Discussion Pirates Online Classic

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by internetpirate, Apr 6, 2018.

1. squintz

squintz Pirate Lord

Is that with the occasional Teague play of sarcasm?

2. squintz

squintz Pirate Lord

@internetpirate
    NP. I was inquiring as to the perception of professionalism. Where was that coming from , not questioning why you posted it.
    What in your opinion gave you the impression they were professional?
    I don't have discord, so I only see the few posts here and they look pretty much the same.
    Is there a fb, or regular forum instead of a relatively closed venue like discord.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  3. Stephen Teague

Stephen Teague Pirate Lord

Possibly

tiberias likes this.
  4. YohoYohoapirateslifeforme

YohoYohoapirateslifeforme Pirate Apprentice

I personally have never had a problem with TLOPO staff. Both POC, and TLOPO staff have been very courteous to me, answering questions very politely, and being enthusiastic about their work. I really think whether you prefer one over the other is really just a matter of preference. People are usually half and half some loved POTCO back in 2008 (which is what I preferred) while some liked it in later years up until its closing. Dont get me wrong I think TLOPO did a AMAZING Job, and continues to do so improving upon POTCO's universe gradually expanding. But after the updates of '08 in POTCO I became sort of inactive some of my friends went completely inactive, that was just our preference so to say POC doesn't have a wide audience is inaccurate. I have already had a huge amount of people I haven't talked to since middle school that branched off to different friend groups in Highschool call me up to ask if I am ready to return to the game with them It almost had a magical feeling to it as many products by Disney do I will still play TLOPO, but I really do miss the old POTCO there is a nostalgia associated with it so I am so excited to see POC come to fruition I dont think it is wise to divide ourselves, we should build up our colleagues working in a very competitive industry most of my life where people wont hesitate to slip something in your water bottle to mess up your vocal performance. I have found it is so much easier and rewarding to look at others as colleagues, rather then enemies, or competition and to give tips and advice and compliment eachother on your strong points rather than focusing on others flaws maybe ive just been drinking too much but that is how I see it I have stated my tipsy two cents your welcome

Buddah on quaaludes signing out!

5. Shamus The Brute

Site Founder

First off, I do respect your points made about everyone having their own preferences. Also, I wish you and your friends would have stuck around during POTCO’s later years because your comment/feelings made about Disney’s magic in lieu of them creating POTCO could have been used readily towards a different effort to have the game remain open (prior to POTCO being shuttered and like a bazillion remakes being started).

Secondly, I would just like to point out too that a lot of hesitation within the community (towards other remakes) used to exist because a lot of crud went down/a lot of wrong had occurred. ***What particularly ticked me off :mad: is other people’s work on code got taken and other people took advantage of that!!! In addition, the whole community itself was put at risk by individual(s) profiting off of the very code used to run POTCO.

I don’t bring all this up here to this particular thread to diss POC in any way. I am bringing this up because I feel I needed to quote a few comments you had written here to provide some explanation as to why there might still remain some reluctance to everyone jumping for JOY that another remake is in the works. (If those inner-community feelings have since ‘changed’ but I am not aware of this, my sincere apologies to you and to those associated with POC).

6. Crashalot

Crashalot Pirate Lord

Just make it happen already and people will come if they see fit.
    No begging, no stealing, no drama.

7. internetpirate

internetpirate Pirate Master

I'm honestly just glad that people are excited for the project, active discord or not(the game isn't even released yet so i don't anticipate things being extremely active), I'm not a fan of drama never have been, people have their own seperate opinions on remakes/projects and that's fine. Being able to take this criticism openly is key, our code is original (the server-side of course) always has been and always will be.

8. Sparky Wonderwolf

Site Founder

Part of me feels there should be a more consolidated effort to bring back the game in a bugless state, but at the same time I have never experienced what others did in 2008 when the island's were very different. Mainly due to the fact I joined the game just days after the last new island makeovers and overhauls. C'est la vie. I wish the best of luck.

9. YohoYohoapirateslifeforme

YohoYohoapirateslifeforme Pirate Apprentice

I can definitely see where you are coming from, and I agree that is terrible that other peoples work was stolen, and they were not given credit but because there was drama with other groups, and fowl play, we cannot assume that every other person setting out to recreate a game will do the same. Unfortunately we see this in our society with stereotypes. People see one person who is different, and assume everyone in that group will have the same mannerisms, actions etc... almost as if its predestined Im just saying lets give them a fair chance and be enthusiastic because if they are surrounded by negativity, they are going to feel negative about themselves, and they came out here just wanting to have fun and share it with others. By all means if someone does something wrong let them know but they are just beginning, we shouldn't label them before we even get to know them. If people made judgements solely based on assumptions imagine how crazy the world would be (in some cases it is)

10. squintz

squintz Pirate Lord

I'm very confused what you mean by original server side. Isn't the game code from Disney both the client and server? How could the game be run with some sort of original code server side.
    Are you at liberty to publicly comment on this?
    thank you.

11. internetpirate

The portion of code that's disney is the client side, it's physically impossible to obtain the server side code, that's completely internal disney property, the client code is apart of the distributed production game that you installed on your computer back in the day.

deanaug likes this.
  12. deanaug

deanaug Notorious Pirate

Yep, pretty sure this has been explained before, but this is a good summary of the process. Not sure where people get the impression that all the original server/client code was simply "handed to" anyone undertaking a remake, that's not true in the slightest.

To add to this, the client code is initially in a compiled version known as bytecode. The bytecode must be run through a decompiler to reverse the source code that is human readable. Unfortunately, decompilers are not perfect, so in some cases the source code is not recovered perfectly; those portions must be further corrected manually to produce accurate source. Failure to fix up the decompiled source leads to a very buggy client in our case.

13. squintz

squintz Pirate Lord

Thank you. Apparently I'm confused in the very basic concept of client/server code. I assumed, I was the client and had a set code supplied to me on the initial download, and the supplier of the game is the server with their server code. I join the server with the the client code on my system.
    So I thought the client code was the publicly available one and the server code was disneys private. And tlopo had to build their version of server code to work with the publicly available code. so, now IDK. This is confusing. The portion of code that's disney is the client side, it's physically impossible to obtain the server side code

14. squintz

squintz Pirate Lord

edit: re-reading this about 10 times, I think I'm sticking on syntax, should this read - the portion of code that's disney, which is downloadable to the public is the client side...? Which is clearer to me now.

Dunno, reading comprehension, old age...rum?

15. Crashalot

Crashalot Pirate Lord

Look, I'm not gonna lie.
    I will play this game if it's good and available.

Cleopatricia and internetpirate like this.
  16. deanaug

deanaug Notorious Pirate

"So I thought the client code was the publicly available one and the server code was disneys private. And tlopo had to build their version of server code to work with the publicly available code."

This is correct, you aren't confused at all! POC will have to go through the same process for their '08 version of POTCO (build their own server side, reverse engineer the '08 client side).

internetpirate likes this.
  17. squintz

squintz Pirate Lord

Thank you. You can teach old pirates new tricks.
    Now, why is there air?

deanaug likes this.
  18. squintz

squintz Pirate Lord

So, on top of scratch building server code, the client code can still be flawed with mistakes in decom?
    Also, is it possible the other groups may try to use windows directx api as the server code? Perhaps is this what they mean by different original server comments?

19. internetpirate

We're happy to hear that! :D

DirectX doesn't have any relation to the server, however we intend on using OpenGL.

20. vainatheart

vainatheart Buccaneer

Isn't OpenGl pretty much dead? I mean I guess it pretty much doesn't matter since this thing is ancient but still lol.