Public Ship Boot Option

I really like this idea. It would feel more piratey if you would go out and recruit a crew to sail with you instead of having to open it to just anyone. To add some sort of dynamic to this, perhaps people that have crewed them before can continue to enlist them, and for each time they accept from that same person, they earn some sort of loyalty bonus.
recruiting crewmates is a thing, if you click F and select the crew tab

recruiting crewmates is a thing, if you click F and select the crew tab
The thing is, "crew" in POTCO is really just a synonym for "party" in other games. Ships aren't really "crew-bound" as it is, which was probably to make it easier for players to board ships and sail with others. I think the solution that the other folks above thought up works pretty well. (Not to toot my own horn, but the division of "public" and "private" ships would extend that to make it so some players that can't find crews can still get on a ship).

Christopher

But there are those that are just starting that don't have any friends yet. Those few (that I normally get on my ship from public setting) deserve the chance to gun and loot with the "big boys and girls". I like helping the next pirate generation and for those who abuse that on a public ship setting should walk the plank.

But there are those that are just starting that don't have any friends yet. Those few (that I normally get on my ship from public setting) deserve the chance to gun and loot with the "big boys and girls". I like helping the next pirate generation and for those who abuse that on a public ship setting should walk the plank.
I actually think most captains tend to cater towards the lower leveled pirates, who truly need to level. The system suggested above will merely provide a filter, so that the captain can choose who to bring along. I'm sure everyone here would prefer to choose the pirates that actually need to do the work.

I usually troll the trolls. If people join my ship just because of my loot, I just tell them it's a rep run, and they leave.
This ^ is a very smart thing to do.

Ultimately and in the end, a "smart" Captain would outsmart the trolls by possibly doing this and other things. For instance, as Captain just personally chat to those crew members you wish you keep and communicate to them a plan. One such plan could be to take your ship completely out of action for a while by just cruising around the Caribbean (on the outskirts) where no loot can be acquired. Sooner or later, the trolls will grow impatient and then leave to where...as Captain...you have then the luxury to close that ship of yours to the public and continue to plunder with a crew trustworthy to your cause. (For those crew whom both stay and listen to you throughout such time, these are the type of people you want on your ship whom understand the mutually benefit of a working crew coupled with a patient/wise Captain).

*As Captain of your ship, there is nothing wrong with "testing" your crew's loyalty and/or subordination.

To expand upon this even further.. What about two options when deploying your ship:

1) Public Only
2) Private Only (crew, friends, guild, potentially select which you'd like to be able to join when you deploy, and not when sailing)

Chris
Chris, isn't that what we already have??? The premise of this thread is the scourge of moochers and how to effectively deal with them and not be unfair to those that actually wish to engage in the activity of plundering. While I am appreciative that you've "reinvented" the sailing aspect, you've essentially come full circle and gotten nowhere...
Unless you were trying to be ironic...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultimately and in the end, a "smart" Captain would outsmart the trolls by possibly doing this and other things. For instance, as Captain just personally chat to those crew members you wish you keep and communicate to them a plan. One such plan could be to take your ship completely out of action for a while by just cruising around the Caribbean (on the outskirts) where no loot can be acquired. Sooner or later, the trolls will grow impatient and then leave to where...as Captain...you have then the luxury to close that ship of yours to the public and continue to plunder with a crew trustworthy to your cause. (For those crew whom both stay and listen to you throughout such time, these are the type of people you want on your ship whom understand the mutually benefit of a working crew coupled with a patient/wise Captain).

*As Captain of your ship, there is nothing wrong with "testing" your crew's loyalty and/or subordination.
Except many players don't have the time, lacking a beta key, and the moochers go afk and don't care about the time wasted.

Except many players don't have the time, lacking a beta key, and the moochers go afk and don't care about the time wasted.
Time is a tricky thing. This BETA phase is no exception. Only thing I can say to that is...spend your "time" wisely in BETA by not viewing it as play-time (even if it is) and look for those bugs/glitches which is what everyone is supposed to be doing.

When the time is both proper and right, my advice to Captains' (to thwart trolls on their ship) still stands. :)

No. This is completely different. It would force people to create crews if they want to sail without "moochers". We are comparing the current system, in which you can only toggle boarding settings while already on your ship, to a system where public and private ships are entirely separate and not interchangeable. If you don't care about who is on your ship, you run public and stop worrying about it. If you care, you make a private ship. The current method gives people a chance to hop on if they are in your guild, if they are your friend, if you have it set "public". But in this refactored system, there is only "public" and "preset group".

Christopher

We have slight issue though; removing your ship from the public list does not actually work. I tried tonight as mine was full, yet randoms were still joining when my crew was DCed. Of course, they all were nice people and fired at things, but my original crew member that got DCed was a tad upset.

This seems to happen only after the ship has been public for a substantial amount of time, probably worth looking into. (Mine had been public for 55 minutes)

We have slight issue though; removing your ship from the public list does not actually work. I tried tonight as mine was full, yet randoms were still joining when my crew was DCed. Of course, they all were nice people and fired at things, but my original crew member that got DCed was a tad upset.

This seems to happen only after the ship has been public for a substantial amount of time, probably worth looking into. (Mine had been public for 55 minutes)
If it were me in your case, I would chat to as many friends I have on my "list" and encourage them to go sailing. In a way, I am assuming that would kill two birds with one stone. (Not only would your crew be more trustworthy and would listen but you would also avoid the opening of your ship to the public, until a fix is made).

Back