Workaround Random Game Crashes To Desktop - Fix

Solomon Helmfitte

Notorious Pirate
Arrr! Something I've been saying the last few days as TLOPO randomly crashed to my desktop (Turned off - gone!), this could happen at any time a few minutes into the game or just as I'd got a full load of Materials from sailing and was heading for Port... Arrr!

It was really taking the fun out of the game and driving me crazy, I'd tried for days all sorts of things:
1. Uninstalled TLOPO and re-installed numerous times.
2. Uninstalled GPU (video card) and drivers and re-installed.
3. Done memory and hard drive scans and stress tests.
4. Fiddled with settings for RAM and CPU.
5. Fiddle with BIOS settings.
6. Stopped using my overclocking tool on my GPU and my OC Tuner overclocking tool.
7. Tried downloading Intel tools... and so on and so on

Each time I thought it had somehow settled down half an hour or hour later... Game Gone! Arrr!

So after reading numerous blogs I finally found one that taught this noob a Fantastic New Lesson!

THE EVENT VIEWER!

Tucked away in your start menu near the bottom in Windows Administrative Tools is the Event Viewer, one of those Administrative Tools that many of us basic Windows Users never use or understand.

Once you open it it has a log of all the errors and events that have happened on your PC when they happened and what happened. (It's quiet easy to read and you can google it if you want)

The errors and other events are compiled into groups, so it's easy to see the error that just happened and the frequency of that error over the last 24 hours and last week!

There it was over and over dozens of times the same error just when my Game Crashed! (This will work with any game or App) More importantly a simple litte description of where the error was occurring...

C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe

Cortana! That little backstabber! So then it was a quick search on Google which gave me various fixes and solutions, some of which I tried in Windows Power Shell but couldn't get them to work and then the easiest and most effective...

Cortana is very integrated with Windows Search and fully disabling it will break Search. However, if you would like to keep Search functional, you can just disable the "Cortana-y" parts of Cortana.

To disable Cortana in windows 10

• Press Win + R keyboard accelerator to open Run dialog box.
    • Type GPedit.msc and hit Enter or OK to open Local Group Policy Editor. Navigate to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Search.
    • In the right pane, double click on policy named Allow Cortana.
    • Select the Disabled radio button.
    • Restart the PC and Cortana and Bing Search will be disabled. (May work after signing out and in again)
Policy Description

This policy setting specifies whether Cortana is allowed on the device.

If you enable or don't configure this setting, Cortana will be allowed on the device. If you disable this setting, Cortana will be turned off.

With this set, users will still be able to use search to find things on the device and on the Internet.

There you go, I've managed to play for many hours straight with out the madness of crashing to desktop with no error notification... you can use this approach to then search up the solution of any errors or crashes you are getting in your games or apps. It may still come to that dreaded Windows re-install at some stage but not for now! For now I can happily carry on sinking ships in the Caribbean!
;)
:pirate ship:

This is very interesting.
I have been having this issue with TLOPO too since the last update.
I will be looking into event viewer to see what causes it for me.

I'm a bit concerned about the reinstalling windows part however because my PC came with Win 8.1 installed and didn't get any back up disk for it :/

Thanks for sharing this with us! :)

Don't know about anyone else, but on my Win 10, the event viewer seems almost worthless, cant find anything about logs at the time tlopo crashes.

Don't know about anyone else, but on my Win 10, the event viewer seems almost worthless, cant find anything about logs at the time tlopo crashes.
It gives you what happened at that specific time... you just have to look through the list of errors to find the one that matches your time, this is only if the error is due to your PC operating system... not if it's at the other end.:eek:
:pirate ship:

Not everyone uses Cortana or win 10 ( I do, but I renamed Cortana's file a long long time ago(and yeah you have to do that over after updates) and that is def not my issue)...however, everyone using tlopo that crashes, or has freezing screens has python and panda errors in their game logs. Which everyone needs to continue to send , even though you've sent them before....and please don't mess with things important to the operation of your computers , that could go really bad if you are doing it to fix one game...because it is mostly the game, not your computer probably.

Back