1. Hey, Guest! Tune into the 9th Developer Stream this Saturday, April 29, at 8PM EDT! Read more...

Announcement Regarding Alpha Closure/Beta Release Date

Discussion in 'TLOPO News and Updates' started by Mike Wass, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Mike Wass

Mike Wass Former TLOPO Developer

Hey everyone!

I've seen a little bit of confusion in some of the threads on the forums and wanted to clear that up here in one blog post.

First off, as you may know The Legend of Pirates Online will be closing down Alpha on September 19th, 2016. But what exactly does that mean? -- Ever since TLOPO started, we haven't been in a full release. Rather, we've been in a testing stage known as "Alpha." This means that the game was early in development and the core parts of it were still being created. We've finally got the major core components of the game to a point where we're comfortable releasing them, which is a vastly greater amount of content. Considering all the new features, we're going to be moving the game into the "Beta" stage.

First off, what's different? Beta will be containing everything Alpha has, along with land/sea enemies, questing, and much more (we don't want to spoil all of the opening surprises yet). Due to the drastic changes we have made, we need to start out with a fresh slate. All Pirates on Alpha are going to get wiped, Beta will be starting off with a fresh slate (and are permanent). To clarify, accounts are not going to get wiped -- pirates are.

When you log into Beta for the first time, you will login with the same username and password as Alpha. All Alpha keys that have been redeemed will be able to be used as a Beta key.

Lastly, September 19th is NOT the release date of Beta. September 19th is the date that TLOPO is going to be closing down Alpha and begin the server-sided preparations for Beta. We don't want to be down for too long, and promise that the time in-between Alpha-Beta is kept at a minimum. But don't worry, we're going to be updating the blog regularly to keep you all engaged with all sorts of goodies. Stay tuned for those!

I hope this thread has cleared up some of the confusion, we're going to be making a FAQ very soon which'll help clear up some more questions you might have! I'll add the FAQ's link to this post when it's available!

Michael

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  2. William Firesword

William Firesword Honorable Pirate

Mike, you're such a boss. :fo:

3. Elzabeth Red Fire

Elzabeth Red Fire Buccaneer

So if we have an Alpha Key, we automatically have a Beta Key is what I understand? If I'm wrong can someone clarify?

4. Golden Coast

Golden Coast Buccaneer

Good luck on your Beta stage.

5. John Foulroberts

Admin

This is correct. Alpha keys become beta keys!

6. Elzabeth Red Fire

Elzabeth Red Fire Buccaneer

Thanks for clearing that up for me, John!

7. Benjamin Calicovane

Benjamin Calicovane Notorious Pirate

Honestly, if I were you guys, I would take however long you need for the transition, whether it be a few days or a few weeks. I wouldn't want to rush it and possibly have some errors that could cause problems when beta does come out.

8. Ember Heartless

Ember Heartless Wanted Pirate

So just a few more questions if you don't mind too much, sir? We will have to recreate our pirate names and characters? Does that mean that someone else can sign on and use my pirate name??? The only one I've been since the start of POTCO and TLOPO? Also, will there be more keys given out, and maybe an easier way to get them other than by chance of signing on and magically getting a chance to get a key? Also, this won't affect our forum pirate names? Figured it wouldn't, but just wanted to clarify. Thanks for all you and the team do. And thanks for answering questions that I'm sure are going to get flung at you in every direction.

9. Captain Redhorn

Lead Mod

You will have to recreate your characters, you will not have to recreate your account. Not sure if more keys will be given out. Your forum name will also be unaffected.

Hope this helps :)

10. Flamingo

Flamingo Wanted Pirate

Well said..thank you!

11. Ember Heartless

Ember Heartless Wanted Pirate

Thank you!!

12. IanH

IanH Pirate Apprentice

So no more character wipes after the one coming on the 19th?

Beta hype!

MercilessCaleb likes this.
  13. Dreadful

Dreadful Wanted Pirate

Do you guys know the general timetable for beta release? Like will it be days or weeks from September 19th?

14. Benjamin Calicovane

Benjamin Calicovane Notorious Pirate

Nope, but the post did say they will try to make the change between alpha and beta as quickly as they can.

15. Dreadful

Dreadful Wanted Pirate

Well, I know but I'm sure they have an idea as to whether the beta preparations will take 3-4 days or 4-5 weeks/longer.

16. Captain Redhorn

Lead Mod

Toontown Rewritten closed their alpha on 4/21/2014, and opened beta on 5/17/2014, so the game was closed for 26 days. The TLOPO team has tried to do things similar to TTR, so I would guess a similar length of time. Hopefully 1-2 months :)

TTR Alpha Closing link
    TTR Beta Opening link

17. Dreadful

Dreadful Wanted Pirate

1-2 months?? That sucks. Glad beta is coming, but that's a really unexpected twist.

18. Captain Redhorn

Lead Mod

I would hope 2 months would be the longest. I know they will be posting blog posts to keep everyone interested, and I hope we can have events like developer q&a or some contests for people to have a little starting gold in beta. We'll have to see :)

19. Cheysa Finn

Wiki Staff

We all hope that it won't be that long. I can't wait for Beta either.

Think of the downtime this way - all the developers will be doing is getting Beta ready. Prior to now, they've had to split their attention between Alpha bugs, unreleased features, launcher updates, etc. Now they will be able to fully concentrate on just perfecting those features that they intend to add to Beta with little distraction since the game is down.

No time will be wasted - Beta will come as soon as it's ready. :)

20. SirClark

SirClark Sea Legs

So when Beta first releases will there be the same amount of play times or will it be limited or even closed to just those with keys?