No Censorship Wanted!

I certainly hope that one day we have similar content on this forum as other forums... This forum was created partly because of the issues on other forums and I like to think that someday people can come here to read such info and post without those issues occurring instead of having to deal with other sites. I think the creators of this forum have shown such flexibility to give such posts there own sections if warranted so it does not get lost in all the other stuff.

I really hate throwing in an obvious political plug like this... its almost out of line... but it is your forum so to speak. .. every post you make grows it more and that is all in your hands.

I do find it ironic that someone who started a thread titled "No Censorship Wanted" would advocate such PC notions as prohibiting terms such as "rep stealer" Speaking as someone who had sworn an oath to uphold and defend our rights including the right to free speech I do find that PC notion to be offensive. I realize that this is a privately owned site, They do grant us a lot more freedom of speech here than was allowed on the other site, for which I'm grateful. I realize that certain areas of speech here must be avoided in the interest of maintaining harmony and keeping gratuitious vulgarity off site. I'd just hate to see this place fall into the PC trap

Bella they censored a word i sent you on a private conversation,and no it wasen't a bad word.
EDIT (Dec 23, 2010 3:45 PM):

i was talking to Christopher, and he said, oh i though you put the stars in,....lolololol, now would i do a thing like that? I am almost scared to post at another site, jeez they are lenient here and i get banned and censored, I keep saying its all just a sense of humor, all in fun......:oops: (lets try the words in Italian, try to throw them off, hehe) just kidding, treasurer :piratemickey:

Bella they censored a word i sent you on a private conversation,and no it wasen't a bad word.
EDIT (Dec 23, 2010 3:45 PM):
Any censorship like that is automatic, based on a list of disallowed words we enter. (The system can be iffy about what it picks up, so if it's something it shouldn't, send me a PM).

I am against censorship, and we don't censor much as a whole, but there are a few words here and there that are replaced because I'd like to keep the site "clean."

Any censorship like that is automatic, based on a list of disallowed words we enter. (The system can be iffy about what it picks up, so if it's something it shouldn't, send me a PM).

I am against censorship, and we don't censor much as a whole, but there are a few words here and there that are replaced because I'd like to keep the site "clean."

Thats fine in the forum Davy but this was a private conversation and it was not dirty.

Thats fine in the forum Davy but this was a private conversation and it was not dirty.
The system doesn't differentiate. It is ran through the censor list on posts, profile comments, pirates, conversations.. and that's just how it's designed, I have little control over that.

As I said, it can be iffy about what it picks up, so if a word is censored that shouldn't be, send me a PC about it, and I will see to it that it's corrected.

The system doesn't differentiate. It is ran through the censor list on posts, profile comments, pirates, conversations.. and that's just how it's designed, I have little control over that.

As I said, it can be iffy about what it picks up, so if a word is censored that shouldn't be, send me a PC about it, and I will see to it that it's corrected.

Thanks Davy. I figured out how to get around it.

No worries and I apologize.
I have strong views about (against) censorship (especially on the internet). Censorship isn't all to do with "bad" words, and I would say we are pretty open with what we allow here. It's just a family-friendly game and the site should follow suit (when it comes to those "bad" words).

I don't have the ability to turn the word censor off in conversations, but I have no problems with people getting around it in them (provided they are not causing problems with others). :)

No worries and I apologize.
I have strong views about (against) censorship (especially on the internet). Censorship isn't all to do with "bad" words, and I would say we are pretty open with what we allow here. It's just a family-friendly game and the site should follow suit (when it comes to those "bad" words).

Cool to know where you stand! Now I know that it was not you or Treasurer who did edit my comment, and I sure hope it was not the moderator either. The system did it (blame it to the system :p ). On my defense, it was not a dirty name-calling and it was not aimed towards any of the players/people, but rather to the game itself. I feel better now.

Cool to know where you stand! Now I know that it was not you or Treasurer who did edit my comment, and I sure hope it was not the moderator either. The system did it (blame it to the system :p ). On my defense, it was not a dirty name-calling and it was not aimed towards any of the players/people, but rather to the game itself. I feel better now.

I don't think the moderators could have edited if it was in a private conversation because that would mean they have access to private conversations. I know that can't be, right?!
EDIT (Dec 23, 2010 8:15 PM):

I don't think the moderators could have edited if it was in a private conversation because that would mean they have access to private conversations. I know that can't be, right?!

I think it is a good thing that this forums still stands. People should work together to help each and not juge one another. That's why my guildmaster created Skully's Xbones was to help each other in every way that they could along with every other pirate out there.... and for that I am thankful.

Certainly not, the only people who have access to personal conversations are their participants (listed on the side of them). I don't believe in censorship, but I do believe in privacy. They are called "personal" for a reason. We will never read or modify anyone's personal conversations for any reason. Any "***" censoring is automatic by the system itself.

While on the topic though, you will eventually be able to "Report" personal conversation messages (in the same manner as posts), which would give a moderator the ability to review that specific message. Note though they could only review a reported message, and the report feature is only to be used for something which violates our rules.

As far as i'm concernerned i don't judge people. I ased a question in a personal message on the potco forum about actions by male pirates which was mentioned on their forum, i asked what it meant because it happened to me. In which i got a answer that was upsetting. This was actions in the game and it happened more than once.

I think it is a good thing that this forums still stands. People should work together to help each and not juge one another. That's why my guildmaster created Skully's Xbones was to help each other in every way that they could along with every other pirate out there.... and for that I am thankful.
Nice plug... haha jk :p

lol couldn't come up with anything else.....
EDIT (Dec 23, 2010 9:03 PM):
As far as i'm concernerned i don't judge people. I ased a question in a personal message on the potco forum about actions by male pirates which was mentioned on their forum, i asked what it meant because it happened to me. In which i got a answer that was upsetting. This was actions in the game and it happened more than once.

Same with me... don't like it... -_-

Wow.. lot going on here.. I'm of the opinion that if it's not working for someone, whatever the reasons.. that there are always other options in which to stay in contact with people that don't envolve the controls (not controlling) necessary for a site like this to continue to function for everyone. It sounds to me that the site founders have done all they can do to make the site function fair with minimal edits.. and as hard as it is, we all have to recognize that not everyone on here is an adult.. young people are pretty capable of figuring out innuendo too..

I think we are going to need to defined "censorship" more in depth on the site. We are against censorship, but it is not to be confused by "abuse" to the site, or the things that jeopardize the well being of the community as a whole or partially.

So, abusive behavior, and things that threaten the stability of site, will indeed be dealt with, to make sure that all our members are safe, and that we, don't let abusers try to abuse the site, and member's privacy.

Back