New Ship: 3rd Rate SOTL - the "74"

WilyJaymes

Honorable Pirate
There's many threads which talk about ships of the line being made available for purchase, but I think we've all accepted by now that it's too insane. Moving on. A few others, including myself, have thought of the idea of adding a 4th rate SOTL instead of the one that currently exists. I didn't want my elaboration to get lost in those discussions, so I decided it would be best to make my own thread about it. But after doing a bit of research on the topic, I think it's better if we take a look at the 3rd rates. 4th rates are like the awkward middle child with few redeeming qualities. So... without further ado, an introduction:

What the heck is a 3rd rate SOTL?
It was a warship used by the British Royal Navy throughout the 18th century and in the early 19th century. It was one of the smaller ships classified as a "ship of the line." They would carry anywhere from 60 to 80 guns (most commonly 74, hence the title they came to be known as). 74s, as well as higher rated ships of the line, were primarily used for heavy bombardment, known for their difficulty to maneuver. A compromise in firepower, compared to the larger 2nd & 1st rates, made this ship more versatile. In some of the articles I read, it's called a "supremely practical weapon of war." They were so effective, that during the Napoleonic wars, there were more commissioned 74s in the Royal Navy than any other type of ship of the line. 3rd rates were famous for having a devastating broadside and being very durable. It could withstand great damage and continue fighting. However, it was quite slow and difficult to turn.These elements are perfect for a final mac daddy ship for us pirates to invest in.
Why does it need to come to TLOPO?
For years, many people have wanted a big, end game ship that's incredibly powerful and incredibly hard to acquire. The problem is that the SOTL that exists in the game currently is nothing more than a fat raid boss totally unfit for player usage, and in all honesty, not even worthy of the name. A new 3rd rate ship of the line, however, would be designed from the ground up to be smaller and much more compatible with player usage. It would also have checks and balances to ensure that it wouldn't rule the seas completely unchallenged.

3rdRateWarship.png

Notice the lack of an exaggerated, raised forecastle and stern. There's a reason warships in the 18th century began to take on this shape. From a designer's perspective, the goal is to keep the ship's mass close to the waterline, while leaving only the important bits exposed. That makes it harder to hit. The British Navy really knew what they were doing back in the day. If you'll notice, the current in-game SOTL actually floats way above its waterline. So much of the hull, that should be underwater, is exposed. I'd strongly argue that if this ship were to be brought into the game, it should follow the real world design. That would make the 3rd rate viable in SvS.
SOTLcomparison.png

Here are some stats I've put together for a potential in-game 3rd rate:
Armor: 16,800
Sails: 15,000
Speed: 9
Cannons: 16 (7 on each side, with 2 facing directly forward)
Broadsides: 30
Cargo: 18
Crew: 14
Turning Radius: Very large
(Around 10-15% larger than that of a base frigate)
Weak Armor Location: Back
Strong Armor Location: Front
Base Cost: Acquired via quest. Explained further down.
Resale: 60,000
Required Sailing Level: Mastered
Upgrade Costs: Will add a dedicated section for this soon.
Possible New Mechanic: Slightly increased sail opening time to incentivize proper decision making, rather than repeatedly stopping and going. That means the climb to max turning speed would be slower, but after that it would increase normally.

Ships of the line are basically bigger, cumbersome versions of frigates with more gun decks slapped on top, so I used the war frigate's stats as a base template. When progressing from light, medium, to war, frigate armor increases each class by 4,200 and the sail health increases by 3,000. That's how I arrived at those numbers. The broadside count is high because that it is the defining characteristic of any line ship. Without that, it might as well be a different ship. The tank and damage potential makes up for the undesirable maneuverability. Don't underestimate the drastic effect that not being able to turn quickly can have.

Its biggest weakness, and number one balancing check, is the large turning radius. In SvS, a sloop could easily out-maneuver it, avoid that devastating broadside, and take her down from the rear (the location of the weak armor, and where there is no ability to retaliate). Even in historical times, big ships of the line had great difficulty if caught out alone by a smaller, nimbler vessel. The helmsman would need to be very skilled, experienced, and really think ahead as to not get stuck in an unfavorable position - unable to quickly rebound from a mistake. This is a ship of commitment and carefully planned decisions. That downside, of course, could be minimized with the use of sea charts/tacking, but it's a tradeoff of firepower gained from cannon rams. I believe this feature, as well as the sluggish start off, would prevent the 3rd rate from being grossly overpowered, while still retaining its status as king of the ships.

Means of Acquisition:
A ship of this status should require more than just standard purchasing procedures. So I've thought of a short quest that would unlock as soon as you master sailing. It'll be given by Darby Drydock, the same guy who gave you your first light sloop. How poetic.

Title: Rite of Admiralty

Quest Giver: Darby Drydock

Objective 1: Show Darby that you have 1 of 4 swords in your inventory. Admiral's/Vice Admiral's Cutlass OR Admiral's/Vice Admiral's Sabre. A badge of honor that must be presented before being judged worthy to advance further. Simple, difficult, perfect.

Objective 2: Pay Darby handsomely with a hefty 200,000 gold for labor and as compensation for sending his "associates" to steal secret drawings of this new ship design from the navy. Being a shipwright in the most navy occupied port in the Caribbean, he has access to inside know-hows on where some of the navy's most innovative plans are made and stored. "It'll cost me a whole war brig's worth to get those drawings. Ye best be payin' extra mate."

Objective 3: Spend 2000 oak, 1500 silk, 800 iron, and 400 steel on initial construction. Since Darby shadily acquired the drawings of the 3rd rate, that means he doesn't have one just lying around to sell. Building a ship of this size from scratch would require very large amounts of high quality timber. Oak is one of those things most high level pirates - with hundreds of mat runs under their belts - have an abundance of. This'll give you something to use it on. The silk is needed in large amounts to produce enough surface area of high quality sail to propel this monster at a decent speed. Lastly, iron and steel for all the fittings, nails, cannons, and all that good stuff.

Now, let's say you're one of those few really crazy pirates, and you want more than one 3rd rate just so the other can be a firestorm with pink sails. After completing this quest for the first time, you'll no longer have to present your sword (unless you lost it somehow?) The material cost will stay the same. The price will fall to 120,000, seeing as your guy on the inside already risked his neck to steal the drawings and still has them. You're a cool pirate admiral now. So it's a simple stroll over to ya homeboy Drydock, whip out yer giant gold bag, and say "you know the drill mate."

Conclusion:
Of course our first goal should be to get the game back running the way it was, but I wanted to share this idea if a time arises when we get new content. Thanks for reading!

Below are some additional depictions of the 74 for those who wish to see. Click to enlarge.

3rdRateWarship5.png 3rdRateWarship2.png 3rdRateWarship3.png 3rdRateWarship4.png

Last edited:
But the main reason for not giving players the SOTL is because it would be a "mac daddy" end-game ship.

The end-game set of ships needs variety! How lame would SvS be if everyone sailed the same ship? Even PvE would be lame because people would always board the SOTL's. You know you'd see nothing but them and the AI on the ocean.

There should never be a single ship in a tier. If we really want some better ships, we could add another tier above War for all of them and throw some new ships in there.

Either way there needs to be at least three different ships that are considered more or less "equal" in the top tier of ships. You can throw SOTL in there now but weaken it to make it viable, or add a new tier of stronger sloops/frigates/etc and throw SOTL in there, as long as it's a close match.

Though a new tier would be awesome it would really suck to upgrade...

We can't have the seas favouring a single ship so much.

@Sky Kiwi
But how many people have one of those swords? The idea is to make it so uncommon and hard to get that you would almost never see one. That offsets your complaint against the mac daddy.

We could even raise the requirements a bit. My quest idea was just the result of a brainstorm. It doesn't have to stop there.

Also, as I stated, a 3rd rate has one major weakness: the sloop's ability to play "catch the fly with chopsticks" with it. A 20k ship having a clear opportunity to outplay the beast. That's a pretty darn good balancing check!

One last point. Let me offer you a scenario that would potentially make it undesirable for everyone to just bandwagon the SOTL for PvE. Those hunters can get quite crafty with their crazy maneuvers. It'll be pretty difficult to keep your gunners in a comfortable position with such a large turning radius. Possible, but hard to pull off. It'll take skill and prediction -- the skills of a seasoned admiral. I imagine that some people will still prefer other ship classes for mat runs so they wouldn't have to switch sides so often.

Last edited:
But the main reason for not giving players the SOTL is because it would be a "mac daddy" end-game ship.

The end-game set of ships needs variety! How lame would SvS be if everyone sailed the same ship? Even PvE would be lame because people would always board the SOTL's. You know you'd see nothing but them and the AI on the ocean.

There should never be a single ship in a tier. If we really want some better ships, we could add another tier above War for all of them and throw some new ships in there.

Either way there needs to be at least three different ships that are considered more or less "equal" in the top tier of ships. You can throw SOTL in there now but weaken it to make it viable, or add a new tier of stronger sloops/frigates/etc and throw SOTL in there, as long as it's a close match.

Though a new tier would be awesome it would really suck to upgrade...

We can't have the seas favouring a single ship so much.
So like adding a Heavy War class like what appears in cannon defense? The idea sounds really good and can provide really nice end game content. It would have to require something like a completely maxed pirate to unlock and something like 200k+ gold to buy.

So like adding a Heavy War class like what appears in cannon defense? The idea sounds really good and can provide really nice end game content. It would have to require something like a completely maxed pirate to unlock and something like 200k+ gold to buy.
I don't agree with having the "heavy warships". Frankly the biggest reason I wanna see new ships is I want the end-game ships to be more distinct. A lot of people argue that they don't want one ship ruling the seas, so why don't we create 3+ end game ships? There is no light or normal or war class, it is just a ship in and of its own and it is the end game. I honestly haven't really any idea on how to expand this at the moment but I'd love to see different ships other than the typical light normal and war sloop/galleon/frigate/brig.

@WilyJaymes
I did actually say in the other SOTL thread I would enjoy it if they were obtainable, but incredibly hard to get. I also said they should be banned from SvS though.

I accidentally skipped over your swords part first time I read through. I dig the idea, but there's a few issues. First and foremost, if trading becomes a thing, it kind of invalidates that whole idea. Secondly, if getting one of these swords is a requirement for a ship, I would bet my bottom dollar a lot more people would go hunting for them and therefore a lot more of them would come into existence.

If the turning radius is actually bad enough for a sloop to stick to your tail, that would be a major balancing point. I do concede that. The problem there becomes team play, a couple SOTL's guarding each other would become a nightmare. The other problem is if you cripple the ship too much, it becomes pretty worthless. You mention hunters being a pain in the butt, but if sailing this ship actually made hunters a problem nobody would even sail it. You can't do extended sailing runs without them coming for you (unless the server is bugged).

I don't agree with having the "heavy warships". Frankly the biggest reason I wanna see new ships is I want the end-game ships to be more distinct. A lot of people argue that they don't want one ship ruling the seas, so why don't we create 3+ end game ships? There is no light or normal or war class, it is just a ship in and of its own and it is the end game. I honestly haven't really any idea on how to expand this at the moment but I'd love to see different ships other than the typical light normal and war sloop/galleon/frigate/brig.

This is the kind of idea I can get behind. Note though that my suggestion wasn't JUST the heavy war ships, it was the heavy war ships plus new ships like SOTL. As long as they're balanced well enough, the more ship types the better!

But as I must always point out, the material grind for war ships is already really bad...

Coordinated team effort should always be rewarded. That isn't a problem. I don't see how that's a reason to ban it from SvS. The line tactic is where the thing gets its name.

Slightly off topic, but my vote for trading is and always will be no. So I'm structuring my ideas in accordance with that. If, unfortunately, it does come, then the quest can be replaced with a new untradeable item. And perhaps this item can only be looted at sea, excluding fishing.

As for the turning radius, I haven't thought of a number for that like I did with general stats. I can try to brew that up at some point after a little more research. It would have to be larger than that of a frigate's, but not so abysmally bad that no one would ever want to sail it.

Last edited:
Yes but coordinated team effort shouldn't cover what is essentially the only balancing point in a ship.

People can work together in Frigates but you wouldn't think it overpowered. If you have a super powerful ship with the weakness of "you can get behind it", and take away the weakness, that's a different story.

Well let's just say it'll be hard to get for a reason, becawz it's guud. There's still always that one guy in the back of the line. Wreck the chain one link at a time.

With how rare this ship will be, you'd be more likely to run across six or more grouped war frigates than you would at least two 3rd rates. Good luck with either. Hah

It wouldn't be overpowered in SvS. This has already been explained multiple times. However, feel free to elaborate on why you think so.
Well having to master to get it would be unfair to lower rank players, leveling sailing to 15 is a lot different than leveling to 30, so since it is an open game mode (any ship/rank can join) it would crush even war ships unless they have decent crew.

Well having to master to get it would be unfair to lower rank players, leveling sailing to 15 is a lot different than leveling to 30, so since it is an open game mode (any ship/rank can join) it would crush even war ships unless they have decent crew.

Oh...I would have expected you to be more upset about the quest with one of the 4 admiral line weapons, but ok. I had mastered sailing by the time I was around level 35, so all I'm going to say to that is...git gud.

Getting a decent crew is kind of the whole point of SvS? And how can you say it would crush everything without even addressing the previous points about the large turning radius? If you've ever played MOBAs - we'll take League of Legends for example - there's an entire class of champions called juggernauts. They are characterized by being tanky and having unfair amounts of damage. But they have a crippling weakness to crowd control and coordinated team effort. That's why they're thought of as so OP by lower rank players. It's actually pretty easy to bring one down once you know which approach to take and your team is actually competent enough to follow the plan.

As for your point about the ship being open to anyone, I can't speak for everybody, but personally I would only have mine open to friends and guild mates. The public would be left to their own devices to bring down the beast. We could possibly work out some kind of boarding requirement though. That sounds interesting.

My Two Cents, the SOTL that is in game already isn't that "All Powerful" as people think it is... it actually is pretty weak to be brutally honest.
Also, the OP wasn't talking about the current SOTL which should never be used by players. The OP is, however, asking for a weaker form of the SOTL that arguably could actually be usable in the game without it being either too "OP PLZ NERF", or absolute trash.

Also, adding a new requirement other than "Have X gold and Y Sailing Level" would help prevent what happened when the Invasion of the Brigs occurred back in POTCO, where soon after they were added, the only player ships you saw was the Brig, or variants of the Brig, and nothing BUT the Brig. Meanwhile the other ship classes nearly went extinct (With the exception of Frigate (And Sloop if we're talking SVS)) since there's now a ship that outshines all the others in performance.
+Commence Rant+
It's got the Crew space of a Frigate while having slightly less total hull points than a Frigate, Barely less cargo and broadside numbers than a Galleon, the Speed and Agility of a Sloop, while the only thing it falls behind in is it's excessive price tag, which was it's only limiting factor. Which raises the question of, if this ship is so bloody good at all these things, what's the point of having any other types of ships that are clearly inferior to this one? Seriously, Disney? Could they have made a ship any more powerful without making it too obviously broken?
63f.gif

+End Rant+
Back on the topic of SOTL though, yes in the right hands the SOTL is a death machine, but those people are far and few between. Why? Because the SOTL that some "Lucky" People got to sail is very, VERY unforgiving.
  • Size: A SOTL is an ECKSBAWKS HUEG target. I mean seriously, how in the world do you miss a target the size of islands?! Then again, with how drunk the broadside cannon crews can get when it comes to aiming I wouldn't be surprised.
  • Speed: A SOTL is very slow, and I mean SLOW. When it's not using its Jet Engines to go faster than the speed of sound it actually is very sluggish and combined with it's size makes it into a huge sitting target for smaller, nimbler ships that can dodge the cannons and broadsides, and even a War Galleon without upgrades could probably out-turn this moving island of a ship. Not to mention this speed would make people lose a lot of time trying to get somewhere to sink ships with this or rushing to a port on the other side of the map at the end of a mat run trying to beat the clock while being chased by Hunters and Warships before the crew gets disconnected or crashes, while Galleons would just breeze past them, successfully finishing the run before anyone is dc'ed.
  • AI: Enemy SOTL isn't a good way to see how it could play out for player use. Obviously the enemy Warships are given a health boost (and aforementioned uber speed boost), as seen with the En-Garde how it has more durability than a Hunter War Frigate or even a player one. Meaning THAT what we fight in the oceans, is likely just a "Copperhead" SOTL, for all we who haven't sailed a SOTL when it was in POTCO know, it could be an absolutely cumbersome, awkward, lousy ship that no one wants, like the Galleon! Cause the Galleon has more broadside cannons than any other ship class, but no one really uses them now do they?
  • Repairs: The whole thing of repairs, It's not likely that they will still be a case of "complete one game, ship hp (barring armor repair) is almost fully restored" no matter how helpful it is, since it wasn't that way in POTCO. If they implement a SOTL, however unlikely, it would indeed call for a hefty nerf to repair effectiveness to make SVS fair for all ship classes to have a fighting chance, even against a Copperhead War Frigate with full crew repairing all spots... more that I think about this one the more I feel this is just an necessary evil to nerf repairs regardless of if the SOTL is added or not.
  • Upgrades: Likely Barred from being done for any SOTL ever, because balance reasons and having to raise gold cap for rank 4-6 upgrades.
  • Cannons and Repair Stations: From what we see, there's like a mile between each deck cannon, and from any video of them that I've seen, I haven't spotted a single repair station on the ship, meaning people have to search high and low for the open spot (which leads me to believe due to this being a ship that never was intended to have a crew to do any sort of repairs, there are no repair spots), and with such a trek, it means more time for where people aren't repairing OR shooting at things.
  • Cargo: This is likely where the SOTL would shine. I mean, its so freaking huge that it probably has about 30-40 Cargo Capacity!
  • Crew Size: Yeah, this is the second thing that the SOTL is actually decent at. I mean it obviously would have more crew than a War Frigate/War Brig, but it could be the exact same, judging by how much freaking space is between each cannon on deck.
  • Broadsides: Yep, there's a ton of them. But they would be regular round shot. Since, No Upgrades. Also would take forever to reload due to the sheer number, meaning if sailing solo; it's either you sink the target with one powerful broadside, or you wait 60 seconds for the broadside to cool down, during which, especially (Specifically) if fighting a Corsair or Juggernaut, you likely are already sunk by the time it is ready.
  • Conclusion: With all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if a player SOTL is just an oversized War Brig that cant move fast at all. I mean, it does share some striking similarities in terms of design. Its so huge that it is next to impossible to miss a broadside, Slower than a bloody Reinforced III Galleon, and the aforementioned size makes traveling from one gun to another, or from the cannons to a repair station take excessively long. Should the NPC Warships be added for purchase? I actually think NO it shouldn't be purchasable, NOT because it is op or would ruin SVS, but because we already have Much Better Ships available to us to sail in the game right now.
TL: DR, the SOTL we have in game I am absolutely, completely, utterly, perfectly, entirely, horrifically, killyourplanetically certain, is ill suited for player use.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm fully aware that the current SOTL isn't exactly overpowered in the sense that we think about it. I tried to word my post in a way that says it is more a case of incompatibility with player use. It's simply too big and impractical to be anything other than our version of a raid boss. Other than having an absurdly high hull health, and panel health, it's pretty bad. So... back to the drawing board, this mess is whack. Voila! 3rd rate sotl.

And I agree with you Jack. Brigs are nasty ships (even though I'm working on one) *tongue in cheek*

Last edited:
Ships of the line are basically giant frigates

Not sure this is really the way of it. A frigate, at any size, is a very handy vessel with all round performance and the ability to skirmish with the best. Any 74 SOTL would appear about as nimble a dead slug by comparison ;)

From a personal point, I owuld say, as others have, that SOTL is best for AI's and not players.

When I say giant frigates, I'm talking about the real world versions of these ships. Classification all the way from frigate to 1st rate SOTL is based on the number of guns and/or the number of decks. Other than that, the construction is identical.

Added some more images to the original post. Cleaned up the paragraphs a bit, and put in a little more information.

When I say giant frigates, I'm talking about the real world versions of these ships. Classification all the way from frigate to 1st rate SOTL is based on the number of guns and/or the number of decks. Other than that, the construction is identical.

Beg to differ but frigates did not rank as a SOTL but were outriders and skirmishers. As for construction, yes, trees and treenails ;)

A bit like how a submarine and an aircraft carrier use the same materials... Very different machines with very different characteristics.

Back