Pirates Online Rewritten

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Shamus The Brute, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shamus The Brute

Was wondering if those players either associated or affiliated with the "Pirates Online Rewritten" (formerly 'Pirates of Legend') could post information here concerning this project.

Unless I am mistaken, the POTCO community in general (whom do not frequent the Wiki regularly) have received little knowledge/notification about this project. Avast! At the expense of sounding cliché, "inquiry minds would like to know." :)

I understand that recent changes affecting "Rewritten" have influenced project leaders to decide to revert towards the implementation of the Panda3d engine which, has me wondering as an outsider if the same kind of bugs and/or glitches players did face within POTCO will affect this gaming project as well. Also, I am left to ponder what project updates could we receive - as ex-POTCO players - to where we would want to take an interest towards "Rewritten."

If you - as a forums member - are associated with this project (or 'know' someone that is), I encourage you to openly share with the community what you may know concerning "Rewritten" so the community may familiarize themselves better with the project which would help everyone out within the long-run.
    Thank Ye, me hearties ~ :arrrrr:

2. jzfredskins

Forum Mod

Shamus The Brute
    I've contacted the developers and I've compiled a Frequently Asked Questions summary that should hopefully answer your questions.

1. POTCO had many issues with the Panda3D engine. What steps are you taking, if any, to resolve those issues?
    • I don't know how we're going to resolve the issues yet. We're using Panda3D to develop Pirates Online Rewritten because POTCO used that engine.
    2. Will you be attempting to fix previously known bugs (swift foot, lag, etc...) or will they remain in the game?
    • We'll do our best to fix any issue Pirates Online Rewritten has. However about the swift foot glitch, in my opinion, I don't think that glitch is bad, besides using it in PVP which makes people mad, but if everyone wants the swift foot glitch fixed, we are happy to fix it. (We'll make fixes based on what the community wants.)
    3. Once you role out POR to the public, will you be creating your own updates or will POR remain as is?
    • Pirates Online Rewritten will remain the same as POTCO with more new updates/content and some promises Disney made. However, please do not expect or beg us to release something new every month/year.
    4. Is anything specifically going to be done about the hacking issue?
    • We could try to find a way to make Pirates Online Rewritten complicated to hack, same as Toontown Rewritten made their game complicated to hack. Other than that, we will make sure to ban hackers right away once you report them.
    5. Long term, how are you planning to sustain yourself? If you can't make any money off of POR, what or who is paying for the servers, etc...?
    • Yes, everyone has been asking us that a lot. We are still unsure about the servers but here are the two options we could do:
    1) Just pay money for the servers.​
    2) Ask Disney to tell us what we can do about the servers. I think it's best to ask Disney. If not, we'll figure something out.​

3. Irene

Irene Pirate Master

Those two seem to be the most important Questions at the moment... Everyone loved POTCO but they also wanted Updates. And about the 2nd Question... I don't know... even if they ask Disney, it's not like they will give them the money for them. And I'm not sure if they can afford paying themselves so much for POR. We'll see how it goes, but personally I think its getting a bit ridiculous trying to re-build POTCO. (This goes to both POTHS and POR projects). Sometimes you have to let things be as they are, maybe its the best choice.

Bobby Flat Foot and Bart Gunshot like this.
  4. Charles Warmonk

Forum Mod

Well, if you have any other questions I can get Gleamings head of (Pirates of Legend) or Zachary head of (Pirates of the High Forums Seas) I am helping with both projects.

If the forums has any questions feel free to replay to this post and I will gladly answer any of your gaming questions ^_^

tom da ninja boy likes this.
  5. tom da ninja boy

tom da ninja boy Wanted Pirate

i might play pirates online rewritten, but im really looking forward to POTHS

6. Davy Gunfish

Davy Gunfish Pirate Apprentice

Excuse me for being a downer, but I for one do not believe that Pirates Online Rewritten will be finished. Just the amount of work needed to implement all of the features of the game, let alone paying for servers. Star Wars Galaxies Emulator has been working nonstop in trying to emulate SWG, they've been at it for years and are just barely in the alpha stage, they plan on entering beta a long time away, with release being even further in the future. Of course, you could say that PotCO is a smaller game, so it should take a lot less time to successfully emulate it, but it would still take a huge amount of time to do so.

7. Charles Warmonk

Forum Mod

The game (POTBS) They already have $2,500 invested into the game and are still raising money. It also has amazing sea graphics and enemy test is up as well as videos on gameplay. As for (POL) There low on sea set up. HOWEVER, there graphics for land and display are shockingly higher then POTBS in my opinion. Both projects are getting a amazing about of progress done each week without fail ^_^ So expect pirates soon!

8. Solomon Warshot

Forum Mod

You mean POTHS right? POTBS is already a game. lol

9. jzfredskins

Forum Mod

Charles Warmonk
    You do know that Pirates of Legend (POL) has been retired and is no longer in development, right?

10. Charles Warmonk

Forum Mod

Yes POTHS >.< My bad.

11. Bart Gunshot

Forum Mod

It looks like (to me) with the screenshots that have been posted on their wikia that they are directly using POTCO's models, textures, and animations. I dont know a ton about Panda3D but it also looks like that they are just importing and viewing .bam files (if you ever messed around with POTCOS's phase files these are those types of files) for the screenshots.

Now I could be entirely wrong.

12. Charles Warmonk

Forum Mod

Pirates of Legend is canceled. - Sorry just learned about that today. >.>

13. TheGleamings

TheGleamings
    Wiki Staff

First concern: In terms of the updates, they will be far more frequent. We already have 6 mysterious islands which will be converted into other islands once a year, which was far different to the amount POTCO released.

Second concern: TTR offered us their servers for free, and if they have some form of malfunction, we'll have our app profits to go to and host with.

We also have daily updates every day with new content being released, which can be checked out on either the POTCO or POR wiki.[DOUBLEPOST=1387787047][/DOUBLEPOST]
    You are partially correct and partially wrong.

We do import models from the phase files but need to position and render them specifically. What's more is, we are putting lots of code into it now. For example, a couple of days ago our Savvy Saturday update had terrain, colliders, walking animation of Barbossa and character control which is easy in Unity, but you have to code all colliders, animations and walking when in Panda. However I do prefer Panda3D to unity due to the easy access to the files.[DOUBLEPOST=1387787362][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I understand fully and of course cannot say for sure that we will complete it.

However, with the release of daily updates, are followers/subscribers know that there's work being made and always new content. Also, I used to work as a professional game developer.[DOUBLEPOST=1387787641][/DOUBLEPOST]
    http://potbs.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

I think they have an actual website too. But they are remaking POTBS for fun.

Captain Ghosty likes this.
  14. Shamus The Brute

Is this what you have found, personally? I remember not too long ago when you were in the process of making a POTCO, emulator game - Davy.
    I am wondering, specifically how? I am not the savviest of all scallywags but what I do know is that "the problem" was a significant struggle even for Disney Interactive to cope with. If the project hasn't reached a contingency plan yet in regards to hacking, fine, but I would hope that one would strategically be looked at as the Panda3D engine is not the most reassuring gaming engine to be used as players like me have become familiar with the influx of POTCO hacking during much of 2013.

Also, with so many "codes" readily available on the net that were disclosed to infilitrate POTCO's own gaming experience, I am just concerned with any emulator which chooses to use the same gaming files/gaming engine.
    We all know that the infrastructure of POTCO itself only encouraged pirates to own multiple accounts (which did not 'help' the hacking situation at all as players' were never pressured wholeheartedly by Disney to have to take full ownership over their own actions and choices of misconduct).

*What reassurance can you give me that "Rewritten" will look seriously into this issue and not just blow it off (somewhat as POTHS has) to where the issue of in-game hacking will not pose the same level of threat to players' gaming experience as it had on POTCO?

15. jzfredskins

Forum Mod

ToonTown Rewritten has done something about this issue. From what I have gathered, they have made it much more "complicated" for players to break into the game. I think we are adopting those same techniques, however we are still a long ways away from that point. :)

16. Shamus The Brute

I hear what you are saying. But, I have previously commented upon the concerns that I (and others should) have pertaining to ToonTown (for more info., please review this post: https://piratesforums.co/threads/potco-will-never-die-campaign.8963/page-2#post-151846).

Anyway, its admirable that at least an effort is being made within this regard but with so many codes openly disclosed out there on the net, the last thing I would want to see are for projects like POTHS or POR to become "Edgemalley-ized!" :rolleyes:

17. jzfredskins

Forum Mod

Shamus The Brute
    One of our developers had this to say about your questions regarding number 4:

I agree with you and I have the same concerns that you do. I'm sure its something they are working on, its just that they don't want to give away all their secrets. Imagine that you had all your most valuable items and wealth in a safe. Do you really want to tell the whole world what type of safe you have and a general idea where its at, just to prove that your money is safe and secure?

Shamus The Brute likes this.
  18. Shamus The Brute

I have a nasty habit of explaining things here on the forums through youtube videos. In response to the analogy you had posted about a "safe," I have tried in the past to stress on the POTHS forums (before the reset occurred) suitable explanation as to why the issue of hacking cannot be ignored/minimized. I made an attempt to do so even though Ed had reassured me that the Unity gaming engine would not permit the same type of instability as POTCO's gaming engine would.

The point I would most like to make here for POR ('Pirates Online Rewritten') is that unless you devote as much effort into protecting the game from hackers as you do with the actual development of the game, there will always exist individual players and/or groups out there whom have nothing better to do than to probe at a game to discover apparent weaknesses. As it known on this forums, hackers enjoy such "challenge" and overcoming such a challenge is the reward for them. (Not to overly state the obvious but, POTCO was full of hackers prior to the game's closing on Sept. 19th).

I have learned from watching the movie, "The Italian Job," that where there exists a will there will always exist a way and in my own opinion, there exists no protective safe for any POTCO emulator to where the combination is uncrackable (if that is such a word). ;)

19. jzfredskins

Forum Mod

Indeed. I'm sure that as soon as they get most of the game developed they will put more of a focus on dealing with it.

20. Johnny Sea Slasher

Forum Mod

Some companies out there hot websites and servers for little to no fees because you allow ads on your site. Maybe having an ad section like POTCO did in 2007 would work out. Obviously ad-free gameplay would be ideal, but you guys aren't making money off of this, perhaps ads should be the way to go.

Kate Goldwalker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.