POTCO: Game Remembrance (FULL island tours and content)

:piratemickey:You've worked long and hard on this project - John - and although I am in the process of watching this tribute video of yours, I do appreciate the time and energy you have made in order to "allow" us pirates a second chance to relive the experience of POTCO, which truly...was a unique experience for us all.

Thank You.

Oh my gosh John you made me cry :( I really miss this game right now! Man I can't believe October 31st is in a couple of weeks :(Thank you John so much for this video :'(

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started watching this video, and in the first 9 minutes, it suddenly hit me: I have been in denial all along up to this point. I refused to believe that the game that I loved so much, was no longer there. I had been trying to stay detached to this game in the last few days of the life of Potco, not to feel hurt too much. But watching just the Padres Del Fuego part (and it wasn't even finished yet), I already realized how I missed this game. My tears were stuck in my throat; how could Disney throw away something this good, this elaborate, as if years of hard work of the developer team meant nothing to them? I know I am being sentimental, but that is because I invested so much of myself in that game. That is the game that I could relate to, to a very personal level. I had many experiences that touched me personally while playing that game. How I could impersonate myself as a pirate, how I made friends and kept in touch with friends that I never saw in person.

Of course, I've always known that in business, the past is less important than the future. We could be as successful as it could get, but if it was the 'past', then it is no longer the 'present'. Therefore, it is better to concentrate about the 'future' that we could control now - in the 'present' - to guarantee the better 'future'. I am talking about money. In a sarcastic way. Disney would rather throw away everything they had in the past, even though it cost them that much money to develop, for the sake of the future, to make more money - which Potco in their book would not be able to guarantee them the money.

Seeing that video though, we could see how much potential Potco the game had. Only from the standpoint of the materials that we could see there. And the story line. Not talking about the strong and passionate community at all or the social aspect of this game. Basically endless possibility, all pirate-related, with movies or without movies to back it up. But who am I talking to ... I am preaching to the choir here; as a lot of us feel the same or similar way I do. That was not the way Disney saw it. They were immune to the potential of it. They have dropped the verdict: a death penalty. No good. Scratched everything. Put it away in the dungeon (... hopefully not, but in a digital storage somewhere ... so that in the future, somebody or some group of developer or management would find a treasure, after they dig for some old stuff in the hope of finding something decently good to revisit - still a slim hope here).

I don't know if I could see all of them now, John ... Maybe a little bit at a time, I will. But thank you for putting these all together for us. These are invaluable. We didn't have anything but bits and pieces of memories and pictures and videos here and there, but not a complete set of everything. Your video wrapped everything up. I could always come back and watch in the future to remind myself, why and how this game meant so much back then. Whenever I play other games in the future, my mind would involuntarily compare them with Potco, no doubt about that.

Of course, I've always known that in business, the past is less important than the future. We could be as successful as it could get, but if it was the 'past', then it is no longer the 'present'. Therefore, it is better to concentrate about the 'future' that we could control now - in the 'present' - to guarantee the better 'future'. I am talking about money.
You are spot-on with the above statements, Jade. :)

*Experience has taught me that in consideration to the dealings of a medium-to-large-size corporation, what matters the most is not what has been developed/achieved in the past but rather those opportunities which may provide a significant return on investment within the unforeseeable future. Basically, it's about innovation and how a company can best "one-up" the competition. In short (as Jade had mentioned), it's about acquiring more money.

This is amazing! I can see you have put a lot of time and effort into this, thank you so much! The game will forever live on, even if it is shut down. :)

Since you posted a remembrance video I'll post my final Potco screenshot along with this video.
1.JPG

Back