Idea Open Season PVP: Unlocking the Diversity in TLOPO PvP

Nayla DuPont

Swashbuckler
Disclaimer: I apologize in advance if this type of idea/suggestion has already been placed on forums and discussed. I checked through a couple pages to see if anything like this has been posted, but it did not appear.

Introduction
Jumping PvP, cutlass only-style PvP, has run its course on POTCO/TLOPO. While I enjoy the lure of this style of battle (just as others do) it is receptive quite like the rest of the game. To make matters worse, PvP settings do not leave much room for change. In this letter, I will cover X topics: (1) the reason why jumping PvP is limiting to players and the game's progress; (2) why we should increase player health bars significantly in PvP battles; (3) why we should activate potions in PvP battles; (4) why all skills should be fair game in PvP battles; (5) -- which is perhaps given -- increase the PvP timer or create open world PvP on wild islands.

1. Jumping and Its Limitations
Jumping is purely cognition-based, not strategy-based EDIT: THERE IS STRATEGY INVOLVED, BUT THAT ISNT THE POINT HERE. Jumping is about mustering up enough deception in your movement while trying to see through the other person's deception and hitting them with your cutlass combos with precision and accuracy. There is research which demonstrates people vary across cognitive ability -- hence an ordering of "best" to "worst" will naturally occur. Furthermore, PvP jumping, and this style alone when dominating the PvP world, is limiting the potential to unlock new modes of strategy-based PvP.

2. Increasing Player Health in PvP
Increasing player health in PvP makes the battle more interesting, and opens up new styles and play opportunity considering potions and skill-usage (which I will explain more about later). I find it quite boring that one or two combos can take down an opponent. Vanquishing your opponent should be methodological, time-consumingish, and strategic. Consider that grenades are fully incorporated to PvP: about one or two hits from a maxed siege bomb will defeat a player. That is boring. By doubling, or tripling, player health at the start of a PvP match, this problem is avoided.

3. POTIONS, Drink Up Yo-Ho
There is essentially no use for potions other than PvE. They are practically useless there since they last short periods of time and are consumable and limited. Unlocking potions of all types in PvP, along with increasing player health (and weapons/skills as later discussed), the game just gets that much more interesting and strategic. It will probably be a good idea to allow for an amount of potions (not tonics) to be placed on a quick bar like weapons.

4. All Skills Should Work

In order to ensure that TLOPO can be fully understood and actualized as a game, all skills should be available. Combined with increasing health and allowing potions, the curses and attacks from a wide array of weapons warrants interesting battle styles and strategic usage of skills. Think about it: A voodoo doll curse that increases attack by 30%, stacked with a gun attack potion, and an attack from the strongest musket/bb in game. These arrangements can get more complex as we unlock their potential but that means TLOPO has to let us, first.

5. Times and Open World PvP

Since PvP would become more complex and strategic, the average 5 minutes would probably not suffice all the time. To rectify this, PvP should be either endless in time with a best out of one, remain the same but with extended time limits, or/and there should be open world PvP incorporated (which could then also allow for group PvP that is epic). EDIT: OPEN WORLD PVP SHOULD ONLY BE OPEN ON WILD ISLANDS. SO NOT PADRES, TORTUGA, PORT ROYAL, CUBA, SVS ISLANDS, etc. ANOTHER OPTION IS TO ALLOW FOR OPEN WORLD PVP/PVE MODES.

Conclusion
My goal here was not to be detailed, but to plant the seed of an idea. I would personally enjoy to see this become a new experiment for the curious TLOPO community. At the end of the day, I think it would make this game so much better -- and I do not think that some/most of these ideas are that difficulty administrative(?).

LET THE COMMENTS BEGIN!

Last edited:
Some good ideas but of course there are "best to worst". That's how any competitive thing is. Not everyone is good at jumping and that's just how it is. Also, I would argue that strategy is a part of jumping. In conclusion, I agree that pvp should be expanded. However, i don't think the sword meta will ever be gone.

Some good ideas but of course there are "best to worst". That's how any competitive thing is. Not everyone is good at jumping and that's just how it is. Also, I would argue that strategy is a part of jumping. In conclusion, I agree that pvp should be expanded. However, i don't think the sword meta will ever be gone.

Hi Ghoul,

I do agree there are best to worst scenarios in any PvP game. I see now my post was not clear. The thing about "best to worst" under jumping mechanics is that it is more overt not because of jumping as it exists, but because it is the only permitted style de jure. By incorporating more mechanics into PvP, these gaps would decrease. Consider it an inequity argument. With only jumping available, everybody does "have a pair of shoes," but not everybody has a pair of shoes that fit.

I need clarification on what you mean by "sword meta." If you mean jumping and the preference to jump, then yea, I agree. It will not be gone for a while. But expansion, obviously, will not hurt.

Pvp is becoming dead content anyways, maybe this update could bring more attention to it. Also, they need to add team battles, they were always a fun part of Pvp that brought people together to work as a team

Yes. This is my opinion: Team battles and enhancing player vs player content should have came before invasions...

I'm bumping this thread again. Because this needs implemented. PvP is seriously repetitious and boring. And this should be an easy implementable thing for devs, no?

Other aspects should be fix first...imo, jumping is not very strategy based. If you have the time to practice then eventually you will be good. Jump pvp is so potc old and should move on. When it was new, and a lot more ppl and we were all very young and care what ppl thought i could see jump pvp a thing...

It is kind of sad looking a bunch of older ppl think it is still cool :3. That being said no one will be able to top the THREE best jumpers that were in potco (and two still in this game) San, Spade, and Ink. I dont get why you all still keep trying lol but i guess if you dont like looting or the actually other parts of the game.. jumping around like cat on catnip I guess is something to do. Even San has said pvp is boring now.. why cause no one can really compete, and it all the same thing.

I do agree team pvp would be nice. I totally shut down the whole island thing, unless it is one island made just for that and it is only entered when a group is crew up and invite sent. Otherwise you all would try choosing islands that other players enjoy and the EGO's and drama would not be so good. :c

I am sorry you do not know me, or who I was in potco, or this game.. so lets not make assumptions when you dont have your facts. It is old, lol. Only the same ppl even do it on this game, and heck of LOT smaller group then potco. Why because most that did it before notice it is just wash, rinse, repeat with the same ppl. I knew a lot of jumpers in potco.

Last edited by a moderator:
In order for PvP to succeed, it needs to be implemented correctly. One of the problems is the player base. What I mean by that, is the total number of players that PvP. There needs to be a constant influx of new PvPers.

The best way to reduce the barrier to entry is to have ranked matches with maybe three tiers, each with their own currency and vendors. This would allow some progression, allow new players a chance for fun competition and experienced players the chance to earn the best rewards.

Without a system to encourage new players, the devs will be spending resources on a portion of the game only a small percentage will ever use.

In order for PvP to succeed, it needs to be implemented correctly. One of the problems is the player base. What I mean by that, is the total number of players that PvP. There needs to be a constant influx of new PvPers.

The best way to reduce the barrier to entry is to have ranked matches with maybe three tiers, each with their own currency and vendors. This would allow some progression, allow new players a chance for fun competition and experienced players the chance to earn the best rewards.

Without a system to encourage new players, the devs will be spending resources on a portion of the game only a small percentage will ever use.

Your suggestion to the barrier to entry is counterintuitive, I think. People don't want to jump so let's actually offer choice to players. The reason why PvP is dead, is because it's boring; jumping is boring, health is too low, there's no potions or strategy, people can't use their choice of weapon--it's either cutlass or perish (I say that loosely, don't read into it).

Your recommendation, I think, is not engaging. Implementing a rank system wouldn't change anything because it doesn't question to fundamental problem that PvP is restricted almost entirely to jumpers with cutlass.

And removing coding on the way that skills are "useable" in PvP costs no resources--we can at least start there. It's not like you're creating anything new. In fact, I would imagine it to be more resource efficient.

For anyone wanting a summary of my point: Offer choice to players, nerf jumping, and players will then start to PvP more.

I didnt read this right at first lol. Sorry! This will cause more problems then good. Example, Wizards101 has pvp with reward system and has been nothing but hackers trying to beat the system to get that top award. People boost as it is now, not everyone with war master (cant remember exactly the name, sorry, been awhile since potco, and I dont engage in pvp in this version cause pointless imo.) got it legit, in tlopo. They made other accounts and boosted or had a friend help them out. So while it sounds good, it will most certainly bring out all the hackers from potco, i think.

I like Nayla's idea. She seems to have a good suggestion on this topic. c:

Your suggestion to the barrier to entry is counterintuitive, I think. People don't want to jump so let's actually offer choice to players. The reason why PvP is dead, is because it's boring; jumping is boring, health is too low, there's no potions or strategy, people can't use their choice of weapon--it's either cutlass or perish (I say that loosely, don't read into it).

Your recommendation, I think, is not engaging. Implementing a rank system wouldn't change anything because it doesn't question to fundamental problem that PvP is restricted almost entirely to jumpers with cutlass.

And removing coding on the way that skills are "useable" in PvP costs no resources--we can at least start there. It's not like you're creating anything new. In fact, I would imagine it to be more resource efficient.

For anyone wanting a summary of my point: Offer choice to players, nerf jumping, and players will then start to PvP more.
I agree there are issues with combat. As it is, the system is simplified. Let’s add voodoo dolls and throwing knives as examples. Bear with me if I am off on a specific detail here as I dont yet PvP in this game:

An accomplished PvP team has a comp of doll healer, knife mele and ranged gunner. (Weapons and potions allowed at this point, along with crew vs crew). The knife weilder is practiced at breaking enemy attunements, gunner at keeping enemy voodoo reduced, etc.

This team plays a new group that does not yet understand symbiotic comp construction and they get demolished. Not fun for either team.

All I am saying is that before you go to the trouble of making PvP more engaging, there should be a plan to make it more accessible.

I agree there are issues with combat. As it is, the system is simplified. Let’s add voodoo dolls and throwing knives as examples. Bear with me if I am off on a specific detail here as I dont yet PvP in this game:

An accomplished PvP team has a comp of doll healer, knife mele and ranged gunner. (Weapons and potions allowed at this point, along with crew vs crew). The knife weilder is practiced at breaking enemy attunements, gunner at keeping enemy voodoo reduced, etc.

This team plays a new group that does not yet understand symbiotic comp construction and they get demolished. Not fun for either team.

All I am saying is that before you go to the trouble of making PvP more engaging, there should be a plan to make it more accessible.
I see what you're saying.

I think that this would naturally sort itself out in the "free market," though. And uneven battles is part of PvP as I conceded. The difference here is that allowing uneven battles to take place under these new conditions leaves room for improvement as to where jumping will never allow other people to improve upon others. It will be more permanently locked.

Also, remember that this is a beta version. So now is the time for testing!

Thanks for your input :)

Back