REVIVE POTCO Revisited ~ "Tales Be Told!"

Arrrrr! Do ye still LOVE bein' a PIRATE?

• AYE ~ Me timbers be shiver'd!

Votes: 73 94.8%
  • NAY ~ Much like Disney, me interests have changed!

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters
ok i have waited long enough for a response from disney, anyone know a better way to get a hold of them other than their website because its been over a month since i emailed them and am strongly considering using infinity's contact info lol

~ RP (POTCO 'in-game') Events ~

31792693_125x125.png
:pirates:
31792693_125x125.png

Aye, avast!
There remained two (2) in-game events which occurred on POTCO that were officially endorsed by RP (meaning RP organizers were responsible for the 'direct' organization, decision-making and planning of each event).
Revive POTCO Blockade!
3f270056-c16f-473c-bf46-16196717831c.jpg

images

Revive POTCO ~ Land Ho! Island for Email ~
043888ff-fca0-40a0-8f62-5d327aae377b.jpg

The strategy, planning, and organizational structure behind each event kept the community of POTCO players all in mind. In addition, each event had surpassed expectations held by event organizers and became a huge success as far as RP was concerned. (Player turn-out, involvement and participation at each event was unprecedented as pirates from various backgrounds and/or affiliations congregated to both express their enjoyment towards POTCO and to show their support towards the goal of the RP petition).

tumblr_lno77x62jJ1ql5llno1_250.gif
tumblr_lqggt61gBQ1r1v09do1_400.jpg
tumblr_lno77x62jJ1ql5llno1_250.gif

A recap and brief summary of FAQs pertaining to each RP event is described below:

~ Revive POTCO Blockade ~
:boat:
- Credit given to a RP organizer (whom, on December 5, 2012, first mentioned the consideration of holding a in-game, POTCO event in response to rallying the support of the community and to serve as a reminder that the RP petition had players' interests in mind) ~ :thanks:

- Event occurred on January 1, 2013 (New Year' Day); 3pm EST (12 PST or 8pm GMT); Location: Port Royal Docks, Antik Ocean ~

- Event instructions encouraged pirates to launch their own ship (with little to no passenger crew onboard) along with the suggestion for ship captains to close the boarding permissions to their ships as a means to control, at that time, the influx of hacking to where ships "open" to the public would sometimes be boarded, the Captain and the crew would be defeated, and the gain in both plunder and materials would be compromised ~

- A RP organizer was successful in discreetly posting a hint pertaining to the blockade event on POTCO's Grog Blog (news post titled, 'Happy Holidays') for the new year of 2013 ~

- An event (Facebook) group was created: https://www.facebook.com/events/508487882517697/ ~

~ Revive POTCO - Land Ho! Island for Email ~
:hi there:
- Credit given to Johnny Sea Slasher/Dent (for the idea implemented for the event) and Jade O'Hayes (for organizing the execution of a well-balanced, meticulously planned, and highly organized event) ~ :thanks:

- Event permitted the gain of an additional 13 RP organizers (whom appropriately deserve credit as well for their ideas, speeches given, time/support, and the carrying out of event 'tasks') ~ :thanks:

- Event occurred on May 25, 2013 (US 'Memorial Day' holiday weekend) ~

- Event permitted the POTCO community to participate "interactively" to where electronic feedback (via email and/or messaging form) was simultaneously used to contact Disney/Disney Interactive while players remained logged onto the gaming platform ~

- Event accommodated the global POTCO community and not just players living within the US. As a result, the event was scheduled three (3) separate times to where each "series" would accommodate pirates whom lived in contrasting time zones in order that they too could participate in the event/send their feedback ~

- Event centered around five (5) island "stops" (Padres del Fuego, Outcast Isle, Isla Tormenta, Cuba, and Raven's Cove) where different topics of discussion would be discussed as to why POTCO needed revived. Once discussed, players would pause in order to send their feedback to Disney/Disney Interactive ~

- An event (Facebook) group was created: https://www.facebook.com/events/332877366838645/ ~

~ Doing the "right" thing ~

tumblr_m8t91i3UEV1qlknxjo1_500.gif

~ Unfortunately for POTCO, each RP event was disrupted by in-game "hackers" (i.e., players whom through the manipulation of POTCO coding via use of a third party, 'python' tool/program took advantage of the vulnerabilities associated with the Panda3D gaming engine used for the development of POTCO). Sadly to RP's disfavor, such acts of disruption were understood to be premeditated.

Below is a recap of how things went down concerning such disruption (with the greatest implications occurring to the 'Land Ho! Island for Email' event as in-game focus concerning the instruction of sending feedback was disrupted).

~ Revive POTCO Blockade ~
:boat:

1.) Prior to the completion of RP organizers finishing their speeches/offering instruction concerning the event's proceedings, a POTCO player(s) implemented a "chat erase" hack at the main dock on Port Royal which influenced the control of the character limits allowed on POTCO's local chat.

- As a result, in-game communication with the community of POTCO players became non-existent

brokentelephone.jpg

2.) Following the launching of players' ships from the shores of Port Royal, POTCO hackers implemented a "sailing/cannon" hack which permitted themselves and their crew to shoot down and sink event participants ships.

- As a result, a suitable convoy and ship blockade line was not permitted as a result of participants ships being attacked, shot down, and torpedoed

tumblr_ll9khdNHWq1qb6t1jo1_500.gif

tumblr_lfwxz8KWQs1qbb387o1_400.jpg

~ Revive POTCO - Land Ho! Island for Email ~
:hi there:
1.) Prior to the completion of RP organizers finishing their speeches/offering instruction concerning the event's proceedings, a POTCO player(s) implemented a "chat erase/red colored chat" hack at Padres del Fuego, Outcast Isle, and Cuba which influenced the control of the character limits allowed on POTCO's local chat.

- As a result, in-game communication with the community of POTCO players became disrupted and non-existent for a period of time

2.) Event participants experienced out of the ordinary server crashes to where they were booted from the game (likely as a result of the actions of hackers whom, at that time, were readily known to have implemented such action while on POTCO)

- As a result, event participation and in-game play was unfairly disrupted

Disconnection.png

3.) At the completion of the event, the following threat was found on the Wiki and was specifically directed at RP organizers :sad1::
You sit here holding this events saying all these bad things about us just because we use programs that let us do glitches? Oh we are such bad stupidheads we can talk in red writing. We see that you ban us from everything potco related just because we do that. We wont take it anymore. Next event that is held will be destroyed with the new development of our code searching we have now made private server based GM and server DC codes. Oh and before you ban me i will make one last message clear. Next people who speak at such a event like this will be termed. You most likely think im bluffing but next time you talk we shall see. - (Staff of python)

- As a result, RP organizers agreed to create a POTCO guild (called 'REVIVE') to where basic level pirates would be used in response to the above threat message

5efaae37-eff9-4dd8-ad47-02271c84b5c7.jpg

ddae0cb6-bbd8-4d41-be2d-ec8ab40c349a.jpg

~ Very soon to come; "Tales Be Told" closing remarks/concluding statement ~

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea of a guild made around the petition, even if built for a minor purpose, was an interesting idea. Had people been willing as well I think one could have easily built an active "RP" Movement guild.

It should be, yeah. Sony, the original owners dropped the game, so some developers left Sony to run the game themselves. Since then, someone compromised their website and game. However, I think they've fixed the problem and should be secure. It should be safe to play, but if you're really cautious, use different passwords, and don't subscribe for awhile (and give them your credit card information).

It should be, yeah. Sony, the original owners dropped the game, so some developers left Sony to run the game themselves. Since then, someone compromised their website and game. However, I think they've fixed the problem and should be secure. It should be safe to play, but if you're really cautious, use different passwords, and don't subscribe for awhile (and give them your credit card information).
Alright thanks

Cropped-revive-potco.png

~ Concluding remarks/Closing Statement ~

Thanks be to the developers of POTCO...
:piratemickey:

...each of us experienced a taste of the freedom which goes along with being a true pirate of the Caribbean and as such, we must realize as a community that while although the actions of the Revive POTCO (RP) petition did all that it could to instigate change, our pirate way-of-life was ultimately at the mercy of external factors which played a hand towards the closing of POTCO.

Let us now examine those factors which, to the best of my knowledge,
readily influenced the outcome of the RP petition.

31792693_125x125.png

~ Bad Timing ~

In consideration to appropriate "timing," it is not always clear on when to bring things out into the open/expose the darkness to the light. In RP's case, this became especially true as it became apparent that players' growing concerns in consideration towards a lack of POTCO updates and in-game playability infiltrated the Caribbean in much the same way that a noose infiltrates a pirate's personal space. Thus, an understanding that needs to be shared is that when the RP petition first began, much of the infrastructure within Disney Interactive had (unknowingly) evolved to suit the change in demand within the gaming industry. Therefore, the MMO platform of POTCO had failed to sustain the support of decision-makers employed by Disney whom, according to the acceptance of trends, valued mobile and social platforms long before the RP petition was organized.

~ Poor Financial Strength ~

Poor financial strength within Disney Interactive plagued the legitimate effort of having POTCO revived. Throughout the height of activity surrounding RP (during the time to where some 63 Disney/Disney Interactive employees were contacted concerning RP), what was discovered in time was that many people whom had worked within Disney Interactive (with whom had either sympathized, supported, or had worked on POTCO projects directly themselves) suffered at the hand of divisional layoffs which sought to improve cost saving efforts. In addition, those whom were able to retain their employment within Disney Interactive had their responsibilities shifted to other projects unrelated to POTCO.

Other "unfair" consequences which had resulted from a lack of financial strength within Disney Interactive was that some gaming worlds (Club Penguin notably) received a considerable amount of favoritism over others worlds in addition to Disney Interactive possessing no clear vision prior to the Disney Infinity game/platform.

~ Disney policy/corporate culture ~

Enforced policy for all Disney divisions (including Disney Interactive) restricts the freedom for employees to speak freely on behalf of Disney in accordance to
"The Walt Disney Co. and Affiliated Companies - 2012 - Standards of Business Conduct."

And I quote:
Speaking on Behalf of our Company
Our Company conducts business in many parts of the world and the public expects the information we provide to be accurate. It’s critical that information provided to the public is complete, consistent and accurate and also that confidential information is protected. Unless you are an authorized Company spokesperson, don’t speak on behalf of the Company. Instead, refer the individual to one of the following:
• For media inquiries, contact the Corporate Communications department.
• For questions regarding financial performance, contact Investor Relations.
• For legal issues, contact the Legal department.
Source: http://cdn.media.ir.thewaltdisneycompany.com/forms/DIS-SBC-CM.pdf
(page 24 within document, located at bottom)

What does the above mean?
:confused:
Well it means that if someone like us (i.e., players of POTCO) attempt to try to contact someone specifically whom is employed by Disney/Disney Interactive, company policy states that they must comply by the above by NOT saying anything publicly, even if they would like to do so. *Taking consideration into the fact that the only responses received back from the 63 individuals RP had contacted, those individuals were all ex-Disney employees.

~ Closing Statement ~

31792693_125x125.png

Generally speaking, the progression and natural order of things suggests that when one door closes, another door will eventually open to where OPPORTUNITY may present itself for the sake of the betterment of a situation.

When-one-door-closes-another-opens.jpg

Unfortunately for POTCO in light of the RP petition, this did not seem to be the case. :sad1:

tumblr_lr1gk59jXr1qcvmibo1_500.gif

Nevertheless, I do understand there to be invaluable lessons learned from the POTCO experience (one of which is to 'accept' that some things in LIFE are unfair/can be taken away from us in an instant). If you seek to uphold this kind of truth, those things which do happen to disappoint may also remind you to take nothing for granted and to live deeply in the moment of something you sincerely enjoy. And while it is to our advantage to always enjoy our own experiences (and the things we most enjoy), may we also never forget that our actions affect others' experiences good or bad, depending upon the personal decisions and choices we make.

And so I have come to the end of this writing concerning the Revive POTCO petition effort and yet, I find myself still not wanting to give up hope for POTCO. In the end, perhaps that is POTCO's greatest legacy; pirates that will forever remain pirates no matter what effort has been lost.

tumblr_m7fguqMBix1qmixdbo1_500.gif

~ On behalf of RP, "forever Hoist the Colours ~ Yo Ho!"

Last edited by a moderator:
And just to restate again, thank you for posting this on the .com. A lot of work went into this, as does most of your posts. :thewave:
Thank you for your message.

Just to let you know, what was written to this thread was (I hope) the representation voice of "all" Revive POTCO petition organizers and helpers. ;)

*Obviously everyone was hoping for a different outcome. Nevertheless, I for one genuinely appreciate the time and energy it took of these individuals (to unselfishly do their part) to take action to challenge The Walt Disney Company despite the significant odds that kept staring each of us in the face for almost an entire year.

Back