Patience, Please

Here Here!

I agree patients is key to developing a game especially an MMO as complex as TLOPO. I tired developing MMO's in the past with great amazing concepts put dur to personal time and other commitments I had to stick with my modeling of the game items instead of programming.

This stuff takes time it will be awhile before everything is stable. For all those who complain at least some amount of the game is released regardless if you are able to do every thing you could when POTCO was online. I would much rather have a limited beta that nothing at all. So I thanks the TLOPO staff for taking their volunteer time and money to pride something to the community that is free.

Remember all staff members are volunteers! I look forward to future developments of the software. I actually don't mind the updates it lets me know that the game developers are actively working on the software it's quite pleasant to log into an update. Thank calypso for Japans fast internet though.

Regards,

Devin

Good posts, and I'm sure players understand the need for patience (although it might not seem that way when they're nerdraging, lol).

Personally I've got no problem with bugs and crashes, I just try to work around them whenever possible (and so far it has been).

From talking to players as far as I can tell most issues are to do with the limited amount of playtime, so freeing that up as much as possible would go a long way towards reducing frustration. The effect of bugs and crashes is amplified when players are so pushed for time.

I know it's not fun to get robotic answers, and I do my best to be real. In my defense tho, a lot of the time, the same exact questions get asked over and over again, so you're going to see me saying the same answer. This is why we encourage people to research before posting. Also, just because an answer is stated for the 248th time, that doesn't mean it isn't the truth. :)
True dat.. Great work none the less. :p

Ahoy everyone,

We are on day 3 of Beta. There are many issues with bugs and crashes that need to be resolved. This is going to be a fairly blunt post that in a nutshell is asking everyone to be patient.

I know bugs and crashing are annoying and frustrating and aggravating and maddening. I know what it's like to want to play POTCO again with every fiber of your gamer self. I know what it's like to finally get that chance, but have it be less than what you expected. I know what it's like to not be able to play because real life keeps you busy and then there are no available PlayTimes when you are finally free. I also know what it's like to finally get on but then an update kicks you off.

All of us are experiencing at least a few of those issues. We all loved POTCO. We all want to play again. We all want the game to be perfect right now.

During the downtime, everyone wanted the game to be back up. Now it is, and a good number of people have found new things to complain about.

In order to create the game you love, it takes time. It takes an innumerable amount of testing. It takes updates to fix the bugs and crashing.

Be patient. If you expect it all to be perfect now, you'll be disappointed every time. If you want updates to stop interrupting your PlayTime, then the game will never be finished. If you want to stop crashing every five minutes, then you have to be willing to see updates.

Even with all of the crashing, I guesstimate that you as a community member are seeing more game time than anyone on PF or TLOPO staff. Staff on both sides are literally spending every free moment of their time to make the game happen for you.

We are extremely well aware that the game is far from perfect right now, and we are working to fix that.

Not only do we request that you be patient, but please be kind and empathetic. Demanding that a bug be fixed immediately is not going to make it get fixed quicker. Demanding that someone respond to your thread will only take someone away from something else.

There is no time frame for updates. We do what we need to do, test everything briefly to make sure nothing conflicts, then we open the game back up. This could take 10 minutes or an hour. The wait is worth it.

Release notes will most always be written within a day or two of the update. I write them as a help to the developers so that they can keep developing. I have real life responsibilities, so I can't always get to them when the update happens.

These forums have a nice set up that allows you to report bugs. Please help out the moderators and developers by posting your reports in an organized way. If there is a thread devoted to reporting bugs, use it. Take a bit of time to research before you ask a question. We post things publicly for a reason. If both staffs are using all of their free time to bring the game back, I think you can spend a few moments to make sure you are being a help and not a hindrance.

Please don't expect a reply to a thread or PM immediately. There is no need to ask 3 people the same question because one didn't get to you right away. When I logged in today, I had 17 PMs and 120 notifications to answer. Obviously, I can't answer everything as soon as I see that.

Be encouraging. Make sure you are using your role as a Beta tester to be a help towards the game's completion, and not as an excuse to complain about how your favorite thing isn't working right. Pretend anything you say is being said to you. Do you respond well to demands and condescension? Do you want to continue doing something nice for someone when all they do is complain at you for not being perfect?

If the game launcher tells you that the game is down for an update, then the game is down for an update. We are fully aware of it. Please be patient and try logging in every few minutes to see if the update is over.

Please forgive me if this thread is too blunt, but I feel we could all gain something from these reminders.

Thank you for reading and happy Beta.

~ Cheysa

This couldn't have been well said enough. :) I am so thankful to all those who helped revive the game!

I may be late to the party here on this thread, but I'll perform necromancy just to say keep up the good work. I try to keep a notepad and OBS handy during my playtime so I can write down/film bugs. Everyone can do their part to polish this gem!

Ahoy everyone,

We are on day 3 of Beta. There are many issues with bugs and crashes that need to be resolved. This is going to be a fairly blunt post that in a nutshell is asking everyone to be patient.

I know bugs and crashing are annoying and frustrating and aggravating and maddening. I know what it's like to want to play POTCO again with every fiber of your gamer self. I know what it's like to finally get that chance, but have it be less than what you expected. I know what it's like to not be able to play because real life keeps you busy and then there are no available PlayTimes when you are finally free. I also know what it's like to finally get on but then an update kicks you off.

All of us are experiencing at least a few of those issues. We all loved POTCO. We all want to play again. We all want the game to be perfect right now.

During the downtime, everyone wanted the game to be back up. Now it is, and a good number of people have found new things to complain about.

In order to create the game you love, it takes time. It takes an innumerable amount of testing. It takes updates to fix the bugs and crashing.

Be patient. If you expect it all to be perfect now, you'll be disappointed every time. If you want updates to stop interrupting your PlayTime, then the game will never be finished. If you want to stop crashing every five minutes, then you have to be willing to see updates.

Even with all of the crashing, I guesstimate that you as a community member are seeing more game time than anyone on PF or TLOPO staff. Staff on both sides are literally spending every free moment of their time to make the game happen for you.

We are extremely well aware that the game is far from perfect right now, and we are working to fix that.

Not only do we request that you be patient, but please be kind and empathetic. Demanding that a bug be fixed immediately is not going to make it get fixed quicker. Demanding that someone respond to your thread will only take someone away from something else.

There is no time frame for updates. We do what we need to do, test everything briefly to make sure nothing conflicts, then we open the game back up. This could take 10 minutes or an hour. The wait is worth it.

Release notes will most always be written within a day or two of the update. I write them as a help to the developers so that they can keep developing. I have real life responsibilities, so I can't always get to them when the update happens.

These forums have a nice set up that allows you to report bugs. Please help out the moderators and developers by posting your reports in an organized way. If there is a thread devoted to reporting bugs, use it. Take a bit of time to research before you ask a question. We post things publicly for a reason. If both staffs are using all of their free time to bring the game back, I think you can spend a few moments to make sure you are being a help and not a hindrance.

Please don't expect a reply to a thread or PM immediately. There is no need to ask 3 people the same question because one didn't get to you right away. When I logged in today, I had 17 PMs and 120 notifications to answer. Obviously, I can't answer everything as soon as I see that.

Be encouraging. Make sure you are using your role as a Beta tester to be a help towards the game's completion, and not as an excuse to complain about how your favorite thing isn't working right. Pretend anything you say is being said to you. Do you respond well to demands and condescension? Do you want to continue doing something nice for someone when all they do is complain at you for not being perfect?

If the game launcher tells you that the game is down for an update, then the game is down for an update. We are fully aware of it. Please be patient and try logging in every few minutes to see if the update is over.

Please forgive me if this thread is too blunt, but I feel we could all gain something from these reminders.

Thank you for reading and happy Beta.

~ Cheysa

Thank you so much Cheysa!
Everyone involved is fantastic and I owe you all a debt of gratitude.
Keep up the awesome work! You folks are the best!

First of all I want to genuinely thank all of the volunteers for their time and energy they have put into this project. I do not think most of us really know what is involved in a project this big. So again thank you to the ENTIRE staff of POTCO! !!!! I played this game with my oldest son when he was 12 years old, now he is 19 and still looking forward to this game once again! Now I play this game with my middle 12 year old son and almost 10 year old son. My 12 year was lucky enough to have a beta key given to him!! He loves this game and is always asking me if I reserved my 3 hour slot lol. I understand people get frustrated because of all the bugs and boots in the game. I had many issues at first and could only play beta for about 5 minutes, however searching the forums I was able to adjust the settings based on recommendations from a player in the forums and voila! !!, I was able to play a 3 hour slot only crashing about 5 or 6 times!!!! It was awesome! !!! Thank you again to all the POTCO STAFF and the other pirates who posted in forums on suggestions to not crash. Enjoy all and happy holidays! !!!

Late reply, but patience is a virtue for games. Progress can't be made if the community constantly loses patience and badgers the team to work harder on an already difficult schedule to manage. It can depend.

There are several players at my place, and all have had to adapt and reinvent their game since the lag issue got out of hand.
While frustrating at first, it has become just another issue of beta we must learn to take in stride.
Beta is not for everyone, so if you need perfection, this isn't the game just yet.
Good Luck!

Toothless has a point, if you want perfection just wait until Open Beta. By then most of the issues will have been either improved or cleared entirely. Don't forget, TLOPO can't do this all the time of every single day.

Back