Question Radeon 6850/6870 enough for SWTOR?

David Yellowhound

Honorable Pirate
Hello mates! I wanted to know if either the radeon 6850 or 6870 gfx cards will be enough to run swtor at either 1440x900 or 1600x900 at high or max settings above 60 fps. Thank you for your time.

A Radeon 6850 would allow you to run the game though I doubt at high for 60+ FPS. As for the 6870, I believe you could run at high and get 40-60 FPS but I'd just like to also note that SWTOR's servers are incredibly laggy and their engine is getting worse as the days go on so any FPS loss you notice may not be your card's problem.

I don't actually own either of these cards though so I just compared their specs to my GTX 960 and formulated my opinions on performance by how well my card does in-game so if someone else does actually own these cards, they may be able to give you a more accurate idea of what card would work best for you.

Ok after some more research, I was considering buying the gtx 570. How would you think this would fair at high to max settings?

Geforce GTX cards are pretty good, you ought to get good quality out of them, id recommend something just a little higher on the scale to be safe.
Keep in mind that whatever you buy you have to keep up with processor and cooling wise, my friend has a brand new founders edition 1080 for his rig but has an external hard drive, multiple fans, I think 6, and he keeps the room at a solid 55 degrees to keep it from catching on fire, but the graphics are spectacular XD It would hurt your eyes to watch for over an hour because that's how much detail it can handle, everything on ultra and it runs like a sink faucet, truly amazing, I'm so jealous of him but then again he works 8 hours a day and its rich XD

Ok after some more research, I was considering buying the gtx 570. How would you think this would fair at high to max settings?

Considering a GTX 960 almost doubles the performance of a GTX 570, I'd be doubtful at best. If I may recommend something however, the GPU market is about to take a major drop in pricing for numerous cards due to the release of the GTX 10* series so I'd recommend waiting until the end of June before buying any graphics card cause you'll most likely see price drops of up to $50 - $100 I believe.

However, a GTX 950 is going for as low as $116 (w/ discount and rebate as seen here: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/F2mxFT/msi-video-card-gtx9502gd5ocv1) and that is more than capable of running you on Ultra with at least 40+ FPS.

Geforce GTX cards are pretty good, you ought to get good quality out of them, id recommend something just a little higher on the scale to be safe.
Keep in mind that whatever you buy you have to keep up with processor and cooling wise, my friend has a brand new founders edition 1080 for his rig but has an external hard drive, multiple fans...
That sound's amazing! I wish I could buy a gtx 1080ti, but my bank account won't allow me to :p
Considering a GTX 960 almost doubles the performance of a GTX 570, I'd be doubtful at best. If I may recommend something however, the GPU market is about to take a major drop in pricing for numerous cards due to the release of the GTX 10* series so I'd recommend waiting until the end of June before buying any graphics card cause you'll most likely see price drops of up to $50 - $100 I believe.

However, a GTX 950 is going for as low as $116 (w/ discount and rebate as seen here: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/F2mxFT/msi-video-card-gtx9502gd5ocv1) and that is more than capable of running you on Ultra with at least 40+ FPS.
Thanks so much for the info and link. Yeah considering the new nvidia craze and amd's new card, I think i'll hold off until those get released.

Back