POTCO - Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bart Gunshot

Site Founder
THIS IS OUTDATED INFORMATION. PLEASE REFER TO THIS POST FOR MORE INFO.
About two years ago I tried my hand at remaking the POTCO islands in Minecraft, I didn't get very far. It was simply too much work to do by hand and I couldn't get the islands looking quite right so I quit the project. Last week I found out a way to convert the POTCO models into a Minecraft format and I have begun work again trying to make my idea a reality.

Here is my plan. If all goes to plan I should be ahead of schedule, however so far it has not so I have given myself some time so I can fix the problems that may occur. Keep in mind every time is estimated and I may be ahead or behind it.

1. Convert all islands to a Minecraft format. (EST. COMPLETION July 1st)
    • This includes ~
      • Converting and positioning islands correctly (Mirroring if needed, rotating, etc.)
      • All islands will not yet be in a position correct to the POTCO ocean.
  2. Fix all minor/major problems with the islands (EST. COMPLETION July 17th)
    • The process isn't 100% correct, this means ~
      • Adding/destroying blocks to be more accurate to the real model.
      • Upscaling/downscaling if needed.
      • Adding a base so the islands are not floating in the water.
  3. Begin texturing islands. (EST. COMPLETION August 1st)
    • This means ~
      • Replacing stone with the correct blocks to make the islands look like the POTCO counterpart.
  4. Begin adding buildings. (EST. COMPLETION ???)
  5. Release map to public. (EST. COMPLETION ???)
At the moment I am not accepting helpers, sorry!

Here is what I have done so far, at the moment I am not giving out the steps I accomplish the POTCO conversions as I do not want people potentially stealing my idea. The structures are stone because the program cannot pick blocks based on a texture. Padres and Cuba would be here also but I'm working on getting them to be the right scale.

Isla Cangrejos
2014-06-23_20.23.31.png screenshot-Mon-Jun-23-20-29-55-2014-8495.jpg

Cutthroat Isle
2014-06-23_20.25.07.png screenshot-Mon-Jun-23-20-38-01-2014-1533.jpg

Please leave feedback on anything, constructive criticism is welcome! PLEASE give feedback on if you think the Minecraft islands are the right scale or not because I have to do that manually!

Last edited:
@Bart Gunshot
Looks good! Cant wait to see this finished!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you convert the POTCO models to MC format?
The only way I could think of doing this would be finding the POTCO height maps, or creating a height map from the models and importing it to something like world painter.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bart Gunshot
Looks good! Cant wait to see this finished!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you convert the POTCO models to MC format?
The only way I could think of doing this would be finding the POTCO height maps, or creating a height map from the models and importing it to something like world painter.
I converted the POTCO models to .obj format and then ran them through blender to get rid of collision masks, then saved them as .obj again. I then used Binvox which requires an average amount of knowledge of Command Prompt (most of which I learned through converting the POTCO models to .obj) because it has no UI. You can find tutorials and guides all over, of how to run it. I used this tutorial. Basically the program takes an .obj file (or another supported file type) and converts it to a .schematic file which you can import into a Minecraft world through McEdit or another program like it.

Update! 6/24/14

Managed to get a fair amount of things done today. Be on the lookout for something exciting soon! Anyways back to the update, today I have imported in 3 more islands and have messed around with importing in ships.

Devil's Anvil
2014-06-24_14.15.15.pngscreenshot-Tue-Jun-24-19-23-29-2014-4528.jpg

Kingshead
2014-06-24_14.09.04.pngscreenshot-Tue-Jun-24-19-25-18-2014-2040.jpg

Padres Del Fuego
2014-06-24_12.38.50.pngscreenshot-Tue-Jun-24-19-21-30-2014-3882.jpg

The Black Pearl
2014-06-24_19.31.10.png screenshot-Tue-Jun-24-19-32-00-2014-1842.jpg

I did however encounter a problem with Padres, when converted there were tons big chunks of floating blocks in rectangular shapes. I got rid of most of them but there is still alot to do, also I noticed, my Padres model doesn't have a back, so I'll either need to find the right model and reconvert it or terraform it myself. Also for the Black Pearl, I'll have to find the right dimensions for the Minecraft ship to look right. However it converted fairly well.
screenshot-Tue-Jun-24-19-21-59-2014-5635.jpg

Update! 6/25/14
Today I took a bit of a break but I did manage to convert 13 islands to .obj format. (Or the rest of the islands in the Phase_5 folder.) Tomorrow I will begin converting these to .schematics and pasting them into Minecraft, this is the most time consuming part as I usually have to convert an island 2 or 3 times to get it looking right, and the scale correct. (Trying different commands to get it to work correctly.)
phase5toobj.JPG
And my checklist!
Checklist.JPG

Also does anyone have or know a good Youtube/Soundcloud playlist of music I can listen to? I played my through my entire playlist already. And listened to a few podcasts. :eek:

This looks like a cool idea and actually seems feasible (unlike some other project), but I still have a concern: What do you plan on doing as far as moving ships go?
Boat.png

Haha, but in all seriousness, for now I'm focusing on recreating the islands. Its gonna take a ton of work with just that already. Afterwards, I have thought about actually simulating the gameplay as much as possible. Of course large moving objects in Minecraft aren't really feasible. I could certainly do it but not without a ton of lag and rendering issues. So that means I would need to drastically change the way sailing works from POTCO. For the ships I would most likely have some kind of system of teleporting the player to different ships that look exactly the same. You wouldn't be able to actually pick the direction the ship goes. There would be a random chance of a ship attacking you. Again I don't actually know if I'm going to simulate gameplay with this map. It may just be a map where you can go around and look at the islands, I am not sure yet.

EDIT:
I was doing some research and I may have a version of the map that will work with this mod. Please give feedback on whether this mod should be included or not.

Update! 6/26/14
Today I have 5 new islands to show in Minecraft. They converted very well now just to figure out if the scale is correct, so please say if an island looks like it needs to be upscaled or downscaled! I would like to thank @JohnnyDaPirate for covering this project on his channel even through my ridiculous requests. :rolleyes: Also @Jack Wildwrecker thanks for the Spotify recommendation, now just to find a good electronic music station that doesn't have skrillex playing every other song. :mad:

Anyways back to the update...

Cuba
2014-06-26_20.49.55.png screenshot-Thu-Jun-26-21-39-53-2014-1995.jpg

Black Pearl Island

It seems I forgot to mirror the Minecraft version, I wish I knew why it converted mirrored. Will fix in next update!
2014-06-26_20.48.09.png screenshot-Thu-Jun-26-21-35-16-2014-4199.jpg

Ille D'Etable De Porc
2014-06-26_20.51.13.png screenshot-Thu-Jun-26-21-38-48-2014-806.jpg

Isla Perdida

@Shamus The Brute
2014-06-26_20.57.19.png screenshot-Thu-Jun-26-21-37-32-2014-2554.jpg

Outcast Isle
2014-06-26_21.01.02.png screenshot-Thu-Jun-26-21-32-54-2014-5473.jpg

Excited to see this. I would be willing to lend a hand later on when you may need help in certain things like placing buildings perhaps? I have been bored with minecraft lately and have had nothing to do.

Feeling better today! :D I managed to get another 5 islands into Minecraft today, or 7 depending on how you classify islands. Didn't fix the mirroring issue on Black Pearl Island yet, large islands take much more time than smaller ones. So today's update is all smaller "Wild Islands." Tomorrow I should finish the 3 remaining islands: Tortuga, Port Royal, and Raven's Cove and they are all large "Main Islands" so that should be cool to finish. After that I will move onto step 2! I doubt there will be many updates then because there will not be much to show. However I will keep you updated as much as I can, and @JohnnyDaPirate will keep you updated with full tours of the islands during that time.

Now to the update!

Rambleshack
The tutorial Island.
2014-06-28_20.13.29.png screenshot-Sat-Jun-28-20-37-14-2014-2478.jpg

Isla Tormenta
2014-06-28_20.14.53.png screenshot-Sat-Jun-28-20-38-29-2014-1850.jpg

Privateering Area Rocks

The rocks in between the two privateering Islands, all separate files but they can be grouped together. 1 or 3 islands?
2014-06-28_20.25.21.png screenshot-Sat-Jun-28-20-39-44-2014-714.jpg

Rumrunners Isle
2014-06-28_20.29.03.png screenshot-Sat-Jun-28-20-41-14-2014-1444.jpg

Isla De La Avaricia
2014-06-28_20.30.29.png screenshot-Sat-Jun-28-20-42-23-2014-1430.jpg

Update! 6/29/14

Today's update took a while. And I didn't get all I wanted done either. However I'm extremely exhausted and frustrated so I'm going to fix what I haven't done and or messed up tomorrow. Today I managed to import 2 islands I know that isn't much but I'll tell you why. Today I was working on three of the main islands. Large structures are an absolute pain converting, because they run into many problems with not converting right. Also it is a pain importing the converted file into Minecraft because I usually will have to mirror the structure because it converts mirrored, and roll it because it imports on it's side. With small structures this isn't a problem you just press the button and it's done. But with 800x800x256 structures it gets laggy and most of the time I will have to split the island into halves or fourths so that McEdit won't crash when rotating, rolling, or especially mirroring the islands. Not to mention the TIME it takes converting and importing these structures.

Enough chit-chat back to the update.

Tortuga
Accidentally imported it into the world on top of the Privateering Ocean Rocks. That is why there is a huge rock to the right. I will fix that later.
2014-06-29_19.06.59.png screenshot-Sun-Jun-29-19-11-38-2014-1646.jpg
Raven's Cove
It seems a little large to me, also I will have to fix the huge holes in the island. At least I have a guideline. It was either that or huge random floating structures.
2014-06-29_18.45.10.png 2014-06-29_18.43.49.png screenshot-Sun-Jun-29-19-14-04-2014-6350.jpg screenshot-Sun-Jun-29-19-13-38-2014-4831.jpg
Port Royal
Couldn't get this done today even at the largest possible resolution Binvox supports, (1024x1024x1024) the city was really small. I will most likely have to go into blender and separate the city from the mountains and convert them separately. Hopefully I can figure out how. :sad1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back