Announcement Revisions to TLOPO Moderation Policy - 8/25/2019

The Crew

TLOPO Staff
Revisions to TLOPO Moderation Policy
Effective: 8/25/2019

Ahoy,

After a period of reflection on our existing moderation policies and protocols, the Moderation team has decided it’s time to make several revisions to how we handle disciplinary action when there are infractions of the Terms of Service and/or Community Guidelines. We ask that all players read this post in its entirety to properly understand all of the changes that have been made.

To begin, The Legend of Pirates Online will no longer ban players for chat infractions. Instead, we will now use in-game chat mutes as a substitute. We believe that mutes are a better solution, as they allow players to play the game, while still experiencing consequences for violating our rules. As an extension of this change, players will no longer face termination for chat offenses, even if they hit our ten point threshold. Below is how our ban ladders will now take shape:

CHAT OFFENSES

Intermediate chat offenses 1 point, 2 month expiry.

• First offense: Warning
  • Second offense: 24 hour mute
  • Third offense: 48 hour mute

Severe chat offenses 2+ points (2 by default, any higher is determined by Senior Moderators), 4 month expiry
  • First offense: 48 hour mute
  • Second offense: 72 hour mute
  • Third offense: 96 hour mute
  • Fourth offense: 168 hour mute (1 week)
  • We reserve the right to increase this category of infraction past 168 hours as well for special cases.

There are, as always, exceptions to the above changes. If a player decides to “dox” (publish someone’s personal information) another player in our game, they will be instantly terminated. This includes threatening a player with a dox or even joking about it, we won’t tolerate it at all. There will be no window to appeal a termination if a player engages in this behavior.

Our points system will still exist for our convenience. Please note: if a player hits ten points for chat offenses, they will be muted for a month, instead of a termination. However, if the player hits ten points due to non-chat related offenses, they will be terminated.

OTHER OFFENSES
  • Abuse of TLOPO Services, including but not limited to email, social media
  • Auto-clicking
  • Third-party program use
  • Exploiting
  • Impersonating TLOPO staff, Pirates Forums staff, or QA Testers
  • Submitting inappropriate names for approval

Our stance on exploiting, auto-clicking and other non-chat related offenses are still the same, players will be banned and/or terminated depending on the severity of the offense. Please refer to the below ladder for non-chat related offenses.

NON-CHAT OFFENSES

Intermediate offenses: 1 point, 2 month expiry.

• First offense: Email warning
  • Second offense: 24 hour ban
  • Three+ offenses: 48 hour ban

Severe offenses: 2+ points (2 by default, any higher is determined by Senior Moderators), 4 month expiry.
  • First offense: 48 hour ban
  • Second offense: 72 hour ban
  • Three+ offenses: 96 hour ban
  • We reserve the right to increase this category of infraction past 96 hours as well for special cases.

Additionally, we are now considering new appeals for all chat-related terminations. We are considering appeals regardless of how long ago the chat-related termination occurred, as well as if you have previously had an appeal denied. There will be a case by case review of players who were terminated for chat offenses; however, we will not accept appeals from players who were terminated for severe offenses, such as sharing others’ personal information.

To appeal, please email our support team at support@tlopo.com and they will go through the steps to verify who you are. Please note: terminated players must appeal with the email that was associated with their terminated account in order to have their termination removed. Please bear with us, it may take a while to process your appeal as we will have to sift through a lot of them.

If you have any questions, please contact our support team and they can assist you.

Fair Winds,

The Crew @ The Legend of Pirates Online

Last edited:
Are the points from the Chat and Non-Chat offenses different? For example, if one were to get 9 points from chat offenses and then 1 point from a non-chat offense, would they be terminated? Or do these points not affect each other?
Good question.

In your listed scenario, they wouldn’t be terminated. They’d need a significant portion of their 10 points to be from non-chat offenses in order to get a termination.

How is TLOPO going to introduce something like this, to which POTCO did not have, to carry forth it's purpose? If it is simply code added, I would hope that kind of info. is never discovered nor reverse-engineered to the point to where players themselves could override.

I don't know about TLOPO but pirates bored whom play the game readily have tried to pull off anything they could to gain an "unfair" advantage (as 'just' a reminder).

How is TLOPO going to introduce something like this, to which POTCO did not have, to carry forth it's purpose? If it is simply code added, I would hope that kind of info. is never discovered nor reverse-engineered to the point to where players themselves can override.

I don't know about TLOPO but pirates bored whom play the game readily have try to pull off anything they could to gain an "unfair" advantage (as just a reminder).
Yeah, this won’t be an issue.

Good question.

In your listed scenario, they wouldn’t be terminated. They’d need a significant portion of their 10 points to be from non-chat offenses in order to get a termination.
7 out of the 10 points I had resulting in my termination were from chat-related bans, yet my appeal was denied. The moderation policy might have been changed, but the minds of the Senior Moderation team and moderators themselves remain completely biased based on over 1 year old misconceptions.

7 out of the 10 points I had resulting in my termination were from chat-related bans, yet my appeal was denied. The moderation policy might have been changed, but the minds of the Senior Moderation team and moderators themselves remain completely biased based on over 1 year old misconceptions.
I can't talk about your account status here but I can talk about it in a DM. Send one my way.

I think if everyone would read and listened to the rules, there would not be a need for such a time waster. The staff has enough to do with their volunteer work then having to police a bunch of ungrateful people. Sorry, that is how I see it. They stay up late at night working for you all to repair a piece of your childhood so that you all can enjoy remembering how much fun it really was, and the few that decide to ruin it in some way deserve punishment. The crew could be working on something truly great than deciding on rule breakers. I appreciate all that they do for us, you should too.

Back