PvP PvP Tournament (2v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarecrow

Swashbuckler
@Spade and I are hosting a 2v2 tournament. If you're interested, you can sign up with your partner here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...TxpCzmpkq0l318LfehBWW99Q/viewform?usp=sf_link

Rules and description are in the document.

**Rewards: $100 each to the team that gets first place.**
**$50 each to the team that gets second place**
Note: Form in which the money is rewarded to the user is entirely up to them. Possible options include PayPal, gift cards, etc.

Last edited:
Just to be clear: POTCO is being recreated by TLOPO so TLOPO players can make $ on the side as a result of POTCO being remade?

Just to be clear: POTCO is being recreated by TLOPO so TLOPO players can make $ on the side as a result of POTCO being remade?
1. This money is coming voluntarily from members of the community. The money is not going toward the development team to aid them in funding the game.
2. Really? You have nothing better to do than voice your extremely, not-so-needed opinion with something that doesn't affect you and something you're not going to participate in?

I could have easily gone and done this without the forums. This is an interesting way to spice things up, as most people in nearly every online game place wagers on things they do. I appreciate your effort along with your detrimental mindset trying to come in and make this into a forums post where you sit at your computer all day and lunge away at your keyboard, but I'll pass. Thanks for stopping by.

I think I just might do the same idea then, but for SVS - I mean.

It is a really good idea ;) and as soon as I can acquire something bigger than this phone (because I am not on a 'computer' all day), I think I will decide to play TLOPO and exchange around money based on a game which is coming along well given it's status as a shuttered but protected game. Dat rule written about anything illegal not being permitted (within TLOPO's terms) shouldn't keep myself from exchanging $ money around. *I really like this idea and I just hope what $ can be gained by SVS/privateering players will produce the same type of gains others hope to gain from the love and the play of fair PVP.

Kinda makes me think why I have failed to think of this sooner. Thank you! :) Cannot wait to bring in some extra cash $ (dependent upon how well things go for myself).

1. This money is coming voluntarily from members of the community. The money is not going toward the development team to aid them in funding the game.
2. Really? You have nothing better to do than voice your extremely, not-so-needed opinion with something that doesn't affect you and something you're not going to participate in?

I could have easily gone and done this without the forums. This is an interesting way to spice things up, as most people in nearly every online game place wagers on things they do. I appreciate your effort along with your detrimental mindset trying to come in and make this into a forums post where you sit at your computer all day and lunge away at your keyboard, but I'll pass. Thanks for stopping by.
I like the idea personally, but @Shamus The Brute raises a valid point. He never stated that the money would go to the developers, however the idea of TLOPO making money or players of TLOPO making money has always been a controversial issue among the community, as we are treading new legal ground in terms of the game.

Secondly, I think it's incredibly daft and naive of you to lambast him for voicing his "not-so-needed" opinion. You have absolutely no right to determine who has opinions that matter and opinions that don't. The world doesn't work that way.

Thirdly, you have no way to determine whether he would have signed up or not to the competition, and so stating that he won't be is either a mistake, or you wouldn't allow him to compete if he did wish to enter which immediately brings into question the legitimacy of this contest, which just casts more shade onto this.

Fourthly, TLOPO is not in the position of "nearly every online game," and so trying to draw comparisons is counterproductive. Most games where people place wagers are not fan-made recreations being supported by people investing their lives into developing it, who don't have time to fight potential legal battles.

Fifthly, I'd be curious to know how you determined that his mindset was detrimental, given that he raises a single, valid point? I assume it's detrimental by your own account because as you state after, he tried to "make this into a forums post" (which it already is, you even say so yourself.) Not only is that reasoning that you employ flawed, but the forums, by definition, are a place where we communicate our opinions and ideas. You are contributing zero, and I would say actively taking away from the purpose of the forums by dismissing potential criticism.

Sixthly, what do you mean by "but I'll pass"? I'm asking because he didn't given you an option for anything but rather posed a question of his own.

Frankly this whole response was flawed, and I find it laughable that you dismiss someone for having scruples. I wish you good luck with your tournament, but if you can't take criticism, then the forums isn't the place for you.

EDIT: Given that Shamus is also a site founder, it shouldn't be surprising or used as an insult that he "sits at his computer all day and lunges away at his keyboard." That is just being devoted to the forums and trying to make it better, as was the case here.

Last edited:
I like the idea personally, but @Shamus The Brute raises a valid point. He never stated that the money would go to the developers, however the idea of TLOPO making money or players of TLOPO making money has always been a controversial issue among the community, as we are treading new legal ground in terms of the game.

Secondly, I think it's incredibly daft and naive of you to lambast him for voicing his "not-so-needed" opinion. You have absolutely no right to determine who has opinions that matter and opinions that don't. The world doesn't work that way.

Thirdly, you have no way to determine whether he would have signed up or not to the competition, and so stating that he won't be is either a mistake, or you wouldn't allow him to compete if he did wish to enter which immediately brings into question the legitimacy of this contest, which just casts more shade onto this.

Fourthly, TLOPO is not in the position of "nearly every online game," and so trying to draw comparisons is counterproductive. Most games where people place wagers are not fan-made recreations being supported by people investing their lives into developing it, who don't have time to fight potential legal battles.

Fifthly, I'd be curious to know how you determined that his mindset was detrimental, given that he raises a single, valid point? I assume it's detrimental by your own account because as you state after, he tried to "make this into a forums post" (which it already is, you even say so yourself.) Not only is that reasoning that you employ flawed, but the forums, by definition, are a place where we communicate our opinions and ideas. You are contributing zero, and I would say actively taking away from the purpose of the forums by dismissing potential criticism.

Sixthly, what do you mean by "but I'll pass"? I'm asking because he didn't given you an option for anything but rather posed a question of his own.

Frankly this whole response was flawed, and I find it laughable that you dismiss someone for having scruples. I wish you good luck with your tournament, but if you can't take criticism, then the forums isn't the place for you.

EDIT: Given that Shamus is also a site founder, it shouldn't be surprising or used as an insult that he "sits at his computer all day and lunges away at his keyboard." That is just being devoted to the forums and trying to make it better, as was the case here.
People know, and I have made it clear, that I won't play a remake under certain conditions. However, I make a point too to never say never (given how much I love a certain game aspect of POTCO to which I can explain elsewhere).

Look. I get the interest and the driving force behind this thread's OP. However, if TLOPO is going to permit this type of thing contrary to it's terms (and it's belief system to avoid rocking the legal boat) then everyone should be allowed to do the same thing as to what this thread suggests. While great for community engagement, just perhaps it may not be the best message TLOPO has apparently been trying to send - publicly.

I don't know the Terms and Conditions inside out, but I am really fairly certain @Scarecrow & @Spade are in the clear here.
TLOPO is receiving no money, and it's a simple competition with a giveaway.
I think some people may personally not like the idea of real currency being anywhere near this game, but I think that comes down to just being a preference.

On top of being generous, I feel like these guys are doing a really awesome thing by trying to spark back up some activity and create some hype around something in the game. I'll be looking for training/pvp partner ;)

@Shamus The Brute @JessieTT

There is this one remake that’s existed for years now which charges hundreds of dollars just to access basic features of gameplay. If there were any concern for an alert, it would be with a scam like that which has never even had legal actions taken against it despite the fact all proceeds are pocketed by the lead developer.

This is a harmless yet enticing tournament with no evil intentions. Your concerns are dearly appreciated, though we’re completely safe and fear no punishments.

I don't know the Terms and Conditions inside out, but I am really fairly certain @Scarecrow & @Spade are in the clear here.
TLOPO is receiving no money, and it's a simple competition with a giveaway.
I think some people may personally not like the idea of real currency being anywhere near this game, but I think that comes down to just being a preference.

On top of being generous, I feel like these guys are doing a really awesome thing by trying to spark back up some activity and create some hype around something in the game. I'll be looking for training/pvp partner ;)
Correct, this tournament is perfectly fine.

The idea of this event's reward portion to the competitors is exactly identical to the idea of a livestream giveaway. It is not negatively represented, and we have never had an issue with player-committed competition and such, especially when there's no possible loophole for this to be an issue on-side of the game.

@Shamus The Brute The caution is appreciated, however, this is entirely safe to run and there's nothing about this that violates TLOPO ToS.

Correct, this tournament is perfectly fine.
Nice to hear an official call on this, thanks.

As I said I wish luck to the tournament and hope it goes well, I was just concerned that the exchanging of money, given it is new to TLOPO, would require an official response.

Have fun with the tournament!

He never stated that the money would go to the developers, however the idea of TLOPO making money or players of TLOPO making money has always been a controversial issue among the community, as we are treading new legal ground in terms of the game.

It has been stated by the team, numerous times, in fact, that they are not allowed to profit off of their project. In my original post, it was clearly mentioned the money would be awarded to the winning teams. This clearly does not violate the ToS, and he knew that.

This humored me to say the least. His intentions were very clear, coming in here to start an issue with my post that obviously violated nothing. I do have a right, actually, because this post wasn't intended to be controversial, I was only putting the word out. I appreciate your attempt to educate me on how the world works, but I suggest learning to crawl before you can walk. You don't know me, so maybe it's daft and naive of you to assume such a thing.

Shade? I don't see any on my end. The only shade I see is your strive to white knight him while being ignorant to his true intentions of replying to my post. I have knowledge that he doesn't play the game, so I did have a way of determining whether or not he would have signed up for the competition. In fact, he also mentioned it himself, "
and as soon as I can acquire something bigger than this phone (because I am not on a 'computer' all day), I think I will decide to play TLOPO"

That is exactly one of the main issues when it comes to this type of mindset you're giving off. TLOPO is not in the position of nearly every online game, yes, that is very much so. Events like these are what draws the community in, and frankly, while the community population is slowly on the rise, many players are left with nothing to do at level 50. This is the first community-wide PvP event, with money as an incentive. Can it get better than this in the game's current state? Probably not. In case you already forgot while reading this, the money is coming voluntarily from members of the community. Theoretically, I could have done this without gathering attention from the community and developers and just asked every PvPer I know to participate, and this whole thing could have went down without the team knowing. Why would I do that, when I can clearly bring people together for a good time? Drawing comparisons is counterproductive? Do you have any idea of how the developers look at other games for inspiration? I'm going to assume you don't, but that's alright. I'd get into specifics about how this violates nothing of the ToS, but you were already put in your place by a moderator and a developer.

I don't think it takes more than an average level of intellectuality along with a decent knowledge of sarcasm to note that both his first and third reply were passive aggressive toward my original post. If you failed to catch this, well, you fill in the rest.

Indeed, I did say this was a forums post, but you also failed to connect the part where I said, "
where you sit at your computer all day and lunge away at your keyboard"
meaning the post wasn't intended for his sarcasm, it was intended to announce the first community-wide PvP event that is taking place. If I am "contributing zero" and "actively taking away from the purpose of the forums", then all of the submissions I've received so far must mean nothing, and hints that you might just be against an event that brings players together. His "single, valid point" has already been dismissed, so we won't delve any further into that.

Meaning I was not interested in debating something I already knew he had invalid thoughts on. Yet here I am, replying to you in order to educate you in.. English, I guess? Since nothing in my reply was misleading.

Now that I've explained everything for you, hopefully you've changed your mind on how "flawed" and "laughable" it was to dismiss what was so obviously a passive aggressive attempt to go back and forth on a post that wasn't intended for such actions.

Engaging in senseless keyboard wars and nit picking certain things are not my forté, but to each their own. Seeing as you directly quoted me, I'm glad we've at least agreed on something here.

@Scarecrow - What assurance can you give us that no TLOPO representative or staff will ever participate in one of these PVP/cash events? Your word?

Or look at the issue this way. If a TLOPO representative or staff member participated in the event and did win...what just defense can said person give if formally questioned about the fact that TLOPO/TLOPO staff/TLOPO representatives receives no funds whatsoever from players whom enjoy playing TLOPO? Your word (again)? :confused: Do you see where the danger lies???

Oh yeah, here too is another thought; if the Retch leader took in funds that makes it equally just and OK for TLOPO to do the same, correct @Spade? Has not TLOPO done a fairly well enough job in drawing a distinction (and line) against that bonehead decision? I feel that they have. But, if you are more than willing to support a cause which minimizes that long-fought distinction...I guess if that is the case...TLOPO needs to fess up and abandon the culture and language that there exists such a formal distinction.

TLDR; "perception" is what matters! Not perception between ourselves, man. :duh: PERCEPTION made by those whom do not know us nor our interests nor our struggles! Perception which is solid (through the lasting of time).

Last edited by a moderator:
@Scarecrow - What assurance can you give us that no TLOPO representative or staff will ever participate in one of these PVP/cash events? Your word?

Or look at the issue this way. If a TLOPO representative or staff member participated in the event and did win...what just defense can said person give if formally questioned about the fact that TLOPO/TLOPO staff/TLOPO representatives receives no funds whatsoever from players whom enjoy playing TLOPO? Your word (again)? :confused: Do you see where the danger lies???

Oh yeah, here too is another thought; if the Retch leader took in funds that makes it equally just and OK for TLOPO to do the same, correct @Spade? Has not TLOPO done a fairly well enough job in drawing a distinction (and line) behind that bonehead decision? I feel that they have. But, if you are more than willing to support a cause which minimizes that long-fought distinction...I guess if that is the case...TLOPO needs to fess up and abandon the culture and language that there exists such a formal distinction.

TLDR; "perception" is what matters! Not perception between ourselves, man. :duh: PERCEPTION made by those whom do not know us nor our interests nor our struggles! Perception which is solid (through the lasting of time).

Usually when it comes to cash tournaments like these, there can't really be any discrimination against anyone from participating as long as they play fairly. Just my thoughts on this though. Whatever they decide to do with the money is up to them. Though I must admit, PVPing in TLOPO isn't really competitive. So participate at your own risk. If you have a good sword, and know how to jump, you're set. Compared to other games (like Battlefront 2 that I play.. ALOT), their weapons are equally balanced and have weaknesses.

These are completely my own thoughts and opinions though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back