Discussion of Discord Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I ever mention that I like housekeeping a lot? :hugs:

For people complaining about freedom of speech given here and there, all I could say is that for every rule, there's a rule-breaker. And now I do know that this doesn't make of any sense but please try to follow me for a moment. If some of you are under the impression that we're addicted to being party poopers then you're wrong. The only reason new rules - policies are being enforced is because unpleasant circumstances are popping up day after day. I know that I'm being quaint at this point as I've stated this numerous times but we're literaly doing our best to avoid drama in this place. This is not a battlearena. Is it?

Jokes aside, for as long as people find holes to create dispute there will always be a corresponding policy right around the corner.

Again, I'd like to extend this message by saying a big thank you to all of you out there. This place could have been nothing without your contributions and continued support.

{{JMak is a filthy rat - boo}}

In which case, I see no reason why the team can't make an official TLOPO Discord. No inappropriate language, insults, death threats, etc., only one Discord to moderate instead of the seventeen or so that exist and it's a 24/7 chatroom!

That would require constant moderation from staff. It's just too much of an undertaking to moderate voice channels without a bot capable of translate speech to text in real time from multiple people.

Greetings Forum Family!!!

Unfortunately, the topic of Discord servers has become something of a hot button issue lately. We here at Pirates Forums, and also on behalf of the TLOPO team, have a few things we would like considered with regards to Discord servers.

First, we want it known that we aren't trying to show bias towards any one single Discord server. Nor would we without good reason, as it is almost certain that neither of our teams will ever have official Discord servers. With this in mind, we would appreciate if the names of community Discord servers did not contain 'TLOPO' or 'Pirates Forums', unofficial or otherwise, as the things we have seen lately are things we would prefer not to be associated with. We do not wish to offend anyone, and ask that people remember that moderation of these servers can be difficult, and that this is a genuine request on our part rather than a demand.

Effective tomorrow, May 18th, we will be locking threads involving Discord servers and creating an unofficial directory thread instead. Discussions surrounding Discord servers have been pretty animated community-wide, and things have only continued to snowball on that front. For a server to be added to this list, the server owner is required to be a member of the forums. Along with this, a reminder that any discussion from Discord servers that rolls over to the forums may be reported and subsequently removed, with warnings given out for any rule infractions as necessary.

We'd appreciate if server owners would handle any issues that arise either via conversations here or on the Discord server itself. We will not be moderating or associating with any Discord servers. Members of our teams may be a part of them, of course, but they'd be representing only themselves as individuals and not either of the teams directly.

You may find the Unofficial Discord Directory thread here: https://piratesforums.co/threads/unofficial-discord-directory.18405/

@Punkin Pie will be taking care of this thread, so please send server addition requests to her, and let her know if any changes arise.

Once again, as always, thank you all so much for being a part of our Forum Family. Issues as of late have been escalating in toxicity and consequently have become difficult to deal with... so it's time to make a change. We appreciate all of your contributions and hope this will alleviate any Discord issues in the future.

Your Swashbuckling Lead Moderator,
Johnny Mak
Is there a link to join it

Ahoy! I can certainly understand the reasoning behind this, and have no qualms with it (not that that would matter :p). However, I do have a question or two.

I have been working on creating a Discord server recently for the community, I don't plan on releasing it yet as its intended purpose is for something that isn't currently working in game. This Discord isn't really a chat room meant for purely socializing, rather a way for the community to come together and find others with a common goal so they can help each other. But basically my question is, are we allowed to put out a thread inviting people to join it? Or do we simply ask to have it put into the directory and can do no more than that. The reason I ask is due to the nature of what this Discord is, we need people to be in it for it to serve its purpose, and if people don't know about it, it will fail.

I really do not like discord, and I'm so tired of people saying "do you have discord?" The answer is no and I'm not getting one. In my guild you aren't even eligible for promotions unless your on the discord -.-

Last edited:
I really do not like discord, and I'm so tired of people saying "do you have discord?" The answer is no and I'm not getting one. I'm my guild you aren't even eligible for promotions unless your on the discord -.-

Here's the thing, as veterans or even officers, you are expected to raise issues of rules violation, either in the TLOPO TOS or those of our guild to higher ups, and it's not very easy to do so unless you are on our discord. Guild's are welcome to set their own rules as long as they are not in violation of the TLOPO TOS.

Here's the thing, as veterans or even officers, you are expected to raise issues of rules violation, either in the TLOPO TOS or those of our guild to higher ups, and it's not very easy to do so unless you are on our discord. Guild's are welcome to set their own rules as long as they are not in violation of the TLOPO TOS.
The thing is I shouldn't have to download discord to be promoted in this game TLOPO. That's just unfair. I understand it's not violating TLOPO TOS but it's an annoying rule. I'm in the guild to talk to/help other players of TLOPO not there to talk to others in discord. Don't you think it would be better if you could be promoted as a guild member in TLOPO and promoted as a guild member on discord in two different ways. The only rules that apply to both the discord and the game are the guild's rules. All you would be doing on discord is moderating the chat no?

The thing is I shouldn't have to download discord to be promoted in this game TLOPO. That's just unfair. I understand it's not violating TLOPO TOS but it's an annoying rule. I'm in the guild to talk to/help other players of TLOPO not there to talk to others in discord. Don't you think it would be better if you could be promoted as a guild member in TLOPO and promoted as a guild member on discord in two different ways. The only rules that apply to both the discord and the game are the guild's rules. All you would be doing on discord is moderating the chat no?

A guild discord allows us to communicate more effectively even if none of us are in the game. It's also a lightweight application, and our style of moderation is fairly hands off, we've only had to step in and issue serious punishment just once when it came to a certain former member of Dark Archive. Whether or not you join our discord is up to you.

A guild discord allows us to communicate more effectively even if none of us are in the game. It's also a lightweight application, and our style of moderation is fairly hands off, we've only had to step in and issue serious punishment just once when it came to a certain former member of Dark Archive. Whether or not you join our discord is up to you.
How does it help you all communicate more effectively? That does not make sense. Anything you should be able to say in discord you can say in TLOPO. Anything that you can say on the discord but can't say on TLOPO is probably something that I don't want to see.

btw I'm sorry if I'm coming off mean but this is a subject that really annoys me in our guild.

How does it help you all communicate more effectively? That does not make sense. Anything you should be able to say in discord you can say in TLOPO. Anything that you can say on the discord but can't say on TLOPO is probably something that I don't want to see.

What if we aren't able to get in the game? Either because we're away, power's out, internet died, or other reasons? Furthermore anything not on the game's whitelist cannot be said in game. And what about voice? Chat in the game is needed, but not too convenient to use since it means forfeiting control for the time it takes to type, and this prove deadly when surrounded by high level enemies and ships. Why bother typing "get on repair ye scurvy dogs" when I can just say it in a voice channel?

What if we aren't able to get in the game? Either because we're away, power's out, internet died, or other reasons? Furthermore anything not on the game's whitelist cannot be said in game. And what about voice? Chat in the game is needed, but not too convenient to use since it means forfeiting control for the time it takes to type, and this prove deadly when surrounded by high level enemies and ships. Why bother typing "get on repair ye scurvy dogs" when I can just say it in a voice channel?
I have said before that when I am not playing the game that probably means that I don't want to chat with my guild. Real life is more important then the video game so I wouldn't really talk to the guild unless I am in game which happens to be quite a bit. On the voice part, not everyone wants other pirates to hear their voice. Can't this just remain a game where we are all pirates? If I'm using a voice chat I'm not going to say "Get on deck ye scurvy dogs!" I'm going to say "Someone get on the ship please." It kind of defeats the purpose of being a pirate.

We should probably take this to a PM but I'll let you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back