Registration/unregistration

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HartOnFire

On most other sites you have the ability to unregistrate if you for some reason dont wanna be a member anymore.

I dont know about the laws of your countries, but i know this is something my country is very strict about in law of data registration on the internet.

Well just wanted to know if you have that on your list to work on.

At the moment i think the only way to get rid of your account is to message a moderator or maybe it is just Davy and Treasure and they can delete your profile i'm sure its on the list of things to do... but who would ever want to leave!!!

I think in country most people just opt to not go to the site any more and they kind of fade away. The laws in America cover mostly contact as in you can opt out of being contacted for any reason in the form of emails, phone or info sharing. A lot of people kind of stop going to sites sometimes for a year or more and then decide to become active again... its kind of nice when they open up to the data they had before. I know Disney for instance said that they literally plan on keeping all information on players "FOREVER" as I asked them about this when I got a new card so my payment didn't go through.

On most other sites you have the ability to unregistrate if you for some reason dont wanna be a member anymore.
Sites will vary in their policy as the the nature of the site in question. Many sites will keep the Users IP information in their database indefinately. I cannot speak for these forums, but I administer a rather large forum site and I'm familiar with most standard forum registration policy in the U.S. Most forum sites have in their terms of service TOS that any content posted on their site becomes the property of the site, with the exception of previously copywritten material. Accounts can be closed upon request but any posts that user made on the site generally remain. This is done to insure that the continuity of the treads remains intact. For example suppose a member had made Hundreds of posts in dozens of threads and then suddenly decided that they wanted to close their account and leave the site. Removing all those posts would leave huge gaps in the conversations in those threads in question. Hense when a members account is closed or a member is banned their posts remain unless those posts were of an objectionable nature and were either deleted by moderaters or locked away in a hidden forum out of sight of the regular membership. Most people when they decide to leave a forum simply quit posting there or visiting the site no need to close their accounts.

Sites will vary in their policy as the the nature of the site in question. Many sites will keep the Users IP information in their database indefinately. I cannot speak for these forums, but I administer a rather large forum site and I'm familiar with most standard forum registration policy in the U.S. Most forum sites have in their terms of service TOS that any content posted on their site becomes the property of the site, with the exception of previously copywritten material. Accounts can be closed upon request but any posts that user made on the site generally remain. This is done to insure that the continuity of the treads remains intact. For example suppose a member had made Hundreds of posts in dozens of threads and then suddenly decided that they wanted to close their account and leave the site. Removing all those posts would leave huge gaps in the conversations in those threads in question. Hense when a members account is closed or a member is banned their posts remain unless those posts were of an objectionable nature and were either deleted by moderaters or locked away in a hidden forum out of sight of the regular membership. Most people when they decide to leave a forum simply quit posting there or visiting the site no need to close their accounts.

Ok. I dont know if i didn't make my self clear. I mean you should be able to delete your account in here name and photo, personal letters and whatever that is not shared in public.

Of cause not deleting your post in the threads but as the name nolonger excist could the post be signed by unknown or member nolonger exist.

The account name that you registered with would remain, and would still show in your posts, but you can remove your avatar photo. You can also delete all your private messages and clear any personal info in your profile.

Well maybe its just me, but i kinda like to know the door is open, without asking for permission to leave first. What if you guys say NO then im trapped? (jk)

The account name that you registered with would remain, and would still show in your posts, but you can remove your avatar photo. You can also delete all your private messages and clear any personal info in your profile.

I get your point, thats an idea!

And no im not leaving you guys are stuck with me for awhile :p

Well i wouldn't know bc i dont drink! If i do bad stuff happen! I almost got married last time someone filled me with champagne.

well just so you will know, red nations. flap jack has had all the rum for as long as i've been in spania. ps. he has all the wenches too! best make friends with him, he dose share. lol:cool:

I dont know about the laws of your countries, but i know this is something my country is very strict about in law of data registration on the internet.

Well just wanted to know if you have that on your list to work on.
The country I am in, and the country this site is hosted on is not as strict.. though I understand some are. Anyone is welcome to PC Treasurer or me, or use the "Contact Us" form at the bottom of every page to request their account be removed. This process won't be automated in the foreseeable future. We may offer an option to disable your account automatically but it wouldn't be permanently deleted.

When someone requests removal, we must receive e-mail confirmation from the user, there is a few day grace period before final deletion, and all posts and threads will remain intact. It will display your old name alongside the content, though we can change that upon request.

It certainly would be polite to have a "remove all my content and account" button. (No, not planning to use any such thing, myself.) Everyone tends to quote from threads they respond to directly, so I don't see a huge loss of continuity. Especially not for older threads. If someone wants to make drama by leaving, usher them out fast! Only harmful (to these forums) when drawn out.

It certainly would be polite to have a "remove all my content and account" button. (No, not planning to use any such thing, myself.) Everyone tends to quote from threads they respond to directly, so I don't see a huge loss of continuity. Especially not for older threads. If someone wants to make drama by leaving, usher them out fast! Only harmful (to these forums) when drawn out.
Any automated means we implement would certainly not remove any content, and it's doubtful it would permanently delete the account. Removing all of someone's threads also means removing anyone else's posts within them, which is something I'd rather not happen, and also opens up potential abuse.

We comply with laws by offering manual delayed removal, which should serve well enough as far as I can see. If at some point we get flooded with removal requests, I would reconsider, but it is my hope that will never be the case.

If someone wants to make drama by leaving, usher them out fast! Only harmful (to these forums) when drawn out.
Its been my observation that when people leave a forum site they just leave and don't return. The ones who post those "I'm Leaving The Forum Forever threads" never really leave. I've seen a few members over the years throw a tantrum on site and ask that their accounts be deleted. Always closed the account but all content remained.

Its been my observation that when people leave a forum site they just leave and don't return. The ones who post those "I'm Leaving The Forum Forever threads" never really leave. I've seen a few members over the years throw a tantrum on site and ask that their accounts be deleted. Always closed the account but all content remained.

I think if you removed the content it could really make a mess of things. For most users if they just stop posting they kind of fade away in the background after a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back