Request on Enemy Ship Speeds

johnnified

Swashbuckler
I know for making things challenging (balancing) that you sped up the enemy ships. Sadly you did it TOO fast. Slow them back down by at least 2 knots? I have been able to get used to it, but it is really painful when you broadside right when they detect you and because they are equal to the speed of a war sloop with upgraded sails it misses (so it feels like).

Probably will get replies with different opinions. I can deal with the way it is now, helped me find new ways to sink 6 ships at once, but it can be frustrating at times.

Last edited:
I do agree, the ships are too fast. Sure its more challenging than on POTCO, which is great, but I can't get to shoot properly. Most times I miss when other ships I am on turns to circle around them. Waste of good ammo :)

Agreed! There is no reason whatsoever why a war galleon when attacked should instantly start moving at 12 knots, a speed rarely seen among galleons, enemy or friendly. The instantaneous full sail speeds exhibited by enemy ships is quite annoying, allowing for entire broadsides to be missed when such should never be the case.

Agreed! There is no reason whatsoever why a war galleon when attacked should instantly start moving at 12 knots, a speed rarely seen among galleons, enemy or friendly. The instantaneous full sail speeds exhibited by enemy ships is quite annoying, allowing for entire broadsides to be missed when such should never be the case.

That is exactly how I feel. They should be bringing back POTCO, then mess with things a bit later once other unstable issues are fixed.

They have done an amazing job so far.

I agree as well. In POTCO, the normal NPC ships were really slow, but in TLOPO the ship I feel are as you said a couple of knots too fast. I don't think they need to be turtles like in POTCO (though I want POTCO recreated as accurately as possible) but reducing their speed by about 2 or 3 knots or so will help make them somewhat fast but letting the player ships stay just ahead of them.

...Honestly I think sailing is still too easy.

All enemy ships could move at the speed of hunters and it still wouldn't be good enough. They need smarter AI.

In Potco the ships would Match the speed of what they are , Now a Galleon out runs a War Sloop . I'm guessing they do what 14 - 16 knots ?
Along with the Sloops and Galleons shooting with the New front Cannons ! lol ................................... :jar:

...Honestly I think sailing is still too easy.

All enemy ships could move at the speed of hunters and it still wouldn't be good enough. They need smarter AI.
Sailing has always been easy lol. Increasing speed will won't do anything but frustrate people with Broadsides that hit the water or fail to properly detect the ship is actually there.

Yes, I agree with smart AI, but I am willing to wait for that till they finish the recreation completely and get rid of most (or half of) bugs.

Just decrease it by 2 knots. All I am asking. Everything else can come later in terms of smart AI for them. Just 2 knots because the speed now doesn't do anything but add frustration for cannoneers.

Last edited:
Back