POLL: Opinions on Skull Chests

Do Skull Chest drop rates need to be re-examined?

• Yes

Votes: 134 93.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Perhaps that's a bug? I'm pretty sure in POTCO a famed item would raise it to 4/5.
Screenshot_395.png
Screenshot_393.png

^A couple of screens from the POTCO looting thread. If you look through that thread, you see that rating was based on the kind of loot container rather than the quality of the loot in it. Thus, there was probably supposed to be 2 more kinds of loot container that were of higher tier than Loot Skulls.

Screenshot_395.png
Screenshot_393.png

^A couple of screens from the POTCO looting thread. If you look through that thread, you see that rating was based on the kind of loot container rather than the quality of the loot in it. Thus, there was probably supposed to be 2 more kinds of loot container that were of higher tier than Loot Skulls.

If those were actually from POTCO days, I guess I'm just plain wrong then! Memory is a fickle thing.

The Loot Skull Chest is horribly broken, and loot in general is also amiss.
Perhaps the frequency of Loot Skull drops needs to be revised, so that when they drop, they always have something good.
Currently, they do drop infrequently, but only have something good in them 1% of the time, or less.
Several factors might be considered for loot in general as well, which is invariably terrible overall.
I literally dump or don't even bother with 95% of the loot drops, as I don't need 3000+ cards, excessive ammo and Cabin Boy cutlass and the like.
I'm pretty sure everyone has already received a thousand Cabin Boy, Worn and other useless weapons every week.
They are not even worth selling, and just waste time opening the loot and then leaving it or trashing it out.
Loot might be better if it is based on a player's skill level and inventory.
If I am level 50 and already have 36 snaplock pistols in inventory, 150 aces of spades and max gold, a loot chest containing 5 in gold, a straw doll and a 3 of clubs isn't worth even dropping or looking at.
Instead of having loot drop like every other or third kill, make them more infrequent, with better loot depending on a pirate's skill level.
No one really uses the light cutlass, so get rid of it. (Now of course, the usual folk will invariably swear that's the only weapon they use, so chime in as needed folks...)
Perhaps players might even fill out a preference page where they opt not to receive certain levels of loot, just to make the loot drops better when they do occur.
I don't mind infrequent drops, as long as they are rewarding.
Savor It!
What level is your pirate?

What level is your pirate?
Well, that depends on the pirate, but that's irrelevant, as loot is junk at any level, generally speaking.
But the point is, at any pirate level, the loot could be commensurate and relevant to that level. I don't know of many level 30 pirates let's say, that are using the worn cutlass, the light saber or the snaplock pistol. Those items are not worth anything in gold, take up valuable real estate space in inventory, and really serve no useful purpose beyond level 11 or so. They end up going to the trash bin or littering the floor, as seen below.
screenshot_2017-07-23_00-28-10.jpg

Not a single item in any of those loot containers was worth adding to inventory, be it to use or sell.
There's a Loot Skull, 3 loot chests and 5 loot pouches (one is hidden inside the middle chest)! My level there is as shown; 28.
That's a problem.

For anyone curious, the location is in the Catacombs, specifically the room where all the EITC Mercenaries hang out with the Assassin dude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that depends on the pirate.
But the point is, at any pirate level, the loot could be commensurate and relevant to that level. I don't know of many level 30 pirates let's say, that are using the worn cutlass, the light saber or the snaplock pistol. Those items are not worth anything in gold, take up valuable real estate space in inventory, and really serve no useful purpose beyond level 11 or so. They end up going to the trash bin or littering the floor, as seen below.
View attachment 89361
Not a single item in any of those loot containers was worth adding to inventory, be it to use or sell.
There's a Loot Skull, 3 loot chests and 5 loot pouches (one is hidden inside the chest)! My level there is as shown; 28.
That's a problem.

For anyone curious, the location is in the Catacombs, specifically the room where all the EITC Mercenaries hang out with the Assassin dude.
You're only level 28 - Players in the original game sometimes don't get a famed till they are level 40..... Pirates imo are to demanding and have to high of expectation for loot. The harder the loot is to get, the longer the game will last as a looting community.

... and if your one of the pirates who say "But the game is not just about looting!" I'd like you to strongly consider what you do a majority of your time in game. >.>

Going along with what Jack said above...
If repetitive gameplay to reach 'end game' is what people crave, why not just create a new pirate and start from the beginning each time they master a pirate and obtain all the items they require? I don't see how low loot rates will help the community last longer when it seems the majority would actually prefer higher loot rates. TLOPO has clearly shown they plan to add onto the game-ie, Isla Escondida, in the future thereby creating a new 'end game'.
Don't get me wrong I am against things like trading (unless it is controlled like famed for famed rare for rare etc.) and I do think looting will make people play the game "slightly longer" (not that much I mean if they really cared about the game they would play regardless of loot and I think most of the community does care about the game a lot). But I think the rate of loot drops currently is not different enough from POTCO that it will "change how long people play" infact for me its better :D

You're only level 28 - Players in the original game sometimes don't get a famed till they are level 40..... Pirates imo are to demanding and have to high of expectation for loot. The harder the loot is to get, the longer the game will last as a looting community.

... and if your one of the pirates who say "But the game is not just about looting!" I'd like you to strongly consider what you do a majority of your time in game. >.>
While I do agree with you on the fact that looting is the primary thing most pirates do. (atleast for me + role play.) again I just don't think the "harder the loot is to get necessarily will affect how long someone is in game." Please consider this example.

1. Loot is EXTREMELY easy to get you can get a famed about every 20 minutes! People will loot for a while and then get bored right? I mean of course because they have so many fames that they are worthless!

2. Loot is EXTREMELY hard to get. Only the VERY best of the game can get fames. They brag constantly about them and they are considered an incredible looter because they have a famed. Only those who loot for hours and days have gotten a fame or two and they are very, very rare. Only about 5 people have ever gotten a legendary and they are ranked best as looters. Now think about this. Looting is so hard now that people don't want to do it anymore! Its boring, you don't get enough interesting weapons to make you want to continue and you just don't have the time for it!

3. Loot is the same rate as it was in POTCO/TLOPO for me loot is actual better in TLOPO than it was in POTCO but that doesn't matter, lets just pretend that loot is the same between POTCO and TLOPO. This is just about right. Now see what I did there? If loot was TOO easy to get than yes players would be bored with the looting aspect of the game, BUT if looting is too hard than players will ALSO be bored with the game and stop trying to get something that seems impossible to get.

Now my point is that just because loot is "hard to get" doesn't necessarily mean it will keep players in the game longer. Yes if loot is too easy than players will be bored with that and some will quit due to the easiness. Now others will quit if looting is too hard because they don't have the time for it and its just boring.

So if you make looting to easy than players will be angry and some will be pleased. If you make looting to hard than some players will be pleased and others will be angry. So what is there to do? Are we just stuck where one party will be angry? What's the solution?

Looting MUST be balanced! NOT to easy NOT to hard.

If looting is balanced than "some" players may think I wish loot was a bit easier or I wish loot was a bit harder but at least we made a compromise. Now looting isn't perfect for some people and for some it never will be BUT BUT! At least we can all compromise.

Thank you for reading this post. It took quite a while to write and I know it was long! I hope that everyone gained some helpful knowledge from this or at the least considered my point.

Thanks,

Jack

While I do agree with you on the fact that looting is the primary thing most pirates do. (atleast for me + role play.) again I just don't think the "harder the loot is to get necessarily will affect how long someone is in game." Please consider this example.

1. Loot is EXTREMELY easy to get you can get a famed about every 20 minutes! People will loot for a while and then get bored right? I mean of course because they have so many fames that they are worthless!

2. Loot is EXTREMELY hard to get. Only the VERY best of the game can get fames. They brag constantly about them and they are considered an incredible looter because they have a famed. Only those who loot for hours and days have gotten a fame or two and they are very, very rare. Only about 5 people have ever gotten a legendary and they are ranked best as looters. Now think about this. Looting is so hard now that people don't want to do it anymore! Its boring, you don't get enough interesting weapons to make you want to continue and you just don't have the time for it!

3. Loot is the same rate as it was in POTCO/TLOPO for me loot is actual better in TLOPO than it was in POTCO but that doesn't matter, lets just pretend that loot is the same between POTCO and TLOPO. This is just about right. Now see what I did there? If loot was TOO easy to get than yes players would be bored with the looting aspect of the game, BUT if looting is too hard than players will ALSO be bored with the game and stop trying to get something that seems impossible to get.

Now my point is that just because loot is "hard to get" doesn't necessarily mean it will keep players in the game longer. Yes if loot is too easy than players will be bored with that and some will quit due to the easiness. Now others will quit if looting is too hard because they don't have the time for it and its just boring.

So if you make looting to easy than players will be angry and some will be pleased. If you make looting to hard than some players will be pleased and others will be angry. So what is there to do? Are we just stuck where one party will be angry? What's the solution?

Looting MUST be balanced! NOT to easy NOT to hard.

If looting is balanced than "some" players may think I wish loot was a bit easier or I wish loot was a bit harder but at least we made a compromise. Now looting isn't perfect for some people and for some it never will be BUT BUT! At least we can all compromise.

Thank you for reading this post. It took quite a while to write and I know it was long! I hope that everyone gained some helpful knowledge from this or at the least considered my point.

Thanks,

Jack
That's why I think looting as it stands now.... is balanced. If anything at all, make it harder.

I'm sorry, but you might have confused me with someone else perhaps? I'm sure I did not ask for famed or wonder where they were or why I wasn't getting any.
I am talking about Loot Skull Chests, and how the loot is garbage in general. Perhaps you missed the premise and point of this thread as well as what I posted?
And as I also stated, regardless of pirate level, that one now being level 46, the loot is still junk.
Don't think you can diminish and minimize the simple reality of the loot being junk by suggesting that pirate level is a factor.
You miss the point completely, either willfully or blindly.
The loot is terrible and needs an overhaul. Loot Skulls even more so.
And while we're at it, this is TLOPO, not POTCO, so do catch up and follow please.

Now, as I recall, you're the guy who spends all day fishing for famed and legendaries, correct? That's something that rarely if ever happened in POTCO and is ridiculously easy in TLOPO. Perhaps you might have had a hand in that?
I'm sure that explains why you like it so much as it currently stands.
And finally, if you're one of the folk who has a say in whether or not the loot is updated, then I think the thread is pointless, as we all know where you stand on the issue.
mhmm....

Last edited by a moderator:

I certainly don't spend most of my time looting. I spend all my time sailing.

In any case, if the devs want to increase the longevity of the game, let me have a few more ships to upgrade! Totally not a shameless plug.

Making loot harder (or just too hard to start with and leaving it that way) will just annoy people. Games need more content for longevity. You want the looters to stick around more? Add more items.

I'm sorry, but you might have confused me with someone else perhaps? I'm sure I did not ask for famed or wonder where they were or why I wasn't getting any.
I am talking about Loot Skull Chests, and how the loot is garbage in general. Perhaps you missed the premise and point of this thread as well as what I posted?
And as I also stated, regardless of pirate level, that one now being level 46, the loot is still junk.
Don't think you can diminish and minimize the simple reality of the loot being junk by suggesting that pirate level is a factor.
You miss the point completely, either willfully or blindly.
The loot is terrible and needs an overhaul. Loot Skulls even more so.
And while we're at it, this is TLOPO, not POTCO, so do catch up and follow please.

Now, as I recall, you're the guy who spends all day fishing for famed and legendaries, correct? That's something that rarely if ever happened in POTCO and is ridiculously easy in TLOPO. Perhaps you might have had a hand in that?
I'm sure that explains why you like it so much as it currently stands.
And finally, if you're one of the folk who has a say in whether or not the loot is updated, then I think the thread is pointless, as we all know where you stand on the issue.
mhmm....
First of all, the only great things I got from fishing are Admiral's Cutlass, Lost Sword, And Silver Freeze. (Lost Sword I got from sailing first, and Silver Freeze was easily found from Smasho when he was working correctly)

If you saw the most recent leader broads TLOPO posted as well, I was ranked 2 on the most enemies killed. (First being JDP who farmed Kingshead while I was at Tormenta/Idol)

Not only this, but I've studying loot drops for years on POTCO and since TLOPO came out. While I do admit finding famed/legendary is harder. I'd like to see the game keep it this way, as it makes every find I hear people get more valuable and special to them. When pirates are genuinely excited to find famed instead of 'expected result' the rewards become more meaningful to the player. If anything were to change in the TLOPO looting code, I would prefer they make looting HARDER! As the game itself is easy enough as it is being 10+.... when 95% of the community is over 18 now.

I certainly don't spend most of my time looting. I spend all my time sailing.

In any case, if the devs want to increase the longevity of the game, let me have a few more ships to upgrade! Totally not a shameless plug.

Making loot harder (or just too hard to start with and leaving it that way) will just annoy people. Games need more content for longevity. You want the looters to stick around more? Add more items.
To increase the amount of people who eat at a restaurant. Would you just make more food? Or would you make the food you have better quality that they will remember and want to come back for?

First of all, the only great things I got from fishing are Admiral's Cutlass, Lost Sword, And Silver Freeze. (Lost Sword I got from sailing first, and Silver Freeze was easily found from Smasho when he was working correctly)

If you saw the most recent leader broads TLOPO posted as well, I was ranked 2 on the most enemies killed. (First being JDP who farmed Kingshead while I was at Tormenta/Idol)

Not only this, but I've studying loot drops for years on POTCO and since TLOPO came out. While I do admit finding famed/legendary is harder. I'd like to see the game keep it this way, as it makes every find I hear people get more valuable and special to them. When pirates are genuinely excited to find famed instead of 'expected result' the rewards become more meaningful to the player. If anything were to change in the TLOPO looting code, I would prefer they make looting HARDER! As the game itself is easy enough as it is being 10+.... when 95% of the community is over 18 now.
I'm so tired of people saying the community is 18 years + We are mature.

People say things like we don't need a black list
Or as you said make the game harder were mostly 18 +

2 things.

For the black list situation It doesn't matter what age you are. Some people including myself no matter they're age are against bad words/and or cursing.

For the looting situation and the blacklist situation.

You do not know how old the community is. You can guess but you do not know for a TON of reasons.

1. Around 80% of the community or more do not reveal their age.
2. If your going to claim that people are mostly 18 + By looking at people who revealed their age on the forums I have some news. People can lie. For all you know someone could post their 26 but actual be 12. We don't know. I'm not saying that the community constantly lies but you don't know.
3. Your not even supposed to give your age!

Quoted from the Terms of Service (check yourself if you don't believe me)
Privacy matters
In The Legend of Pirates Online, nobody needs to know anything about you, aside from the fact that you're a pirate. Do not share any personal information about yourself - especially phone numbers, home addresses, and your account username or password. If somebody asks about this information, just nicely say "Sorry, I can't" and report this player for requesting personal information.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't make the game harder or whatever. I'm saying STOP using age for your arguments people. STOP.

To increase the amount of people who eat at a restaurant. Would you just make more food? Or would you make the food you have better quality that they will remember and want to come back for?
Your analogy would be more akin to deciding whether to add new items or to buff all the existing items.

As @Peter Goldbeard pointed out, this analogies equivalent of harder loot means more wait time for the same food.

Also @Jack Cannonskull raises good points. I would like to add the point that I've known a good number of people to say their age in-game, including multiple of ages 12-16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back