Suggestion New Report Options

I was at The Watcher In a group and some there think It's funny to see If the get " MUTED " by their inappropriate words used ! It's just a game for them now !! They get NO real penalties for it so why not exploit it !!

Just to clear some things up:

1. From the original post in this thread, my understanding is this is a request for a way to deal with players using certain weapon types (staff, grenades) to "crash" other players:
It's sad to see players going out of their way to crash other players
We will never seek out punishment or moderation action for players who decide to use their weapon of choice when playing TLOPO (Especially when actively playing the game in a non-malicious manner) There is no reason to do so, and I doubt there ever will be. While I understand many players have the belief that these weapons somehow crash their games, there is no knowledge of any such thing by the team, crashes are likely caused by other issues not related to weapons that have not been ironed out yet.

2. As I have seen suggested here, and elsewhere, any type of in-game moderator call would be redundant. There is already an in game report feature, that can be used as it does not require a moderator to be physically in game to review, it is extensive and allows the moderator to review the situation during the time it took place and take action if required from there.

3. While a player waits for their report to be looked at we give every player personal moderation in the form of ignoring a player. This should be sufficient and if a player continues to "troll" in other ways that bypass ignoring, say using a staff, then I fully encourage switching to any of the other 11 servers, it will take a dedicated person to track you down again. While I get this may not be the best solution, it is the easiest way to strike a balance between allowing everyone to play and enjoy the game, and to give our moderation team the time to review all the cases as necessary.

I will say this a second time publicly in my life online and I don't really care anymore if it makes me look more like a donkey than I already am:

*If a remake is to occur and promoted publicly, it better be moderated well regardless of the fact and prior to any voluntary effort engaged! (It should be the 1st decision made leading into a remake's start).
As I have stated above, I hope this helps show you solutions to the issues that have been brought up. TLOPO takes its moderation very seriously, and we want to create an environment that all players can enjoy, and sadly we cannot satisfy everyones needs but only give the tools necessary to resolve issues as much as humanly possible.

I hope this clears everything up, and I appreciate the feedback on moderation tools but specifically when it comes to moderation its important to strike a necessary balance between players being able to self moderate in the short term until their reports can be reviewed. It is a necessary concession in a free game supported only by volunteers.

Just to clear some things up:

1. From the original post in this thread, my understanding is this is a request for a way to deal with players using certain weapon types (staff, grenades) to "crash" other players:

We will never seek out punishment or moderation action for players who decide to use their weapon of choice when playing TLOPO (Especially when actively playing the game in a non-malicious manner) There is no reason to do so, and I doubt there ever will be. While I understand many players have the belief that these weapons somehow crash their games, there is no knowledge of any such thing by the team, crashes are likely caused by other issues not related to weapons that have not been ironed out yet.

2. As I have seen suggested here, and elsewhere, any type of in-game moderator call would be redundant. There is already an in game report feature, that can be used as it does not require a moderator to be physically in game to review, it is extensive and allows the moderator to review the situation during the time it took place and take action if required from there.

3. While a player waits for their report to be looked at we give every player personal moderation in the form of ignoring a player. This should be sufficient and if a player continues to "troll" in other ways that bypass ignoring, say using a staff, then I fully encourage switching to any of the other 11 servers, it will take a dedicated person to track you down again. While I get this may not be the best solution, it is the easiest way to strike a balance between allowing everyone to play and enjoy the game, and to give our moderation team the time to review all the cases as necessary.

As I have stated above, I hope this helps show you solutions to the issues that have been brought up. TLOPO takes its moderation very seriously, and we want to create an environment that all players can enjoy, and sadly we cannot satisfy everyones needs but only give the tools necessary to resolve issues as much as humanly possible.

I hope this clears everything up, and I appreciate the feedback on moderation tools but specifically when it comes to moderation its important to strike a necessary balance between players being able to self moderate in the short term until their reports can be reviewed. It is a necessary concession in a free game supported only by volunteers.
I understand. Also I appreciate the time it took for yourself to share the above. (I took a quick glance at it but will read thoroughly after I write this post).

My question to all of you is - is the present system working effectively? Granted, no system of moderation will ever be fool proof. But is today's system (really) "the best" that can be done?

The issue of players ruining the in-game FUN of others is more than TLOPO. It is a community-wide issue! These problems have existed early on during POTCO's time and I just hope TLOPO understands that the status quo approach of reporting/ignoring is an older approach that can be approved upon.

I am serious too about this issue. It has changed my entire outlook on how a MMORPG game should be conducted. I am "hesitant" now on playing any MMORPG game until better solutions can put more unruly players in their place. It would be bad for TLOPO if there existed others players out there whom think and feel this same way. *The approach TLOPO has towards this...it must be adjusted to counter the trickiest of player!

Last edited by a moderator:
I tell you what, @Shamus The Brute, I encourage you to do some research on how other MMORPG games out there deal with this type of issue. Specifically the MMORPG games with a similar type of game play as ours. Quests/challenges that need to be completed, XP gained, where you either fight enemies and/or other players. Games like Fortnite and Call of Duty are two that come to mind first, but I know there are many others.

I am quite curious if there are any other games that have a way of dealing with this trollishness. However, there is one more thing that I all everyone to remember when finding out how other games deal with this. These other games are run by companies, who make money off their games, and pay their employees. Their staff will be many times as many as what TLOPO have. Just remember that as well.

I tell you what, @Shamus The Brute, I encourage you to do some research on how other MMORPG games out there deal with this type of issue. Specifically the MMORPG games with a similar type of game play as ours. Quests/challenges that need to be completed, XP gained, where you either fight enemies and/or other players. Games like Fortnite and Call of Duty are two that come to mind first, but I know there are many others.

I am quite curious if there are any other games that have a way of dealing with this trollishness. However, there is one more thing that I all everyone to remember when finding out how other games deal with this. These other games are run by companies, who make money off their games, and pay their employees. Their staff will be many times as many as what TLOPO have. Just remember that as well.
I am glad you put me up to the challenge. It would be unfair, after all, if I just sat here and griped about a problem without providing viable solutions. (I will save myself on taking the time though to research 'other' games because this pirates-based game is all I care about. As such, I just hope that if a feasible solution can be presented publicly and on this forums [a solution thunk by someone else or myself] that it will be taken seriously and accepted as an alternative to a system I had seen fail during POTCO's time).

Expect a thread from myself about this within the near future.

I am glad you put me up to the challenge. It would be unfair, after all, if I just sat here and griped about a problem without providing viable solutions. (I will save myself on taking the time though to research 'other' games because this pirates-based game is all I care about. As such, I just hope that if a feasible solution can be presented publicly and on this forums [a solution thunk by someone else or myself] that it will be taken seriously and accepted as an alternative to a system I had seen fail during POTCO's time).

I think it’s very fair and relevant to this game to consider what similar games have in place to deal with this issue.

I will save myself on taking the time though to research 'other' games because this pirates-based game is all I care about. As such, I just hope that if a feasible solution can be presented publicly and on this forums [a solution thunk by someone else or myself] that it will be taken seriously and accepted as an alternative to a system I had seen fail during POTCO's time).

Researching how other games deal with any offenses in game and/or trolls does not require anyone to sign up and play the game.

Ty @Eric Sailcutter for your understanding of this challenge. If we really and truly want to find some 'fix' to this issue, having the perspective of other games and players of those other games will only help us.

Well, I hate to be the Negative Nelly once again concerning reporting options, but...

First thing I need to say is that trolls will ALWAYS be trolls regardless of what systems are in place to 'punish' or 'deter' them. As a forums moderator, I see this almost daily and sometimes multiple times a day. We have a reporting system and people use it. But, guess what? Those trolls come back and do it all over again. Occasionally we do have some who have learned from their warnings and have changed, but that doesn't happen often. Bottom line is this: trolls will always exist, but the question is how are YOU going to let their actions affect you?

Concerning moderation staff appearing at a player's beck and call when dealing with someone being a troll. This is a pipe dream. It's not that 'someone is worried about having to actually be responsible in lieu of the title granted to them.' It's because of the following reasons:

This whole project is volunteer. NO ONE is paid. Staff do not exist all over the world in every time zone to allow moderators to be present 24/7 in game and able to appear out of thin air to deal with someone being a jerk and using some weapon to cause lag or crash a server. IF/WHEN they happen to be present in game and see/experience this, then yes I can see them dealing with it AT THAT MOMENT.​
I GUARANTEE you that the moderation staff DO and ALWAYS WILL take their job seriously. They do the best that they can given that they are not paid, have a real life and real jobs. They do the best they can with the tools provided. They are 'committed to do[ing] "the job".'

I'm going to repeat what I said above:

Trolls will always exist, but the question is how are YOU going to let their actions affect you?

Beautifully put! The best defense is a smile. I've recently been going through some hard times with some bad folks, but you always have to remind yourself that they don't matter to you. All that matters is that your'e able to understand that you can be the difference that makes you happier. Positive change is not given, it is earned through effort.

I believe in the brains and guts and capability of this community to resolve our own issues. I don't mind researching into other games, but this time I don't think I will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back