Pirates of the Caribbean Online Infinite Official Thread

What is going on fellow pirates, my name is Ryan or Hoppe, but most people just call me Ryan or Hoppe (your choice). Anyway, after that failure of an introduction, I'd just like to introduce myself as the Graphic Designer for the game re-make Pirates Online Infinite. As you guys have seen by this thread, I have already recreated the main Pirates of the Caribbean Online game launcher and have done lots of work on the future website of Pirates Online Infinite. It's currently in what you could call a beta for a website, adding things here and there and testing links to make sure everything connects to each other. In my honest opinion, it's coming along quite well. Here's what I can say about it, it will look and feel very similar to the POTCO website we all know and love, with a twist of POI in it. I have designed it all myself with the exception of what Disney had already done for me, so thanks Disney. But, I was just sending this message to give you guys kind of a quick update and introducing myself as the Graphics Designer, and I really hope you guys will enjoy the best re-make of POTCO you will find, we've been working hard and I think you guys will like it. :)
- Ryan

Well, since Ryan did an introduction i guess i should too.

Hello! My name is Austin & i'm the texture artist for Pirates Online Infinite. My primary job is to re-construct POTCOs old texture files into something that can be usable in our new engine. At the moment i'm working on re-texturing the tutorial jail from the beginning of the game.

zYYXtH7.jpg

If you have any question concerning the game and its development feel free to PM me.

@Austin4606

If you don't mind me asking… How are you exporting the models from Panda3D (.bam) into something Blender can read? Just using the built in Bam2Egg/Egg2-whatever file type? Or do you have another method? (Just curious, lol.)

@Austin4606

If you don't mind me asking… How are you exporting the models from Panda3D (.bam) into something Blender can read? Just using the built in Bam2Egg/Egg2-whatever file type? Or do you have another method? (Just curious, lol.)
I'm assuming they're using bam2egg then egg2(whatever). BAM and EGG are panda3d specific extensions and most likely will not open directly into blender.

I'm assuming they're using bam2egg then egg2(whatever). BAM and EGG are panda3d specific extensions and most likely will not open directly into blender.

Yeah, that's what I figured they were doing. Just curious if they had another way of doing it.
Always looking for alternative methods of doing things ;)

Yeah, that's what I figured they were doing. Just curious if they had another way of doing it.
Always looking for alternative methods of doing things ;)

The files i opened in Blender are .OBJ files.

As for how they were exported from their original .BAM format, we used a program called Open Asset Import Library. It allows us to export the .BAM files into .OBJ files w/ their respected textures to be opened in a 3D modeling/animating program. Which, in this case, is Blender.

If you have anymore questions just ask. :popcorn:

Last edited:
The files i opened in Blender are .OBJ files.

As for how they were exported from their original .BAM format, we used a program called Open Asset Import Library. It allows us to export the .BAM files into .OBJ files w/ their respected textures to be opened in a 3D modeling/animating program. Which, in this case, is Blender.

If you have anymore questions just ask. :popcorn:

Ah, interesting. Thanks :thanks:

A few questions, if ye don't mind (I would appreciate a 'fair' response to each):
  • Exactly how many members of Infinite's developmental staff are ex-POTCO players
  • What were their "main" characters used on POTCO by these staff members
  • Who will be responsible for the care and security of player information (if Infinite successfully launches)
  • Has Infinite taken into account the necessity to re-evaluate it's full name (as anything associated with the coupling/grouping of the name 'Pirates of the Caribbean Online' could face Disney sanction)

A few questions, if ye don't mind (I would appreciate a 'fair' response to each):
  • Exactly how many members of Infinite's developmental staff are ex-POTCO players
  • What were their "main" characters used on POTCO by these staff members
  • Who will be responsible for the care and security of player information (if Infinite successfully launches)
  • Has Infinite taken into account the necessity to re-evaluate it's full name (as anything associated with the coupling/grouping of the name 'Pirates of the Caribbean Online' could face Disney sanction)
Here are your answers:
1. All of Infinite's developmental staff are ex-POTCO players, we have all played a portion of the game, whether maxxing or just a little, all of us have played the game.
2. I'm not sure what their "main" characters were on POTCO, all I can tell you is that they have all played the game.
3. Our main programmer and lead code designer is taking care of programming all sorts of ways to protect security of players accounts and in-game security.
4. Yes, we at Infinite know about Disney's sanction abilities and how they could at any time for any reason sue us. However, we believe all we're doing is providing a free way to play a once very much loved and appreciated game that they used to have. Disney is not going to be harmed with this and we will take all the necessary pre-cautions to make sure Disney's name does not end up being tarnished or copyrighted falsely in any way. That being said, we will continue to rebuild this game the exact same way Disney had originally made it. Hope this helps.\
- Ryan (Lead Graphic Designer)

Anyone who's worried about POI being sued can go look at Toontown Rewritten. It's a successful remake of Disney's first MMORPG 'Toontown Online'. All they had to do was just exclude Disney's character such as Mickey or Donald Duck.

Here are your answers:
1. All of Infinite's developmental staff are ex-POTCO players, we have all played a portion of the game, whether maxxing or just a little, all of us have played the game.
2. I'm not sure what their "main" characters were on POTCO, all I can tell you is that they have all played the game.
3. Our main programmer and lead code designer is taking care of programming all sorts of ways to protect security of players accounts and in-game security.
4. Yes, we at Infinite know about Disney's sanction abilities and how they could at any time for any reason sue us. However, we believe all we're doing is providing a free way to play a once very much loved and appreciated game that they used to have. Disney is not going to be harmed with this and we will take all the necessary pre-cautions to make sure Disney's name does not end up being tarnished or copyrighted falsely in any way. That being said, we will continue to rebuild this game the exact same way Disney had originally made it. Hope this helps.\
- Ryan (Lead Graphic Designer)
Right. However, besides answering question #1 with question #2 partially answered (with the third question leaving me to 'assume' you mean Atlas), none of this really tells me anything more than what I already did before I asked such questions. Therefore, if @Atlas could answer these himself then I would truly appreciate it (as I am looking for 'specifics' here and not just vague responses).
Anyone who's worried about POI being sued can go look at Toontown Rewritten. It's a successful remake of Disney's first MMORPG 'Toontown Online'. All they had to do was just exclude Disney's character such as Mickey or Donald Duck.
You need to do some research on your own pertaining to the term - "trade dress/name." Now, I am not saying Disney/Disney Interactive will ever take action but nevertheless, there are legalities which exist out there to which Infinite might want to pay close attention to (i.e., trade dress/name to where Infinite's full name specifically could prove confusing to those gamers 'slightly aware' of Disney's POTCO game-play).

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. However, besides answering question #1 with question #2 partially answered (with the third question leaving me to 'assume' you mean Atlas), none of this really tells me anything more than what I already did before I asked such questions. Therefore, if @Atlas could answer these himself then I would truly appreciate it (as I am looking for 'specifics' here and not just vague responses).

You need to do some research on your own pertaining to the term - "trade dress/name." Now, I am not saying Disney/Disney Interactive will ever take action but nevertheless, there are legalities which exist out there to which Infinite might want to pay close attention to (i.e., trade dress/name to where Infinite's full name specifically could prove confusing to those gamers 'slightly aware' of Disney's POTCO game-play).

First off, I did give you straightforward answers, I do not know all of the staff's pirates names or main pirate's names. Second off, thhe legal issues I'm almost 100% sure will be fine. Thank you.

First off, I did give you straightforward answers, I do not know all of the staff's pirates names or main pirate's names. Second off, thhe legal issues I'm almost 100% sure will be fine. Thank you.
And I appreciate that as I have nothing against you as a representative for POTCO-I. It's just that since POTCO-I came onto the scene, none of these such questions have been asked and being that this emulator (like 'most' others I am sure) want to promote their activity successfully with the ex-POTCO community in mind, such "specifics" are important for everyone to understand so that no misunderstanding occurs. (To date, not too much is known about POTCO-I other than some specifics pertaining to the technical-side of the emulator). The ex-POTCO community deserves more, I feel, in so far as other specifics.

To let you know, the legality issue I had elaborated upon was directed at someone else and not yourself. :)

And I appreciate that as I have nothing against you as a representative for POTCO-I. It's just that since POTCO-I came onto the scene, none of these such questions have been asked and being that this emulator (like 'most' others I am sure) want to promote their activity successfully with the ex-POTCO community in mind, such "specifics" are important for everyone to understand so that no misunderstanding occurs. (To date, not too much is known about POTCO-I other than some specifics pertaining to the technical-side of the emulator). The ex-POTCO community deserves more, I feel, in so far as other specifics.

To let you know, the legality issue I had elaborated upon was directed at someone else and not yourself. :)

I know who the legality issue was elaborated onto :) No, I'm sorry for sounding a bit harsh in my previous post, just had a bit of a rough afternoon is all. I can give you guys in the community a bit more specifics for sure. First off in terms of the website, I've completed 90% of it, all we need now is content like news articles and pictures to put in it and then we will launch it. For the actual game itself, currently we have somebody working on making texture atlases (as you saw in a previous post) to make sure everything in the game is textured right for Atlas to program it all. That is being worked on. The website will be up (hopefully) in less than a week, possibly 2. It will let you register for the game log in and see some articles we have. Once the website goes up we can explain a lot more about POI. But until then we're still trying to keep most of it under wraps. I hope you can understand that. We love the community and want to have some more of the community learn more about this remake version of the game, but we do have to keep some things under wraps for a good week or so. When the website comes out, you will learn A LOT about how far we've gotten into this re-make. Trust me when I say this, we are further than another remake.

I know who the legality issue was elaborated onto :) No, I'm sorry for sounding a bit harsh in my previous post, just had a bit of a rough afternoon is all. I can give you guys in the community a bit more specifics for sure. First off in terms of the website, I've completed 90% of it, all we need now is content like news articles and pictures to put in it and then we will launch it. For the actual game itself, currently we have somebody working on making texture atlases (as you saw in a previous post) to make sure everything in the game is textured right for Atlas to program it all. That is being worked on. The website will be up (hopefully) in less than a week, possibly 2. It will let you register for the game log in and see some articles we have. Once the website goes up we can explain a lot more about POI. But until then we're still trying to keep most of it under wraps. I hope you can understand that. We love the community and want to have some more of the community learn more about this remake version of the game, but we do have to keep some things under wraps for a good week or so. When the website comes out, you will learn A LOT about how far we've gotten into this re-make. Trust me when I say this, we are further than another remake.
I like how POTCO Infinite does not have any arguments among themselves xD

@Hopsicle So the website for POTCO-I will be up in a week or two like you said. So do you all have any improvements to the website besides the logo? Like changing the background, the font, etc.?

I have a question. Is POI going to have the old bodies from the original POTCO (pre 2010), or just the new bodies form 2010 on? I don't really mind if their will only be new bodies (quiet frankly I just want the game back), but the old bodies would be nice :p

Back