Question Reevaluate Forums' name

• Thread starter Shamus The Brute
  • Start date
S

Shamus The Brute

Since the forums is closely tied now to TLOPO's success (or failure), why not reevaluate the forums name to reflect directly the real correlation? :confused:

It has become clear that topic-of-discussion here revolves around and is dominated by TLOPO? Why deny this fact (in name)? Also, is there a future expected for the existence of this forums beyond it's connection (and 'direct' correlation) with TLOPO that the general public does not know about?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its dominated by TLOPO discussion because TLOPO is the only functioning remake/project of POTCO. I'm sure if history would have been different and there were several successful and non-combative groups (we all know who) leading post-POTCO projects they would be discussed here as well, that is if they didn't feel the need to make their own forums all the time (we also all know who). I've always felt this is the forums for which it says "Pirates" Forums. A place to discuss POTCO, and all related to POTCO. And indeed people do post their threads on other remakes/projects/etc. occasionally.

As far as I can tell is that these forums currently still are and will always remain to serve as its own entity.

That is if Davy doesn't decide to pull the plug on things but I honestly do not think that will happen.

After the close of POTCO and we had no where to go, we still existed. Why? Because this fourms became a focal point where people from the POTCO and POTC community could communicate with one another. We've have had and STILL have other games that are discussed in this forums site.

When the remakes, all of hem, were coming and going, this forums was used as a place to discuss them all. It actually took quite a while before TLOPO became the focal point of this forums.

Yes we are Pirates based. Who knows if we will keep this same name if this community were ever forced to choose which new direction to take. But, I have NO doubt whatsoever, this community will remain regardless of what is/will/could happen with TLOPO. We will evolve if you will, and either move toward focusing on another game, or become just a gaming forum that doesnt support a single game. And, that was a choice before TLOPO... become a Gaming Forum that supports discussions about any and all games.

There is no reason to worry needlessly about the fate of this forum or community. We WILL exist whatever may come.

As far as I can tell is that these forums currently still are and will always remain to serve as its own entity...
For as long as, what? Forever?
...I've always felt this is the forums for which it says "Pirates" Forums. A place to discuss POTCO, and all related to POTCO. And indeed people do post their threads on other remakes/projects/etc. occasionally.
...Yes we are Pirates based. Who knows if we will keep this same name if this community were ever forced to choose which new direction to take....
I appreciate you both emphasizing the word, "Pirates." *It remains within the plural! As such, many of us sustain a connection together online regardless of background (or choice). That is to say, we arrrr all PIRATES and this forums has always treasured this fact. In fact, I would venture to say that there remains no disagreement in that we owe @Davy Darkrage and @Captain Star (and other administrators) our own appreciation for this platform better known as piratesforums. (If I were to be honest, this place - in a way - has been a God send to myself and I am sure that some of the rest of you would agree with myself on this).
Because this forums is publicly named within the plural, I feel it connotates a sense of ownership by all. ;) (I hope I am not incorrect in stating this). Would not you pirate(s) agree? If you do happen to agree, would you also agree that administrators have given us the means to not only to contribute with words but to also strive to assure our own "connectivity" (online together) does not falter? As long as administrators choose to provide this wonderful platform, I do not disagree with this fact. Do any of you?

Therefore, as a "Site Founder" (among many others), I am determined to uphold my end of the responsibility to challenge all points which could threaten this permissible sense of ownership. That make sense? I hope it does for I sense that many of you often feel that I am overstepping/overreaching my bounds. In fact, going on account as pirate only serves well according to the interests served by all - wouldn't everyone reading this thread agree?
...But, I have NO doubt whatsoever, this community will remain regardless of what is/will/could happen with TLOPO. We will evolve if you will, and either move toward focusing on another game, or become just a gaming forum that doesnt support a single game. And, that was a choice before TLOPO... become a Gaming Forum that supports discussions about any and all games.

There is no reason to worry needlessly about the fate of this forum or community. We WILL exist whatever may come.
You and I were here before TLOPO's announcement. If the both of us were honest with ourselves today, as we were back then, we both might agree that this forums was lacking in both activity and new membership. Why? Because a viable recreation of POTCO did not exist (not to dismiss, at all, other prior attempts). As such...I find it incredible difficult to believe that without TLOPO succeeding this forums will not continue down a path of struggle unless some other form of a recreation of POTCO came along to try and attempt what TLOPO has achieved thus far. (In plain English, this forums' fate is closely tied to the success of any POTCO remake? But what if a remake itself is not permitted to continue? What then? What if other remakes are told the same? Do not you pirates see the dilemma? Or, do pirates even care what may occur directly to the fate of this forums)? ;) In truth, the dilemma is only compounded further without contingency or strategic plans of action put in place/decided upon. If those plans and decisions do already exist, nobody is sharing so publicly on the forums.

As one of a number of "Site Founders" here, I ask that this forums pick a stance and then live with it! The naming of this forums should go along with that and remain connected to the very direction is seeks to assure it's very survival. *That is my point and the intent behind the writing of this thread.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, but I think you have this forums and Davy's desires for this forums all wrong.

Yes, we're all here because either 1. we once played POTCO or 2. currently play TLOPO. BUT that is NOT what makes this community LIVE. We live because we have gone beyond POTCO and TLOPO and have become, in a sense, a family. We have friends here. At the very least we have comrades here.

This forums is not just for TLOPO. We discuss all kinds of shows, movies, music, and other games. People here not only play TLOPO together but other games together... and on multiple platforms.

We have already proven to the world that we can exist beyond the death of a game. We continued to discuss movies, shows, music and other games after POTCO's close and for a long while before TLOPO began. Our fate as a community forum is not tied to how TLOPO thrives. I think that it actually goes the other way around. TLOPO's fate is actually tied to how this community on this forums thrives. And yes, I do know that there are many people who play TLOPO that are not members of this forums, but that doesn't matter anyway. This forums is just one outlet for the whole TLOPO community. God, only knows how many people talk about the game on other platforms besides this forums or Discord.

I really think you need to reevaluate this community. What we have gone through because of Disney. What we have gone through because of people threatening the very existence of this community. You need to take a much longer look at how far we have come, how determined that we are to remain, and how far we're planning on going.... Then maybe you'll realize that our name is tying us all together because of our past and our present, but it does not determine our future. That name dose not limit our community into a category of pirate only or Pirates of the Caribbean only games. This community comes from that common ground, that common interest and THAT is why we have that name.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I think you have this forums and Davy's desires for this forums all wrong.

Yes, we're all here because either 1. we once played POTCO or 2. currently play TLOPO. BUT that is NOT what makes this community LIVE. We live because we have gone beyond POTCO and TLOPO and have become, in a sense, a family. We have friends here. At the very least we have comrades here.

This forums is not just for TLOPO. We discuss all kinds of shows, movies, music, and other games. People here not only play TLOPO together but other games together... and on multiple platforms.

We have already proven to the world that we can exist beyond the death of a game. We continued to discuss movies, shows, music and other games after POTCO's close and for a long while before TLOPO began. Our fate as a community forum is not tied to how TLOPO thrives. I think that it actually goes the other way around. TLOPO's fate is actually tied to how this community on this forums thrives. And yes, I do know that there are many people who play TLOPO that are not members of this forums, but that doesn't matter anyway. This forums is just one outlet for the whole TLOPO community. God, only knows how many people talk about the game on other platforms besides this forums or Discord.

I really think you need to reevaluate this community. What we have gone through because of Disney. What we have gone through because of people threatening the very existence of this community. You need to take a much longer look at how far we have come, how determined that we are to remain, and how far we're planning on going.... Then maybe you'll realize that our name is tying us all together because of our past and our present, but it does not determine our future. That name dose not limit our community into a category of pirate only or Pirates of the Caribbean only games. This community comes from that common ground, that common interest and THAT is why we have that name.
You seem to know all about me, and what I stand for? How wrong you are...to assume and to make such an assumption.

I have thought about, and done more than you know.
Thank you. Appreciate the talk.

As one of a number of "Site Founders" here, I ask that this forums pick a stance and then live with it! The naming of this forums should go along with that and remain connected to the very direction is seeks to assure it's very survival. *That is my point and the intent behind the writing of this thread.
I know this will probably be met with some controversy, but in my mind, the "Site Founder" title is purely honorary. Past staff members and some of the very first members have this title. I can name a handful of such people that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them. So in my mind its a useless title.

It seems the forums has picked a stance. TLOPO it's focus, but also welcoming discussion on anything POTCO, or POTC related. As such it is called "Pirates" Forums.

Your argument on the survival is also not that great. This forum has existed since the days of POTCO and is POTCO related and therefore many search results for POTCO may lead someone here or someone may remember it from the POTCO days and be curious. This would lead someone to TLOPO. Changing it's name and branding could confuse people and potentially lead to search results being changed.

Last edited:
Well, this is an interesting notion. I can see that these forums have become about tlopo. Is that the way it should be? I kinda like the way it is but at the same time I feel strongly that they should remain independent in management and open to non-tlopo pirate subjects. I feel that they have become a little too tlopo focused but I see that as fairly natural, probably it would be more healthy to have a wider focus. I'm definitely against a name change based on just the current focus being tlopo.

I know this will probably be met with some controversy, but in my mind, the "Site Founder" title is purely honorary. Past staff members and some of the very first members have this title. I can name a handful of such people that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them. So in my mind its a useless title.

It seems the forums has picked a stance. TLOPO it's focus, but also welcoming discussion on anything POTCO, or POTC related. As such it is called "Pirates" Forums.

Your argument on the survival is also not that great. This forum has existed since the days of POTCO and is POTCO related and therefore many search results for POTCO may lead someone here or someone may remember it from the POTCO days and be curious. This would lead someone to TLOPO. Changing it's name and branding could confuse people and potentially lead to search results being changed.
This forum has existed since the days of POTCO and is POTCO related and therefore many search results for POTCO may lead someone here or someone may remember it from the POTCO days and be curious. This would lead someone to TLOPO. Changing it's name and branding could confuse people and potentially lead to search results being changed.

Based on a purely non emotional, non community view and internet functionality, that is an excellent point of contention.

Well, this is an interesting notion. I can see that these forums have become about tlopo. Is that the way it should be? I kinda like the way it is but at the same time I feel strongly that they should remain independent in management and open to non-tlopo pirate subjects. I feel that they have become a little too tlopo focused but I see that as fairly natural, probably it would be more healthy to have a wider focus. I'm definitely against a name change based on just the current focus being tlopo.
I would agree, but it is owned by tlopo parties. But, the forums have at least 17 other headings under the 'Tavern' and 'Other games' with plenty of sub threads of diversity in them. I don't believe that openiness of other topics apart from tlopo is a problem here. The OP to me feels as if he fears a loss of identity in some way or that the forums should be split off from itself, I'm not sure what the full point is yet of this thread, but it appears to me that the forums are operating in a normal fair public manner.

Yes, like all forums, it has it's drama here and there. And yes, there's some good old boy/girl stuff here too. But that isn't unique as it occurs on even the most sofisticated forum sites no matter how hands off their admin say they are. And some topics are taboo but that again can be seen in all types of forums across the internet. It's very nice that there's one place to go to get information about the game, the forum itself and to be able to communicate with all levels of this structure. And links to the past and wiki are of great value. All in one place is exceptional and not easy to do.

Last edited:
As a matter of personal preference, I like the forums "as is." This is not to say that I am against the fact of TLOPO being represented by it's own forums.

This thread's intent was to point out the fact that TLOPO has become a dominate entity to most forums member's interest. I should know this...I visit the forums almost daily (and remain quite capable of judging the community's interests and direction contrary to what @Kate Goldwalker claims about me). Does this mean it is wrong for the question itself to be asked? A lot of change occurs in life and this is not to say that the forums we knew from yesterday remains the same forums we enjoy today. To overly question such motive, by injecting another's perceived lack of understanding into the equation, throws the whole thread off-topic and straddles the fence of personal bias shown - which is against this forums policy and rules.

I appreciate the opinions shared here and the points (on-topic) which were actually discussed!

The only merit that I see to a name change currently would be a proactive change to prevent the prime from getting capsized with TLOPO by Disney in the absolute worst case scenario. In this scenario I'm sure that changes would be able to be made to the forums to avoid such action being taken against us. (if that's even a fear I'm not well versed in the law so this might be pointless to worry about) in that scenario I would much rather us have this discussion and come to the decision organically than have Disney force it on us.

Right now I think the forums have yet to hit a point in their evolution where a name change is nessecarily a good option. First the forums were formed around the community of POTCO and have stuck together with memories, friendships as well as the hope of a reopening (which has presented itself as TlOPO ). Now that we have that new beginning for POTCO and even the growth of other smaller gaming communities popping up inside theforums during the absence of POTCO still being in the backseat during this age of TLOPO it still looks like the forums name is doing a great job of staying in line with the path we currently seem to be on.

Now one day once TLOPO passes if the forums survives the death of it's inspiration a second time and continues to grow, it might be something to be more seriously considered especially with other games that cause growth within the forums

TLDR - I think the name of the forums doesn't need to be changed currently for anything short of litigation, we aren't evolved enough yet as a community to change that drastically

The way I see it, this website is a gathering place for all the remaining fans of POTCO who wish to preserve what's left (our shared memories, interests, whatever) and have a place to be kept in the loop of news regarding recreations of the game. I started over at Pirates of the High Seas, and then I migrated over to Pirates Online Remade (I think that was what it was called; it's been so long) and a handful of other forums of past recreation attempts, and eventually I found myself here - the one stable website where I can associate with others who share my interests in POTCO and pirates in general (well, at least the more romanticized picture of pirates and not the more appalling real life history anyways). TLOPO ended up being the successful remake, and since a remake of our beloved game is the thing for which many of us have been hoping for several years, it's only natural that it would dominate much of the discussion on this site. But, if TLOPO somehow happens to get scrapped within the next few years, many of us will still want to remain here and continue to develop the online relationships that we have been forging together since the days of POTCO and share with each other the things we have in common. And we will probably continue to hold out for someone else to take another stab at recreating the game, because at the end of the day, all we want is a community of POTCO lovers and a recreated version of the game for us to enjoy together.

And in that respect, I also feel that TLOPO is anything but a failure. I never suspected that it would reach the same heights as the original game, nor did I care; those who moved on from it six and a half years ago have, well, moved on from it. It's the ones who are still here (all of us) who will give TLOPO the time of day, and frankly, as long as we have it, who cares what the rest of the internet wants?

So, while TLOPO may currently be a primary point of discussion here, it isn't the sole reason for the forums' existence per se. "Pirates Forums," from my point of view anyways, denotes a community of people who love the romanticized, fantasy interpretations of the seafaring pirates of the Age of Sail and who love POTCO (and all of the game's deviations/recreations). I don't see why we'd need to change the name. If TLOPO ultimately does shut down, those of us who still want to be here will be here, likely waiting for another recreation to rear its head and, in the meantime, continuing to share our love of pirates and POTCO.

The way I see it, this website is a gathering place for all the remaining fans of POTCO who wish to preserve what's left (our shared memories, interests, whatever) and have a place to be kept in the loop of news regarding recreations of the game. I started over at Pirates of the High Seas, and then I migrated over to Pirates Online Remade (I think that was what it was called; it's been so long) and a handful of other forums of past recreation attempts, and eventually I found myself here - the one stable website where I can associate with others who share my interests in POTCO and pirates in general (well, at least the more romanticized picture of pirates and not the more appalling real life history anyways). TLOPO ended up being the successful remake, and since a remake of our beloved game is the thing for which many of us have been hoping for several years, it's only natural that it would dominate much of the discussion on this site. But, if TLOPO somehow happens to get scrapped within the next few years, many of us will still want to remain here and continue to develop the online relationships that we have been forging together since the days of POTCO and share with each other the things we have in common. And we will probably continue to hold out for someone else to take another stab at recreating the game, because at the end of the day, all we want is a community of POTCO lovers and a recreated version of the game for us to enjoy together.

And in that respect, I also feel that TLOPO is anything but a failure. I never suspected that it would reach the same heights as the original game, nor did I care; those who moved on from it six and a half years ago have, well, moved on from it. It's the ones who are still here (all of us) who will give TLOPO the time of day, and frankly, as long as we have it, who cares what the rest of the internet wants?

So, while TLOPO may currently be a primary point of discussion here, it isn't the sole reason for the forums' existence per se. "Pirates Forums," from my point of view anyways, denotes a community of people who love the romanticized, fantasy interpretations of the seafaring pirates of the Age of Sail and who love POTCO (and all of the game's deviations/recreations). I don't see why we'd need to change the name. If TLOPO ultimately does shut down, those of us who still want to be here will be here, likely waiting for another recreation to rear its head and, in the meantime, continuing to share our love of pirates and POTCO.
As I recall, one of the reasons which provoked myself to write this thread was the fact that sometimes...I do not see ;) enough (visually) as to this forums growing in other ways besides the obvious TLOPO connection. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining (nor am I dismissing 'outright' other writings put into non-TLOPO areas of this forums). I am simply stating that from the perspective of someone whom has been here close to almost a decade now, I do see a difference. As such, I think it serves well to remind forums members that our responsibility to remain connected with one another goes far beyond any particular one area or pursuit. With that stated, I kinda see the apparent danger of ourselves - as forums members - putting all of our eggs into 1 basket.

Because this forums provides a place for every one to write and to contribute a varying of interests, I feel as such a certain level of troll-Ness needs to be controlled with whatever a particular forums member chooses to write/to share. This point I would like to stress (given it 'is not always' in the best interests of members to continually feel obligated to report trolls in lieu of such attempts being completely erased out of the public's eye).

Anyway, a hope I too am trying to convey is that we need to encourage each other to step-up to talk/to write about other facets we remain interested in besides one particular thing which can actually dominate our own contribution here, subconsciously. Hence, I do hope everyone understands my own effort towards the OP question posed initially to this thread.

As I recall, one of the reasons which provoked myself to write this thread was the fact that sometimes...I do not see ;) enough (visually) as to this forums growing in other ways besides the obvious TLOPO connection. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining (nor am I dismissing 'outright' other writings put into non-TLOPO areas of this forums). I am simply stating that from the perspective of someone whom has been here close to almost a decade now, I do see a difference. As such, I think it serves well to remind forums members that our responsibility to remain connected with one another goes far beyond any particular one area or pursuit. With that stated, I kinda see the apparent danger of ourselves - as forums members - putting all of our eggs into 1 basket.

Because this forums provides a place for every one to write and to contribute a varying of interests, I feel as such a certain level of troll-Ness needs to be controlled with whatever a particular forums member chooses to write/to share. This point I would like to stress (given it 'is not always' in the best interests of members to continually feel obligated to report trolls in lieu of such attempts being completely erased out of the public's eye).

Anyway, a hope I too am trying to convey is that we need to encourage each other to step-up to talk/to write about other facets we remain interested in besides one particular thing which can actually dominate our own contribution here, subconsciously. Hence, I do hope everyone understands my own effort towards the OP question posed initially to this thread.
Okay, I can certainly see that now. The original post was a little less clear. Your point (eggs in one basket) is totally fair in my eyes :)

Back