Public Ship Boot Option

I remember in Potco it used to work if you got a shot off on the ship then you get the loot that drops. So realistically, if you don't participate on the ship, you get nothing from the loot pouches or chests. If that gets fixed in tlopo there will be no need for a boot option because those loot jumpers won't get any loot from not doing anything.
Yes they did have that on potco. It is a good idea to implement, but what if all the cannons are filled? Those that are not on cannons get no credit at all even if they repair. Also if the captain is switching sides every other ship since he has a full crew, then half or so of the crew misses out on those ships sunk on the other side. I am not saying this shouldn't happen, just am pointing out the other side.

I just sunk my own ship because a parasite pirate wouldn't leave.
Sorry crew, but I'm not gonna play that game.
The pirate in question was Big Sleepy, from Aethos guild.
Was hiding, then when caught tried to steel the helm, and then pretended he didn't know English at first, then spoke fluently.
Resorted to insults and name calling instead of owning up.
Refused to leave so I gave crew notice that the ship would be sunk and to tp off, and then it was sunk.
Savor it!

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been one of the biggest issues that has irritated me in the game.
I know there are so many pros and cons to adding a booting option on ships, but overall for me the pros outweigh the cons.
HOWEVER, I know that sadly not all pirates out there have the best intentions, so when the boot option does get implemented, the option to click on player names ABSOLUTELY needs to be implemented prior. That way if you do come across a rogue pirate that has a tendency to boot so that he/she can take all loot, then you would be able to block/blacklist him or her so that you'd know to avoid boarding their ship in the future.
I know this isn't a perfect suggestion, but some of the previously suggested ideas were really great as well so perhaps they could somehow be combined and branched upon.

Wow.. no wonder people only start joining my ship after the cargo is at max... thought you had to help damage to ship to get a share of the loot. But from my experience it's the low levels/noobs always helps, it's the players in the level 20s that I notice just standing there when I have a crew.

Wow.. no wonder people only start joining my ship after the cargo is at max... thought you had to help damage to ship to get a share of the loot. But from my experience it's the low levels/noobs always helps, it's the players in the level 20s that I notice just standing there when I have a crew.
It used to be like that where you had to get a shot on the ship to get any sort of credit

We really need to have this boot option.
These two pirates were rude and insulting while doing nothing but chatter on the ship, bringing down the morale of the other players while bragging about the fact that they were not going to do anything and there was nothing anyone could do about it.
Seems to make the game less enjoyable for those who really want to play.
I mean, why be here if you don't want to do anything?
I don't get it, but that's just me.

screenshot_2017-02-04_01-52-12.jpg

Can there be a boot option implemented to public sailing to kick people who are just there to loot jump or those that just troll other crew members? it would be nice to help the noobs who need it but boot those that don't help at all
this is something i've also been saying we really need this implemented eventually, and i'm definitely not for the potco method where if you dont hit a ship you dont get it's loot.

It's not worth it; this would destroy the trust of a public crew. I do NOT want to discourage random publics from joining my bote, because they give me a rep bonus and the REAL loot is not divided. The randoms usually make up my crew, and I really do not care if they're there just to get loot. As long as they fire from cannons

I don't think a boot option is necessary. Instead, looting should be tweaked for ships so that you only get loot for ships you've helped destroy. This would make it much simpler, both to code and to deal with the trolls.

Chris
but then when cannons fill there's overflow, people who want to shoot but the side is full

what if there was a vote to kick option
I agree, there would be some complications to work on. However, I think that a kick option is far more work due to the way loot is distributed at the end of the voyage. Vote to kick could still be abused by a group of friends looking to troll others. But I like the idea and wonder if there is something similar that might work the same.

Honestly, though. If you don't want people crashing your ship, it's best to turn off the public option. It's simple.

Christopher

but then when cannons fill there's overflow, people who want to shoot but the side is full
Repair. Perhaps another sailing on-ship activity could be added as well. There is a lot of potential for crew involvement on ships that has not been addressed.

Chris

OK, after thinking about this from many angles, it seems the crew aspect may hold the key.
Crew mates get the loot they deserve, and those not in crew can either request crew or go away.
Only crew share in the "crew loot" & benefits (of crew) unless they've been actively shooting or repairing the ship, whether they are in crew or not.
Anyone in crew found not to be helping can then be booted from crew and still stay on the ship if they choose, getting the loot they actively helped to earn, be it sinking ships or repairing the boat.
Those that do nothing and get booted from crew would get nothing, but can remain on the ship if they choose to.
Those that do work and get booted from crew for some reason will still get whatever they earned by helping.
In this scenario, even if you get booted from crew unfairly after having helped out, you still get your loot and don't have to worry about it or about getting booted off the ship unfairly.
If you did nothing, you get nothing.
No one gets booted unfairly or robbed of their good work, etc.
Moochers can stay on board and if they do nothing, they get nothing.
However, the limit to how many pirates can be on a ship should be related to how many active crew mates are on board, not how many pirates there are on the ship, as those not working do take an active slot away from the pirates who are actively playing the game.
So, if a ship has 12 slots, those in crew should make up that tally, not those not in crew or doing nothing.
While there would still be a slim gray area for those who worked and then got booted from crew, those players would still get all the loot they helped or continue to help earn.
No one gets booted unfairly or otherwise, and no one who earned loot gets robbed of their loot.

I agree, there would be some complications to work on. However, I think that a kick option is far more work due to the way loot is distributed at the end of the voyage. Vote to kick could still be abused by a group of friends looking to troll others. But I like the idea and wonder if there is something similar that might work the same.

Honestly, though. If you don't want people crashing your ship, it's best to turn off the public option. It's simple.

Christopher
Turning off the public option defeats one of the most important aspects of the game. The details should be carefully addressed and coded into the game to balance fair play with the purpose of a massively public game; having a public.
This is a simple problem to address and to be fair and equitable to all players.
Public access to ships is an essential and critical aspect of the game and probably one of the few places where different players can meet each other and make friends, etc, not to mention an important aspect of sailing and plundering.
That should be fairly obvious.

I actually think removing the public access to ships gives a better feel to the game. What should actually happen is, the captain sets up a crew before they set sail. This will actually give the Taverns more usage than simply for poker or blackjack.
I really like this idea. It would feel more piratey if you would go out and recruit a crew to sail with you instead of having to open it to just anyone. To add some sort of dynamic to this, perhaps people that have crewed them before can continue to enlist them, and for each time they accept from that same person, they earn some sort of loyalty bonus.

I really like this idea. It would feel more piratey if you would go out and recruit a crew to sail with you instead of having to open it to just anyone. To add some sort of dynamic to this, perhaps people that have crewed them before can continue to enlist them, and for each time they accept from that same person, they earn some sort of loyalty bonus.
To expand upon this even further.. What about two options when deploying your ship:

1) Public Only
2) Private Only (crew, friends, guild, potentially select which you'd like to be able to join when you deploy, and not when sailing)

Chris

Back