POLL: Opinions on Skull Chests

Do Skull Chest drop rates need to be re-examined?

• Yes

Votes: 134 93.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Recently, we have revisited the looting system in TLOPO. We're looking at further tweaking the loot system to see if we can better mimic the mechanics that Disney had in place with POTCO. Specifically, it seems Skull Chests are a huge area of concern (which I can personally confirm in my experience). Threads like this one also signify that there is definitely a problem with the way higher rarity items are distributed within Skull Chests.

Please post any and all feedback you have regarding this issue here. Developers will be reviewing this thread.

I believe they do, there seems to be an incredibly small chance of finding a famed weapon, and seems to be less than in POTCO. Along with this, it is rather hard to find a weapon in a skull chest in general. More often than not, I'll only get cards and gold from a skull chest, with an occasional rare doll, or a common weapon. The gold amount seems to be fine, generally in the 90-180 range.

Last edited:
I am honestly torn on this subject. Part of me likes how it is. Alot harder and makes famed and legendary weapons more rare overall. However i believe it is SLIGHTLY to rare.

Common things that seem to be causing frustration:
Skulls containing cards ( 1- 3 cards )
Skulls containing more than one ammo card ( ex: 2 things of steel ammo ) Makes me think it is hiding other loot..
Skull drops overall seem drastically lower than potco ever was.

As much as i would like to see skulls, famed, legendary, or common ( rare for female) brights, I believe it shouldn't be tweaked to much to be EXACTLY like POTCO.

However something overall to fix famed, legendary, and "Good" brights would be greatly useful / appreciated.

YES. I think it's absurd how I loot everyday for several hours and haven't found a single legendary while some people who don't loot nearly as much as me have like 3 Lost swords and 4 Silver freezes. I do think legendaries should be extremely hard to find - but I think the legendary finding rate needs to be more evenly distributed.

I kinda agree with @Roger_ Gunshot that famed stuff seems harder to get in TLOPO. But I also would say if you plan on adding trading, keep it that way. No idea if you plan to or not, but that's irrelevant.

I just want more types of chests. Skulls having nothing but commons, gold, and cards most of the time is fine, just give me those 2 more levels of loot container that are implied to exist and have them contain higher quality loot than skulls.

The skull rating is 4 when famed are in the chest, and 5 when legendary are in it.

Hey guys,

Recently, we have revisited the looting system in TLOPO. We're looking at further tweaking the loot system to see if we can better mimic the mechanics that Disney had in place with POTCO. Specifically, it seems Skull Chests are a huge area of concern (which I can personally confirm in my experience). Threads like this one also signify that there is definitely a problem with the way higher rarity items are distributed within Skull Chests.

Please post any and all feedback you have regarding this issue here. Developers will be reviewing this thread.

I am honestly torn on this subject. Part of me likes how it is. Alot harder and makes famed and legendary weapons more rare overall. However i believe it is SLIGHTLY to rare.

Common things that seem to be causing frustration:
Skulls containing cards ( 1- 3 cards )
Skulls containing more than one ammo card ( ex: 2 things of steel ammo ) Makes me think it is hiding other loot..
Skull drops overall seem drastically lower than potco ever was.

As much as i would like to see skulls, famed, legendary, or common ( rare for female) brights, I believe it shouldn't be tweaked to much to be EXACTLY like POTCO.

However something overall to fix famed, legendary, and "Good" brights would be greatly useful / appreciated.
Ok... so time to input my opinion. I definitely think that this should be revisited. I agree with everyone else, that I almost always get cards and sometimes some of the same ammo and then crude and common weapons.

There IS something wrong with the gold rates. I keep getting 5 gold in skull chests, its very strange.

I cant really give my opinion on whether loot is better or worse than it was in POTCO bc I don't really remember. I do know that I have 10 fames in TLOPO and had 0 fames from looting in POTCO (level 44 in POTCO) (level 45 in TLOPO) But that may just be because I didn't loot enough.

I may have just gotten to use to the TLOPO system to know if good loot is harder to get than it was in POTCO.

I do know that legendaries seem impossible to loot.

I feel like there is certainly a problem with skulls I got like 25 one time over about 2 hours and got no fames then another day I got a famed from the first skull I got (second loot container I got).

Loot is random so that's fine, BUT I do think if you get THAT many skulls there should definitely be a much higher chance of you getting a famed or legendary. For instance maybe the more skulls you get the better the chance you have of fames and legendaries?

There is a huge problem with too many cards and ammo ( not enough weapons and I don't know if I've ever gotten clothes in a skull)

in short,

1. I get to many of the same rares, items in loot
2. Not enough gold
3. Not enough weapons
4. Too many cards, ammo, and gold, sometimes multiple of the same thing (2 places with ammo)
5. Maybe a slightly higher chance of getting legendaries and fames
6. Possibly a system that means the more skulls you get the higher chance you have of getting something good, like if you get 25 skulls you should expect to get a famed soon.
7. IF TRADING IS ADDED KEEP LOOT RARE!

The things I'd like to mention are mostly covered aboved. A lot of cards inside skull chests. (sometimes 75% of the container)

I'd like to pass along a humble request of mine. It has come to my attention that some ship matterials are extremely hard to earn (Iron). I've been on material runs with like ~23 rare ship material chests onboard and none of them included Iron. Or the fact that you're getting small amounts of each ship material every single run. I cannot say for sure but I think you used to get a lot more materials in POTCO.

Keep up the good work - we really do appreciate it

The skull rating is 4 when famed are in the chest, and 5 when legendary are in it.

Not true as you can see:
screenshot_2017-08-06_06-58-16.jpg

I am pretty bias with changing things from what it was in POTCO, but I do agree with both @Jack Cannonskull and @Destroyer Maniac Revenge said. However, I don't see a problem with the skulls. I've gotten 3-4 famed in like 2 days along with a legendary today. Maybe they shouldn't have cards in them and ammo, just because that really gets annoying. Also, the amount of repeats you get from skulls is a bit ridiculous. Have gotten Two of the same dolls and throwing knives. I've seen people already have 5 of the same famed. The repeat in general is just annoying, I've gotten the same bright in the same style of clothing over and over again. And never get the chance to get the other varieties of brights. Maybe a SLIGHT increase in the famed and legendary drop-rate, but I mean just a little bit. Hopefully, it won't be a drastic increase, but just enough to keep legendary cursed blades valuable or yet better terms rare.

Last edited:
I've looted for hours and come across countless skull chests, and I can say in all honesty that all of them were trash. Not a legendary or famed to be found.
In addition to that, every single bright that I've looted has come from a pouch when I think it should drop more from something like a chest.

Hey guys,

I don't think the drop rate needs to be changed. - The drop rate is LESS than POTCO. However, if it becomes the same as POTCO then players will get famed and legendary TOO easily and thus reach the 'end game' too quickly imo.

So my answer is:
Yes, if you want it to be the same as POTCO and get weapons easily.
No, if you want the game to last longer for the community and keep it 'active' longer.

Not true as you can see:
View attachment 89283

Interesting. Perhaps that's a bug? I'm pretty sure in POTCO a famed item would raise it to 4/5.

I don't think the drop rate needs to be changed. - The drop rate is LESS than POTCO. However, if it becomes the same as POTCO then players will get famed and legendary TOO easily and thus reach the 'end game' too quickly imo.

So my answer is:
No, if you want the game to last longer for the community and keep it 'active' longer.

The game shouldn't rely on people trying to specifically get certain items just to keep it alive though. Especially when the game has so few items to start with.

The things I'd like to mention are mostly covered aboved. A lot of cards inside skull chests. (sometimes 75% of the container)

I'd like to pass along a humble request of mine. It has come to my attention that some ship matterials are extremely hard to earn (Iron). I've been on material runs with like ~23 rare ship material chests onboard and none of them included Iron. Or the fact that you're getting small amounts of each ship material every single run. I cannot say for sure but I think you used to get a lot more materials in POTCO.

Keep up the good work - we really do appreciate it

Rare ship material crates will never drop iron, only ordinary material crates.

But you are still right. Ship materials are horribly difficult to get in decent amounts.

I definitely think it is more to do with an increased weight of weapon drops required, rather than an increased drop of rare+ weapons.

Back in POTCO, a drop of a skull chest was a celebration because your crew all knew that something good was going to come from it. At Darkhart, I remember feeling real hard done by if a rare+ didn't come from a skull.

Now in TLOPO, a skull chest doesnt have the same feeling, because I would say about 90% of mine have commons, gold or cards as the majority of the items.

I find that regular loot chests usually gift me higher #'s of weapons.

screenshot_2017-08-07_12-57-19.jpg

This is pretty representative, there is more or less of the same which I must say irks the pirate within. :skullpeak:
I think the future of this game is in our hands. I believe that most do not want to be bored, caught in mindless grinding or reach a game end where there is nothing to do.
Listen to the players feedback and keep players by adding new content and this game will be around for a while.
Just my 50 cents.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grinding_(gaming)

Last edited:
I think the skull chest drop rate is fine (as in how often you get them) but what they hold is what I think should be looked at.
Like many others have stated 3 cards, some gold and crude cutlass does not seem right for a rare loot drop.
I'm not saying there should always be famed but I would expect there to be a rare weapon or clothing in them.
When a skull dropped in POTCO it was exciting as you knew something good is going to be in there but now I feel indifferent when one drops as it's usually disappointing as loot chests and even loot pouches have given better loot.
Well there is my personal input :)

So my answer is:
It's not a big enough difference to affect how long people play.

Going along with what Jack said above...
If repetitive gameplay to reach 'end game' is what people crave, why not just create a new pirate and start from the beginning each time they master a pirate and obtain all the items they require? I don't see how low loot rates will help the community last longer when it seems the majority would actually prefer higher loot rates. TLOPO has clearly shown they plan to add onto the game-ie, Isla Escondida, in the future thereby creating a new 'end game'.

The Loot Skull Chest is horribly broken, and loot in general is also amiss.
Perhaps the frequency of Loot Skull drops needs to be revised, so that when they drop, they always have something good.
Currently, they do drop infrequently, but only have something good in them 1% of the time, or less.
Several factors might be considered for loot in general as well, which is invariably terrible overall.
I literally dump or don't even bother with 95% of the loot drops, as I don't need 3000+ cards, excessive ammo and Cabin Boy cutlass and the like.
I'm pretty sure everyone has already received a thousand Cabin Boy, Worn and other useless weapons every week.
They are not even worth selling, and just waste time opening the loot and then leaving it or trashing it out.
Loot might be better if it is based on a player's skill level and inventory.
If I am level 50 and already have 36 snaplock pistols in inventory, 150 aces of spades and max gold, a loot chest containing 5 in gold, a straw doll and a 3 of clubs isn't worth even dropping or looking at.
Instead of having loot drop like every other or third kill, make them more infrequent, with better loot depending on a pirate's skill level.
No one really uses the light cutlass, so get rid of it. (Now of course, the usual folk will invariably swear that's the only weapon they use, so chime in as needed folks...)
Perhaps players might even fill out a preference page where they opt not to receive certain levels of loot, just to make the loot drops better when they do occur.
I don't mind infrequent drops, as long as they are rewarding.
Savor It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back