Should there be a change?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Comment your idea)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kingmattayo

Swashbuckler
I posted this thread awhile ago and it received a lot of attention. Let me know what you guys think.

If you look at the bottom of any loot pouch/chest/skull chest there is a loot rating system.
Pouch -
LootPouchContents.png

Chest -
screenshot_2013-08-20_22-27-24.jpg

Skull Chest -
Screenshot_2012-06-05_22-38-52.jpg

You can see that the fourth and fifth "Skull", for lack of a better term, aren't ever filled in. If you've been playing this game a long time, you've probably noticed that even when a famed or legendary item drops the loot rating will never be above the third percentile.
Maybe if a famed item drops the fourth skull could be achieved, and legendary for the fifth skull.
I believe that is a logic and simple solution, but I'm open to ideas.
Maybe take the fourth and fifth markers out of the rating system completely, it makes sense to have a pouch be 1/3, chest be 2/3, and skull chest be 3/3 on the rating system.
Let me know if anyone has any new ideas or if there shouldn't be a change.

I think this is a great idea and a really simple and clean solution to the odd fact that the fourth and fifth loot rating is never used. I also think it could be interesting to take it a different way and instead add two new chests better than skull chests (and at lower rates) that can fill this fourth and fifth rating slot and maybe add some new hype and diversity when looting.

If this occurred prior to TLOPO, I wonder why devs of POTCO dropped (pun intended) the ball on this? Was the game itself left hopelessly abandoned "that much" to where things were left and blatantly ignored? :confused:

Good catch and thread topic. ;)

Definitely needs to be changed. Exactly how that it is to be changed deserves some thought. There are many ways to do fix it. Here are few I can think of/you mentioned.

1. Container Type Rarity System: just a 1-3 rating system 1 for pouch 2 for chest 3 for loot skull chests as you mentioned.
My thoughts: This is probably the simplest of the methods to fix the weird rating system. It would allow new players to clearly see that skull chests are "better" than pouches and chests etc. On the contrary though, that's not always the case as sometimes pouches or chests are better, it's just more a matter that skull chests have the best drop rate. This would keep it really simple, but it is kind of boring.
2. Weapon Based Rarity System a 1-5 rating based on weapon rarity. Crude/no weapon =1 Common =2 Rare =3 Famed =4 Legendary= 5
My thoughts: I like this system, but it has a major flaw, it's based entirely on weapon rarity. The value of loot is usually based upon a weapon, but also frequently upon clothes or items such as the bones for Hallowed Woods. It's not a great solution, but is still a possibility.
3. New Container Rarity System (@Ned_Reddavis' idea)
My thoughts: I like the idea of having some new chests to add some new hype when looting, especially since three containers isn't really that many. I don't believe looting has changed whatsoever since when I played POTCO, and that is kinda disappointing since it's such a core mechanic. It's nostalgic sure, but it's really simply and really just up to luck. While I'm sure it would be a much disputed topic, I feel that looting needs some changes to be more engaging, even if they are minor ones. But again I'm sure that'd be disputed, and that's a topic for another thread.
4. The "Weighted" System just an idea off the top of my head. As I mentioned in the weapon based system, the value of a loot container is not based solely on weapons but also on other items within it. In this system perhaps items could be weighted (or given a value in terms of "skulls" which are essentially "stars") In other words different types of items would be given a number in terms of the skulls.

For example (not definite whatsoever): A famed weapon = 3 skulls, legendary weapon = 5 skulls, a bright = 2 skulls, Haunted bones = 3 skulls, large bones and rares = 2 skulls, a common or gold or another clothing item (besides a bright or rare) or all of the above = 1 skull

The issue with this is that it would probably require a greater rating system like 1-10 or 1-8, and it would be kind of complicated to new players. I do think though, that since there are so many former POTCO players, people might enjoy having a more complex rating system. It'd also take some work to decide the values, but maybe it'd be cool??? Let me know what you think.

Back