1. Hey, Guest! Tune into the 9th Developer Stream this Saturday, April 29, at 8PM EDT! Read more...

Rule Revisions

Discussion in 'Site News and Updates' started by Davy Darkrage, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin Calicovane

Benjamin Calicovane Notorious Pirate

Honestly, I think that's the best choice in this kind of situation.

It would be incredibly difficult to enforce what is defined as "too far" when there's a system that says "ok, you can do this, but only a little of it, too much will get you punished, but nobody knows what too much is."

:)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. John Foulroberts

Admin

I agree with this decision, actually. The current state of the community has proved to be a little too tumultuous for my liking to allow such a drastic change. Plus, there's too much grey area which would complicate things for both members and moderators.

I was thinking an explicit mention of DOXing - so that it is clear. It should also be disclosed that DOXing will not be tolerated and will likely result in a long/permanent ban.

3. Captain Redhorn

Lead Mod

Can we still expect the new rules tomorrow or will they be delayed with the change to swearing?

4. Captain Redhorn

Lead Mod

For anyone wondering, we have decided the rules are NOT going into effect tomorrow as there is still some work to be done. There will also be a more official notice when they do go into effect.

5. DavyBluefoote

DavyBluefoote Dockworker

I don't think the pirates of yesteryear spoke like the pirates of thisteryear. Finding the swearing of those pirates would be a challenge, and then there'd be a bevy of new swearin', cursin', and foul language.

6. William_Caine

William_Caine Sea Legs

I agree Davy.. this is a game for all to enjoy .. hopefully Children too .. let us not forget them .. keep it clean and fun .. and keep a weathered eye on the Horizon..

7. Ember Heartless

Ember Heartless Wanted Pirate

But would I really want my 13 or 11 year old to be a part of hearing those words more often than they do at school? You can get your point across without cussing.

8. Ember Heartless

Thank you! Even as a middle age kind of, adult...I don't want to hear all that either.

9. MarkPlankwalker

MarkPlankwalker Pirate Master

No. I could never deal with that, it would ruin the whole game for everyone.

10. Bort Greasegorb

Bort Greasegorb Wanted Pirate

I agree. It would create envy for 18+ chats where there are no limits to chatting and the whole thing would spiral out of control. Either pick all ages, 13+ or 18+ but only one.

11. Julian Casablancas

Julian Casablancas Pirate Apprentice

You hit the nail on the head with the "grey area"...

12. TeaboltKris2Sheds

A definite No No! Never did it! Shame on anyone who has!

13. Boots

Boots Wanted Pirate

There are plenty of voice chat communications out there for adult content, so people can chat it up all they want. I say as long as we can communicate well in game chat, be able to at least chat about any content in game, things should be good. Personally I wouldn't want to be held responsible or contribute in any way if I was a Dev, if someone of any age, happen to release person info and some predator or psycho got a hold of it.

14. Ember Heartless

As a mother of three boys, one of which will graduate high school this year and will be gone....So...mother of one at least one boy who is totally hooked on computer gaming and programming. I can say that I appreciate some maturity. I know there will be some curse words or violence. I'm okay with that. My boys were raised knowing that even if they hear it, they are not allowed to throw those words at anyone else. Not all children are raised that way though. There is a place and even a time for adult chat, but I don't think that we should limit our numbers to just 18+ with what we say. They (sorry for those of you who are that younger age of 18ish) still don't need to be constantly exposed to words, funuality, etc...
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. AND let me just say this b/c I know this well. Why do we play or carry on in the forums? It's b/c we like to have friends. For some of us, RL has treated us hard and unkindly and here we can be whatever or whomever we want.
    I hope I don't offend anyone, I'm not trying to. I just think that ....I know from personal experience, it's nice to escape from RL for a bit. And in most cases RL can suck. So why add the harsh curse words into the mix of the youth who will one day run our country?
    Again, just my opinion...raising boys who will be husbands and fathers one day.

Handy Dan and Jack McWallace like this.
  15. Eric Sailcutter

Eric Sailcutter Honorable Pirate

The Ts & Cs link doesn't work for me? I think swearing should continue to be banned completely. Is the more mature content for in-game or on Forums? I would be inclined to think it might be ok for Forums but not for in-game, people should be able to see everything that is said in-game if it is intended for them and everyone should see the garr if it is not up to code. Let's not forget that Disney could take a dim view of adding more mature content to their game. Really, the safest course of action would be to maintain a very Disney like approach to what is allowed and what is not.

16. Solomon Helmfitte

Solomon Helmfitte Wanted Pirate

Completely agree about thinking of the kids, most here are now young adults or older but there's a whole new generation yet to discover TLOPO!

No swearing, good manners and etiquette all round, within reason I'm not saying we should resemble a knitting club, or The Pirates That Don't Do Anything!:D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxPogyy3qU0&t=40s

:pirate ship:

Jack McWallace likes this.
  17. Davy McShot

Davy McShot Notorious Pirate

Why are you guys responding to a dead 2016 thread..

Solomon Helmfitte likes this.
  18. Solomon Helmfitte

lol! Good question... still stops the anxiety and clock watching till launch!:rolleyes:

19. Solomon Helmfitte

Completely agree with all you said above... but what is "funuality"? did you mean some other word?:D

Jack McWallace likes this.
  20. Eric Sailcutter

Eric Sailcutter Honorable Pirate

lol, didn't notice the date and so when Ember's reply showed on new posts I started reading without looking at the dates once again, sorry. It explains why the link doesn't function, lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.