Guide RUNTIME ERROR? How to fix that?

Mark Scurvyfox

Ahoy there,

Lately most of you are getting the annoying errors while playing POTCO such as runtime errors; so I decided to create a guide to help you prevent those errors to occur!

Starting with basics!

DEFINITION OF RUNTIME ERRORS:

A runtime error is a software or hardware problem that prevents a program from working correctly. Runtime errors might cause you to lose information in the file you're working on, cause errors in the file (corrupt the file) so you can't work with it, or prevent you from using a feature. Unlike stop errors, runtime errors don't typically cause Windows or a program to stop working.
Runtime errors can occur if you are running two software programs that are not compatible, if your computer has memory problems, or if the computer has been infected with malicious software.

So how I can fix that???

First of all, there are obviously requirements to play the game. Does your computer meet these? If they don't, I would recommend not playing until you can get a better computer.

Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7
800 MHz or faster processor
512 MB RAM
32 MB 3D graphics card
DirectX 9 or better
700 MB free disk space
Broadband Connection (recommended)

Why these errors occurring???

Runtime errors can occur if you are running two software programs that are not compatible, if your computer has memory problems, if the computer has been infected with malicious software, if the computer has overloaded processor (CPU) memory, or if the computer has outdated graphics card or driver(s).

HOW TO FIX THOSE ERRORS:

While playing POTCO I would recommend you close all background applications, so your CPU or RAM does NOT reach their limits and a runtime error suddenly appears.

Are your computer up to date? As I stated previously, having an outdated system can cause runtime errors as well. First of all make sure you have all windows updates installed in your system.

Start > Control Panel > Windows Update > Check for new updates

After you have all the updates installed, make sure your graphic drivers are up to date as well.

Start > search > dxdiag > display tab > drivers > date: XX/XX/XXX

If you find that your graphics driver is old, you must install the new version immediately. (At display tab there is also your graphics card model, manufacturer etc.)

The most common brands of graphic cards are the following:

ATI
NVIDIA
INTEL

Is your computer infected with malicious software? Chances are you are encountering runtime errors if your system has virus and such. You will need a program called “Anti-virus” to check if your system is infected. I personally use AVAST Free Antivirus and I highly recommend it.

Aside from these, both your computer and POTCO require Microsoft Visual Redistributable Package to run properly!

MICROSOFT VISUAL PACKAGE??? WHAT IS THAT???

Visual C++ redistributables are components shipped by app developers who use Visual C++ to write their software and choose to use Microsoft's code inside the component (e.g. sin and cos math functions) instead of reinventing the wheel.

You can find and download the latest redistributable packages on the following sites:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555 (2010)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679 (2012)

I recommend you to install both versions and after that check Windows Update (again) for updated release(s) related to these packages!

Do you still risk it? Are you putting your efforts into a waste?

screenshot_2012-03-20_19-15-17_zps92d65665.jpg

I hope you found my solutions helpful!
If you have any question(s) feel free to ask me! :)

Nice Mark ^_^ I think it was very helpful..........however it didn't work for me :p
  1. My PC does meet all the requirements to play the game as stated above
  2. I do have a good graphics card installed (Intel)
  3. I have the latest version of Microsoft Visual C++
  4. My PC isn't infected or anything like that, besides some cookies I clear every night.
Yet... I still get runtime errors. They don't happen that often but still. Its mostly when Im on a ship and about to port. this is when they happen :mad:
Not sure if I missed anything.. any ideas? :oops:

They don't happen that often but still. Its mostly when Im on a ship and about to port. this is when they happen

Same here. Porting seems to be the most likely place for a run time error. My pc is fairly new but found out the graphics card is low end which is likely my issue. I guess we can't assume the graphics cards are good just because the machine is new.

Same here. Porting seems to be the most likely place for a run time error. My pc is fairly new but found out the graphics card is low end which is likely my issue. I guess we can't assume the graphics cards are good just because the machine is new.

Yep. To be honest I wouldn't say my pc is new either.. Its something more than a year old but it was built up by me and some friends not just bought by a store, so its designed for gaming mostly. Ive never had any problems with it, Ive never got any other kind of errors or even programs that lag except Potco :mad:

Nice Mark ^_^ I think it was very helpful..........however it didn't work for me :p
  1. My PC does meet all the requirements to play the game as stated above
  2. I do have a good graphics card installed (Intel)
  3. I have the latest version of Microsoft Visual C++
  4. My PC isn't infected or anything like that, besides some cookies I clear every night.
Yet... I still get runtime errors. They don't happen that often but still. Its mostly when Im on a ship and about to port. this is when they happen :mad:
Not sure if I missed anything.. any ideas? :oops:

Dear Irene,

In order to assist you further with runtime errors I would like you to give me your computer's info/specifications so I will be able to look onto this for available solutions. The problem you stated before has to do with server
latency. Most of the time, it is server-side and Disney's problem. Unfortunately, there is really no workaround for server-side latency, and therefore you will have to find a different server. Usually when Disney takes the servers down for maintenance, this delay is cleared for a period of time.

You can use the CPU-Z program to get the informations I need; it is 100% free and you can download it by clicking here. (official site)

Required Informations:
-CPU (Processor)
-Memory/Ram
-Hard Disk
-Graphics Card
-Operating System

My apologies for the late reply but I was on vacation without Internet connection at all.

Awaiting your reply,
Mark Scurvyfox

The 80% (percent) of new computers come with integrated graphics Intel/AMD so do not be expecting them to play high-end games; however some of them are powerful enough to run Pirates on high settings.

I know, I have that program already. Ill post in a bitOkay there :

cpu1-png.57002

cpu2-png.57003

cpu3-png.57004

cpu4-png.57005

cpu5-png.57006

cpu6-png.57007

*Before you say anything note that I have no idea what each number means since Im not very pc-wise :p I got this program when my friend asked me to so he can check on my pc via team viewer

Last edited by a moderator:
According to your computer's specifications, you are able to run Pirates at high settings. When are you getting runtime errors? While on MAT RUN/LOOT RUN/CANNON DEFENSE?

Your game settings also play a role to all these.

Open Pirates Launcher -> Graphic Options -> Set Open GL

DirectX9 API (Application Programming Interface) does appears to be more buggy and from times to times some features are missing from game. These APIs determine how various software components interact with each other. OpenGL and DirectX are two such APIs that are designed to render 2D and 3D graphics. Many games require support for various APIs in order to function, as well as provide a high-quality gaming experience.

2013-08-2214_50_19-PiratesoftheCaribbeanOnline_zpsf3dd2970.png

Do not run the game at full screen, that way it requires more resources from CPU & RAM in order to run. You might want to change your game settings to the followings:

Pirates_Online2013-08-2214-57-45-57_zpsae8f2155.png

Shader Level 4 - You do not really need this as it does not make any change other than realistic water/high seas.

Also latency problems may cause the game not to work properly so I highly recommend you to stay away from full servers. It is more efficient to go on an ideal or quiet server!

I hope this will fix your runtime errors! :)

{[You might want to check this guide for optimal gameplay!]}

Ummm... yes it has been set to Open GL since day 1. I love playing on high graphics and thats how I had my settings as well - I hate low ones even if that means less lag. I get the runtime thingy while sailing.
and its fine if you cant help more, I appreciate it anyway :) ty again :D

Hmm it seems complicated..

My computer specifications are the followings:

-Intel Pentium E5200 @2.50Ghz Dual-Core
-2GB RAM DDR2
-nVIDIA GeForce GT 210 1GB DDR3
-Windows XP SP3

My system is really old so I can only run the game at medium settings; but I never get runtime errors.

Are you sure your graphic card driver is up to date? I have done a research about your graphic card and it can handle the game perfect.

You may wish to download your latest graphic drivers here: (official site)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-32bit-320.49-whql-driver.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-320.49-whql-driver.html

You have to choose between x86 and x64 bit operating system.

HOW TO:

1. Click on the Start button and then Control Panel.
  2. Click on the System and Security link.
    Note: If you're viewing either the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Just click on the System icon and then proceed to Step 4.
  3. In the System and Security window, click on the System link.
  4. When the System window opens, titled as View basic information about your computer, locate the System area below the oversized Windows logo.
  5. In the System area, look for System type among the other statistics about your computer.
    The System type will report either a 32-bit Operating System or a 64-bit Operating System.

You may want to give a try on the following:

Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Search for Microsoft Visual C++Redistributable Packages -> Uninstall all of them (including updates via Windows Update) -> Restart your system.

Then uninstall Pirates Online entirely (Make sure to save your screenshots first)

After that install the following packages:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

Restart again your system -> Windows Update -> Check for updates related to this packages -> install them -> restart your system -> install Pirates Online (again)

Tell me if that worked!

I used to get run time errors, so I just uninstalled it and re-installed it. fixed it perfect.

It is recommended to install a fresh copy of the game when you update important components such as Microsoft Visual C++Redistributable libraries or if you recently have updated your graphics card drivers!

Back