NEW POTC (mobile) game ~ "Tides of War"

S

Shamus The Brute

Why Disney, why? :confused: Why mobile? SIGH. Why you can't you just listen to what actually interests us (and where the demand has been)?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/with-new-movie-coming-a-pirates-of-the-caribbean-m/1100-6449100/

Your thoughts? :confused:

Below are mine:

• I am not happy about this
  • I am not happy about this because...now the ex-POTCO community must contend yet again with another Disney game pertinent to our 'specific' POTC/gaming interest
  • I am not happy about this because...a viable remake like TLOPO had the quiet freedom to grow (without someone like me worrying extra about things all on account of Disney's interest to see a POTC brand game come to market)
  • I am not happy about this because...mobile games are notorious for turning over profit very quickly to where, over time, their own life and demand fizzles-out leading to immature closures
  • I am not happy about this because...it is happening, I feel, at the very worst time
Despite this news, I just want to remind everyone that the POTC brand is valued (still) by Disney. Without going further into detail to avoid future confrontation, well...I'll just leave it at that.

*Dang you, Disney! Just...ugh. :smh:

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole point of being a pirate is to crew-up with unlimited number of other scallywags and pirates (whether that be doing 'something' or doing 'nothing').

A pirate game was made to "fit" as a MMO. (But yet, they still can't figure that out). :knockout::facepalm::knockout:

"We're confident that this mobile game will align with the quality and high entertainment value that fans have come to expect from the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise," Joycity COO Hanseo Jo said in a statement.

How wrong can somebody nobody views mobile games as actual "gaming" AT ALL. This TOW game I can already tell is going to be P2W which means it's going to be absolutely awful. Someone should inform Mr whats-his-face what we really want. POTCO.​

I think they went with this because they no longer have POTCO around to help promote their new movies, and realize that the demand for pirate-themed games is still relatively high, but don't want to acknowledge their own mistake in shutting down POTCO by recreating it, and so they went with a mobile game, which leads me to believe that Disney thinks PC gaming is dying out, which is simply not true.

"We're confident that this mobile game will align with the quality and high entertainment value that fans have come to expect from the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise," Joycity COO Hanseo Jo said in a statement.

How wrong can somebody nobody views mobile games as actual "gaming" AT ALL. This TOW game I can already tell is going to be P2W which means it's going to be absolutely awful. Someone should inform Mr whats-his-face what we really want. POTCO.​
I agree with you. What I find interesting is that Disney licensed the rights of the game out to this Korean company (i.e, Joycity). While that is no problem in and of itself, it's very interesting to me because of the "direction" Disney seems to be going in so far as this decision to yet once again cater the POTC brand & franchise specifically to the Orient (more so than in the past).

Because it seems that Disney is hell-bent on introducing/promoting the POTC brand specifically to folks within that geographic part of the world, this mobile game might actually pick up some steam in contradiction to my initial point about mobile games dying out very quickly. Either way, it's clear to me that if the POTC brand & franchise is esteemed as important within "that" part of the world this could very well affect the level of online scrutiny towards all things POTC-related and I am saying this from the perspective of business alone in addition to the fact that such nation-states as China are notorious for creating fake/counterfeit content and goods. (Reason why I became so concerned when I found out that Disney was doing what they did with Disney Shanghai, pertinent to the POTC ride).

Then again, perhaps I am all worried for nothing - shrugs.

Me Hearties, I think ye is missing the point of these games. We are supposed to be enjoying the pirate's life Argh!!! Granted the pirate's life is not always what it seems, even if it be in the form of a mobile app, but ye must know that this is the way of things like trying to avoid capture from the East India Trading Company or some other ailment the sea spits out at our pirate kind. If ye thinks ye can come up with a better way than ye better be getting to it, otherwise enjoy what ye have of the pirate's life for now Savvy? Ye can always check out the link to this tabletop of the pirate's life called Blood & Plunder: http://www.firelockgames.com/

Back