Pirate Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are currently working on giving everyone the ability to enter details about their pirates to be displayed on the site.

At present, we have an extremely basic presentation of them, which can be seen on my profile here:
https://piratesforums.co/members/davy-darkrage.1/#pirateProfile

They may also be viewed in a format like:
https://piratesforums.co/pirates/davy-darkrage.1/

You may add your own here:
https://piratesforums.co/pirates/

It currently displays just the name and level of your pirate. You are able to add multiple pirates to your profile. There is no current limit but once may imposed in the future (likely 4).

We are expanding them so you may enter additional information such as ship names and skill levels. It will not come overnight but eventually the goal is to have a searchable list of pirates on the site, that can be sorted in a variety of ways. We hope to also eventually be able to present them in a way similar to the in-game profile cards.

Any comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome..

This is great! It would also be cool if possible to be able to upload a picture of each pirate that would be separate from a profile pic someday.
I was thinking about that.. It's something I'd like to do, I am just not sure how I would go about it exactly. Hopefully at some point in the future.

How do we do it though?
Woke up later than I had planned. Working on it now.

I had considered that too, I just question how practical it is to require members to use that. Hmm.

I wish the leaderboards and community directory for the game were up to date. If they were I could use that to pull ship names/levels for pirates so you guys don't have to enter them manually. Maybe some day.

Pulling it automatically would be difficult because Disney characters all have the same names... or combination of names. Whenever you go to find someone you can find a dozen of them. That means that someone would have to go by assigned id number. Some people have actual user names but they have to changed from the automated id that Disney has given them which is kind of a pain.

I dont think entering it in manually is such a bad thing... different people have different degrees of participation and there are some that would be up to date all the time while others were left blank. Thats okay in a way because that says something about the player behind the character as well...lol.

A lot can be done with the whole profile concept such as adding the piratical info in the form of a form that updates a profile to adding user linked albums to share game experiences to even a blog like page. They sky is kind of the limit in some respects... you could almost lean towards character social networking...lol.

Even with a D-Name, your assigned guest id is still the same. For example, mine is 258555007. (Guest 258555007). Then all avatars have ids.

I was thinking something along the lines of having a user enter a URL to their directory page: http://piratesonline.go.com/#/community/player.html?user_id=387544603&avatar_id=1009926288.
I could have the system extract the user_id and avatar_id automatically, and then go from there to extract levels, ship names, and the like.

Though like you say, entering manually isn't such a bad thing (and is our only option for now, since the directory isn't up to date).. just an idea :)

I 100% agree the sky is the limit. This is the first addition that I've had to think a little longer about the direction I'm taking it, so I can plan accordingly to make all the current ideas I have for it possible. However, before I get carried away I have to start basic.

Mine shows I am level 37 lol. However, one positive thing is the pictures are up to date, and it is actually the picture that is pulled into the directory when you bring up someones player card.
1008185321.jpg

I am hoping to eventually have the display set up very closely to the profile cards, so this should come in handy.

I don't exist either, lol and I also didn't realize there were 3 other guilds with name Spania in it. :p
Looking forward to the new additon Davy, however you decide to implement it, I'm sure it will turn out great! :)

rofl... not only is my lvl wrong (im lvl 47) ive never had a ship named wave demon... and my sword, gun, dagger, doll, and fishing is maxed.... man that sucks =/ that would of been from may o.o

Well since the Disney directory seems to be broken a lot of the time and rarely updated, maybe another solution would be in order? This would have to be done on the honor system trusting each pirate to enter accurate details about each of their pirates. Perhaps a slot to upload a pick of each pirate similar to how the upload avatar system works now. Combine this with slots for us to enter details of our pirates such as our guilds, our Note levels, weapons levels and ships owned. This could be set up in such a way as to allow us to enter info for more than two of our pirates as is the case on the other forum. Some of us have more than one account so, allowing space to enter info for up to six pirates would be great.

Well since the Disney directory seems to be broken a lot of the time and rarely updated, maybe another solution would be in order? This would have to be done on the honor system trusting each pirate to enter accurate details about each of their pirates. Perhaps a slot to upload a pick of each pirate similar to how the upload avatar system works now. Combine this with slots for us to enter details of our pirates such as our guilds, our Note levels, weapons levels and ships owned. This could be set up in such a way as to allow us to enter info for more than two of our pirates as is the case on the other forum. Some of us have more than one account so, allowing space to enter info for up to six pirates would be great.
That is the current proposed solution. We are starting with names and levels, and will expand as time goes on. It is designed to support an unlimited number of pirates, though as I said limits may be imposed, which would be between 4 - 8. My time has been very limited this week, I am hoping to have some sort of ability to add them from the site today or tomorrow. (But then I was also hoping to have that done Sunday..)

Sounds great Davy:
Would you be writing the script for this using a database program to set up tables? Understood about how these things can be time consuming I do a lot of both Software and hardware tech work in my job.

(Warning: technical post ;))
This software is written in PHP, uses MySQL for a database backend, and has an existing framework for datawriters, models, views, controllers, and the like. The pirates are being stored in a single table, with columns for the user_id they belong to, as well as the name and level.

It is pretty simple to be honest, I just haven't been able to put much time in it. The framework is fairly new and I am still learning my way around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back