Discussion New Comers

ThatCreepyKnit

Pirate Apprentice
Not sure what really goes on in TLOPO, but I do know that the community isn't all friendly at times. So far for the couple years I've played this game I've had my fair share of new comers playing TLOPO. I mean completely new meaning they didn't even play POTCO back then. So when I hear replies on why they leave guild or why they don't play anymore I get responses such as. "I don't enjoy the game/ It's not for me". "I keep getting picked on." "I get called noob all the time." "I keep getting lied too in where stuff is located in quests." Examples like this is what can hurt this game. I'm not saying help new comers every step of the way, but giving them a little info or on how they can look up what to do when lost. It can go a long way, so as a community and player of TLOPO help the new comers out instead of scaring them away.

P.S. This post might be weird or not well typed but hey it had to be said.

Unfortunately there's a dark side to every gaming community. All we need to do is to show these new and old players that the good outweighs the bad by helping them with whatever they need help with. In the few months that I've been playing the beta (was here in alpha but I had to take a break) I've seen a lot of helpful players but that might be because I was lucky enough to get a invite to an extremely helpful guild that is now like a family to me.
This community is one of the friendliest and helpful gaming communities I've ever been in. Let's show these newcomers and returning players that this community is one of the best, regardless of the trolls and rude people.

Would be cool to see (a reputable veteran from the game) initiate a guild for just the sake of helping/mentoring new players. Someone whom would not take advantage of the situation, I mean.

Think about the legacy you would leave in-game if - as guild GM - you were wholly committed to that! (A veteran too could decipher the difference as to whom is 'new').:piratetreasure:

Not sure what really goes on in TLOPO, but I do know that the community isn't all friendly at times. So far for the couple years I've played this game I've had my fair share of new comers playing TLOPO. I mean completely new meaning they didn't even play POTCO back then. So when I hear replies on why they leave guild or why they don't play anymore I get responses such as. "I don't enjoy the game/ It's not for me". "I keep getting picked on." "I get called noob all the time." "I keep getting lied too in where stuff is located in quests." Examples like this is what can hurt this game. I'm not saying help new comers every step of the way, but giving them a little info or on how they can look up what to do when lost. It can go a long way, so as a community and player of TLOPO help the new comers out instead of scaring them away.

P.S. This post might be weird or not well typed but hey it had to be said.
I have been called many names and made fun of within the game countless of times, there are trolls and unfriendly players within the gaming community as a whole. This can't be completely solved with a simple solution or done in a short span of time...

However, this community [Like 99.99% of all MMO's] has a very dusty and un-welcoming shell at times. However, once you break through the shell and find some friends. Then you'll get a guild that suits your enjoyment style; that may be SvS, PvP, Looting, or even just story line and chatting. This is when the community starts to shine and bands together and create our own little communities with amazing and diverse views.

This brings me to the forums post like this being the cure for any "Bullying" or "Getting Called a Noob" within the game. The more we create groups, events, competitions, and communicate with each other the less we will see acts like this happening. I only wished more people used this amazing site to help find their place in our little MMO community.

Not to mention we also have to note that we have an AMAZINGLY active moderation team with @TheCrew and they are 1000% more active and fair than Disney's team ever was in handling Trolls or Bullying fast and effectively.

Just remember not to be scared to speak out or report any kind of ill behavior, it will take everyone of us working together to ensure our community's longevity.

P.S. - I often tend to make grammar mistakes as well, nobody's perfect.

I have been called many names and made fun of within the game countless of times, there are trolls and unfriendly players within the gaming community as a whole. This can't be completely solved with a simple solution or done in a short span of time...

However, this community [Like 99.99% of all MMO's] has a very dusty and un-welcoming shell at times. However, once you break through the shell and find some friends. Then you'll get a guild that suits your enjoyment style; that may be SvS, PvP, Looting, or even just story line and chatting. This is when the community starts to shine and bands together and create our own little communities with amazing and diverse views.

This brings me to the forums post like this being the cure for any "Bullying" or "Getting Called a Noob" within the game. The more we create groups, events, competitions, and communicate with each other the less we will see acts like this happening. I only wished more people used this amazing site to help find their place in our little MMO community.

Not to mention we also have to note that we have an AMAZINGLY active moderation team with @TheCrew and they are 1000% more active and fair than Disney's team ever was in handling Trolls or Bullying fast and effectively.

Just remember not to be scared to speak out or report any kind of ill behavior, it will take everyone of us working together to ensure our community's longevity.

P.S. - I often tend to make grammar mistakes as well, nobody's perfect.
You're right, about a lot of things in your post. ;)

*Communication is the key!

Would be cool to see (a reputable veteran from the game) initiate a guild for just the sake of helping/mentoring new players. Someone whom would not take advantage of the situation, I mean.

Think about the legacy you would leave in-game if - as guild GM - you were wholly committed to that! (A veteran too could decipher the difference as to whom is 'new').:piratetreasure:
I think that's a great idea, the new players are going into established guilds with strong players and feeling lost.. It would be a good idea to have a starting guild for new players so they can learn the ropes without being thrown in the deep end so to speak.

I think that's a great idea, the new players are going into established guilds with strong players and feeling lost.. It would be a good idea to have a starting guild for new players so they can learn the ropes without being thrown in the deep end so to speak.

There are quite a few guilds in the current setting of the game that are more mindful of player's history with the game, and will use what information they can to help the newbies into being able to make informed decisions and play the game on their own to a point, but following guided advice from users who've been around the block for awhile.

A guild entirely following on that idea would be great, but would also be difficult to pull off as a primary idea as there aren't *too* many new players. Not impossible though, and I applaud those who have the time to do so! ;)

Yep and, their level of being accepted would be greater given everyone else would be learning about the game too.

Truth of the matter is, unless you happen to game MMO's quite frequently, there is a certain "learning curve" towards both the understanding and expectation of what POTCO was/TLOPO is. *If you're a player and you understand aspects of the community which you don't particularly like, you have the power to make a positive difference to change that and to change the tide of how Pirates Online will end up! ;)

~ Nothing positive ever occurs if people just sit on their duff and critique/complain about things.

Unfortunately any time you're in an online community, there are going to be those who don't see/understand / don't care that there's a real person behind the avatar. Heck, I've been made fun of by people in my own guild. I usually take it as a teaching moment and try to nudge the person into the fact that I am indeed a real person with real life issues. Obviously that only works in a perfect world and I have to ignore the person. Even still, some things still bother me as much as I try to not let them. I'd love to see roles added in guilds that would entail a "guide pirate" sort of role. We have such in my guild discord but its hard to differentiate them when there's a huge jump from veteran to officer and not anything in between in game. Essentially the guide pirate does what has been mentioned above about mentoring newer players and its used as a stepping stone to officer. I'd love to see something like that utilized by TLOPO, including having a specific mentor.

10/10 my guy, preach it.

I’m new to TLOPO, but played POTCO for years. However, I just joined Galactic Order, and I was working at the RC Quest, and was having difficulty sinking ships as I was only level 30 at the time. Three people in the guild helped me sink ships, complete the rituals in Ravens Cove, and defeat Foulberto in 2 hours. Its people like that, whom communities need more of.

If you want a community to grow, treat newcomers with respect, and maybe give a helping hand when needed. :)

Unfortunately any time you're in an online community, there are going to be those who don't see/understand / don't care that there's a real person behind the avatar. Heck, I've been made fun of by people in my own guild. I usually take it as a teaching moment and try to nudge the person into the fact that I am indeed a real person with real life issues. Obviously that only works in a perfect world and I have to ignore the person. Even still, some things still bother me as much as I try to not let them. I'd love to see roles added in guilds that would entail a "guide pirate" sort of role. We have such in my guild discord but its hard to differentiate them when there's a huge jump from veteran to officer and not anything in between in game. Essentially the guide pirate does what has been mentioned above about mentoring newer players and its used as a stepping stone to officer. I'd love to see something like that utilized by TLOPO, including having a specific mentor.
Very sorry to hear about some treatment you had received, in-game.

For myself, POTCO was really the only game I played - as an adult. With that being said, it was also the very first MMORPG game I was ever introduced/played. When I played POTCO, it was an escapism from the drama and pressures of Life. (This likely explains too why I just 'enjoyed' the game and viewed the whole competitiveness of it with a 'whatever' kind of attitude).

*I really love this idea you present about a guild "guide pirate." It expands upon what a guild really should do and that is to draw further interest towards the game itself, not the guild.
10/10 my guy, preach it.

I’m new to TLOPO, but played POTCO for years. However, I just joined Galactic Order, and I was working at the RC Quest, and was having difficulty sinking ships as I was only level 30 at the time. Three people in the guild helped me sink ships, complete the rituals in Ravens Cove, and defeat Foulberto in 2 hours. Its people like that, whom communities need more of.

If you want a community to grow, treat newcomers with respect, and maybe give a helping hand when needed. :)
A guild like yours is family (and a 'decent' representation of others sacrificing their time/energy for the sake and 'bigger picture' of others). ;)

For myself, POTCO was really the only game I played - as an adult. With that being said, it was also the very first MMORPG game I was ever introduced/played. When I played POTCO, it was an escapism from the drama and pressures of Life. (This likely explains too why I just 'enjoyed' the game and viewed the whole competitiveness of it with a 'whatever' kind of attitude).

*I really love this idea you present about a guild "guide pirate." It expands upon what a guild really should do and that is to draw further interest towards the game itself, not the guild.

A guild like yours is family (and a 'decent' representation of others sacrificing their time/energy for the sake and 'bigger picture' of others). ;)
Well said. :)

Thank you! Someone in my guild came up with it and its a great concept. Gotta find the right people for it.

I have never seen any bullying in the game but for one individual, a few years ago, who seemed to have problems with everyone, regardless of time in the game.
Everyone I run into in-game is always friendly and helpful.
Now I'm not saying there aren't mean and rude people out there, but I have yet to encounter any.

10/10 my guy, preach it.

SAL, it was a pleasure helping you with your quest. I'm glad to see how much enthusiasm you have for the game.

Back