REVIVE POTCO Revisited ~ "Tales Be Told!"

Arrrrr! Do ye still LOVE bein' a PIRATE?

• AYE ~ Me timbers be shiver'd!

Votes: 73 94.8%
  • NAY ~ Much like Disney, me interests have changed!

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters
Yeah, but without any undead pirates or Jolly Roger as a boss and stuff like that, it just doesn't seem to have the same oomph.

well thats not necessarily true jolly roger was never a character in any potc film and skeleton pirates are in almost every single pirate game these days so you cant patent the undead and eitc and navy were all real things back than therefore they cant be patented

:cannon::piratemickey:lol i love that emote

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but there's no need to patent it as Disney didn't patent them. POTCO could be rewritten with maybe a few small twists on the storyline. Although, considering there is the infinitely unlikely chance that POTC 5 might come out someday(Disney never stated there would be one, but has no announcement stating the opposite either), so they could maybe use the box office money to reboot it. They did close it, but never said it was dead forever. Any ideas to spur that rumour? This needs a rumour mill started and soon.

Edit: It's been confirmed, POTC 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales, will release sometime in 2016. Link here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1790809/

Yeah, but there's no need to patent it as Disney didn't patent them. POTCO could be rewritten with maybe a few small twists on the storyline. Although, considering there is the infinitely unlikely chance that POTC 5 might come out someday(Disney never stated there would be one, but has no announcement stating the opposite either), so they could maybe use the box office money to reboot it. They did close it, but never said it was dead forever. Any ideas to spur that rumour? This needs a rumour mill started and soon.

Edit: It's been confirmed, POTC 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales, will release sometime in 2016. Link here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1790809/

either way its a while off and if disney really is going to try and relaunch the game than they will persue it much faster knowing their consumers are using a rewrite of the game. what disney didnt account for in their closing of pirates is the loss of age diversity. im 17 and play me aunt is 36 and played and me mum is 41 and played not to mention my 11 year old brother and we all loved it and i know for a fact that alot of people on the game were adults. what kind of 41 year old woman is gonna play club penguin? thats the real loss and the worst part is that disney is supposed to thrive on age diversity. walt disney once said "if you aim only for kids your dead, besides adults are only kids all grown up anyway." and by closing the game is complete defiance of walt disney.

~ "OTHER" messages received/understood by
RP (non-Disney specific) ~

tumblr_m7j0adtqtS1ra3fl0o1_500.gif

1.) A former ABC network, television anchor writes:

"...I honestly don't know who would be the best person to contact about that. Have you ever heard of the website Cnet? You might check it out - perhaps you can find someone who writes about video games who can help with the petition. That's my only suggestion. I'm sorry. Wish I had more expertise in that area!"
:xbones:

2.) The first/original POTCO community manager informs a RP organizer and writes:

"...regarding a petition so many pirates united in accord to erect. The word came back to us via an old colleague contact stating [check this out- guess they still love us! how cool is this] with a link attached to a petition site. Sometimes all they hear is the negative, I guess it apparently warmed their fire some"

3.) Just prior to Disney's (Aug. 20, 2013) MMO "closing" announcement, a former staff writer of the Los Angeles Times currently employed now as a staff writer for the Wall Street Journal writes:

"Hi I'm a reporter at the Wall Street Journal working on a story about Disney's interactive media group. Is there someone running this group/petition i can ask a few questions as to whether and how Disney is maintaining this game? I get the sense it's still alive but kinda on life support? thanks"

4.) A dedicated POTCO player & friend to a RP Organizer attended the 2013, "D23" event. While there, the following (June 13th) text message was conveyed:

"Talking to people. The revive potco is known by these people. Said don't shutdown. This community is passionate."

~ PRESS and MEDIA ~

The following reveals the extent RP organizers had gone to sought out public awareness and support towards the petition. (Informing the 'MEDIA' became a focus as a direct result of Disney/Disney Interactive ignoring previous attempts made by RP in responding to correspondence).

Please:ahoy:click on the ARTICLES provided below (which had either shared details associated with RP or quickly mentioned the petition in passing):

1.) http://www.gameskinny.com/1kk52/pirates-online-players-plead-with-disney-to-keep-sailing-the-Caribbean

5.) http://mmohuts.com/news/revive-pirates-of-the-caribbean-movement-gains-steam
(article resulted due to the effort of a non-RP organizer; a 'dedicated' POTCO player)

6.) http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-15/disney-sees-profit-from-jack-sparrow-playing-with-buzz.html
(mentioned the petition only)

7.) http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/17/entertainment/la-et-ct-disney-interactive-club-penguin-20121017
(mentioned the petition only
)

~ PEOPLE made aware of the RP petition ~
(Media writers/'Pirate-enthusiasts' /Disney supporters)

Media2-Aug-6_0.jpg

~ MEDIA-related ~

1.) John Gaudiosi - "Freelance Game Writer" (contacted via LinkedIn)
www.linkedin.com/in/johngaudiosi/

2.) Dawn C. Chmielewski - "Entertainment/Technology Writer - Los Angeles Times" (contacted via LinkedIn)
https://twitter.com/DawnC331

3.) Ben Fritz - "Entertainment/Technology Writer - The Wall Street Journal" (contacted via LinkedIn)
www.linkedin.com/in/benfritz/

4.) Brooks Barnes - "Writer - The New York Times" (contacted via email, 'The New York Times' online)
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/brooks_barnes/

5.) Kirsten Acuna - "Associate Editor - Business Insider" (contacted via email, 'Business Insider')
https://twitter.com/KirstenAcuna

6.) Eddie Makuch - Former "Assistant News Editor - Gamespot" (contacted via LinkedIn)
www.linkedin.com/pub/eddie-makuch/1b/239/782/

7.) Colin Campbell - Former "Head of News & Features at IGN" (contacted via LinkedIn)
www.linkedin.com/pub/colin-campbell/0/2b8/163/

8.) Casey Lynch - Former "Editor-in-Chief at IGN Entertainment" (contacted via LinkedIn)
www.linkedin.com/in/lynchtastic/

pirate-flamey_preview.jpg

~ Pirate enthusiasts ~

1.) Administrator for, http://www.thepirateking.com/, writes:

Hi. Thanks for your email, but I do not think this is really something I am interested in pursuing. The intent of my website is fact based historical research, not fantasy based role play. Good luck with your effort. Regards, TPK

2.) http://www.keeptothecode.com/

3.) http://www.noquartergiven.net/

4.) http://www.tellnotales.com/

5.) http://whydah.com/

6.) http://www.thepiratemuseum.com/

it__s_just____good_business_by_messengerofdreams-d42603o.jpg

~ Disney supporters ~

1.) Administrator for, http://www.davelandweb.com/potc/, writes:

a.) Hi _____ - I appreciate your passion for this game, but from what I know of Disney, I seriously doubt that they are going to put any efforts into it (regardless of the petition) until it gets closer to the release of the next POTC sequel. Sincerely, Dave

b.) I'm not sure what avenues you've pursued so far, but again...I don't think the petition is going to get much action. I think that it would have to be a bigger issue on a more public forum before Disney would take any action. I am "assuming" that they are not making much money from this online game, which is why they are abandoning it. Have you tried to reach out to the forums? The biggest one being Mice Chat. That might be your most effective option.
Just a thought...Dave

2.) http://www.dis411.net/

3.) http://micechat.com/
(Soon to come, ye pirates: 'ending' RP secrets and FAQs) :arrrrr:

A private server be the best way to go. Without their trademark on the game, they cannot stop us. As with POTCO'S memory, we will never die
Agreed, Edward. Your name is familiar, who was your pirate in game?
3.) Just prior to Disney's (Aug. 20, 2013) MMO "closing" announcement, a former staff writer of the Los Angeles Times currently employed now as a staff writer for the Wall Street Journal writes:

"Hi I'm a reporter at the Wall Street Journal working on a story about Disney's interactive media group. Is there someone running this group/petition i can ask a few questions as to whether and how Disney is maintaining this game? I get the sense it's still alive but kinda on life support? thanks"

Thanks again Shamus, for presenting all of this to us.
Did the questions from the Wall Street Journal writer ever go anywhere after this?

Did the questions from the Wall Street Journal writer ever go anywhere after this?
Unfortunately "no," :sad1: and below is how this circumstance played out...

On August 12, 2013, it was disclosed that this writer (Mr. Ben Fritz) had sent that particular message to RP's facebook page. Thereafter (on August 13, 2013), a reply was sent back to him acknowledging RP's interest to understand from him the questions that he did have and would like to ask concerning the petition and/or POTCO.

On August 16, 2013, no response was received back yet from Mr. Fritz and it was discovered on that particular day that Mr. Fritz had actually written a August 15th article posted with The Wall Street Journal devoted to both "Disney Infinity" and Disney Interactive. Below is the link to the actual article although we cannot access the article now as a result of the WSJ "locking" such articles from public viewing (you have to log into their site which requires a fee in order to do so. However and at that time, the article was available to read):
Anyway, without receiving any response back or confirmation from Mr. Fritz by Aug. 16th concerning the questions that he wanted to ask, RP organizers had a suspicion that his interest was for the purpose of compiling information to write the article I mentioned above having to do with Infinity and Disney Interactive.

As well all know, August 20th was the day that Disney "officially" announced that POTCO, ToonTown, and Pixie Hollows would each be closed on September 19th. Therefore:(, Mr. Fritz's interest into RP came entirely too late at a point in time to where POTCO's fate had already been decided.

Unfortunately "no," :sad1: and below is how this circumstance played out...

On August 12, 2013, it was disclosed that this writer (Mr. Ben Fritz) had sent that particular message to RP's facebook page. Thereafter (on August 13, 2013), a reply was sent back to him acknowledging RP's interest to understand from him the questions that he did have and would like to ask concerning the petition and/or POTCO.

On August 16, 2013, no response was received back yet from Mr. Fritz and it was discovered on that particular day that Mr. Fritz had actually written a August 15th article posted with The Wall Street Journal devoted to both "Disney Infinity" and Disney Interactive. Below is the link to the actual article although we cannot access the article now as a result of the WSJ "locking" such articles from public viewing (you have to log into their site which requires a fee in order to do so. However and at that time, the article was available to read):
Anyway, without receiving any response back or confirmation from Mr. Fritz by Aug. 16th concerning the questions that he wanted to ask, RP organizers had a suspicion that his interest was for the purpose of compiling information to write the article I mentioned above having to do with Infinity and Disney Interactive.

As well all know, August 20th was the day that Disney "officially" announced that POTCO, ToonTown, and Pixie Hollows would each be closed on September 19th. Therefore:(, Mr. Fritz's interest into RP came entirely too late at a point in time to where POTCO's fate had already been decided.

After reading what you said Shamus I said to myself, "Why does the truth hurt so much? ":cry:

After reading what you said Shamus I said to myself, "Why does the truth hurt so much? ":cry:
What really makes it difficult to accept within this particular case was that RP had contacted Mr. Fritz through LinkedIn on December 18, 2012 (8 months prior to his facebook message) so...:rolleyes:...he had "plenty" of time to respond back to RP concerning any questions he had about the petition or POTCO in general.

all reporters want is a good story what we need to do is see if we can track down another reporter to listen to our story. i believe their is enough passion in the hearts of potco players that we can convince someone to hear us. you gotta think about it, "group of former pirates online players fight to revive their realm" thats all we need is 1 person to see how much we care and make it a good story that people will read and support. i also would like to say that i have contacted disney at 3 different adresses in the past 1-2 weeks and received no response but that it may take 2-3 days to respond. either their customer support is just terrible or their hiding their heads in the sand. i have notified a local pirate group i am part of as well (brethren of the great lakes) and requested support. i do admit most of my time is spent reguarding the revival of the game.

i was looking at a game called pirates of the high seas which is a potco rewritten and is supposedly in production

With pirates of the high seas, I just found this. 4. Q. Will it be free-to-play or pay-to-play?
A. Both. When you sign up for the game you'll have one free month of Unlimited Access. It will cost $9.95 a month after that first month to keep Unlimited Access. You can also play as a Basic free-to-play pirate, being able to achieve a max level of 25.

This is illegal. A remake of a game, that has Disney trademarks, such as Jack Sparrow, and COSTS money is in fact illegal. The developers of this game can be prosicuted by Disney Interactive Studios for charging a price of 9.95 for a game that DIS has created.

With pirates of the high seas, I just found this. 4. Q. Will it be free-to-play or pay-to-play?
A. Both. When you sign up for the game you'll have one free month of Unlimited Access. It will cost $9.95 a month after that first month to keep Unlimited Access. You can also play as a Basic free-to-play pirate, being able to achieve a max level of 25.

This is illegal. A remake of a game, that has Disney trademarks, such as Jack Sparrow, and COSTS money is in fact illegal. The developers of this game can be prosicuted by Disney Interactive Studios for charging a price of 9.95 for a game that DIS has created.

I do not find the illegal thing, where is it? Having the same price as POTCO used to have for monthly subscriptions does not make them illegal. In addition to this, they also statted that this game ("project" in works) is not gonna contain any characters like Jack Sparrow inside it, disney content in general.

Even though, I still do not rely too much on that. It is just a project; nothing more. As long as they do not provide their first Beta, I suggest everyone to wait and see. This might harass some of you, but keep in mind that is is just my opinion, NOTHING more. I do not judge their project and their work by any means.

I do not find the illegal thing, where is it? Having the same price as POTCO used to have for monthly subscriptions does not make them illegal. In addition to this, they also statted that this game ("project" in works) is not gonna contain any characters like Jack Sparrow inside it, disney content in general.

Even though, I still do not rely too much on that. It is just a project; nothing more. As long as they do not provide their first Beta, I suggest everyone to wait and see. This might harass some of you, but keep in mind that is is just my opinion, NOTHING more. I do not judge their project and their work by any means.

i do worry that it may get a little out of hand and turn into a scam it definitely has a bright future but to be 100% honest i would trust the game in the hands of disney first and want to keep working on getting it back with them first before we resort to this. i know disney hasnt been the most responsible with the game but our best chances are with them. dont get me wrong i support every form of getting the game back i just want to try this first. especially because they want to raise like 250,000$ to start the game which i find a little sketchy. if anyone ever has any info to contradict anything i say please feel free to correct me i dont have alot of knowledge about the game.

i do worry that it may get a little out of hand and turn into a scam it definitely has a bright future but to be 100% honest i would trust the game in the hands of disney first and want to keep working on getting it back with them first before we resort to this. i know disney hasnt been the most responsible with the game but our best chances are with them. dont get me wrong i support every form of getting the game back i just want to try this first. especially because they want to raise like 250,000$ to start the game which i find a little sketchy. if anyone ever has any info to contradict anything i say please feel free to correct me i dont have alot of knowledge about the game.

I sympathize with your concerns, POTCO was what it was. NOBODY can change that. Disney might let down the game the last years, but Disney was the motivation for us to build this AWESOME community. We would not have been here today if it was not for them. And to be honest, I grew up playing this game. NO ONE and NOTHING will change it nor modify it; unless it is Disney. So yeah, I miss the game and it's people much, but since this chapter of my life is now finished, I shall proceed to my future. I have met so many people here, I had very good moments while in-game, the game and the people I have met will live in my memories until God takes me.

:flag1:

I sympathize with your concerns, POTCO was what it was. NOBODY can change that. Disney might let down the game the last years, but Disney was the motivation for us to build this AWESOME community. We would not have been here today if it was not for them. And to be honest, I grew up playing this game. NO ONE and NOTHING will change it nor modify it; unless it is Disney. So yeah, I miss the game and it's people much, but since this chapter of my life is now finished, I shall proceed to my future. I have met so many people here, I had very good moments while in-game, the game and the people I have met will live in my memories until God takes me.

:flag1:

i agree and wherever we may roam let us roam together whether it be with disney, or pirates of the high seas i look forward to piratin' with ya!

Well, basically, they are taking a game Disney developed, and they take accept money for people to play it. Unless they remove EVERY Disney trademark, remake the whole story quest, etc. the game can be a elligable law suit for Disney. Another thing is "Oooh $25 for beta, even though you played the game" and "$75 dollars for founder and extra stuff"

Shamus The Brute & sage hexbones

Okay I remember Sage and other people asking if Revive POTCO could become a huge awareness on the news. Well I heard about this game called VMK aka Virtual Magic Kingdom which only lasted three years. Now this game got published on the channel 6 news in 2008 because it was closing. These players that played VMK got the same reaction and response when we found out Disney was about to pull the plug on us.

Now I am wondering if POTCO might have a chance on being on the news?

Back