Request Permanent Ignore Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beggar

Pirate Master
Not all pirates make for good company.

In addition (or maybe as a replacement) to the “ignore” feature, I think the game should feature a “block” option that permanently makes blocked players’ messages invisible. There are a few people who I regularly encounter in-game that I have to put on ignore each time I see them, and it would be much easier if I had to option to just do it once and never think about them again.

Yes...I have a few I would love to just have auto block, in case i run into them again...hopefully I don't. c:

Rather than focus on the availability of such an option, is it impractical for pirates to just play at a different time than when they normally play (or play in a ‘different server’ when it is noticed a unliked player is currently active and playing)? *How readily are bad behavior pirates now? If just a few, cannot decisions be made by the player in-game to just avoid certain places where unruly pirates frequent?

Part of evolving a close-knit community into a really positive close-knit community are players working through their differences towards common ground and understanding. Implement a hefty IGNORE feature into the game, I feel, could create the following:

• An atmosphere where players have no opportunity to resolve further their personal differences
  • A community which ends up divided, more or less
  • Unnecessary time/energy put forth by TLOPO devs whom could rather utilize said time/energy better by focusing on game mechanics which truly matter

Rather than focus on the availability of such an option, is it impractical for pirates to just play at a different time than when they normally play (or play in a ‘different server’ when it is noticed a unliked player is currently active and playing)? *How readily are bad behavior pirates now? If just a few, cannot decisions be made by the player in-game to just avoid certain places where unruly pirates frequent?
In a game with a community as closely-knit as you've described, this is not a realistic solution. A great deal of this game's activity is concentrated in a small selection of areas on the most populous servers. A player who is hoping to find Lost Blade of Leviathan, for example, would be making an economically irrational decision to fight Palifico at any server other than the most populated one - which is always either Abassa or Andaba. This player will certainly encounter the same players over and over again by returning to this spot.

Part of evolving a close-knit community into a really positive close-knit community are players working through their differences towards common ground and understanding.
This ideal is at odds with your suggestion that players should just move to another server to avoid annoying, offensive, and erratic players. If the developers really want to foster a close-knit community, they should offer solutions like block features so there is no unnecessary tension upon repeat-encounters with unfriendly pirates. As far as I'm concerned, if I do not see what a rude pirate is saying, they do not exist, and I'm free to socialize with everyone else who happens to be there. If I leave for another server, I socialize with no one.

Unnecessary time/energy put forth by TLOPO devs whom could rather utilize said time/energy better by focusing on game mechanics which truly matter
The issue of toxicity should not be swept under the rug. It absolutely should continue to be a priority for the devs, and this is one relatively simple way of addressing it. To be perfectly honest, it would be a much less frustrating and more constructive way of dealing with unruly players than the excessive chat censorship that we're seeing now.

Last edited:
In a game with a community as closely-knit as you've described, this is not a realistic solution. A great deal of this game's activity is concentrated in a small selection of areas on the most populous servers. A player who is hoping to find Lost Blade of Leviathan, for example, would be making an economically irrational decision to fight Palifico at any server other than the most populated one - which is always either Abassa or Andaba. This player will certainly encounter the same players over and over again by returning to this spot.

This ideal is at odds with your suggestion that players should just move to another server to avoid annoying, offensive, and erratic players. If the developers really want to foster a close-knit community, they should offer solutions like block features so there is no unnecessary tension upon repeat-encounters with unfriendly pirates. As far as I'm concerned, if I do not see what a rude pirate is saying, they do not exist, and I'm free to socialize with everyone else who happens to be there. If I leave for another server, I socialize with no one.

The issue of toxicity should not be swept under the rug. It absolutely should continue to be a priority for the devs, and this is one relatively simple way of addressing it. To be perfectly honest, it would be a much less frustrating and more constructive way of dealing with unruly players than the excessive chat censorship that we're seeing now.
I appreciate the above and also, yourself noticing the conflicting points in my prior response.

Conflict. It is frustrating word. By the time we feel we have a perceived grasp on it’s meaning to us (as a result of a circumstances between ourselves and others), conflict sometimes surprises us in that it churns out the complete opposite outcome to which we were expecting. Since people are known to instigate conflict, it’s difficult at best to understand if said conflict exists ultimately to control us or, if we can control the conflict. It’s not an easy concept to deal with simply because we bring a certain level of bias into the “perception” of how we view said conflict. Important to note is that we are sometimes wrong in how extensive that conflict remains between ourselves and other people.

POTCO has it’s share of players at conflict with one another. To think TLOPO would be immune to such conflict is just downright silly. However, as a player you don’t really want to burn all of your bridges with someone because - as I see it - this is not POTCO anymore, this is TLOPO. *With that said, is it not remarkable that you pirates are even ONLINE playing together when the alternative would be that you wouldn’t (if not for a certain ‘leniency’ and the TLOPO system/machine)?

Because this time around Grace and sheer passion to develop a (dead) game are now the intent of the land, deal with conflict in such a way to where really...you’re quite lucky to see a certain level of conflict around given TLOPO shouldn’t really even be here! With conflict that is extreme however, why not just report the player and trust the in-game moderation system? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the above and also, yourself noticing the conflicting points in my prior response.

Conflict. It is frustrating word. By the time we feel we have a perceived grasp on it’s meaning to us (as a result of a circumstance between ourselves and others), conflict sometimes surprises us in that it churns out the complete opposite outcome to which we were expecting. Since people are known to instigate conflict, it’s difficult at best to understand if said conflict exists ultimately to control us or, if we can control the conflict. It’s not an easy concept to deal with simply because we bring a certain level of bias into the “perception” of how we view said conflict. Important to note is that we are sometimes wrong in how extensive that conflict remains between ourselves and other people.

POTCO has it’s share of players at conflict with one another. To think TLOPO would be immune to such conflict is just downright silly. However, as a player you don’t really want to burn all of your bridges with someone because - as I see it - this is not POTCO anymore, this is TLOPO. *With that said, is it not remarkable that you pirates are even ONLINE playing together when the alternative would be that you wouldn’t (if not for a certain ‘leniency’ and the TLOPO system/machine)?

Because this time around Grace and sheer passion to develop a (dead) game are now the intent of the land, deal with conflict in such a way to where really...you’re quite lucky to see a certain level of conflict around given TLOPO shouldn’t really even be here! With conflict that is extreme however, why not just report the player and trust the in-game moderation system? :confused:

Because a lot of times it isnt a reportable offense. Some ppl just rub others the wrong way. I cant stand ppl who brag, big egos etc.. but I cant just report them because it isnt a reportable offense. Populated servers, as beggar mention, is the best place to loot the higher boss, and popular servers is where these type of ppl hang around. Therefore, and permanent block/ ignore is needed. But should be allowed for everyone...

...but I cant just report them because it isnt a reportable offense. Populated servers, as beggar mention, is the best place to loot the higher boss, and popular servers is where these type of ppl hang around.
I completely understand. You and others might not agree with this but...it becomes “your choice” still to play on those most active servers. As such, you’re putting yourself in an environment rather than the environment choosing you. It’s the same in my opinion when a ship Captain opens a ship up to the public.

If, through your own action, you are going to do certain things you best not be surprised as to the caliber of player you are going to cross paths with in so doing. If it’s too much hassle for you, that is why TLOPO relys heavily on the report option in lieu of moderators. :D

I suppose I understand the want for options like this, but I just see people further isolating themselves from things that they don't like or agree with. With the reporting tools ignoring tools at our disposal already, its still easy to ignore trouble makers and have them banned if they are breaking rules. But this goes beyond TLOPO to many things online. I think of that Black Mirror episode where you can just "block" someone irl or censor yourself from seeing bad things. I guess I'm getting a bit too meta and serious with this but its still something that is important to think about. I suppose its a game and you're playing to have fun and don't want to worry about "all of that." But learning tolerance, how to move on past things, and block things out... I feel like that's the ultimate form of blocking.

Conflict. It is frustrating word. By the time we feel we have a perceived grasp on it’s meaning to us (as a result of a circumstances between ourselves and others), conflict sometimes surprises us in that it churns out the complete opposite outcome to which we were expecting. Since people are known to instigate conflict, it’s difficult at best to understand if said conflict exists ultimately to control us or, if we can control the conflict. It’s not an easy concept to deal with simply because we bring a certain level of bias into the “perception” of how we view said conflict. Important to note is that we are sometimes wrong in how extensive that conflict remains between ourselves and other people.

We aren’t in grade school. It isn’t my responsibility to “make nice” with rude and obnoxious players. It’s my prerogative to ignore them, and I ought to have the tools to do that.

The idea that we’re somehow sowing division by choosing not to interact with pirates whose only intentions are to harass and insult is really silly. Blocking a troll in an online video game is not tantamount to someone being erased from society a la Black Mirror, like Bart suggested.

It’s a bit patronizing to suggest that encountering trolls in an mmorpg is a chance to learn conflict resolution and tolerance. It’s not my job to “tolerate” a rude and obnoxious player who is repeatedly whispering insults in all caps at me. These trolls aren’t interested in finding common ground, they just want to annoy other players, and they get to do so at least once per game session since (unlike every other game and social media platform that I can think of), inexplicably, this game doesn’t allow me to block them.

I completely understand. You and others might not agree with this but...it becomes “your choice” still to play on those most active servers. As such, you’re putting yourself in an environment rather than the environment choosing you. It’s the same in my opinion when a ship Captain opens a ship up to the public.

If, through your own action, you are going to do certain things you best not be surprised as to the caliber of player you are going to cross paths with in so doing. If it’s too much hassle for you, that is why TLOPO relys heavily on the report option in lieu of moderators. :D
So players shouldn’t have the option to fight powerful bosses unless they’re willing to put up with an onslaught of rude or obnoxious players?

We aren’t in grade school. It isn’t my responsibility to “make nice” with rude and obnoxious players. It’s my prerogative to ignore them, and I ought to have the tools to do that.

The idea that we’re somehow sowing division by choosing not to interact with pirates whose only intentions are to harass and insult is really silly....

It’s a bit patronizing to suggest that encountering trolls in an mmorpg is a chance to learn conflict resolution and tolerance. It’s not my job to “tolerate” a rude and obnoxious player who is repeatedly whispering insults in all caps at me. These trolls aren’t interested in finding common ground, they just want to annoy other players, and they get to do so at least once per game session...
I see your points made.

Correct me if I am wrong but you view TLOPO as a means to an end. Most points I have stressed is viewing TLOPO as a “opportunity” for pirates to enjoy themselves again, together online. With my point-of-view, I understand how TLOPO is more or less a Godsend to a lot of players to reconnect again with past friends. Viewing the game this way, one is quite more tolerant of the negative aspects which go along with playing a remake of POTCO with other people online.

Take it from me; a “burning bridges” :madbro:kinda attitude doesn’t really serve you nor others too well - regardless of whether others are to blame or yourself. During POTCO’s time, I was part of 3 separate anti-hacking groups which tried to understand why trolls would do the things they do. Here on the forums, I pushed hard for the “name and shame” (not my phrase) concept to be accepted so that trolls could be held accountable publicly for their wrongdoings. I’ve been there, more or less, to help the community resolve such issues for “better behaved” players in lieu of their gaming experience.

At a certain point, one comes to realize that people...just need to get along with people and so I can understand what you are trying to propose. Have you realized though, even permanently ignoring someone in-game does not end their “action” in-game against you (i.e., grenades being thrown at your direction, pirates following you, ‘flashes’ from a pirate’s staff pointed at you, etc.)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back