Guide Ned Reddavis' Guide to Optimizing DPS for Faster Looting Part 2

Ned_Reddavis

Honorable Pirate
This is part 2 of my two part guide. This part will only be discussing DPS and will be concluding my guides on damage and DPS. If you'd like to go back and read part 1, click here!

Weapon Types DPS
Ok, so part 1 found all of the optimal methods for damage, and now here I will provide all of the DPS information for each weapon type and each of their variants within those types. Afterwards I will discuss comparisons between this information and what that all means, and then a final summary of all this information. All of these DPS values assume you are on a level 50 pirate with the format of optimal damage, not using any buffs such as curse, and attacking a green or gray bar enemy. For more detailed information about any particular weapon type please see the respective guide that I have made specifically for that category. In general, famed and legendary weapons deal the most damage, so I will only be assessing the DPS of those weapon loot tiers.

Voodoo Staffs

Corpse and Lava are the best options here, and in groups of pirates lava staff is preferred to give everyone the 10% damage buff that should overall break past the DPS of the Corpse Staff.

Voodoo Dolls

Dolls are all pretty similar in damage, but the legendaries have the best DPS.

Grenades

Moonstone and Green Ornament have the best DPS, and both have the best DPS when minimal charged volleys.

Guns
Some of the gun abilities are either incredibly long to charge and minuscule in damage increase or I don't have the guns to test how they work, so some of the data here is missing. Also, note that for repeaters the DPS is with using the shoot ability for damage and for all other gun types DPS is calculated with fully drawn take aim attacks. Pistols and repeaters seem to do the most, while blunders surprisingly have the worst DPS, but good one shot capabilities.

Daggers

Dark Whisper is obviously a top tier dagger, but surprisingly other famed daggers can achieve the same result, and cutthroat's can go significantly above the rest if it's ability can be utilized to the fullest.

Swords
Swords were the first weapons I tackled and later down the line I have gotten better ways of gathering information for better accuracy. Now I'm bringing this information back to swords and have therefore revised my work here. At another look I have learned that several assumptions were wrong! The cooldowns of bladestorm, sweep, etc. are sword type specific and not the same across every variety of sword and I have had to make DPS adjustments for this. Swords have the most amount of abilities to account for, but I do not have a majority of the legendary swords and some of the famed swords so I cannot get good data for those. However, abilities such as inferno sweep, shock sweep, and hurricane slash all charge incredibly slowly and have a variation in its recharge since it is based on both perfect combos and receiving damage from enemies. For this reason it seems that those abilities will not increase DPS by a significant amount, though it should be acknowledged that they likely do. For weapons with cursed thunder or the like, this has the same animation time as a slash or chop attack and can even replace those attacks by correctly timing your click to lead it into the second attack. If this happens then your DPS will increase slightly each time you perform this, and if you can't then using it at the start of combos will still slightly improve DPS. Levi w/ ability does 631-1263 DPS.

Edit: Due to how touchy swords are I got a new program to calculate frame data times for damage combos and have updated the following chart to reflect this. I will keep the image as a file below, however for anyone that still wants that old chart. Also, weird thing that I noticed is that cursed sabres have longer blade storm cooldowns than regular sabres, and the longer cooldown was used for this DPS as all the sabres are cursed in the chart.

1568135794128.png

DPS Discussion and Damage Summary
Ok, now that I've blasted you with information I want to break this down a bit for all of you. I want to be very clear that there is in fact some error in all of my calculations (mostly due to the game's slight rounding). I am incapable of giving a precise error analysis, but since each weapon category is calculated the same way, the relationships between weapons in the same category should be definitive. From there, the weapon categories are enough apart that I can give a general stance on which category of weapons is better than another: Guns are the weapon category that seem to be able to have the highest potential DPS. After that, in descending DPS order it goes grenades, swords, voodoo staffs, daggers, and voodoo dolls. What is not obvious from what I have provided is which weapons have the highest singe hit damage. Blunders, which have poor DPS have a high single hit damage, for example. Weapons with the highest single hit damage are high DPS pistols (i.e the legendary pistols), blunders, siege charge grenades, the desolation voodoo staff spell, and leviathan's curse attack. To do even more DPS than is shown in the charts you should use the doll's curse ability on an enemy, use damage increasing potions, fight in groups, and fight with a staff user using the dark aura ability. If you are searching for weapons to deal more damage, then hunting for either of the legendary pistols, or some of the higher legendary swords while finding the high DPS famed weapons on these spreadsheets is the way to go.

I finally want to re-write here that you will do less damage to red and yellow bar enemies, up to 1/3 less damage against enemies 5 or less levels below your notoriety. Additionally pirates do not do less damage to bosses for the sake of them being bosses, and pirates do not do seem to do less damage to Palifico despite him being level 52 compared to attacking a level 50 enemy.

:congrats:

Well, that's everything. If you stuck around and read this two part novel I applaud you and I really hope that this is helpful to even the most seasoned of pirates. Hopefully this will get you pirates to dealing as much damage as you can to whatever you choose to fight and help increase the amount of loot and fantastic weapons that you all have! If you'd like to read part 1, click here! Please, please, please ask any questions that you may have and better yet, give me some constructive criticism! Ned Reddavis out!

Attachments

• 1554747820805.png
    1554747820805.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 1554747831079.png
    1554747831079.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 251
  • 1554747936195.png
    1554747936195.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 294
  • 1556059583959.png
    1556059583959.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Due to the current state of the game, I believe I was finally able to get an accurate detail on what the powerful ability does to our weapons, and to their damage equations. My previous assumption made the powerful ability very strong, but this is not really the case. Therefore, JSB has been brought down a few pegs and is now confidently sitting in the middle of the legendary cutlass DPS.

Last edited:
Going off pistol and blunder damage from your post, it looks like legendary pistols are balanced as they should be with high damage potential and DPS as it should be since getting a legendary weapon should feel rewarding

I am curious however about blunders as you mention in your findings, blunders have a lower damage capability than pistols. Now for DPS, I think that's fine since that's how burst classes in most other MMOs work (i.e high hit damage but low overall DPS) but I think blunders being even lower than Pistols in hit damage is a bit unbalanced as it more or less makes blunders even worse in overall situations than pistols.

However you do admit yourself that some of these numbers may be rounded up a bit by the game and not represented accurately and with how close the numbers are, I may just be splitting hairs but it just was something I noticed while looking through your post and thought I'd see if there was any thoughts on the matter.

I am curious however about blunders as you mention in your findings, blunders have a lower damage capability than pistols. Now for DPS, I think that's fine since that's how burst classes in most other MMOs work (i.e high hit damage but low overall DPS) but I think blunders being even lower than Pistols in hit damage is a bit unbalanced as it more or less makes blunders even worse in overall situations than pistols.

I think I see where you're coming from when you say that blunders have less one hit damage than pistols.

in descending DPS order it goes grenades, swords, voodoo staffs, daggers, and voodoo dolls. What is not obvious from what I have provided is which weapons have the highest singe hit damage. Blunders, which have poor DPS have a high single hit damage, for example. Weapons with the highest single hit damage are high DPS pistols (i.e the legendary pistols), blunders, siege charge grenades, the desolation voodoo staff spell, and leviathan's curse attack

In the DPS sentence there I provided an order to the list of items, and so I think in the second sentence I may have accidentally implied that that list also has particular order to it, but it doesn't. Blunders do have a higher single shot damage than the other gun types, including the legendary pistols for some blunderbusses.

For example, grand blunderbuss' max damage with aiming and steelshot at maximum skill points can be found with:

1.8*2.25*(52.5+96.25)*2.5*2*(1+0.005*82)*2 = 8494 (52.5 and 96.25 replicate the rounding best)

but mercer's pistol with aiming and steelshot (and no critical strike) can only do a max of

3*1.5*(26.5+96.25)*2.5*2*(1+0.005*85)*2 = 7871

Is the seven seas repeater truly that much stronger than the legendary pistols? I am assuming none of these calculations take into account critical strikes correct?

Is the seven seas repeater truly that much stronger than the legendary pistols? I am assuming none of these calculations take into account critical strikes correct?
Any weapon with critical strike has that factored in already in the charts I provided. It surprised me too, but yeah, repeaters really are that strong in DPS if you have the ammo for it!

Back