Nothing worse than a dead forum

Oubliette

Pirate Apprentice
I see that there are a large number of forum threads that instruct and inform us. Especially us little folk. I am not a social player. I'm always running for some silly, dragging on quest (JUNE!) or sailing looking for specific ships to sink. So I never take the time to talk in game. It takes both hands for the controls and I cannot type with my nose. (*what is WITH that 'auto run' tip that says you can chat while running ... they must know a longer and straighter beach than I've ever found*)
I'm not a 'power gamer', but I take a game seriously.

So tell me. Which is the proper forum for this type of post?

PS not calling THIS one a dead forum

Oubliette

no one, in a place of forgetting

From what I see General Discussion seems a reasonable place for this thread. It's not super obvious exactly what you are trying to say; things about Forums organization and things about chatting in game... I definitely agree that the hint about auto run is dumb and should be ignored, in fact auto run is a completely useless feature of the game. As you have noticed there is nowhere in the game where it can be used to any effect beyond running into a wall for entertainment, lol. Auto run and that hint you mentioned about it were both features of potco, so, even though they are useless you won't see me asking for their removal, I just ignore them. I do chat a lot in game and it does negatively affect my sailing and looting to some degree but the more you do it the better you get at it. If you want to be more social in game then you will need to learn how to pick when to type and type quickly in order to limit the loss of loot and other desired results or just take time to stop and chat. I usually don't stop to chat much and more pick my moments to type when it doesn't have a big effect on my game play.

I use auto-run quite a bit honestly, saves the energy my finger would be using to hold the forward button. Also like Eric said, using it as a form of entertainment to run into a wall it quite exhilarating, one of my favorite in-game activities.

It's not super obvious exactly what you are trying to say
What can I say? That is a valid point. I guess I was saying that I'm not totally asocial in terms of the game, I just need to keep it separate from 'play time'. I was thinking a face book group, but that would be a nightmare to moderate.

What can I say? That is a valid point. I guess I was saying that I'm not totally asocial in terms of the game, I just need to keep it separate from 'play time'. I was thinking a face book group, but that would be a nightmare to moderate.

A nightmare to moderate doesn't quite describe every single problem with attempting such a thing. Even from the more obvious issues of Facebook, being that lots of people would be exposing themselves in a personal fashion to other players by talking on Facebook accounts using their actual names and information, it's still ridiculously difficult to make sure everything is clean and moderated, as unlike our Forums here, it's a hop to even begin working moderation through Facebook's lousy interfaces.

But that's me.

I use Auto Run all the time going long distances . IE: PDF Dock to Fort Dundee . I still Try .... try to chat In game and always gets me In trouble when Auto running ! lol

I've decided to build an alt pirate with no quests. I did have to pick up my sword, gun, and ship through quests. Giving up the other weapons will be an interesting trade off to being at the beck and call of the yellow asterisk. So far it is very relaxing.

Eww Facebook. Not everyone has "drama book." I thought older people (30+) only had facebook lol xD. I dont get the auto run thing either, but then again I only talk to handful of people and usually it is in discord or by phone.

Not everyone has "drama book." I thought older people (30+) only had facebook lol
Heh 2x 30 on my last birthday. It doesn't define us ... well me. I thought it was only older people who knew enough to 'pass' on it. I do keep it to real friends so it doesn't get out of hand :)

It's easy to just stop what you are doing for a few minutes and chat with your friends or some local pirates; the trick is to be able to chat while looting, sailing, questing, etc without negatively affecting your results.

One thing I'd like to suggest for you that you may or may not have interest in is boss looting: If you go on the popular server you can find one of the unique legendary bosses that has an active looting party. You can then join them, I recommend asking. What this will do for you is this: you can get the loot off each kill by only having a single hit, so, you can hit the boss once and then stop to type some chat before resuming your attack. No worries that you won't get loot or that the boss will crush you, lol.

Beyond that when I sail I look for and/or plan for moments where I can sail straight for long enough to type a little chat before needing to turn, shoot, or change speed. It requires a fair bit of practice to get good at that.

Back