mac Mini's with first gen i5's would have performed.

I've tried all the standard fixes, including installing a plethora of DX components. I just chalked it up to being XP and its weird. Thanks though! I use the 40 GB drive with 7 on it to run games from the xp drive.
Not sure if that might sound like a good idea, but trying re-installing XP might do the trick. Of course it is not ideal, but older machines tend to work better with the ageing OS.

So, I went with a GTX 960 + a i5 4690(non k) for a few reasons.

The Mobo(B85 Micro ATX by Gigabyte), CPU, GPU, and RAM(2x8GB 1600MHz G.Skill) were all 50% off! My friend works with a local hardware vendor, and they were trying to get rid of some stuff, so they put some of the lower tier stuff on "surprise" sale (as in, nobody but the employees knew), and my friend told me :D

After getting the case, HDD and power supply, and WiFi card, maybe spent $430 on everything

Just sold my desktop for $600(without the OS). Why? In the next month Im going to 5 different countries, attend 2 weddings in 2 of those said countries, then back to the US semi-permanently for my cousins wedding and full time college (Up to this point I have been able to do everything online, but now to complete my bachelors I have to physically be at the school) I have a pretty big budget. Around $1500, but I would prefer not to spend that much if possible. Also, trying to make this as portable as possible as I will be in the US for college, then back to Singapore(or wherever my Dad will be stationed during the summer)

I have decided on a few parts, and that this will be a micro ATX build
CPU: i7 5820k
RAM: 2x8GB of G.Skill DDR4 RAM NT series
MOBO: ASRock X99M Extreme 4
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 Watt 80+Gold
HDD: 2TB Hitachi 7K3000 7200 RPM
CASE: Xion XON-310_BK(Might change to make this more portable)
CPU COOLER: Cryorig C1

For this build, and probably for now on and out, I will be using an AMD GPU. But I cant decide between the 390(970 equivalent) or the 390x(980 equivalent).

Last edited:
Just sold my desktop for $600(without the OS). Why? In the next month Im going to 5 different countries, attend 2 weddings in 2 of those said countries, then back to the US semi-permanently for my cousins wedding and full time college (Up to this point I have been able to do everything online, but now to complete my bachelors I have to physically be at the school) I have a pretty big budget. Around $1500, but I would prefer not to spend that much if possible. Also, trying to make this as portable as possible as I will be in the US for college, then back to Singapore(or wherever my Dad will be stationed during the summer)

I have decided on a few parts, and that this will be a micro ATX build
CPU: i7 5820k
RAM: 2x8GB of G.Skill DDR4 RAM NT series
MOBO: ASRock X99M Extreme 4
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 Watt 80+Gold
HDD: 2TB Hitachi 7K3000 7200 RPM
CASE: Xion XON-310_BK(Might change to make this more portable)
CPU COOLER: Cryorig C1

For this build, and probably for now on and out, I will be using an AMD GPU. But I cant decide between the 390(970 equivalent) or the 390x(980 equivalent).
I say go big or go home so I'd go for the 390x unless you're reaching your budget limit than a 390 works just as well. :2 cents:

Here, I will post the specs of the rigs I use for testing or for gaming, depending on my mood.

My desktop is the main workforce:
HP Pavilion P7-1003W

CPU: AMD FX-6300 hexacore processor (6 cores) clocked at 3.7 Ghz (not overclocked, as 3.8 is under the 4.1 turbo core. anything above 4.1 is an OC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 AM3+ motherboard.
This motherboard supports up to 32GB DDR3 ram.

RAM: 12GB of DDR3 RAM running at 1333.

GPU: XFX R9-270X Double Dissipation with 2GB of DDR5 RAM. It's effective memory bandwidth is somewhere around 179.2 Gb/s

HDD: Standard issue (stock) 1TB hard drive

All hooked up to my 21.5" LG Flatron :)

Laptop...
Toshiba l875d-s7342

Display: 17.3" screen

CPU: AMD A8-5550m APU

CPU cont. My A8-5550m is a quad core AMD Richland APU (built in graphics) with speeds up to 3.1Ghz on a single core at any given moment. Casually I keep my cpu clocked around 2.1Ghz, but it will OC a little to keep up with demands. when running a bunch of apps, all 4 cores stay around 2.8Ghz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (upgradable to 16GB)

The GPU is where my A8-5550m really shines.
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8550G. This on die GPU has a max memory bandwidth of 25.6 GByte/s. It has 512 MB of system ram dedicated to graphics.

HDD: 600GB with close to 585GB usable

Old Dell XPS 700 full tower gaming rig from about 2005/2006

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13Ghz ( can overclock to about 2.4 without crashing I think)

Motherboard: Stock XPS 700 motherboard.

Ram: 8GB DDR2

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 4650 PCI-e with 1GB DDR2 RAM

HDD: Nothing fancy here.. Old SATA 320GB HDD

An upgraded version of my old store bought HP desktop that the new HP 1003 up top replaced.
I have to put it back together.. Specs are listed below

CPU: Pentium D 805 @ 2.66Ghz overclocked to 3.0Ghz

Motherboard: Asus P5LD2-VM Micro-ATX board.

RAM: 4GB DDR2

GPU: Heat damaged XFX Geforce 8600 GT PCI-e with 1GB DDR2 ram... Works like a charm lol

OS: Windows XP Media center edition 2005 or Windows XP professional, depending on which hard drive I am using at the moment.

HDD: Standard SATA 320 GB HDD

EDIT: 3/5/2015

Raspberry Pi 1 Model B.
The RAM, CPU, GPU, audio controller, and 1 USB port are on a SoC (System on a Chip)
Broadcom BCM2835

CPU: 700 MHz single-core ARM processor that is overclockable to 1ghz
RAM: 512 MB DDR2
GPU: Broadcom VideoCore IV
USB: 2 USB 2.0 compliant ports
Video out: 1 HDMI port and 1 component out port
Audio out: 1 3.5mm stereo headphone jack
Ethernet/Internet connection: 1 RJ-45 connector (network cable, CAT-5/6) at 10/100 Mbp/s
Storage: 1 SD card slot

The Raspi also has several GPIO pins for various uses.
Since the Raspi is not using an Intel or AMD cpu, the only options for an operating system are different versions of Linux.

If you want to see more of the machines I have, let me know. :)

EDIT 3/21/2015

I have a couple older rigs that use the LGA775 socket, and at least one computer that uses a PPGA478 socket Pentium 4 2.66Ghz cpu

The older rigs I have either dont have parts other than a motherboard at the moment, or are just in dire need of a fixup. I have a ton of RAM for old computers, and a bunch of old processors (Pentium D 930, 2 Pentium 4 640s, Celeron D 352, E6300, e8400) Enough parts to make a decent little rig for test purposes or to play my old video games.

As for spare graphics cards, I don't have any AGP cards, but I do have a Radeon HD 6570 PCI-e card, my faithful but heat damaged 8600 GT 1GB PCI-e, and a PCI 8400 GS with 512 MB DDR2 RAM.

EDIT 4/22/2015... Dang! I missed posting on the day it would be a month since last edit.. oh well

This info is on page 2 on this thread.
Arduino Uno
Microcontroller ATmega328(This is the CPU)
Operating Voltage 5V
Digital I/O Pins 14 (of which 6 provide PWM output)
Analog Input Pins 6
Flash Memory 32 KB (ATmega328) of which 0.5 KB used by bootloader: This is like tiny hard drive of sorts
SRAM 2 KB (ATmega328) (just 2 KB of RAM for the little guy to use =D )
Clock Speed 16 MHz (Beastly thing ain't it? haha)

EDIT 8/17/2015.. Its been a while, matey!
This rig serves as a testing computer and a Hackintosh

4 GB DDR2 RAM

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 clocked at 2.5 Ghz.

320 GB SATA HDD with Windows XP (Pro I think)
40GB PATA(IDE) HDD with Windows 7 pro 32 bit
320GB SATA HDD with Mac OSX Mavericks

Some Gigabyte motherboard that I will reveal when im able to look inside the case

A few notes about this rig. When running in XP mode, the pc is good for basic older apps, but refuses to run LOTRO, claiming there is a DirectX issue. When running is Win 7 mode, it performs similarly to a first generation Intel i5 processor would. not bad for something I found in the trash ;). In OSX mode, I have full speed networking, access to all 4 GB RAM, the ability to run and use Garageband and the app store when I reconfigure it. Also, when I run the OSX drive on this rig, it performs similarly to how the first Mac Mini's with first gen i5's would have performed.

Amazing Rig, I'm jealous! :(

Yup

Do you think the 2k resolution might warrant the 390x, or not really?

I don't run anything at 2k but I do run dolphin scaled up to 4k on my 1920X1080 monitor haha. I am not sure it would be worth it to do that.. With my r9-270x I can drive 3 displays at once in Eyefinity mode without much issue for the games I tried it on. I would say the normal 390 would be just fine. Anyone else have input on this? :) (@John Foulroberts) lol

Hey yall! New rig :) A Lenovo Laptop.

Model: Lenovo L420
CPU: I5-2520m @2.5Ghz. Dual core hyper-threaded.
RAM: 6 GB of DDR3.
GPU: Intel HD 3000
Screen: 14" display
HDD: An old Toshiba 300 GB 5400 RPM drive I had lying around
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

It can play older games fine. The limit seems to be CoD: MW2 on lower settings

Last edited:
Few days away from ordering my parts, and because of needs over wants, I will be going with a 4790k in a mITX build over the 5820k in a mATX build :( Im doing this mainly so I can fit the pc on my carry-on bag for travelling. And for GPU, I might cheap out now, and wait for Pascal/Greenland. Really hope makes a better version of there R9 Nano. It really is an impressive card.

Update:

Just bought the parts! And after some looking around, for pushing games on ultrawide monitors, the 980 Ti seemed the best.

Heres the parts and breakdown of the parts I chose:

4790k: At the time, it was the cheapest i7 CPU for the 1150, and ironically the best. 4GHz and hyperthreading, what more can you ask for

H97M mITX Mobo. Durable mITX mobo, and since Im not an OC fan, no need for Z97

RAM: My cousins giving it to me

Cryorig C1: Great mITX CPU cooler

Silverstone SFX PSU: 600 Watts, 80+ Gold, and fits in my case

RAVEN case: Pretty much the size of a console, will make so easy to bring with me when I travel

980 Ti: Powerful GPU, can easily push 2k resolutions, and EVGA has there card clocked higher then most of the other ones by 100MHz

HDD: I love Hitachi HDDs, and I need the storage of a 2TB HDD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD2NA9155

Monitor: Its an Ultrawide monitor, so it will help alot with my programming and other college work

PCPP LINK: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3KkWFT

Back