pypperoni? "optimizing the caribbean"?

Tilare

Buccaneer
I feel like it was a little early to announce the transfer from the old game engine to Pypperoni. I thought the game would become playable when that first Dev Insider came out showing the new performance boosts, however i have checked the tlopo website religiously every day since and am still wondering what happened. Why no progress updates? Why deleted dev insider posts?

Before I say this, I just wanna say I've never played the original POTCO game. I can say however, just from my time here on TLOPO, I've noticed the performance of the game is progressively getting better.

When I first started playing in mid 2018, even basic things like reeling a fish to the surface would cause my frames to drop. Firing cannons and many other lighting effects would do the same. I just logged in yesterday for the first time in a while, and I notice the frame drop is SIGNIFICANTLY less. In fact, the fps dropping is almost completely eleminated for me. I still have the same PC, so its nothing that I've done to change it.

Even today I noticed something with a Port Royal Jolly Roger invasion. Back in 2018 the amount of undead which spawned would lag me to oblivion. This time around, I barely got any fps drop. The small amount I did get was when 6 or 7 other pirates were throwing grenades.

So overall, I would confidently say that there are definitely performance boosts and other stability updates that are actively being worked on (even if we aren't informed of them).

I feel like it was a little early to announce the transfer from the old game engine to Pypperoni. I thought the game would become playable when that first Dev Insider came out showing the new performance boosts, however i have checked the tlopo website religiously every day since and am still wondering what happened. Why no progress updates? Why deleted dev insider posts?

Ahoy @Tilare,

While there haven't been progress updates released regarding the Pypperoni update and 64-Bit engine enhancements, rest assured that the crew are continuing to progress through converting the game to the Pypperoni engine. Updates such as this take some time for us to perfect, and we would like to make sure that all existing content in TLOPO is of running order on the release of Pypperoni. It would make little sense for the crew to release the new engine, while causing a number of other pre-existing features to malfunction as a result of the hastiness, so we would like to take the additional time to resolve that prior to releasing the enhanced engine for the community.

Ahoy @Tilare,

While there haven't been progress updates released regarding the Pypperoni update and 64-Bit engine enhancements, rest assured that the crew are continuing to progress through converting the game to the Pypperoni engine. Updates such as this take some time for us to perfect, and we would like to make sure that all existing content in TLOPO is of running order on the release of Pypperoni. It would make little sense for the crew to release the new engine, while causing a number of other pre-existing features to malfunction as a result of the hastiness, so we would like to take the additional time to resolve that prior to releasing the enhanced engine for the community.
Thank you for the clarification!

Stay tuned for details coming soon!

Back