Patience, Please

Cheysa Finn

Pirate Lord
Ahoy everyone,

We are on day 3 of Beta. There are many issues with bugs and crashes that need to be resolved. This is going to be a fairly blunt post that in a nutshell is asking everyone to be patient.

I know bugs and crashing are annoying and frustrating and aggravating and maddening. I know what it's like to want to play POTCO again with every fiber of your gamer self. I know what it's like to finally get that chance, but have it be less than what you expected. I know what it's like to not be able to play because real life keeps you busy and then there are no available PlayTimes when you are finally free. I also know what it's like to finally get on but then an update kicks you off.

All of us are experiencing at least a few of those issues. We all loved POTCO. We all want to play again. We all want the game to be perfect right now.

During the downtime, everyone wanted the game to be back up. Now it is, and a good number of people have found new things to complain about.

In order to create the game you love, it takes time. It takes an innumerable amount of testing. It takes updates to fix the bugs and crashing.

Be patient. If you expect it all to be perfect now, you'll be disappointed every time. If you want updates to stop interrupting your PlayTime, then the game will never be finished. If you want to stop crashing every five minutes, then you have to be willing to see updates.

Even with all of the crashing, I guesstimate that you as a community member are seeing more game time than anyone on PF or TLOPO staff. Staff on both sides are literally spending every free moment of their time to make the game happen for you.

We are extremely well aware that the game is far from perfect right now, and we are working to fix that.

Not only do we request that you be patient, but please be kind and empathetic. Demanding that a bug be fixed immediately is not going to make it get fixed quicker. Demanding that someone respond to your thread will only take someone away from something else.

There is no time frame for updates. We do what we need to do, test everything briefly to make sure nothing conflicts, then we open the game back up. This could take 10 minutes or an hour. The wait is worth it.

Release notes will most always be written within a day or two of the update. I write them as a help to the developers so that they can keep developing. I have real life responsibilities, so I can't always get to them when the update happens.

These forums have a nice set up that allows you to report bugs. Please help out the moderators and developers by posting your reports in an organized way. If there is a thread devoted to reporting bugs, use it. Take a bit of time to research before you ask a question. We post things publicly for a reason. If both staffs are using all of their free time to bring the game back, I think you can spend a few moments to make sure you are being a help and not a hindrance.

Please don't expect a reply to a thread or PM immediately. There is no need to ask 3 people the same question because one didn't get to you right away. When I logged in today, I had 17 PMs and 120 notifications to answer. Obviously, I can't answer everything as soon as I see that.

Be encouraging. Make sure you are using your role as a Beta tester to be a help towards the game's completion, and not as an excuse to complain about how your favorite thing isn't working right. Pretend anything you say is being said to you. Do you respond well to demands and condescension? Do you want to continue doing something nice for someone when all they do is complain at you for not being perfect?

If the game launcher tells you that the game is down for an update, then the game is down for an update. We are fully aware of it. Please be patient and try logging in every few minutes to see if the update is over.

Please forgive me if this thread is too blunt, but I feel we could all gain something from these reminders.

Thank you for reading and happy Beta.

~ Cheysa

Thank you for the public post. Awesome stuff and keep up the great work! The game is coming together fantastically!! :)

+1

Last edited:
Another thing I'd like to mention, if it's not too much to ask:

Please do not PM forum staff about in-game issues. PMing somebody is not going to fix your issues any faster. The PF staff team does not have any control over TLOPO (except for a few who overlap in both teams, such as myself - but I'm only a moderator and storyline writer... NOT a developer). Also, please search the forums for issues related to yours rather than creating a new thread about it. It just creates more to sift through. It doesn't help us that there are 20 threads asking about the SAME thing.

I apologize if I am coming off as rude, but literally nearly my entire weekend has been devoted to keeping behind-the-scenes stuff in check, such as moderating and approving character names, guild names, website comments, and much more. Both Friday and Saturday I've stayed up past 2AM doing TLOPO-related things. Numerous members of our team, including developers, have stayed awake around the clock to keep things in check.

Take my word for it - we're all immensely appreciative that you all are participating in Beta. We love having you with us, but we ask that you see our side of things as well. We're working really hard to make this an enjoyable experience for you all. Please have patience and understand that everything will not be perfect right away.

Thanks, everyone. I love our community and I look forward to our future together. Keep being awesome.

JFR

Well said..as I posted earlier...We all must have patience at this crucial time of Beta release. This is the best and stressful time for the Devs to really test out and fix all the bugs you all are coming upon. With the HUGE volume that is pouring in is the best way to see where the game needs tweaking.
I'am still trying to get on the game. I had to uninstall and install the launcher again. Hopefully this will download the files quicker cause it is with my playtime slot....Keep up the great work TLOPO STAFF...HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!

No reason for people to be so angry about it.. After all, it is called Beta for a reason, and Betas exist for this exact reason.
Everyone should be considered privileged to be part of the experimentation.

Thank you for the around the clock hard work! I know myself and countless other people really appreciate it :)

As a former community/server owner of various games, I understand the pain when users aren't patient. There's so much to do and it just feels like everything piles up when users are yelling at you to fix things. So much respect for the developers of the game right now, I hope they haven't gone insane :happy:

As a former community/server owner of various games, I understand the pain when users aren't patient. There's so much to do and it just feels like everything piles up when users are yelling at you to fix things. So much respect for the developers of the game right now, I hope they haven't gone insane :happy:

I think they were pretty insane to start this project in the first place ;)

Just curious if the people who are missing their time slot right now will get another immediately or do we basically get screwed out of the time?Not trying to be nasty just wondering.. Missing mine as we speak.

Thank you for posting this. You think that community members would be more appreciative knowing there are people dedicating their time to help recreate a game we all love. You guys are awesome, thank you!!

Just curious if the people who are missing their time slot right now will get another immediately or do we basically get screwed out of the time?Not trying to be nasty just wondering.. Missing mine as we speak.
Unfortunately, no. The time slots are made 3 hours to try to provide you with as much time as possible while keeping in mind that updates may be deployed during your time.

In order to make progress as fast as possible, TLOPO can't plan updates in a way to prevent everyone from being slightly inconvenienced. This would put them behind schedule and would make it take longer to make updates that are needed to fix major issues.

I recommend trying to get a morning playtime or one during the week (Mon-Fri) if you wish to experience the least amount of interruptions.

Hope this helps!

Ahoy everyone,

We are on day 3 of Beta. There are many issues with bugs and crashes that need to be resolved. This is going to be a fairly blunt post that in a nutshell is asking everyone.....something from these reminders.

Thank you for reading and happy Beta.

~ Cheysa
Thank you for being real! You've no idea what it means to us to not (maybe??) have a cut and paste answer for everything. It grows tiresome. lol

Thank you for being real! You've no idea what it means to us to not (maybe??) have a cut and paste answer for everything. It grows tiresome. lol
I know it's not fun to get robotic answers, and I do my best to be real. In my defense tho, a lot of the time, the same exact questions get asked over and over again, so you're going to see me saying the same answer. This is why we encourage people to research before posting. Also, just because an answer is stated for the 248th time, that doesn't mean it isn't the truth. :)

The more time I spend on these forums the more I realize that this team of people, remaking our beloved game, are among the highest caliber of individuals.

Live YOUR lives first, guys. :) I understand how tiring public relation jobs can be so please don't take on the pressure people might place on you. Though I can't speak for everyone I am of the same mindset as most. WE WILL WAIT. :) we love you guys and thank you for being you and giving us this amazing project.

P.s. I don't know how to tag the staff so If you are one, let the others know that they're just the best.

The more time I spend on these forums the more I realize that this team of people, remaking our beloved game, are among the highest caliber of individuals.

Live YOUR lives first, guys. :) I understand how tiring public relation jobs can be so please don't take on the pressure people might place on you. Though I can't speak for everyone I am of the same mindset as most. WE WILL WAIT. :) we love you guys and thank you for being you and giving us this amazing project.

P.s. I don't know how to tag the staff so If you are one, let the others know that they're just the best.
Well said I 100% agree with you without them we would not even have the chance to even play this game

Back