New Gameskinny Article - Pirates Online: Dead Games Tell No Tales

Hmmm. Some of this information is inaccurate, and I wouldn't want your news source to get a bad rep! Retribution did not decompile any source code. They took our old code leak, and built off of that. So I would recommend that gets fixed. I know you're trying to look at this from a non-partisan point-of-view, but inaccuracy in this article is rampant..

Christopher

Edit: To add to this comment, I want to say, Disney has never and will never approve these projects. They do not encourage what we do. And none of their original developers have joined any of these teams. As well, you missed the fact that another remake does accept money and donations -- which is contrary to their statements that they are, "completely non-profit". This is not meant to attack Retribution. This is simply to clear up obvious inaccuracies in their responses which will make your news source look less reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful article! So happy to see that you are still doing such a thing.;)

Within the interview, the second (2nd) question asked proves considerably that profound differences do exist on how best to "approach" POTCO being remade. As someone quite concerned about the overall fate and happiness of the community itself, I would encourage everyone to take the time to do the research yourself (which, btw, requires a 'considerable' amount of time to review readily into things keeping in mind POTCO's terms, Disney's terms, intellectual property IP legalities, trademark, etc.).

In my honest and forthright opinion, until such research itself is conducted ye have no right to go off of:

• assumption
  • another person's word
Thank ye for continually supporting this one-of-a-kind community, @ElizaCreststeel.

I forgot to mention something else! Whoops.

The TLOPO team encourages others to decompile and try to make their own server. We've said this from the start. We love when people show effort in that realm. However, we do not condone using our work and representing it as your own. That is why I mentioned this in the previous post.

Chris.

The fact that Retribution is going to try And sell t-shirts probably will become an issue as well

As for the code copying, I had heard that. I was at a crossroads to either not cover another remake or bring out drama by only discussing TLOPO. I chose to not discuss it.

I believe both sets of responses did not imply any former Disney team members were a part of either team.

The Toontown rewritten team implied some had worked with them and Bloomberg proceeded with their item. If that was wrong its on Bloomberg.

Other than what Chris and Shamus said you did an excellent job Eliza at trying to be unbiased as possible, which is very difficult considering another remake, and I'm not currently aware of what project you are supporting but I'm assuming it's us, the only thing I would want to point out is that it definitely looks like the beta stage will be ready in the upcoming weeks but none of us know, so it would better be said that it's coming within a month or two latest, or simply put there is no ETA at the moment unless one of the developers told you It's being released in the next couple weeks, and if that's true then by all means, disregard what I said.

The fact that Retribution is going to try And sell t-shirts probably will become an issue as well

As for the code copying, I had heard that. I was at a crossroads to either not cover another remake or bring out drama by only discussing TLOPO. I chose to not discuss it.

I believe both sets of responses did not imply any former Disney team members were a part of either team.

The Toontown rewritten team implied some had worked with them and Bloomberg proceeded with their item. If that was wrong its on Bloomberg.
All good points (especially given that whole 't-shirts/hoodies' effort).

If it helps, response #8 from this interview with TTR's Joey gives better insight pertinent to how they have received (some) past or current Disney support. Important to note is that current/former employees for Disney cannot openly support anyone doing these remakes publicly because they are under a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) clause. Jesse Schell seems to be an exception to that rule/clause perhaps because he has departed from Disney a considerable time ago.

As far as POTCO (past developers), a few important ones are already working for Disney again and so I don't understand whom exactly that other remake is hoping to gain their support from because of such NDA clause.

Not trying to stir up any drama here. Deleted member 4172 used the phrase "free to play" on his mine craft server in the summer of 2015. He then offered the option of paying monthly payments to have the best items, etc.
He also added a "Selling tlopo keys" option to his Minecraft site, and multiple people paid for said keys. However, there were no keys. No keys were given to him and he had none to sell. And these people emailed us, asking why they did not receive a key. Pretty good.

Anyway, we forgot to mention that one of our developers, @deanaug, has been working in software development for many years and is a trained professional. And myself, I have worked at multiple major software development companies as well. Whoops. :p

Chris

Edit: I feel bad because I totally forgot to back that first statement up with physical evidence..
https://web.archive.org/web/20160408152138/http://store.potcomc.us/

[QUOTE="
Anyway, we forgot to mention that one of our developers, @deanaug, has been working in software development for many years and is a trained professional. And myself, I have worked at multiple major software development companies as well. Whoops. :p

Chris" /[/QUOTE]

Well, either are free to post on the article's comments. I was assuming folks wanted anonymity.

Back