Question On audiobooks

Discussion in 'Books' started by Haslam, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Haslam

Haslam Pirate

If you've listened to an audio book, could you claim you have read it's novel? I guess you have taken in the same information than a reader, but listening isn't the same thing.

What's your opinion on audiobooks?

2. James Fireskull

James Fireskull Honorable Pirate

Audiobooks are good for people who are too busy to sit down and read or who just aren't good readers but I personally would rather sit down and read a book. It's hard for me to "see" the story if I'm just listening to it.

3. Falco

Falco Wanted Pirate

Not a fan of audio books, but if someone tells me to read a book on something, I will check if there's an audio version first. Hearing the story is much better and faster.

I read only about technology, so even if I want to, I can't use audio books, because there's none. (Should be obvious why.)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  4. Redness

Redness Pirate Lord

I listen to audio books if they are absurdly long stories... such as Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons.

5. Squidgallows

Squidgallows Honorable Pirate

No, you can't listen to an audiobook and claim to have read it.

6. Grace O Maille

Grace O Maille Pirate Lord

I know someone that travels a lot for work, she listens to audio books in the car while she's driving....I can understand the advantages in that situation.

For me personally I would lump audio books into the same category as the vast array of handheld electronic gadgetry that is around these days for reading 'books'. They aren't books, I don't like them.

When I read, holding the book in my hand, the scent of the paper, turning the pages...these small things are part of the experience that I treasure and can never be replaced by other means. .....if it doesn't have physical pages, it's not a book in my opinion. A story yes, but not a book.

Regards
    A book snob :)