Suggestion New Report Options

Imacow

Sea Legs
With the return of Hallowed Woods, there are plenty of players joining up to loot together again. With more players in one spot, there are also more players that wish to ruin the experience for others in one location. By adding new options to the Take Action! > Report menu, such as an option for reporting players that purposefully ruin the experience of the game for others, more could be done to help create a nicer community for those who truly enjoy the game. It's sad to see players going out of their way to crash other players who just want to enjoy their favorite childhood game again, and hopefully new options in the report menu could help this.

With the return of Hallowed Woods, there are plenty of players joining up to loot together again. With more players in one spot, there are also more players that wish to ruin the experience for others in one location. By adding new options to the Take Action! > Report menu, such as an option for reporting players that purposefully ruin the experience of the game for others, more could be done to help create a nicer community for those who truly enjoy the game. It's sad to see players going out of their way to crash other players who just want to enjoy their favorite childhood game again, and hopefully new options in the report menu could help this.
Thank you so much for this post. I did post something similar but I guess cause I named the troll they will take down my post...

That's a pretty big assumption Judy. How would one know this and prove this contention.
Complaints come and go in the game, it's a beta for one thing. But the other side of the coin is, are groups, any groups back to the issue of trying to control how others play their own game? "You can't come into the gold room, we are here first", don't use whither, it's annoying", even though it's the best way to level weapons during boss grinds, "don't use your staff/doll, we can't see", "don't use that weapon here" or the ever classic always enjoyable group on twins come up to steal Palifino away from smaller groups working him. Which of course is perfectly acceptable by the bigger group. etc, etc, etc.

Are we going back to that conduct again? It never went away, but has been quieter last half the year.
It goes both ways with putting up with stuff in game.

That's a pretty big assumption Judy. How would one know this and prove this contention.
Complaints come and go in the game, it's a beta for one thing. But the other side of the coin is, are groups, any groups back to the issue of trying to control how others play their own game? "You can't come into the gold room, we are here first", don't use whither, it's annoying", even though it's the best way to level weapons during boss grinds, "don't use your staff/doll, we can't see", "don't use that weapon here" or the ever classic always enjoyable group on twins come up to steal Palifino away from smaller groups working him. Which of course is perfectly acceptable by the bigger group. etc, etc, etc.

Are we going back to that conduct again? It never went away, but has been quieter last half the year.
You raise several valid points here. What we consider trolling is highly dependent on context, which often makes it impractical to moderate.

However, consider activities like stalking, spamming, and griefing with a stated intent to disrupt other players' experiences. Suppose a guild conspires via its guild chat to raid a private looting session with the stated intent of "stealing" it from the players looting there. There's no longer plausible deniability in such cases; the trolling was no accident. If there's a pattern of deliberate disruptions of another player's experiences and in-game correspondences to prove it, shouldn't the players responsible be punished?

Assuming a guild conspired to do something and proving it are two different things.
Again it goes both ways.
What's to stop another guild to conspire to fake their chat and create a false incident. This is actually quite easily done when all involved are on the same discord. Why anyone would go through the effort doesn't matter here.
In other words one can't claim plausible deniability on a assumption. Shouldn't groups who 'steal' bosses or npc away from others be punished?

So basically someone or a group of players are crashing a server? I first thought this thread was about someone saying something against the rules. Unfortunately there's really no way to stop players from going to a certain location and disrupting others' gameplay because no one owns a certain location. You can ask nicely to stop using staff or grenades but it's not against the rules to use those weapons especially when there's a large group looting together. I know these players won't stop even if you ask nicely so the only other options are to leave or to wait for them to get bored and leave. It's definitely a tough issue.

If it is not happening, perhaps the answer lies for more "physical" presence of moderators watching over those specific loot spots on HEAVY populated servers. Of course, I am flying off the seat of my pants here and just assuming this issue is growing into a problem. Still, even if it was not becoming a growing problem the presence of a TLOPO moderator at any given populated spot (again, if this is not occuring) curbs the tendency for trouble-makers to "feel" like they could easily get away with something. (If they begin to 'feel' this way they begin to further take advantage of the system put in place to the point of all out disrespecting it).

Sometimes...it's more a mind-game strategy which helps as opposed to actual disciplinary action taken.

Last edited by a moderator:
This also goes hand in hand with the Dread Poet Storytime. I attended for the first time last week (I think it was last week or two weeks ago, idk, full-time brain dead student here) and I had a wonderful time listening to the stories. What was incredibly frustrating was the amount of disrespect shown by several people who took it as an opportunity to troll and ruin the event for those presenting and for those listening (reading). Not going to lie, it was obnoxious to have to mute each individual person in a particular guild and I wish there was a better way to report these incidences. It stinks when the only option is to mute people and you can't actually mute their effects.
Maybe having the ability to mute certain effects like wither and desolation could be an option? I don't know if that is feasible or not but I'd love that to be available. I don't care if y'all use staff, you do you. I just don't care for lagging out and crashing constantly when I'm at a large group.

It’s quite true that there are no rules against using any weapon at any time in any situation and it’s also true that looting spots are all always open to everyone. These facts can make moderation a little difficult sometimes. It’s also true that I did witness someone state that they were going to try to crash the game using whither in the Watcher’s Hovel, this person did at that time start using whither and I did see a dramatic increase in lag but they did fail to crash the server, based on that I believe that that person has been successful in the past and that if more people had joined them or there had been more players in the Hovel at the time they would have been successful. It’s annoying but not against the rules to barge into a looting spot uninvited but when it turns to an attempt to push others out or prevent others from getting loot the matter is different. In my recent thread about trolls it seemed that a way of calling for a moderator to check on the situation was the best idea but a developer did make the comment that they were not going to institute such a thing because of the stress it would put on the moderators, I really disagree with that assessment but have to concede that such a scheme would likely be easy to abuse so I’m not sure what to think about it. I hope the developers will reconsider that concept enough to throw it around the table and consider how it’s pitfalls might be overcome???

I agree. New categories or a way to explain what exactly the person was doing, like a text box to type, would also be nice.

Banish is only effective on undead enemies, seeing as steel shot is more effective on her over silver shot, im assuming banish isnt effective, suggesting that they could have just been using it to drop frames, Obviously some might not know that but its a point to think about.

This also goes hand in hand with the Dread Poet Storytime. I attended for the first time last week (I think it was last week or two weeks ago, idk, full-time brain dead student here) and I had a wonderful time listening to the stories. What was incredibly frustrating was the amount of disrespect shown by several people who took it as an opportunity to troll and ruin the event for those presenting and for those listening (reading). Not going to lie, it was obnoxious to have to mute each individual person in a particular guild and I wish there was a better way to report these incidences. It stinks when the only option is to mute people and you can't actually mute their effects.
Maybe having the ability to mute certain effects like wither and desolation could be an option? I don't know if that is feasible or not but I'd love that to be available. I don't care if y'all use staff, you do you. I just don't care for lagging out and crashing constantly when I'm at a large group.
Couldn't agree more. Also some of those people whom were trolling were trying to see how long it took them to get muted/kicked. I had a couple of them "bragging" bout it in my dms. Honestly haven't a clue to why they think its funny or something to even brag about.

I agree as well that we need some more meat on the in game reports. From the devs side of it, perhaps it's still adequate, but with some of the stuff I've seen and others have reported, the staff might want to look at the report mechanism afresh. We don't see everything that goes on with those reports so my observations are just as a user on this side of the Caribbean.

And as far as lag, I've watched the lag change on heavy boss fights as players come and go, with no whither, banish or staff weapons in play.
I've seen lower levels wanting to level their dolls and tune in many other players, healing or whatever, and then get yelled at.
So, who knows.

...In my recent thread about trolls it seemed that a way of calling for a moderator to check on the situation was the best idea but a developer did make the comment that they were not going to institute such a thing because of the stress it would put on the moderators, I really disagree with that assessment...
I disagree too, with that such assessment.

Hate to sound harsh but...if someone is worried about having to actually be responsible in lieu of the title granted to them, perhaps it is time for said person to step-down and let someone whom is committed do "the job."

Well, I hate to be the Negative Nelly once again concerning reporting options, but...

First thing I need to say is that trolls will ALWAYS be trolls regardless of what systems are in place to 'punish' or 'deter' them. As a forums moderator, I see this almost daily and sometimes multiple times a day. We have a reporting system and people use it. But, guess what? Those trolls come back and do it all over again. Occasionally we do have some who have learned from their warnings and have changed, but that doesn't happen often. Bottom line is this: trolls will always exist, but the question is how are YOU going to let their actions affect you?

Concerning moderation staff appearing at a player's beck and call when dealing with someone being a troll. This is a pipe dream. It's not that 'someone is worried about having to actually be responsible in lieu of the title granted to them.' It's because of the following reasons:

This whole project is volunteer. NO ONE is paid. Staff do not exist all over the world in every time zone to allow moderators to be present 24/7 in game and able to appear out of thin air to deal with someone being a jerk and using some weapon to cause lag or crash a server. IF/WHEN they happen to be present in game and see/experience this, then yes I can see them dealing with it AT THAT MOMENT.​
I GUARANTEE you that the moderation staff DO and ALWAYS WILL take their job seriously. They do the best that they can given that they are not paid, have a real life and real jobs. They do the best they can with the tools provided. They are 'committed to do[ing] "the job".'

I'm going to repeat what I said above:

Trolls will always exist, but the question is how are YOU going to let their actions affect you?

Well, I hate to be the Negative Nelly once again concerning reporting options, but...

First thing I need to say is that trolls will ALWAYS be trolls regardless of what systems are in place to 'punish' or 'deter' them. As a forums moderator, I see this almost daily and sometimes multiple times a day. We have a reporting system and people use it. But, guess what? Those trolls come back and do it all over again. Occasionally we do have some who have learned from their warnings and have changed, but that doesn't happen often. Bottom line is this: trolls will always exist, but the question is how are YOU going to let their actions affect you?

Concerning moderation staff appearing at a player's beck and call when dealing with someone being a troll. This is a pipe dream. It's not that 'someone is worried about having to actually be responsible in lieu of the title granted to them.' It's because of the following reasons:

This whole project is volunteer. NO ONE is paid. Staff do not exist all over the world in every time zone to allow moderators to be present 24/7 in game and able to appear out of thin air to deal with someone being a jerk and using some weapon to cause lag or crash a server. IF/WHEN they happen to be present in game and see/experience this, then yes I can see them dealing with it AT THAT MOMENT.​
I GUARANTEE you that the moderation staff DO and ALWAYS WILL take their job seriously. They do the best that they can given that they are not paid, have a real life and real jobs. They do the best they can with the tools provided. They are 'committed to do[ing] "the job".'

I'm going to repeat what I said above:

Trolls will always exist, but the question is how are YOU going to let their actions affect you?
I agree that trolls will always exist.

Exactly how said troll affects each individual and the game in general around them is different in every case and is not something that seems relevant to the thread.

When I latched on to the concept of calling for a moderator it was not my intention to imply that moderators should be at "a player's beck a call"; I rather think the the system should inform the moderator that something is going on in a particular place at the moment and that if they have time they should go check it out. I agree that there are several obvious pitfalls but it still seems a good idea to me, an idea the deserves some thought if not actual implementation. I do not expect that moderators will or should be available for this all the time. I do not think that pay is at issue at all so what is your point about them being volunteers? When someone takes a job it is reasonable to expect that they will perform that job regardless of pay, as you said "hey are 'committed to do[ing] "the job".'".

Of course there has been a developer come on and say, much as you have, that they would not entertain a concept of calling for moderation. I still feel such statements are premature and that the idea has not been explored well enough to pass this sort of judgement. As many have said, moderators would seem to be the best qualified people to limit trolling. If that is true then it seems moderators could be more effective if they were at the place where things are happening more often than they are.

I will say this a second time publicly in my life online and I don't really care anymore if it makes me look more like a donkey than I already am:

*If a remake is to occur and promoted publicly, it better be moderated well regardless of the fact and prior to any voluntary effort engaged! (It should be the 1st decision made leading into a remake's start).

I will say this a second time publicly in my life online and I don't really care anymore if it makes me look more like a donkey than I already am:

*If a remake is to occur and promoted publicly, it better be moderated well regardless of the fact and prior to any voluntary effort engaged! (It should be the 1st decision made leading into a remake's start).
I don't think that this issue is in that the moderators aren't doing their job well. I think it has become evident that moderators should have more tools available to help them be more effective.

Back