Suggestion New Sailing Music In The Future?

Tyler Grow

Pirate
latest

Lets Talk Music

Hello mates, it is I, Tyler Grow. If you don't know who I am, I'm one of the composers for The Legend of Pirates Online, and I have something important to discuss with you today that requires all of your feedback!

As I currently write this suggestion thread out I am listening to
Vadim Krakhmal 's Soundtrack to the pirating game called: Tempest. If you've ever played that game I'm sure you'll agree with me that the soundtrack to that game is quite impressive. Almost as if it somewhat mirror's the old POTCO Soundtrack! I've been quite inspired from this soundtrack, and have been discussing the thought of adding new sailing music to the game with the crew since in the game there is only one sailing music track. Did you or did you not know that? Yeah! Upon investigation, we found that the game only has three music tracks and the game randomly picks 1 and you're stuck with that song until you board another ship. Let's take a listen to all of the original POTCO music, shall we? I'm sure you'll find the idea of adding new sailing music quite appealing to you after this...

Sailing A music starts at 0:00, sailing B music starts at 1:04, sailing C music starts at 2:07, and sailing E starts at 4:16. A High Seas Combat track exists, which can be heard at 5:20. Finally, is another sailing track that starts at 3:13 but we're just not going to talk about that one.

Sailing Music E, High Seas Combat and 3:13 are not implemented in the game at the moment, but that could change... Would you like to see those songs added? Let us know down in the comment section below.

Now, let's talk about brand new sailing music. As the composer for the game, I do have the ability at any moment in time to create brand new music for the game. In this case that would be new sailing music. I've had some thoughts about what type of music I would like to see implemented into the game while listening to the Tempest Soundtrack. Here are some ideas listed down below...

• Battle Music A
    Percussion and Epic Strings while you engage in warfare at sea.
    Reference Track:
  • Battle Music B
    This one would be a little different, compared to the one above. Maybe it could be a percussion track. Imagine only the sound of drums beating away to a rhythmic pattern to create a suspenseful environment.
    Reference Track:
  • Adventurous Music A
    Imagine boarding your ship and you hear the excitement in the strings and horns blaring as your ship's mast's unfurled, and you begin your journey to get all the mats in the game.
    Reference Track:

Fun Fact: I've worked on some test music for TLOPO with music that is similar to this track above. It's only a minute long and has some more work to be done.
  • Idle Sailing Music A
    This one if my favorite out of all of them. Imagine sailing the into the waters with your guildmates, or friends just enjoying the sea and you have this sort of -traveling music in the background. The strings are beautiful and soft, with no horns or percussion. Just you sailing with your copperhead that you worked so hard to max!
    Reference Track:
  • Mystery Music A
    Sailing into uncharted waters and you hear a beautiful choir play in the background and mysterious splashing in the waters around you. Your sailors report they've seen mermaids!
    Reference Track: https://youtu.be/yCyj0Or4Fw4
Okay, that last one is completely hypothetical and is at the bottom of the list for a reason. In other words, it probably and most likely won't happen. But oh what a fun idea that is to think about!

In conclusion, what do you think about this idea? Bringing back some of the old pirate sailing music, and possibly adding some new sailing music? I want to hear all of your ideas because if you have wanted this to happen this is the place to voice your opinion! It's time for you to stop muting the music in your settings and immerse yourself in childhood pirating the game and to relive the adventure you had always dreamed about!

Looking forward to hearing all of your responses, remember there are no wrong ideas!

~Tyler

Last edited:
I think it's a great idea to add more variety in how many tracks there are. I don't have any thoughts about limits for how many - do whatever you feel comfortable with and don't overextend yourself. If you also add more land combat themes, it'd probably be best just to make them apart of the general combat soundtrack instead of any specific islands. However, I believe the biggest flaw in the game's music is how long tracks tend to be. While it's at least certainly not Toontown's 30 second loops, I think extending them to 2-3 minutes instead of 1 minute would help immensely in increasing replay value.

I think it's a great idea to add more variety in how many tracks there are. I don't have any thoughts about limits for how many - do whatever you feel comfortable with and don't overextend yourself. If you also add more land combat themes, it'd probably be best just to make them apart of the general combat soundtrack instead of any specific islands. However, I believe the biggest flaw in the game's music is how long tracks tend to be. While it's at least certainly not Toontown's 30 second loops, I think extending them to 2-3 minutes instead of 1 minute would help immensely in increasing replay value.

I completely agree!

I completely agree

If I have to be honest here the sea track that starts at 3:13 really feels out of place and does not fit in with the rest of the group of songs. I'd say we should go ahead and leave that one out for perhaps new tavern / social music and have it replaced with something more suitable.

Both sailing E and the high combat one should be added to the game and ofcourse I'm always a huge fan of new songs if they fit the TLOPO atmosphere.

E: May I also add that I've been a huge fan of Black Flag's sea shanties? Perhaps it is an idea to have some made for TLOPO and have it mixed in with being able to find these 'songs' in loot in some way? ;)

I would definitely love to see POTCO's music_sailing_e track not that big of a fan of music_sailing_d although it was in the game at one point. Would definitely love to see other music tracks for sailing, or anywhere really, that fit the feel of POTCO.

i'm all for more sailing music. i love the current music but it gets really repetitive after a while. i really like Sailing Music E and High Seas Combat so it would be nice to maybe have those implemented eventually. not to mention that the game is in mono, it seems like.

i'm all for more sailing music. i love the current music but it gets really repetitive after a while. i really like Sailing Music E and High Seas Combat so it would be nice to maybe have those implemented eventually. not to mention that the game is in mono, it seems like.

Would you just want the old tracks back in the game or would you be okay with new ones too?

I would definitely love to see POTCO's music_sailing_e track not that big of a fan of music_sailing_d although it was in the game at one point. Would definitely love to see other music tracks for sailing, or anywhere really, that fit the feel of POTCO.

Do you have sound effects and music on when you play too, or is that muted most of the time?

I’m not too sure there could be generic game music, since the dynamics of this game are so specific. Each island has it’s own battle music. In the future I think it would be cool if everything had new music, so it’s jus not so repetitive. Imagine logging into the launcher too and there is new music 40% of the time you log in.

Is it a possibility to add some sort or dramatic music when being chased by War Ships such as the En-Garde, Battle-Royale and Tally-Ho?

I love that idea especially. Not sure about if it's do-able in the game due to limitations with the mechanics of the game, but definitely something to explore later on!

Back