Pirates Forums and TLOPO

Johnny will be joining us as an administrator, alongside a few other staff changes. Captain Star and I will still be in charge of the forums. We will not be changing our moniker.

I don't think they'll be any official person appointed, but the developers and other members of the TLOPO team will be here to field questions and look at feedback.
Congrats johnny on being admin well deserve

I am a bit rattled by this and not because "OMG SCREW TLOPO" or "GO Deleted member 4172 GO" (per my history I won't attempt to hide) but because of perhaps how early it comes. I don't mind if this happens, what gets me is if TLOPO truly will be successful. There is still much chance and much time before full release, plenty of time in which mistakes can be made. Plenty of time in which circumstances can change and could put the community through unnecessary hardships unforeseen at this time. How can we be assured that so early on this won't be the case? It concerns me because there have been plenty of projects I've watched-relating and not relating to POTCO recreation-fold so early on or seem to have so much progress and an inevitability factor and then just. Fold. I would like to make clear that I support TLOPO and its development team on its own that it does show potential, but I'm a cautious skeptic. I'm not sure this should happen just yet. Wouldn't, perhaps, having this happen around beta be a preferable option?

I am a bit rattled by this and not because "OMG SCREW TLOPO" or "GO Deleted member 4172 GO" (per my history I won't attempt to hide) but because of perhaps how early it comes. I don't mind if this happens, what gets me is if TLOPO truly will be successful. There is still much chance and much time before full release, plenty of time in which mistakes can be made. Plenty of time in which circumstances can change and could put the community through unnecessary hardships unforeseen at this time. How can we be assured that so early on this won't be the case? It concerns me because there have been plenty of projects I've watched-relating and not relating to POTCO recreation-fold so early on or seem to have so much progress and an inevitability factor and then just. Fold. I would like to make clear that I support TLOPO and its development team on its own that it does show potential, but I'm a cautious skeptic. I'm not sure this should happen just yet. Wouldn't, perhaps, having this happen around beta be a preferable option?

Joining together officially strengthens the community & helps the community see that this is a serious group of devs.

I understand your concerns. We didn't make this decision lightly. We gave it several months of consideration, and thought a lot about its implications for the future. Nobody can predict the future with much certainty, but I truly think TLOPO is the best bet at a successful project. And I'm someone who has been very critical and skeptical of past attempts at recreating POTCO. No previous project had made anywhere near as much progress, and I am floored by the dedication of the entire team.

There could be unforeseen circumstances, but I think we could minimize impact to the forums in a worst-case scenario. I don't think TLOPO will be without any issues, but the forums have had our fair share over the years too. What I do think is that any problems that come up can be overcome, and that by joining forces and strengthening the community we have a bright future ahead of us.

At this point the community knows the risks, and appears to deem them worth it. The group developing the game is very serious in their intent. Serious enough to want to introduce this forums to their consistantly-growing following. Look at the increase in new members since this announcement. (pretty impressive, and welcome to all ;) ) Serious enough to trust the staff of this forums with a project that they have spent countless hours working on, for this community. From what I can tell, the forums staff that are playing the game, seem to be enjoying the nostalgia. There must be something to the project that they feel is good enough, as they decided representing TLOPO was good for the community. I'm looking forward to watching this community grow.

i understand the upstart feeling, @Sparky Wonderwolf. the outside community didn't see this coming.

but from my interpretation, the partnership is by word alone and that nothing visibly will change -- aside from a few members having prettier names tags and this thread making it blatantly obvious of the merger if possibility of anyone getting sued were be the case ..even if it goes that far, which i doubt. such window dressing can be easily removed and pf.co would be able to go back to its previous state -- unless pf.co has the tlopo banner tattooed across its forehead or left bottom cushion that disney might want to peek at for some odd reason, there really shouldnt be any harm.

what harm there could be would be done between pf.co, tlopo, and its community members. maintain trust and all will be well.

Last edited:
At this point the community knows the risks, and appears to deem them worth it. The group developing the game is very serious in their intent. Serious enough to want to introduce this forums to their consistantly-growing following. Look at the increase in new members since this announcement. (pretty impressive, and welcome to all ;) ) Serious enough to trust the staff of this forums with a project that they have spent countless hours working on, for this community. From what I can tell, the forums staff that are playing the game, seem to be enjoying the nostalgia. There must be something to the project that they feel is good enough, as they decided representing TLOPO was good for the community. I'm looking forward to watching this community grow.
There's no denying that. There's no denying that a project is comfortable with a forums introducing them into the forum site. Any project would want this type of thing happening to them, I myself if I ran a project would have pushed for it. There is no denying that. There is no denying that this dev team is serious, that members are enjoying the nostalgia of it, and many other things. I'm not sure you grasped what some of us are questioning. In my case, is this the right time? In other's cases, will there be possible things that TLOPO has be implemented on here? With the given history of projects would it not be best to wait until a Beta stage? Its great that, new members are going. That's fantastic. It always will be. But its not what necessarily part of what I'm asking.
i understand the upstart feeling, @Sparky Wonderwolf. the outside community didn't see this coming.

but from my interpretation, the partnership is by word alone and that nothing visibly will change -- aside from a few members having prettier names tags and this thread making it blatantly obvious of the merger if possibility of anyone getting sued were be the case ..even if it goes that far, which i doubt. such window dressing can be easily removed and pf.co would be able to go back to its previous state unless pf.co has the tlopo banner tatooed across its forehead or left bottom cushion that disney might want to peek at, there really shouldnt be any harm.

what harm there could be would be done between pf.co, tlopo, and its community members. maintain trust and all should be well.
The terms of partnership are what concerns me in another way. I'm not quite clear on what was it that this partnership came of. I'm very concerned that others like myself could be easily ridiculed for simply having constructive, valid criticisms.

There's no denying that. There's no denying that a project is comfortable with a forums introducing them into the forum site. Any project would want this type of thing happening to them, I myself if I ran a project would have pushed for it. There is no denying that. There is no denying that this dev team is serious, that members are enjoying the nostalgia of it, and many other things. I'm not sure you grasped what some of us are questioning. In my case, is this the right time? In other's cases, will there be possible things that TLOPO has be implemented on here? With the given history of projects would it not be best to wait until a Beta stage? Its great that, new members are going. That's fantastic. It always will be. But its not what necessarily part of what I'm asking.
The terms of partnership are what concerns me in another way. I'm not quite clear on what was it that this partnership came of.
I'm very concerned that others like myself could be easily ridiculed for simply having constructive, valid criticisms.

sparky. apparently you weren't here for the bonfire earlier today/last night/whichever-happened-first.

hopefully, once all has been thoroughly laid out, @JohnnyDaPirate and @Davy Darkrage will make a statement clarifying everything.
:2 cents:

Excuse my brevity and any typos, I'm replying from my phone.

the partnership is by word alone and that nothing visibly will change
That's not a bad way to put it, actually. We will be working together with TLOPO to make decisions about the future, but our agreement lets us retain a good deal of independence. The day to day operation of the forums will not change drastically.

In my case, is this the right time? In other's cases, will there be possible things that TLOPO has be implemented on here?
In our opinion, it was the right time. The project has reached a state where it can be gradually opened up to the community, and we are aware of the progress they are making with regards to the future.

Feel free to elaborate on your other question, I'm not quite sure what you mean.

I'm very concerned that others like myself could be easily ridiculed for simply having constructive, valid criticisms.
One of the terms of our agreement is that members must retain the right to be critical of the project. We're not looking to censor criticism, so long as it doesn't cross the line into trolling. I think allowing people to express their thoughts and ideas, whatever they may be, is beneficial for both the forums and the project itself.

Perhaps I grasp more then you think. I would like to believe that the Admins of this site do, and obviously would not jeopardize this forums if they weren't confident in their decision.
This. Having run the forums for over half a decade, they are very special to me. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize them. During the negotiations, we tried to keep the interests of the community close to our hearts. We didn't make compromises that would risk any of that.

I absolutely love that TLOPO is using these forums for it's forums now. I check on these forums daily and have been since 2012. This is great news!!!

Excuse my brevity and any typos, I'm replying from my phone.

That's not a bad way to put it, actually. We will be working together with TLOPO to make decisions about the future, but our agreement lets us retain a good deal of independence. The day to day operation of the forums will not change drastically.

In our opinion, it was the right time. The project has reached a state where it can be gradually opened up to the community, and we are aware of the progress they are making with regards to the future.

Feel free to elaborate on your other question, I'm not quite sure what you mean.

One of the terms of our agreement is that members must retain the right to be critical of the project. We're not looking to censor criticism, so long as it doesn't cross the line into trolling. I think allowing people to express their thoughts and ideas, whatever they may be, is beneficial for both the forums and the project itself.

This. Having run the forums for over half a decade, they are very special to me. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize them. During the negotiations, we tried to keep the interests of the community close to our hearts. We didn't make compromises that would risk any of that.

With the above points in mind (proportional to the fact the forums has acquired an additional administrator), could it be explained as to why any project's representative (whether TLOPO or otherwise) is freely granted such an esteemed positional title on the forums when:
  1. Said project itself (drawn from the community) has not even reached full-launch status yet
  2. Representative has not proven him/herself adequately (prior to the change itself) to administer responsibilities to which a forums/bulletin board brings
Thank Ye...

With the above points in mind (proportional to the fact the forums has acquired an additional administrator), could it be explained as to why any project's representative (whether TLOPO or otherwise) is freely granted such an esteemed positional title on the forums when:
  1. Said project itself (drawn from the community) has not even reached full-launch status yet
  2. Representative has not proven him/herself adequately (prior to the change itself) to administer responsibilities to which a forums/bulletin board brings
Thank Ye...
Sorry, long day today.

1) I touched on this a little earlier in the thread, but I'll elaborate a bit. The game is steadily opening its doors to the community, and we think it's in good hands as far as the future goes. TLOPO discussion already dominated the forums, and there aren't really any other projects in the same league as it stands today.

2) Just like when we take on moderators, new staff will always have a bit to learn. I've learned a great deal myself since starting the forums. I believe it is fair that TLOPO has an official representative on our team since we are partnered as their official forums. It enables us to work together and collaborate more closely. That said, we don't expect the staff change to drastically impact the day to day operation of the forums.

Sorry, long day today.

1) I touched on this a little earlier in the thread, but I'll elaborate a bit. The game is steadily opening its doors to the community, and we think it's in good hands as far as the future goes. TLOPO discussion already dominated the forums, and there aren't really any other projects in the same league as it stands today.

2) Just like when we take on moderators, new staff will always have a bit to learn. I believe it is fair that TLOPO has an official representative on our team since we are partnered as their official forums. It enables us to work together and collaborate more closely. That said, we don't expect the staff change to drastically impact the day to day operation of the forums.

The only way the game can get shut down is bye disney and i'm looking forward on what the game has in store for us i'm really exited about this

I personally feel like it's good to have something that's gaining progress as the forum's main point of interest, instead of reminiscing about the past. POTCO was great and I'm glad it's still discussed here, but I think looking forward is what's best at this point.

TLDR: It's better to look to the future than to only keep looking back.

...TLDR: It's better to look to the future than to only keep looking back.
I agree. But for some reason, I am finding out that this only works if you jump onboard with something and accept it completely without question "as is" rather than offer alternatives by those whom also strive to keep the future fully in mind (i.e., 2017).

It's conflicting to mention that one person's stance towards the future is wrong while other people's vision towards it is correct. While I have tried to present things sensitive to any vision or view which is out there (as that was my intention; perhaps I was unsuccessful in doing so), I find it quite ironic that when it comes to the future one must fully accept a team's direction or feel obligated to either bit their tongue to not cause waves or to leave a thing altogether.

The future is both uncertain and out of our control. It's a difficult thing to predict. The one thing we do have within our control is for ourselves to accept opposing views about it along with researching/following-up on legitimate trends. If you choose to do neither, your answer about the future is no less accurate than my own/the next guy.

Best of Luck, ye pirates.
:flag:

:bashhead:

This going back and forth and bickering is giving me a headache. (That is me hitting the wall over and over reading all of this arguing).

I'd like to take a moment and say a few things here....

First, the forums are NOT changing in any way, shape or form. We've partnered with TLOPO. What does this mean? It means that we will be looking forward, toward TLOPO and focusing on the future instead of dwelling in the past (POTCO). We'll still have the POTCO forum (after all it is a great reference point for things in TLOPO) as well as the other forums for the other games. Will our name change?? I doubt that Davy wants to go through that trouble. Besides piratesforums.co is generic enough to cover any pirate game that has been, currently is and could be in the future. Now, tell me how different it looks since the partnership... I personally don't see anything drastic or concerning.

Now, here is something that I wish everyone would understand and accept:
TLOPO is the only successful remake of POTCO to date. Could there be others? Possibly. Could there be serious problems? Yes. Everyone is aware of the consequences that MIGHT come to TLOPO in the future. I say 'might' because there is no definite answer that anything will happen. Are those who support or play TLOPO 'stupid', 'idiotic', 'dumb', 'ignorant', or 'deaf'? No. Everyone who knows about TLOPO knows what the potential consequences are. We all know there is a chance that TLOPO could be taken from us. Here is the important question: Does that matter to us? Yes, but we're willing to have a little time with our beloved game once more than never having it again at all.

What I find amazing is that for 3 years since the close this community has stuck around. During this time we've had ups and downs in the remakes or spin-offs. AND WE'RE STILL HERE. TLOPO has brought back a lot of players who left. I honestly think that since the closing of POTCO and the creation of TLOPO, our community is stronger and more determined to be together again. This to me is the best thing that TLOPO has done for us.

And here is what I find baffling:
Friends are made of all sorts of people. No one is the same. Everyone will agree and disagree at times. What makes the friends strong is their ability to stick it out during those disagreements and accept the other person's opinion/stance/belief. A true friend will value you no matter who you are or what you think. A true friend will respect your decision or belief, even if they dont agree with it. What baffles me is some of you are doing the opposite...

Back