REVIVE POTCO Revisited ~ "Tales Be Told!"

Arrrrr! Do ye still LOVE bein' a PIRATE?

• AYE ~ Me timbers be shiver'd!

Votes: 73 94.8%
  • NAY ~ Much like Disney, me interests have changed!

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters
Well, basically, they are taking a game Disney developed, and they take accept money for people to play it. Unless they remove EVERY Disney trademark, remake the whole story quest, etc. the game can be a elligable law suit for Disney. Another thing is "Oooh $25 for beta, even though you played the game" and "$75 dollars for founder and extra stuff"

Gah :confused:

They are not going to put any content which belongs to DIMG, so yeah if there is a game soon, it will be legal. The whole project started when Disney announced that POTCO, Toontown and Pixle Hallow are going to close. Their plans for this "new game" are based on POTCO; but it will not contain any characters nor trademarks from Disney. Also there is nothing to do with the price. How much it will cost a subcription to a game, (games in general) is up to the developers.

I myself have to stated that poor enough to buy "just a title" 75$ or such. IF the game OPENS, and is real worth it I will give it a try, BUT as soon as they do not release their first Beta; I do not really base on this project. They require a lot of money for the the necessary equipment and I do not think that children, teenagers like most of us or even Adults will be able to give such sum. Let along that young people do not have paypal accounts and the do not want to create just for donating.

@Captain Ghosty

I think that within it's prime, POTCO could have been a subject (if the game's closing had occurred during such a time) to where mainstream MEDIA might have allowed an opportunity to where a news article or broadcast story could have benefited the game as a result of such exposure. Unfortunately today, it is of my opinion that the last few years of POTCO offered very little "leverage" to where such mention of POTCO would fail even to turn the heads and the minds of those decision-makers of Disney to where POTCO could be revived/saved/re-invented.

The reason I say this is because of two things:
  1. Disney Infinity - This gaming platform is such a BIG:flower girl:TIME news story now for Disney that when people combine the word "game" with "Disney," the majority of people will subconsciously think that you are talking about Disney Infinity as a result of the level of promotion, advertising, and marketing which has been attributed to that game's success. *In addition, if you also consider the fact that Disney Infinity already has POTC characters (i.e, Jack Sparrow, Tia Dalma, Davy Jones, the Kraken, etc.) implemented into it then you do begin to realize the level of competition to which POTCO would have to overcome if a "story" did break out today within mainstream MEDIA about the game or the petition.
  2. Unfamiliarity with POTCO - Regardless of the fact that POTCO is valued considerably by us all, what I did discover from researching into Disney ('Disney Interactive' in particular) over this past year is that the WORLD is quite unfamiliar with POTCO. Those who have heard of it (i.e., including those within the gaming industry) do not take the game seriously enough to the point to where they would be willing to support it. I feel this is because of the devotion, advertising, and marketing Disney has failed to apply towards the POTCO platform.
idk. Perhaps others feel differently than I do in contacting news MEDIA. All I know is that I feel quite "burnt out" on trying to contact anyone about POTCO or the petition. (A full year will do that to you, lol). Anyway, if she does not mind responding back about the background concerning VMK, perhaps it would be best to ask someone like @Captain Star about how that news MEDIA broadcast came about and whether it actually helped or not, as she is more familiar with VMK than myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shamus The Brute & sage hexbones

Okay I remember Sage and other people asking if Revive POTCO could become a huge awareness on the news. Well I heard about this game called VMK aka Virtual Magic Kingdom which only lasted three years. Now this game got published on the channel 6 news in 2008 because it was closing. These players that played VMK got the same reaction and response when we found out Disney was about to pull the plug on us.

Now I am wondering if POTCO might have a chance on being on the news?
thats what i have been trying to say all along its not that big of a job to get on the news theirs a couple ways to do so 1 being paying for an article and the other getting someone to here our story which i think is alot better and alot more likely to get noticed. we need to do something big to get disney's attention, and the attention of people who want to make a difference and support us.
@Captain Ghosty

I think that in it's prime, POTCO could have been a subject (if the game's closing had occurred during such a time) to where mainstream MEDIA might have allowed an opportunity to where a news article or broadcast story could have benefited the game as a result of such exposure. Unfortunately today, it is of my opinion that the last few years of POTCO offered very little "leverage" (if it did even at all) to where such mention of POTCO would even turn the heads or the minds of decision-makers at Disney to where POTCO could be revived/saved/re-invented.

I reason I say this is because of two things:
  1. Disney Infinity - This gaming platform is such a BIG:flower girl:TIME news story now for Disney that when people combine the word "game" with "Disney," the majority of people will subconsciously feel that you are talking about Disney Infinity as a result of the level of promotion, advertising, and marketing which has been attributed to that game's success. *In addition, if you also consider the fact that Disney Infinity already has POTC characters (i.e, Jack Sparrow, Tia Dalma, Davy Jones, the Kraken, etc.) implemented into it then you do begin to realize the level of competition to which POTCO would have to overcome if a "story" did break out today within mainstream MEDIA about the game or the petition.
  2. Unfamiliarity with POTCO - Regardless of the fact that POTCO is valued considerably by us all, what I did discover from researching into Disney ('Disney Interactive' in particular) over this past year is that the WORLD is quite unfamiliar with POTCO. Those who have heard of it (i.e., including those within the gaming industry) do not take the game seriously enough to the point to where they would be willing to support it. I feel this is because of the devotion, advertising, and marketing Disney has failed to apply towards the POTCO platform.
idk. Perhaps others feel differently than I do in contacting news MEDIA. All I know is that I feel quite "burnt out" on trying to contact anyone about POTCO or the petition. (A full year will do that to you, lol). Anyway, if she does not mind responding back about the background concerning VMK, perhaps it would be best to ask someone like @Captain Star about how that news MEDIA broadcast came about and whether it actually helped or not, as she is more familiar with VMK than me.

i would also like to touch base with you about that too, one of the reasons it became unknown was once again because of disney's neglect in their advertising department. like i have said a thousand times before i havent seen a single potco comercial since about 2010 thats the big problem and thats what enrages me is that when they knew the ship was starting to sink they did nothing to advertise the game and bring in new players. i dont mean to sound angry or rude, but do you wanna know why i started playing? BECAUSE I SAW A COMERCIAL! they spend all their time updating and trying to maintain their already exhisting players and dont realize they need to draw in new ones as well. you cant keep feeding the same croud forever. yes, people are gonna quit playing or take breaks from the game, what do you do then? YOU USHER IN THE NEXT GENERATION!. it amazes me that a company like disney cant even figure that out.

~ RP "secrets"/FAQs worth mentioning ~

Cropped-revive-potco.png

31792693_125x125.png

1.) On January 23, 2013, a "non-player" submit form was created by the developer/administrator of the RP website which permitted individuals (whom were not POTCO players) to submit their information to show support towards the petition

2.) On February 5th, 2013, a RP organizer had discovered that POTCO's customer service department had relocated from California (USA) to Disney Interactive "Canada" headquarters which, ironically, remained the locale/operational base for the development of the Club Penguin game and brand

3.) Between May 13-17, 2013, RP organizers discussed and then agreed upon the consideration of having "real/individual" signature names added to the RP signature list along with the goal of obtaining a total signature count for the purpose of presenting a more successful petition. (The hope was to model the RP petition after 'other' online petitions whom had acquired and achieved success by relying upon such strategies). During the height of such discussion however, RP organizers were also in the midst of planning for the details pertaining to the "Land Ho! Revive POTCO - 2nd event" and the changes agreed upon were inadvertently postponed

4.) On LinkedIn, a brief effort was devoted to establishing onsite connection with Christi Dembrowski (sister/President of actor Johnny Depp's production company, 'Infinitum Nihil'), for the purpose and goal to communication an awareness concerning RP. A successful connection to heighten RP awareness was not realized

5.) A brief effort by a RP organizer was devoted in establishing (email) communication to an internet blog which was periodically being maintained for movie producer, Jerry Bruckheimer. Communication to heighten RP awareness was never realized

6.) RP organizers had accrued a total of 64 "conversation" pages (on the forums) on behalf of the petition and related planning prior to Disney's August 20, 2013 announcement that POTCO would be closed

7.) The below (POTCO) chat logs unveil the boldness RP organizers took on behalf of the petiton to where a Disney Interactive individual (responsible for the 'Ben Bowman' character/game master) was questioned in-game:

Chat #1 (credit goes to Johnny Sea Slasher/Dent)

BenBowmanConvo.png

Chat #2 (credit goes to Pretty Polly)

FOSBenChat.jpg

~ Contacting Disney/Disney Interactive through
MAILINGS/slow mail ~

To be clear, the distribution of hard-copy mailings (i.e., document letters sent via 'slow mail') were deeply rooted as the final strategy RP organizers desired to uphold to inform Disney about the scope of the petition once the efforts of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and email were realized. However, there remained numerous challenges which stood in the way for such delivery of correspondence to occur. As such, RP organizers resolved to delay the forwarding of petition mailings and eventually, abandoned the effort altogether as a result of the difficulty in overcoming such challenges.

1239c13e-6238-4e4a-8ea6-cc5f1239afc4.jpg

~ Reasons as to why RP, hard-copy letters/documents never received an envelope nor a stamp:

a.) It was decided that the onset of the US holiday season (with 'Thanksgiving' in November and 'Christmas' in December) would significantly alter the impact RP mailings would incur if received by Disney, corporate decision-makers

b.) The volunteering decision of a RP organizer (to hand-deliver RP documents to DIMG headquarters) proved practical but later, impractical, due to discovery which revealed the location was inadequate into accepting a positive response from those whom could remain sympathetic towards POTCO's virtual, online-world platform

c.) Difficulty in obtaining legitimate, reliable sources of information pertinent to specific addresses of where individuals actually worked for Disney/Disney Interactive

:rescue:

(Avast! Soon to come; insights into RP 'event' planning and concluding remarks; Stay tuned, me hearties)

Agreed, Edward. Your name is familiar, who was your pirate in game?
Thanks again Shamus, for presenting all of this to us.
Did the questions from the Wall Street Journal writer ever go anywhere after this?

My pirate's name was exactly as it shows on here, Edward Shipwrecker. I still remember the name even well after the game's closure. I might have made a drawing if I had done it before the game closed down. They could have at least let us download a pic of our pirate the day before the closure too, as many wanted to remember what their pirate looked like.

Captain Ghosty

I think that within it's prime, POTCO could have been a subject (if the game's closing had occurred during such a time) to where mainstream MEDIA might have allowed an opportunity to where a news article or broadcast story could have benefited the game as a result of such exposure. Unfortunately today, it is of my opinion that the last few years of POTCO offered very little "leverage" to where such mention of POTCO would fail even to turn the heads and the minds of those decision-makers of Disney to where POTCO could be revived/saved/re-invented.

The reason I say this is because of two things:
  1. Disney Infinity - This gaming platform is such a BIG:flower girl:TIME news story now for Disney that when people combine the word "game" with "Disney," the majority of people will subconsciously think that you are talking about Disney Infinity as a result of the level of promotion, advertising, and marketing which has been attributed to that game's success. *In addition, if you also consider the fact that Disney Infinity already has POTC characters (i.e, Jack Sparrow, Tia Dalma, Davy Jones, the Kraken, etc.) implemented into it then you do begin to realize the level of competition to which POTCO would have to overcome if a "story" did break out today within mainstream MEDIA about the game or the petition.
idk. Perhaps others feel differently than I do in contacting news MEDIA. All I know is that I feel quite "burnt out" on trying to contact anyone about POTCO or the petition. (A full year will do that to you, lol). Anyway, if she does not mind responding back about the background concerning VMK, perhaps it would be best to ask someone like Captain Star about how that news MEDIA broadcast came about and whether it actually helped or not, as she is more familiar with VMK than myself.
They stopped advertising POTCO long ago, I remember when they showed those commercials several times a day back in 2008/2009 and my kids were clamoring to log in and play it, their mistake was not continuing to advertise it in 2010/2011 therefore not exposing it to new customers and guaranteeing it's demise. Word of mouth can go just so far, advertising still has it's power and Disney dropped the ball on potco with regards to that.

They stopped advertising POTCO long ago, I remember when they showed those commercials several times a day back in 2008/2009 and my kids were clamoring to log in and play it, their mistake was not continuing to advertise it in 2010/2011 therefore not exposing it to new customers and guaranteeing it's demise. Word of mouth can go just so far, advertising still has it's power and Disney dropped the ball on potco with regards to that.
My hope for this thread is that it does not go too far "off-topic" here but, the question I am wondering is whether or not the lack of advertising/promotion devoted to POTCO remained a direct result of Disney Interactive losing significant money as a division of the company (with employee 'layoffs' not helping the situation at all) or was it rather because Disney resolved to not focus on POTCO as much as it had when the game first came out? Does the answer remain a combination of both?

What I would like to stress the most is that the Disney Interactive we do have available now is not the same Disney Interactive we had back in 2008/2009 (or even during the late 2012 moment in time when planning for RP was first begun). As a result, it is quite unfortunate to realize that the lack of marketing, advertising, and promotion concerning POTCO was a likely cause which had contributed to the game's demise.

Thank you I have been saying this since I joined this forum.
My hope for this thread is that it does not go too far "off-topic" here but, the question I am wondering is whether or not the lack of advertising/promotion devoted to POTCO remained a direct result of Disney Interactive losing significant money as a division of the company (with employee 'layoffs' not helping the situation at all) or was it rather because Disney resolved to not focus on POTCO as much as it had when the game first came out? Does the answer remain a combination of both?

What I would like to stress the most is that the Disney Interactive we do have available now is not the same Disney Interactive we had back in 2008/2009 (or even during the late 2012 moment in time when planning for RP was first begun). As a result, it is quite unfortunate to realize that the lack of marketing, advertising, and promotion concerning POTCO was a likely cause which had contributed to the game's demise.
they are disney they have their own tv stations they could have advertised on for free they were over confident when the game launched and when it was a huge hit they figured "oh we got enough players why keep advertising?" thats what my best explanation is they spent all their time trying to please the exhisting players and didnt worry about new ones.
My pirate's name was exactly as it shows on here, Edward Shipwrecker. I still remember the name even well after the game's closure. I might have made a drawing if I had done it before the game closed down. They could have at least let us download a pic of our pirate the day before the closure too, as many wanted to remember what their pirate looked like.
screen shots dude you probably still have some in your pc somewhere im sure i your like all us you have bumped the screenshot key a thousand times. message me on my profile and i can tell you where to look

Let's not go too far "off-topic" please, me hearties! Much appreciated...:pirate1:

aye that be true it is a subject for a different conversation, but as long as you still have the computer you played on and havent flashed/replaced the hard drive they should still be in their like i said if ye wanna try and dig em out start a new conversation with me or just post on me wall and im happy to help. appologies shamus me mate, just finishin' up that topic, and with that bein' said lets keep ta the subject.

not keeping our hopes up and not trying is exactly what will get you no where in life. do you think this country would exist if we didn't keep our hopes up and fight or even people having equal rights. i respect your opinion 100% and do not judge anyone on their beliefs or opinions but please don't give up hope so easily.

I also respect your opinion 100% and your belief. Yes I agree not keeping our hopes does not get us anywhere in life, however there is a point in which you have to realize you have to move on from this because, per @Punkin Pie, at this point it is more of a dead body or if you would like to look at it from a better more positive perspective, a dying person. Sometimes you have to let go of that person, as much as you do not want them to die. What the illness (Disney) can never take away from us is our memories and is what I want many of the people who still believe there is hope to realize that if you have closure you will eventually find something new and possibly better. Although right now (in my own opinion) 2 games (Those being Pirates Of Legend [More favorable] And Pirates Of The High Seas [Not as favorable]) that have been mentioned that would be made based of this game's community don't look like they are going to make it far, I'm sure down the road these games will look much better and be better managed than DIMG managed POTCO. There is a point in which we keep fighting. There is a point in which you just must move on.

To be honest the only reason the British did not keep on going with us in the Revolutionary War is because Englanders weren't exactly all cheery about it and would rather us have been our own nation than fight it. They could have kept playing chess with us as they had still more to go.

In regard to the "loot" @Shamus The Brute has been posting, I found it interesting when my father called Disney regarding membership for my little brother that they were in Canada (My dad is one of those people that can get phone people talking), which I knew was ironically as specified was where CP was located. It kind of also worried me they were relocated there. To add on to that, she said that they only picked up phones for 4 hours I believe even though they would be there all day.

Shamus, I cannot see the edited convos in your post #47. :( Its that strange thing with me not seeing some of the images on this site...

I believe that the first wrong step that Disney made with POTCO, Pixie Hollow and Toontown was the ending of the commercials. I saw those commercials only on the Disney stations. Gradually they stopped. First to end was Toontown, then POTCO and finally Pixie Hollow. But those blooming penguins were still getting their faces plastered in commercials at least once an hour.

Hind site is 20/20... we can look back and say... well if they had done this or that... but I doubt that they are doing that at this moment. I do feel that if they took from what CP was doing with how they were bringing in money and implemented some of those ideas into the other games, then they would have been more profitable. There are too many scenarios to list here as to what they could have or should have done. The point is they dont care. They have moved on. It would be a miracle if they were to revive our beloved Caribbean.

Shamus, I cannot see the edited convos in your post #47. :( Its that strange thing with me not seeing some of the images on this site...
A reminder that pictures uploaded to conversations ARE NOT viewable to people outside of the conversations. Upload it to a thread or album if you want everyone to see it.
I apologize Kate and I hope that everyone can now see the chat images uploaded to the text (let me know, please, if ye can't). Also, thank you - Davy - for informing me as I was unaware. :)

I also respect your opinion 100% and your belief. Yes I agree not keeping our hopes does not get us anywhere in life, however there is a point in which you have to realize you have to move on from this because, per Punkin Pie, at this point it is more of a dead body or if you would like to look at it from a better more positive perspective, a dying person. Sometimes you have to let go of that person, as much as you do not want them to die. What the illness (Disney) can never take away from us is our memories and is what I want many of the people who still believe there is hope to realize that if you have closure you will eventually find something new and possibly better. Although right now (in my own opinion) 2 games (Those being Pirates Of Legend [More favorable] And Pirates Of The High Seas [Not as favorable]) that have been mentioned that would be made based of this game's community don't look like they are going to make it far, I'm sure down the road these games will look much better and be better managed than DIMG managed POTCO. There is a point in which we keep fighting. There is a point in which you just must move on.

To be honest the only reason the British did not keep on going with us in the Revolutionary War is because Englanders weren't exactly all cheery about it and would rather us have been our own nation than fight it. They could have kept playing chess with us as they had still more to go.

In regard to the "loot" @Shamus The Brute has been posting, I found it interesting when my father called Disney regarding membership for my little brother that they were in Canada (My dad is one of those people that can get phone people talking), which I knew was ironically as specified was where CP was located. It kind of also worried me they were relocated there. To add on to that, she said that they only picked up phones for 4 hours I believe even though they would be there all day.
i respect that, though a dying person is much different than this, death is something completely in the hands of god, it is the only thing that is for sure and cannot be changed. anything is possible and people need to strive for that concept. and the war between the u.s. and britain was won the same way all wars are won we exhausted the enemy and took what was rightfully ours and this is rightfully ours. i do respect everything you say i just dont believe it. dont let the enemy win.

disneys whole customer support is garbage i emailed their customer service almost a month ago and got a response that it may take 1-3 days to respond. i assumed it was because the subject was potco based but than just a week ago filed another complaint receiving no response yet. it isnt just pirates they fail to serve the customer on its their whole company. i remember when i could email them and get a response within 1-3 HOURS now i have to wait a month after i was told 3 days? who wants to take wagers on how long it takes them to run infinity and club penguin deep into the ground, lol. i feel betrayed and like they dont give a rat's arsenal about someone who has payed them well over 2,000$ over the years, and thats what makes me the maddest is that they just dont care about their customers who put the food on their tables, and the clothes on their backs. it is shear disrespect and frankly just dispicable.

Yes, Shamus The Brute I was finally able to see the convos. Thanks!

I know we keep harping on our thoughts and feelings on this game and its closing and what it means to us... We have every right to!

But, I want to ask this one question, and thanks to Ben Bowman I thought of it: How do you think those devs and employees who also feel in love with this game feel?

I dont know how many of you have thought of it, but that is a lot of hard work that they put into our beloved game. I know that I cried when we lost it, and I'm sure that IF I had been the one working on the game, then I would have cried harder and longer.

Thanks, Shamus, for all your hard work put into this thread. :)

Back