New Ship Type Poll

What new ship types should be put in to the game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basil Darkratte

Site Founder
What kinds of new ships* would you like to see in the game, and why?
Besides SOTL

Also, you can only choose one! :D

Schooner: "Small class of ship, lightly armed carrying only 6 guns, well used for 300 years. Schooners come in both two-masted and three-masted varieties. But whether two or three-masted, schooners are fore-and-aft rigged. More common in the United States than elsewhere. Probably not a favoured ship"

Brigantine: "Small, fast two-masted ships. They took their name from the fact they were a favoured type of vessel for pirates or brigands. In earlier years brigantine referred to any small two-masted vessel that could be both sailed and rowed. Later the definition was more rigidly applied to certain rigging configurations. A brigantine is square-rigged on her foremast and upper mainmast, but her main sheet is actually rigged fore-and-aft on a gaff boom (as in the picture below). A brig is square-rigged on both masts. Carried around 10 guns"

Junks: "A ship in the Far East but a junk for many centuries. Although the flat-bottom design was unimposisng, it was highly adaptable to merchant, military, and pirate demands alike.
Among its distinct features were its very high stern, flat bow, wide breadth, and adjustable rudder height. Chinese Junks could range in size from 45 to 100 feet and have two to four main masts, as well as several heavy guns."

East Indiaman:

"large sailing vessel of the type built from the 16th to the 19th century for the trade between Europe and southern Asia. The first were Portuguese and Dutch; English Indiamen appeared late in the 16th century and eventually came to dominate the trade. The ships varied in size from about 400 to 1,500 tons and more; often they were larger than contemporary men-of-war. They were three-masted and invariably well armed for protection against piracy."

It would be nice to see some new ship types for sure, besides the SOTL and the other "new" ships (which are really only varieties of frigates and sloops).

I chose Brigantine because I like the appearance, and think it would make an interesting addition.

I like both the Brigantine and East Indiaman, they would both be wonderful additions. I voted for the Brigantine though, I like the looks of it.:piratemickey:

I favor the Brigantine. The sail type is kind of hybrid between the two basic sail methods and styles. I think this gives it a better look as well as better variety for the gamer because depending on how implemented it gives more interesting deck space design. If they showed a ship that looked as though it had been converted into a pirate ship that would be even cooler. If the game took wind direction into account it would make is lots more interesting and would bring more of the ships qualities out.

My vote would go for both the Brigantine and the East Indiaman which is basically the same ship as a Merchantman both would be historically accurate for the period of the game and location. Junks are cool but, IMO they don't belong in the Caribbean. The Schooner was more suited for coastal smuggling operations as they tended to have shallow draft hulls. Schooners were very popular with blockade runners during the Civil War. The ship I'd most like to see in game is a REAL Man O War, not simply a war frigate labled a Man O War. These were the most powerful warships of their era comparable to a modern battleship in terms of firepower. Often Man O Wars carried 100 guns and served as fleet flagships. From that I'm hearing the new Ship O The Line should be comparable in game to a vessel of this class. If reefs, winds and currents ever became part of the game most pirates would be sinking a lot more than they do now, the waters of the caribbean can be treacherous, even without facing enemy ships. Players would have to learn running and reaching techniques for sailing against the wind. Fore and Aft rigging is generally favored for ships designed for coastal trading while square rigged vessels were designed for the open ocean.

me self i am a little old school, i would prefer to see a Merchantman class ( a Dutch design ) fast as a sloop but smaller than a galleon. now i don't pretend to be a ship officinotto but i think being able to create your own appearence of your ship would be key. my christmas wish list would be an all black SOTL... and have it look run down onboard like the undead flagships... but that would be my choice..and also a guild flag for the ships would be awesome right about now :D

I play Pirates Of The Burning Sea.WE can customize our ships,make our own flags(like a guild flag you mentioned Molly),you build the ships also from the trees,the iron ore etc etc.We had ship of the line but a lot ppl complained so I think they took them out of the game.I know i think there is about 100 ships that you can use in the game itself.I'm a master ship builder and I build my own ships and wow it takes forever.Unlimited wardrobe also lol and at one point I did a mission/quest and lost my leg.So got a peg leg witch is so cool can switch back and forth in the clothing option.I will take few screen shots and post,even tho I know this is for POTC just a few options for you all to see and maybe if we bother Disney enough they will go that route.
EDIT (Dec 7, 2010 1:24 PM):
I also added some info on top
EDIT (Dec 5, 2010 3:22 PM):

Pirates of the burning sea?
Hey Basil

Yeah I'm on Pirates Of The Burning Sea as well,if you are mate let me know.I have a Cutthroat and a Bucc pirate on there.

Attachments

• sarge 1.JPG
    sarge 1.JPG
    520.6 KB · Views: 120
  • sarge 2.JPG
    sarge 2.JPG
    494.7 KB · Views: 112
  • sarge 3.JPG
    sarge 3.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 108
  • sarge 4.JPG
    sarge 4.JPG
    441.6 KB · Views: 112
  • sarge 5.JPG
    sarge 5.JPG
    527.3 KB · Views: 106
  • sarge 6.JPG
    sarge 6.JPG
    495 KB · Views: 135
I agree with you all, you have great ideas! It would be nice to have more of variety and customization in our ships. I'm thinking that instead of upgrading to a normal or war sloop, galleon, or frigate you actually buy a different kind of ship. Now, they've been saying for a LONG time that they're going to add customization to the ships, and that would be amazing, but who knows if or when it's going to come out. We definitely need a captain's quarters and stuff like that, especially with the SotL because that thing is so huge! Whenever the SotL comes out, I really think that they should add some SotL enemy ships as well, more than just in the fleet.

I tried the trial version of Pirates Of The Burning Sea a couple years ago. Graphics looked great but didn't really care for the game play especially sea battles.

I tried the trial version of Pirates Of The Burning Sea a couple years ago. Graphics looked great but didn't really care for the game play especially sea battles.

They just made the game free to everyone,so I cant pass up that rofl.I don't do the PVP on there,only if I have to.

I play Pirates Of The Burning Sea.WE can customize our ships,make our own flags(like a guild flag you mentioned Molly),you build the ships also from the trees,the iron ore etc etc.We had ship of the line but a lot ppl complained so I think they took them out of the game.I know i think there is about 100 ships that you can use in the game itself.I'm a master ship builder and I build my own ships and wow it takes forever.Unlimited wardrobe also lol and at one point I did a mission/quest and lost my leg.So got a peg leg witch is so cool can switch back and forth in the clothing option.I will take few screen shots and post,even tho I know this is for POTC just a few options for you all to see and maybe if we bother Disney enough they will go that route.
EDIT (Dec 7, 2010 1:24 PM):

Hey Basil

Yeah I'm on Pirates Of The Burning Sea as well,if you are mate let me know.I have a Cutthroat and a Bucc pirate on there.

Thanks, I thinking about making an account. But the first time I didn't like it because the combat seemed to clunky. I like to pick up a game right from the start. But they have ships that was used in real, and the Graphics are great! If only potco had those graphics, it could make up for almost everything

Back