Reevaluate THREAD LOCK

S

Shamus The Brute

A thread writer has always had the power to request their thread being locked on this forums. However, TLOPO related discussion dominates now at a mark I see likely being 90-95% (with other topics-of-discussion making up a very slim minority). Hence, I feel it is time for the forums staff/administrators to reevaluate the locking "power" a thread writer does have pertinent to a thread's discussion...

...ESPECIALLY THREADS PRESENTED by TLOPO devs or REPRESENTATIVES. The reason? Some threads ask for the community's direct feedback and/or input and such threads should be evaluated closely prior to a premature thread lock! The reason? Not all community feedback is sufficiently gained (over the short-term) which creates an untrue representation of the feedback TLOPO asks.

Thank you. ;)

On a different note, it seems people only hear what they want to hear...

On a different note, I did have vapor lock on my engine once, and somehow it seems the same as the above comment, in the grand scheme of things.

As contentious as that thread was, we were probably liable to lock it sooner or later, at least temporarily, even if the TLOPO team didn't request it. And as noted above, the lock is already going to be reevaluated once people have a chance to cool down a bit.
I'm not sure how else you can explain the topic of a thread when folks just read what they want and then blurt out things without reading the OP when they've gone pages into the topic. It's human nature, and I think a thread should remain open, but admin should just remove attacks and things as they go along. Yes, it's more work for the staff, but the the trade idea thread never really got too much print because of people coming in late or misinterpreting the OP topic post.

Perhaps put more secret mods on duty when such a topic gets put out there. Like I said, I would be surprised if the thread reopened, but not too surprised as I'd like to see it opened. For one thing, moderation needs to be done by higher ups, not people involved personally in the debate. And certainly not guild mates who are also mods.
Good luck. I think the thread can work.

This OP thread request does not concern itself just with the thread everyone keeps referring back to but also future forums threads where a TLOPO representative presents a public writing. Also, this request calls for the resolution of the determination of a TLOPO dev/representative thread to be locked by forums staff alone not having to include "outside" opinions of how others feel about it, including the OP writer (whom is developing or representing TLOPO).

Assuring a TLOPO dev/representative thread has a minimum number of days to remain open prior to being locked permits fairness on a level true to what this remake needs, since so many various opinions exist as to how certain aspects shall move forward. This minimum # of days rule shouldn't be that difficult to implement on the forums given the staff here is impeccable and has increased 10 fold (perhaps a slight exaggeration) since days of old. Also, a minimum # of days rule serves better TLOPO's stance within the community where, at times asked, input and/or feedback is sought.

I'm not really in tune with much that goes on here but I have always been under the impression the partnership with TLOPO and these forums was a partnership and not a ceding of some authority. That the independence of this site still remained. I can not help hut feel there have been times that the site's independence seems to be slowly chipped away and signed away.

Regardless, I don't think it is so wrong or difficult to implement a timeline for releasing contentious threads from their locks (that I hope independent forum staff determined are necessary) especially if it is on something relevant to the community such as feedback on TLOPO. If it were something more off topic and contentious like politics, I could understand a more eternal permanent lock (Used as an example as I'm fairly certain political discussion is basically prohibited if not officially then unofficially).

Ultimately, it's up to the TLOPO team to take any feedback into consideration. To that extent, whether or not they can lock their threads by request is mostly arbitrary. Imposing a restriction there would be purely symbolic, as the status of a thread is not truly a proxy for whether or not its discussion must be accounted for.

To be clear, I'm sure people have plenty more to say about the particular topic at hand, and I do think TLOPO is interested in hearing it. I'm just not sure a policy change would really have a meaningful impact. People are still free to share their thoughts and opinions on the matter (civilly), as shown by the rise and revival of several other threads in the wake of the lock.

Ultimately, it's up to the TLOPO team to take any feedback into consideration...

...To be clear, I'm sure people have plenty more to say about the particular topic at hand, and I do think TLOPO is interested in hearing it. I'm just not sure a policy change would really have a meaningful impact. People are still free to share their thoughts and opinions on the matter (civilly), as shown by the rise and revival of several other threads in the wake of the lock.
I appreciate your input. What I hope people take away from what you say above are the first and last sentences. Here's why - in my opinion:
  1. Any remake of POTCO cannot stand alone on it's own. It needs players and player insights
  2. In general, people value freedom of expression. Human nature, such as it is, requires a need to be heard (and an opinion to be given) at that juncture in time a thought itself occurs/an opinion is "FELT!" If processes alone are not careful to let this occur, feelings of resentment and distrust may result regardless of the freedom to comment upon the issue at hand at a later point in time. In essence, the "damage" has already occurred
  3. Disney has not/probably never will lock down TLOPO's freedom of expression to remake POTCO. Therefore, we need to be open to follow that example when it comes to the expression of "our own"
  4. Pirates hate to be JAILED! ;) As powerful as any Legendary weapon is, a pirate's mouth (through writings) is just as powerful and applicable to this forums and TLOPO remake...if said trap is careful to follow the rules

Back