Announcement Regarding Alpha Closure/Beta Release Date

Mike Wass

Former TLOPO Developer
Hey everyone!

I've seen a little bit of confusion in some of the threads on the forums and wanted to clear that up here in one blog post.

First off, as you may know The Legend of Pirates Online will be closing down Alpha on September 19th, 2016. But what exactly does that mean? -- Ever since TLOPO started, we haven't been in a full release. Rather, we've been in a testing stage known as "Alpha." This means that the game was early in development and the core parts of it were still being created. We've finally got the major core components of the game to a point where we're comfortable releasing them, which is a vastly greater amount of content. Considering all the new features, we're going to be moving the game into the "Beta" stage.

First off, what's different? Beta will be containing everything Alpha has, along with land/sea enemies, questing, and much more (we don't want to spoil all of the opening surprises yet). Due to the drastic changes we have made, we need to start out with a fresh slate. All Pirates on Alpha are going to get wiped, Beta will be starting off with a fresh slate (and are permanent). To clarify, accounts are not going to get wiped -- pirates are.

When you log into Beta for the first time, you will login with the same username and password as Alpha. All Alpha keys that have been redeemed will be able to be used as a Beta key.

Lastly, September 19th is NOT the release date of Beta. September 19th is the date that TLOPO is going to be closing down Alpha and begin the server-sided preparations for Beta. We don't want to be down for too long, and promise that the time in-between Alpha-Beta is kept at a minimum. But don't worry, we're going to be updating the blog regularly to keep you all engaged with all sorts of goodies. Stay tuned for those!

I hope this thread has cleared up some of the confusion, we're going to be making a FAQ very soon which'll help clear up some more questions you might have! I'll add the FAQ's link to this post when it's available!

Michael

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

I've seen a little bit of confusion in some of the threads on the forums and wanted to clear that up here in one blog post.

First off, as you may know The Legend of Pirates Online will be closing down Alpha on September 19th, 2016. But what exactly does that mean? -- Ever since TLOPO started, we haven't been in a full release. Rather, we've been in a testing stage known as "Alpha." This means that the game was early in development and the core parts of it were still being created. We've finally got the major core components of the game to a point where we're comfortable releasing them, which is a vastly greater amount of content. Considering all the new features, we're going to be moving the game into the "Beta" stage.

First off, what's different? Beta will be containing everything Alpha has, along with land/sea enemies, questing, and much more (we don't want to spoil all of the opening surprises yet). Due to the drastic changes we have made, we need to start out with a fresh slate. All Pirates on Alpha are going to get wiped, Beta will be starting off with a fresh slate (and are permanent). To clarify, accounts are not going to get wiped -- pirates are.

When you log into Beta for the first time, you will login with the same username and password as Alpha. All Alpha keys that have been redeemed will be able to be used as a Beta key.

Lastly, September 19th is NOT the release date of Beta. September 19th is the date that TLOPO is going to be closing down Alpha and begin the server-sided preparations for Beta. We don't want to be down for too long, and promise that the time in-between Alpha-Beta is kept at a minimum. But don't worry, we're going to be updating the blog regularly to keep you all engaged with all sorts of goodies. Stay tuned for those!

I hope this thread has cleared up some of the confusion, we're going to be making a FAQ very soon which'll help clear up some more questions you might have! I'll add the FAQ's link to this post when it's available!

Michael
So just a few more questions if you don't mind too much, sir? We will have to recreate our pirate names and characters? Does that mean that someone else can sign on and use my pirate name??? The only one I've been since the start of POTCO and TLOPO? Also, will there be more keys given out, and maybe an easier way to get them other than by chance of signing on and magically getting a chance to get a key? Also, this won't affect our forum pirate names? Figured it wouldn't, but just wanted to clarify. Thanks for all you and the team do. And thanks for answering questions that I'm sure are going to get flung at you in every direction.

So just a few more questions if you don't mind too much, sir? We will have to recreate our pirate names and characters? Does that mean that someone else can sign on and use my pirate name??? The only one I've been since the start of POTCO and TLOPO? Also, will there be more keys given out, and maybe an easier way to get them other than by chance of signing on and magically getting a chance to get a key? Also, this won't affect our forum pirate names? Figured it wouldn't, but just wanted to clarify. Thanks for all you and the team do. And thanks for answering questions that I'm sure are going to get flung at you in every direction.
You will have to recreate your characters, you will not have to recreate your account. Not sure if more keys will be given out. Your forum name will also be unaffected.

Hope this helps :)

Hey everyone!

Michael
Well said..thank you!

Well, I know but I'm sure they have an idea as to whether the beta preparations will take 3-4 days or 4-5 weeks/longer.
Toontown Rewritten closed their alpha on 4/21/2014, and opened beta on 5/17/2014, so the game was closed for 26 days. The TLOPO team has tried to do things similar to TTR, so I would guess a similar length of time. Hopefully 1-2 months :)

TTR Alpha Closing link
TTR Beta Opening link

1-2 months?? That sucks. Glad beta is coming, but that's a really unexpected twist.
I would hope 2 months would be the longest. I know they will be posting blog posts to keep everyone interested, and I hope we can have events like developer q&a or some contests for people to have a little starting gold in beta. We'll have to see :)

1-2 months?? That sucks. Glad beta is coming, but that's a really unexpected twist.
We all hope that it won't be that long. I can't wait for Beta either.

Think of the downtime this way - all the developers will be doing is getting Beta ready. Prior to now, they've had to split their attention between Alpha bugs, unreleased features, launcher updates, etc. Now they will be able to fully concentrate on just perfecting those features that they intend to add to Beta with little distraction since the game is down.

No time will be wasted - Beta will come as soon as it's ready. :)

Back