POTCO will never die. Campaign

Who wants to pay a monthly fee just to become a target for some hacker using a free account???
What I learned is that I do not associate with anyone in an online game that uses cheats or hacks.
Exactly! You understand where I am coming from. ;) And the point to be made is that while we - as players - don't want to judge people too harshly, by agreeably associating with them we are essentially both shaking their hand and turning our head away from the things they are doing wrong.

*What makes this especially tough is that this is not a POTCO problem; it is a LIFE problem and each of us will be faced with greater things than just the livelihood of some game to where we must decide which side of the fence we ultimately want to be one.

~ I don't mean to sound preachy but I learned quickly as a kid that when I did the "limbo" :rolleyes: at some roller skating rink, that I had to quickly access the situation and decide which side of the pole that I sincerely wanted to be on before the arch in my back began to give out and I was left folded in half like some piece of taco shell!

As long time of inactivity, I wasn't playing in this time. I would like to mention in the reply that anyone can make potco working by hosting it on his IP(Local or VPS) . I don't guess you will need to upload any file to the VPS, you will just need to port forward the game on the IP, And problem is no one know the port...I don't mean to double, I also want to say : POTCO was hosted on a VPS which all game data were uploaded at(As found on logs) It was hosted on the VPS Localhost. If anyone could buy a VPS and find the game data files we could make it alive again..POTCO is not working due to game file on the Disney Host are deleted,they changed their Host VPS or changed the game IP. Because log says it cannot find files..

Last edited by a moderator:
As long time of inactivity, I wasn't playing in this time. I would like to mention in the reply that anyone can make potco working by hosting it on his IP(Local or VPS) . I don't guess you will need to upload any file to the VPS, you will just need to port forward the game on the IP, And problem is no one know the port...I don't mean to double, I also want to say : POTCO was hosted on a VPS which all game data were uploaded at(As found on logs) It was hosted on the VPS Localhost. If anyone could buy a VPS and find the game data files we could make it alive again..

Too Techy for me lol XD

Heh, I can't even run the game. I meant that they could upload the game files for us to use. It would be a Christmas present? To all of us. :) I am sure all of us would enjoy being able to make your own world, and play around. Even I would code something to help players spawn in items, and build there own worlds. Kinda like single-player.

Anyway, if any Disney member finds this I hope they refer it to there boss, or if they are the boss hear me out. Even though this is going out on a limb that anyone come Disney would read this it is still worth a shot.From Disney *

Despite any length of attempts by us, they have their decision set in stone. There's no stopping them now, the only thing we -as the players- can do now is keep the memory alive, and the community strong. It may be a sad day, but there were many more happier ones.
Aye! And when a retail giant like WAL-MART * is advertising a Disney product which directly competes against a game like POTCO (as far as the 'POTC' brand is concerned), then...there is your sign!

(Note: I witnessed this commercial on television 'not more' than 2-3 hours ago)

I think they owe it to us to publish the game files for our use, but you can sure as hell bet they wont.

I think they owe it to us to publish the game files for our use, but you can sure as hell bet they wont.

They actually did. There is now this POTCO Rewritten going on, but the teenages from Pirates of Legend lead it. I saw the e-mail that was sent to them, but they say '''So long as money is not being profited from the firm, you may willingly use what was seen on Pirates of the Caribbean Online''. So I doubt the POTCO Rewritten team will go anywhere, I'm sure they want money other than helping the community, but maybe just missed out this part.

Here is the mail, and I'm sorry for the small image:

300px-Allowance.png

...POTCO Rewritten...Pirates of Legend lead it. I saw the e-mail that was sent to them, but they say '''So long as money is not being profited from the firm, you may willingly use what was seen on Pirates of the Caribbean Online''.

300px-Allowance.png
I have seen the content posted within this email as well. *Can't know for sure though if it is 100% legit and not doctored.

I find it difficult to believe that Disney would just "allow" the POTC brand to co-exist without their influence or hand in it (and especially since we all know that another POTC/Johnny Depp movie will only further promote the brand a couple of years from now).

I have seen the content posted within this email as well. *Can't know for sure though if it is 100% legit and not doctored.

I find it difficult to believe that Disney would just "allow" the POTC brand to co-exist without their influence or hand in it (and especially since we all know that another POTC/Johnny Depp movie will only further promote the brand a couple of years from now).

Yeah, and that's why they said the quote I marked above. They allow you to do whatever with their content but they don't want you to profit from it. So its a very well designed trap and a perfect way to sue people.

Heh. Unless they take private donations for something "different" then I find it hard to believe they will be able to make the money to host a server. If they are going to host a server. :/

Not sure that's real.

What would be the problem with POTCO Rewritten, anyway? If they aren't making any money, wouldn't it be free promotion for Disney? I have no idea on any of this; it just seems that it wouldn't be that bad. Unless, somehow, I'm missing something.

What would be the problem with POTCO Rewritten, anyway? If they aren't making any money, wouldn't it be free promotion for Disney? I have no idea on any of this; it just seems that it wouldn't be that bad. Unless, somehow, I'm missing something.
Placing myself "on the spot" here, really I feel that there is absolutely nothing wrong with any POTCO remake/emulator game on the surface. In fact, I feel that it is pretty dang cool for players themselves to initiate such projects on their own behalf to not only showcase their talent, coding, and creative skills but also provide a possible (second) home for many pirates whom were displaced and ousted from Disney's Caribbean. In fact, such initiative is quite admirable considering that at least one POTCO remake that I know of is being developed by someone whom publicly claims to be tenaciously dedicated despite themselves being young in age.

The problem that I do have - myself - with gaming emulators meant to mirror POTCO (like 'POTHS' or 'POTCO Rewritten' for example) is that while such projects are highly "capable" of being developed by ex-POTCO players, that those same players have been so preoccupied with whether or not that they could that they (seem) to have failed in stopping to think if they should. Does that make any sense to anyone?

If not then please recall a scene which played out in the movie, "Jurassic Park" and listen carefully to actor Jeff Goldblum and what his character is trying to convey:

Now specifically what bothers me in addition to the above are the following issues below that I feel have not been sufficiently answered with absolute clarity from any POTCO emulator/gaming project being developed thus far:
  • If paying for "unlimited access" (in the case of 'POTHS'), WHO exactly will be responsible/made aware of other players' information (i.e., personal email addresses, full name, location, credit card information, etc.)?
  • WHO will be responsible for the settling of in-game disputes/reporting and HOW can players' be overwhelmingly convinced that "fairness" will always be achieved? (If ex-POTCO players themselves are in control of the development of such games, WHO will be responsible to monitor them to assure that favoritism has no place)?
To simply ignore/fail to provide an answer to such questions only facilitates a level of doubt within me as a player whom personally understands the influx of 3rd party/python hacking which was allowed to exist on POTCO during 2013.
:banana split:
~ It saddens me to think that I "cannot" fully trust the promises of ex-POTCO players but to be honest, that was the state of POTCO before September 19, was it not?

aye i support the idea of an outlet for pirates 100% with the same concernes you do as well. i still personaly believe pirates may make a comeback just because of the small things that seem to hint me towards that. things such as the email responses i got as well as the simple fact that they re did their website which means they havent just dropped everything and left it to rot like an aboandoned building. particularly because only pirates website got that attention while the others are still just a white web page leaving behind no trace of what was their. but back on subject, ya a pirates remake may interesting to see and certainly a step in the right direction.

Shamus The Brute Irene

I'm pretty sure the email is real. ToonTown Rewritten was given permission with the same requirement. (No profit)
I've stayed close with this project, and it seems that they are indeed attempting to recreate Pirates Online to the best of their capabilities. Just because we are young doesn't mean we aren't capable of doing it. (Although I still have my doubts they will be able to maintain the game over a long period of time, I think that the team deserves some credit for trying.)

I'm pretty sure the email is real. ToonTown Rewritten was given permission with the same requirement. (No profit). I've stayed close with this project, and it seems that they are indeed attempting to recreate Pirates Online to the best of their capabilities.
Not wanting to create misunderstanding (my only desire is to enlighten), are you aware that ToonTown was especially hit hard by in-game hacking during 2013? I don't want to minimize the play atmosphere of ToonTown in any way but other than the 2008 DV Labs case study which affected POTCO, much of the experimentation (put into practice) which dealt with a better understanding of python coding came from players dedicated to ToonTown (alert ToonTown and POTCO players were then able to either capitalize or incorporate their own spin on such understanding and were then able to put into practice such understanding towards POTCO due to the fact that 'both' games run on the same gaming engine).

*Speaking for myself alone, the above understanding permits me to think twice about granting a full amount of my trust towards projects associated with ToonTown (no offense to 'talented' players of that game).

Just because we are young doesn't mean we aren't capable of doing it.
If you read carefully what I have already written, you will know that I am not implying this in any way. Age is irrelevant in my opinion on most matters. I can honestly "say" this because I have been judged unfarily about my age before and I understand that age plays only a minimum factor in people accomplishing BIG things in life. :)

Back