Piratey Trading

Edward Edgemenace

Honorable Pirate
In most existing quest segments of this game, to get something, you have to do something for the NPC "person." What that thing is, varies. Very few, simply want gold (bribes.) I'm honestly surprised none of them ask you to dance while saying "I AM A PRETTY PINK PONY."

What it is, that some other pirate wants, varies as much as who the pirates are. It really isn't Uncle Mickey's place, to be saying what is, or what isn't, a "fair" trade.

The trading system I'd like to see, is where I hand someone an item. What they are going to give me or do for me in return is MY BUSINESS. If I don't trust them, then I won't be doing any sort of trade with them.

Now, there are bullies online; kids will be taken advantage of; Disney will hear no end of complaints.

Worse still, Tugabassa will become a begging ground; kids incessantly shouting "CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A WORLD EATER BLADE" despite 10 people surrounding them, warning them that they are about to get ripped off.

Even worse than that, the number of "failed trades" will outnumber the successful "fair trades" because of people reneging, saying "Arrrgh, pirate!"

--------------

Currently, there is no way to transfer gold amongst players that Disney openly advocates. Why? Because if someone gets ripped off in poker, Disney can say - DUH, why do you think we don't allow this?

Perhaps a workable compromise to a trading system, would be to allow us to place items (weapons, clothing, tonics, ammo, etc.) on the poker table. Not nearly as good as simply handing someone something, but at least it would shield Disney from a broad majority of the complaints.

---------

Anyone have other ideas about trading, that you think might be workable?

i figured trading should be like
open each players weapons on each side of the screen with a boc in the middle to pull items into and a button for gold then just hit a button that says trade and then BOOM you traded weapons lol
EDIT (Nov 3, 2010 11:12 AM):
( my trading space ) {trading box} ( friends trading space )
I take a haunted cannon ram and place in the box and add 300 gold
friend adds revent cannon ram to the box and 300 gold
we both hit trade
we now each have the others 300 gold and reavent/ haunted ram

i like the way that chris has it set up that you see exactly what you are getting and sending but ed is right 99.9 percent of trades would be some crap where some kid or some adult screwed someone else out of something they earned which would be intolerable in my mind

A lot of the pirates that play are just to gullible. Kids are truly believers of what others tell them. "If you will trade me that El Patron sword for my deck-hands cutlass I will let you be an officer in my guild..." just one scenario of many possible ones While I personally would like to trade some items, I hope trading is never an option in the game. It is just to easy to take advantage of the very young, and trusting pirates. :eek:

Hmmm. Maybe 1 day a year, where they allow trading (so people can distribute items amongst their own pirates, but not really have time to coordinate with other people. Nor have time to start scamming, much.)

Item trading sounds really great but noobs, as you say, would run around asking for famed / legendary weapons

Edward Makes some good points. I was a moderater in a game that had open trading and gifting of game money/gold and items. Trading scams were among the top of the list of situations we moderaters had to deal with. The gifting all though it was nice to be able to gift items and game currency to friends brought its own problems. These problems are something I do NOT want to see coming to POTCO. Edward mentioned begging, In that other game we had a large segment of players who were basically too lazy to do the missions/quests or in other words too lazy to earn their own currency/gold. This group of players became full time beggars/ Panhandling in game was common. Most of the beggars were kids but there were also adult players involved with it. The beggars were an annoying nuisance in that game. Then came another bizzare twist on begging, Adoptions most of these involved young Basic access players attempting to get advanced Unlimited/VIP access players to adopt them as a means of begging them for expensive items and game currency. Sadly the Admins of that game refused to take serious action regarding the begging and adoption nonsense. and instead allowed these things to continue under the guise of role playing. Another issue that came up, was Account Phishing with the ability to transfer Gold/Currency and Game Items between player accounts scammers took advantage of players ignorant enough to give out their account login details in game. Scammers would login and clean out the accounts of other players. This was the main issues we moderaters found ourselves dealing with in game. I believe that trading could be added to Potco, but it must be done in such a way as to minimize scamming, and phishing. Begging should become a bannable offense if trading and or gifting is added to POTCO.

I agree with chris, but to insure that it is you making the trade and not some ticked off older/younger brother/sister who got on your account I think you should be able to have a separate password for trade for example it wud say r u sure you wish to make this trade, then you hit yes, then you type password, and finally you see trade had been made congratulations.
EDIT (Nov 3, 2010 7:38 PM):
Item trading sounds really great but noobs, as you say, would run around asking for famed / legendary weapons

Hmmm if only we had an ignore button:facepalm:

Now, there are bullies online; kids will be taken advantage of; Disney will hear no end of complaints.
This is nothing new, I remember back in the good old days, some of the guilds running around game trying to act like little street gangs and attempting to intimidate other players including trying to imtimidate players into giving them gold on the poker tables with threats that they would follow us around with their little rat packs and grief us. Most of those players are gone now permanently banned as they should have been. Bullies should be dealt with through the report system which does have room for improvment.

Currently, there is no way to transfer gold amongst players that Disney openly advocates. Why? Because if someone gets ripped off in poker, Disney can say - DUH, why do you think we don't allow this?
Partly because of the bullying factor. a foolish player can just as easily lose everything to the NPC's at the tables. A friend of mine gave 20K gold to a young player at the tables in order to help him get a better ship. A few hours later my friend returned to find this player had gambled away all the gold they were given and sold the ships gambling away that gold as well. You know what they say about a fool and their money. Money transfers on the tables should only be done with trusted friends.

Even worse than that, the number of "failed trades" will outnumber the successful "fair trades" because of people reneging, saying "Arrrgh, pirate! "
I disagree here speaking from my experience with that other game that allowed trading. The majority of trades were successful with both parties being happy with the results. The problem trades occurred when players attempted trading outside the safeguarded system. For example one player promising to later deliver something additional as a condition of the trade and never following through with it. If the trade is straightfoward with both parties being able to see the items offered along with their values and both parties having to reach agreement before the trade is completed and the items transferred. I see no problem with trading. I like the idea of adding an area such as a trading table where these transactions would be conducted.

I dont think the trading system would go well, some one always manages to find a glitch and then its spreads and spreads.I think its a good idea just dont think it would go well.One moment you have your BEAUTIFUL collection of Famed and Legendary weapons.....then some are gone

Wow great topic and lots of good posts to read through. Not sure where I stand on this. In theory it sounds like a great idea, but I can see where there may be lots of problems to arise from it. Maybe a start would be allowing people with multiple pirates to swap weapons/clothes from their other pirates.:)

That is a great idea Charlotte And one I've been thinking about for a while. I've suggested sort of a storage locker at our login screen where we can place and store items to be picked up by any of the pirates on our accounts. Also increasing the size of our inventory would be great. The storage locker would eliminate the need to sell off or discard duplicate items we pick up.

That is a great idea Charlotte And one I've been thinking about for a while. I've suggested sort of a storage locker at our login screen where we can place and store items to be picked up by any of the pirates on our accounts. Also increasing the size of our inventory would be great. The storage locker would eliminate the need to sell off or discard duplicate items we pick up.

I like that idea very much Red, I've always thought when I logged in it would be great if I could change clothes right there at the log in screen. lol ;)

Agreed Edward that would be an issue in the event that trading and the ability to transfer items or gold between accounts is introduced. There are several solutions and this is something that will keep the moderaters busy. Allowing a stranger to link accounts with you is as stupid as giving out your login info to a phisher. During my time as a moderater in another game one issue I had to deal with a lot were cases where a player had their entire account cleaned out by another player. In many of these cases the victim claimed that their account had been hacked. In every one of these cases that I investigated I found that the victim had given out their login info to another player in game. So the solution there is "Don't Link Accounts with anyone outside of your household" and Don't give out your login info to anyone in game.

Back