Reverting some filters

Darkslinger

Notorious Pirate
The chat filter is a bit flawed - it always finds a way to creep into in a lot of my conversations.

Also, the fact that the people behind chat filters put this much effort into finding very weird and unlikely offensive or rude phrases is just a bit unsettling.

Two examples:
"Don't remember her but ..."
"Makes it hard to play ..."

I can't include more examples since they occurred to me previously and are lost now. But now I'm going to document them whenever I can.

The chat filter is over the top. It prevents you from conveying what you mean properly and is a slight inconvenience.

What I'm asking for isn't open chat or allowing us to say non-acceptable words and phrases. Remove some of the more acceptable things to say and let us freely converse without the added effort of rectifying every "arrrrrrr garrrr yarr" by evading the filter and typing the words in separately or finding an alternative way to type them.

Do you agree and/or have any examples of harmless word combos that you found yourself unable to say? If so, post them below.

Another note -
This isn't a point I'm trying to make to revert the chat filters, but a genuine concern. The words or phrases highlighted in red may potentially bring unwanted attention towards them and indirectly explain their meaning to younger audiences.

Do you agree and/or have any examples of harmless word combos that you found yourself unable to say? If so, post them below.
I do agree.

"Come on my ship" also gets censored.
CfYS4lWUkAA04ql.png

These words are filtered because they have become a problem in the game. I know it may be frustrating but you can simply rephrase what you're trying to say. Instead of saying "come on my ship", perhaps say "teleport to my ship" or "join me on my ship". "Makes it hard to play when..." can become "Makes it difficult to play when...". I know it's a inconvenience but in the grand scheme of things it's not too bad, just rephrase what you're trying to say :) As I said earlier, these phrases were only removed because they became enough of a problem to the point where they had to be removed.

These words are filtered because they have become a problem in the game. I know it may be frustrating but you can simply rephrase what you're trying to say. Instead of saying "come on my ship", perhaps say "teleport to my ship" or "join me on my ship". "Makes it hard to play when..." can become "Makes it difficult to play when...". I know it's a inconvenience but in the grand scheme of things it's not too bad, just rephrase what you're trying to say :) As I said earlier, these phrases were only removed because they became enough of a problem to the point where they had to be removed.
So how are certain words filtered (only words) like dank, Metallica, Megadeth. Meshuggah, etc? Just wondering

So how are certain words filtered (only words) like dank, Metallica, Megadeth. Meshuggah, etc? Just wondering
Basically there is a Whitelist of approved words. Words not on the whitelist will be 'Arrd and Garrd ' by default.
Those words probably just haven't been added to the Whitelist yet. As the list is updated manually it's gonna take a while to get right :)
If you go here https://piratesforums.co/threads/the-official-whitelist-suggestion-thread.12084/page-49#post-302598 you can suggest words/names to be included on the whitelist :)

OK, this issue is still persistent. Now I can't say "who are" in a sentence without my pirate regurgitating the words "arr yarr". This is not a scenario where the issue can be circumvented through saying a phrase like "it's difficult" instead of "it's hard'.

I am aware that a lot of effort is put into blocking problematic phrases and that they wouldn't be blacklisted in the first place if people didn't misuse them. However, this is directly affecting others who are trying to communicate normally. I'm sure there's a better method of stopping people from misusing the system in place.

People are creative and will always find a way to say what's on their mind. Any words or phrases can be mixed and matched to form curse words/racy phrases/whatever. At this rate, we're not going to be able to communicate in-game at all.

Why are you messing with the system in place?

Again, if it wasn't clear from before, I'm not trying to stir up any problems. These are my thoughts and opinions regarding this situation.

Why don't you just 'use your creativity' and find another way to say who are?

I wouldn't be replying to this thread if there was a simple workaround. I always find a way to say what I have in mind provided that it's not an insult, of course, but this time it's different. These are two words that I wholly believe should not be blacklisted because a few pirates are misusing them.

The chat filter is a bit flawed - it always finds a way to creep into in a lot of my conversations.

Also, the fact that the people behind chat filters put this much effort into finding very weird and unlikely offensive or rude phrases is just a bit unsettling.

Two examples:
"Don't remember her but ..."
"Makes it hard to play ..."

I can't include more examples since they occurred to me previously and are lost now. But now I'm going to document them whenever I can.

The chat filter is over the top. It prevents you from conveying what you mean properly and is a slight inconvenience.

What I'm asking for isn't open chat or allowing us to say non-acceptable words and phrases. Remove some of the more acceptable things to say and let us freely converse without the added effort of rectifying every "arrrrrrr garrrr yarr" by evading the filter and typing the words in separately or finding an alternative way to type them.

Another note -
This isn't a point I'm trying to make to revert the chat filters, but a genuine concern. The words or phrases highlighted in red may potentially bring unwanted attention towards them and indirectly explain their meaning to younger audiences.
The devs need to knock the fact into their skulls that the VAST majority of the playerbase is made up of adults, who frankly don't give two hoots about foul language. A simple curse word filter is enough.

Basically there is a Whitelist of approved words. Words not on the whitelist will be 'Arrd and Garrd ' by default.
Those words probably just haven't been added to the Whitelist yet. As the list is updated manually it's gonna take a while to get right :)
If you go here https://piratesforums.co/threads/the-official-whitelist-suggestion-thread.12084/page-49#post-302598 you can suggest words/names to be included on the whitelist :)
They need to ditch the whitelist, and go with a blacklist. Much easier to communicate ingame, and still includes basic filtering capabilities

The devs need to knock the fact into their skulls that the VAST majority of the playerbase is made up of adults, who frankly don't give two hoots about foul language. A simple curse word filter is enough.

"Vast majority" would be an overstatement. You also need to take the fact that this was previously a Disney game into account, and that the developers may be held liable for whatever goes on due to or as a result of the chat system.

I don't mind having both a whitelist and blacklist, the only thing I mind is having severe restrictions preventing me from saying ordinary things like "who are."

This is the last time I'll chime in on this issue. The white list, every single word you can say, is because someone took their free time and coded those words into the game... There are so many words we haven't added yet, that doesn't mean they are blacklisted.
You'd actually be surprised how many times it took your mom or sister or anyone else is a who are for it to be blacklisted... If it is reported enough, it is an issue... The fact that it was used SOOOOO MUCH in appropriate fashions is why it is blacklisted now. Tlopo is indeed the liable party for the chat... So it will not be a system that changes regardless of how folks feel about it. Phrases may be reviewed in the future to see if they still need to be on the blacklist. The word adult is slung around here alot... And I can promise you if the reports and logs are any indication... I have a 6 year old niece who is more of an adult than alot of the player base. Take the horse out to pasture if you want... But please stop beating it.

This is the last time I'll chime in on this issue. The white list, every single word you can say, is because someone took their free time and coded those words into the game... There are so many words we haven't added yet, that doesn't mean they are blacklisted.
You'd actually be surprised how many times it took your mom or sister or anyone else is a who are for it to be blacklisted... If it is reported enough, it is an issue... The fact that it was used SOOOOO MUCH in appropriate fashions is why it is blacklisted now. Tlopo is indeed the liable party for the chat... So it will not be a system that changes regardless of how folks feel about it. Phrases may be reviewed in the future to see if they still need to be on the blacklist. The word adult is slung around here alot... And I can promise you if the reports and logs are any indication... I have a 6 year old niece who is more of an adult than alot of the player base. Take the horse out to pasture if you want... But please stop beating it.
Your argument is extremely well articulated and cannot be countered easily. It was also dropped in so perfectly that nobody could have expected it. There is only one piece of audio that I can think of which represents how your statement was put:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uufq_PFXbpA

Last edited:
I understand that, but I have a couple of question if you don't mind. Do bans not serve their purpose when something like this occurs? Could TLOPO enforce a stricter ban system depending on the situation?

There could be a news update or something similar highlighting the changes in effect so players don't make any excuses and different ban periods depending on the problem you're dealing with. Repeated offenses would lead to either increased ban times, final warnings, or a permanent account ban. If another account registered on the same device becomes permanently banned after the first one was, there could be an irreversible hardware ban. The terms of service can be updated to reflect these changes - the ToS can be edited to state something along the lines of "TLOPO support have the right to choose not deal with you if a decision has been made by the moderation team."

I am aware that some (or most) of the things I mentioned already exist, but to what extent that they are enforced is what I don't know. A general explanation/general examples of banning scenarios would help me understand more, too.

Personally, I rarely feel the need to say anything rude on TLOPO (because I'm aware of the repercussions too, I have to admit). I may or may not be foul-mouthed in real life, but this is one thing that I definitely don't carry into online games. So it does get annoying when I'm unable to speak my mind because others are abusing the chat system. But yeah, the issue of people abusing it is present, so that rectifies everything I guess.

Disney's chat was far from perfect... But their chat didn't transfer over with the game code... So unfortunately this is what we have. It is nice to have a pleasant discussion about it which we can take some good suggestions from that. The problem that arises from the bans to permanent ban positions is nobody cares until their account is tossed... Folks have been very critical of the process while have the full ability to read all the rules... They aren't made up as we go... We literally follow them how they were written. We also update the public when we change items on it through our media outputs. As far as complete ban scenarios... Use of 3rd party products is pretty well known now, but most are a cumulative points system that folks rack up for reports for being jerks or completely disregarding others enjoyment if the game, I guess that's extreme oversimplification and I don't mean to dull it down, but if feel that's as far as I'm allowed to explain it as I'm only a mod myself... JFR would be a better person to talk to about it since he is my Lead Mod on TLOPO. I hope this clears some questions up, but feel free to message me with any further questions! @Darkslinger

Having phrases like this filtered out actually would be more perverting towards innocent minds than having it not filtered. Innocent minds are going to wonder why their seemingly innocent message was filtered out and look it up. :rolleyes:

But you know, I guess that's not TLOPO's problem.

Back