Sailing Loot Drop-rate Nerf

Do you think sailing loot needs a nerf? (Be honest...)

• Yes.

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • No.

Votes: 77 83.7%

• Total voters

Charles Warmonk

Wiki Staff
As we all know, sailing loot in TLOPO is NOT the same as it was in POTCO. Almost or nearly EVERY SINGLE SHIP drops loot. Skull, Chests, Pouches from every single ship is NOT how POTCO rate was set. I would say every 1/5 ships had a CHANCE to drop loot in the old game. People are maxing 18 cargo skulls Chests in the small span of an hour! I even hear that the WHOLE CREW got famed and DOUBLE drop famed.

I'd highly recommend the team nerf sailing drop rates so they are not so easily farmed. Just alone I hear my friend who consistently getting over 10 famed a day just off looting (Not even counting brights)

This is a bigger problem than fishing was.....

EVERY ship is a little bit much, But still, dropping from land enemies is typically high. SO it should be about the same. And you've never gotten 16 skulls on land in an hour? Running around and clicking? Sailing is one aspect in the game that actually takes some skill. So considering they have hunters, warships on their tail, and can still port after being out that long, props to them.

And as the famous words are. It is just BETA. And all the staff plays the game as well, I'm sure they see the same stuff we see, if not more on their end. SO yes it will be changed. But for a good crew to get rewarded like that after that much work, I say reward them.

EVERY ship is a little bit much, But still, dropping from land enemies is typically high. SO it should be about the same. And you've never gotten 16 skulls on land in an hour? Running around and clicking? Sailing is one aspect in the game that actually takes some skill. So considering they have hunters, warships on their tail, and can still port after being out that long, props to them.

And as the famous words are. It is just BETA. And all the staff plays the game as well, I'm sure they see the same stuff we see, if not more on their end. SO yes it will be changed. But for a good crew to get rewarded like that after that much work, I say reward them.
100% agree. - Just trying to get feedback about topics that are important.

I'm going to guess some people are just lucky. I've gotten nothing good from sailing lately at all.
Recent mat runs don't consistently have more skull chests. Some runs have none, and some runs have 1-5 or more depending on how many you want to stay out for. I'd say 90% of the time my friends and I haven't been getting any famed or anything decent except gold.

I don't think sailing loot can be nerfed unless it disappears totally. It's just my opinion by the runs that I've been on, and by asking the guild every day what they've been getting in loot. It's been a humble life for us.

I'm going to guess some people are just lucky. I've gotten nothing good from sailing lately at all.
Recent mat runs don't consistently have more skull chests. Some runs have none, and some runs have 1-5 or more depending on how many you want to stay out for. I'd say 90% of the time my friends and I haven't been getting any famed or anything decent except gold.

I don't think sailing loot can be nerfed unless it disappears totally. It's just my opinion by the runs that I've been on, and by asking the guild every day what they've been getting in loot. It's been a humble life for us.
In POTCO sailing dropped loot (Any form of it pouch chests or skull) 1/5 ships.... TLOPO drops them EVERY SINGLE SHIP. I don't see your argument for defending that... Yes, they may have not reserved famed for a single run.... I've gone on a ship were I got 16 skull chests and still only got 1 famed. However, does that mean or defend the argument that not EVERY ship should be dropping loot?

Imagine if every single enemy on land dropped a loot pouch 100% of the time?

i get a lot of pouches while sailing but nothing ever good out of them. If anything needs to be changed its that there should be a simple scrolling function to where you can view all loot you got from sailing instead of having to take and trash items to see everything.
That is a differnt problem for a different thread that I posted. We are talking about the loot drop rate..... if it was correct you would not be getting a pouch for EVERY. SINGLE. SHIP.

ok sorry didn't know there was a thread. in short term though yes. every ship dropping is too much. I personally think it should be nerfed but not too much. in POTCO it was a rare occurrence to get a skull from sailing, so maybe middle ground is what is needed?

That is a differnt problem for a different thread that I posted. We are talking about the loot drop rate..... if it was correct you would not be getting a pouch for EVERY. SINGLE. SHIP.

So you want to make it harder for the new pirates that come now, while you already reapt all the benefits of every drop per ship?
I am quite frankly, happy that every ship drops something. Since putting it in a realistic perspective, every ship always had /something/ aboard back in the good ol' days of piracy.

Changing that to 1/5 again makes it less enticing for people to go out and sail, which is a negative impact.

So you want to make it harder for the new pirates that come now, while you already reapt all the benefits of every drop per ship?
I am quite frankly, happy that every ship drops something. Since putting it in a realistic perspective, every ship always had /something/ aboard back in the good ol' days of piracy.

Changing that to 1/5 again makes it less enticing for people to go out and sail, which is a negative impact.
You're thinking of the game as a role-playing than a MMO aspect.... and I did not take advantage of the sailing system myself I'll have you know 90% of my inventory came from land loot, and 9% from fishing. The 1% I did get from SAILING would be only my Lost World's Sea Chart which was back when sailing loot was even more broken than this and I also posted about nerfing.

Would you like it if every land based enemy dropped loot? I don't mean to sound rude btw, I just feel a little hurt you'd expect me of wanting to "take advantage of the rewards" and then "don't let everyone else have them"

You're thinking of the game as a role-playing than a MMO aspect.... and I did not take advantage of the sailing system myself I'll have you know 90% of my inventory came from land loot, and 9% from fishing. The 1% I did get from SAILING would be only my Lost World's Sea Chart which was back when sailing loot was even more broken than this and I also posted about nerfing.

Would you like it if every land based enemy dropped loot? I don't mean to sound rude btw, I just feel a little hurt you'd expect me of wanting to "take advantage of the rewards" and then "don't let everyone else have them"

Still, the devs did mention they were going to improve the game. So why is getting a single drop off every ship bad?
It's still RNG since you don't get a skull chest with every ship you sink. Your cargo hold does fill faster, but best I've ever managed was getting 5 skull chests due to hunters on my tail.

Back on the loot bit. All I ever got out of 100 runs and still counting was.. 3 famed. Bad RNG or luck, I don't know. This was after they fixed the drop rate on this stuff. Maybe decrease the amount of cargo drops you get per ship instead of getting 3 or more out of every 1/5. That would balance it out in my opinion. Since with a ship you spend a lot of time sinking ships.

i don't think that the issue Charles is referring to is as much focused around skull chests, but rather the fact that lesser containers like pouches and chests drop with literally every ship. Like i said in my above comment, if it is to be nerfed then i recommend it be nerfed not quite to the extreme that potco had it but rather in between legends is currently and the old Disney system.

i don't think that the issue Charles is referring to is as much focused around skull chests, but rather the fact that lesser containers like pouches and chests drop with literally every ship. Like i said in my above comment, if it is to be nerfed then i recommend it be nerfed not quite to the extreme that potco had it but rather in between legends is currently and the old Disney system.
I agree with this idea 100%.

I read this post yesterday and had to think about it a little and do some sailing to refresh my mind on it. You are right Charles, loot items dropped from ships are way too common and need to be reduced. On the subject of loot quality I'm not so sure, I've mostly gotten poor loot from sailing but recently it has picked up, is that a change that came with an update or just luck?
Another thing that you haven't mentioned but is directly related is that when you upgrade your cargo you still get all the lower lvl stuff in the drop when you port. This needs to be addressed also. It is the reason brights are so common and huge gold can be had from sailing.

As we all know, sailing loot in TLOPO is NOT the same as it was in POTCO. Almost or nearly EVERY SINGLE SHIP drops loot. Skull, Chests, Pouches from every single ship is NOT how POTCO rate was set. I would say every 1/5 ships had a CHANCE to drop loot in the old game. People are maxing 18 cargo skulls Chests in the small span of an hour! I even hear that the WHOLE CREW got famed and DOUBLE drop famed.

I'd highly recommend the team nerf sailing drop rates so they are not so easily farmed. Just alone I hear my friend who consistently getting over 10 famed a day just off looting (Not even counting brights)

This is a bigger problem than fishing was.....

Plz be quiet charles...
i need my lost sword before u change it all.

I think what your issue here is, is enemy ships are dropping pouches too often. That I would agree with. As you say, 1/5 ships would drop some kind of loot cargo, that sounds about right, but I don't honestly believe people are getting chests or skull chests too much. The sheer amount of pouches, however, is kind of absurd sometimes.

I'd concur that you could reduce the pouch drop rate, but the other items not so much. Besides, overall, I honestly believe sailing cargo/loot could use a buff. The same amount of time it takes me to fill up and port I could obtain like 4x as much stuff on land.

This is, of course, not counting cluster sailing. Cluster sailing is stupid though, and should be nerfed (as long as regular sailing gets buffed). But that's another topic.

I think what your issue here is, is enemy ships are dropping pouches too often. That I would agree with. As you say, 1/5 ships would drop some kind of loot cargo, that sounds about right, but I don't honestly believe people are getting chests or skull chests too much. The sheer amount of pouches, however, is kind of absurd sometimes.

I'd concur that you could reduce the pouch drop rate, but the other items not so much. Besides, overall, I honestly believe sailing cargo/loot could use a buff. The same amount of time it takes me to fill up and port I could obtain like 4x as much stuff on land.

This is, of course, not counting cluster sailing. Cluster sailing is stupid though, and should be nerfed (as long as regular sailing gets buffed). But that's another topic.
I think the above comments were right, if they are going to reduce drop rates it would take a piece of realism out of the game.. ships wouldnt be out sailing around with zero cargo... that just makes no sense at all..
I also dont think that we should be trying to exactly replicate POTCO... it wasnt perfect. Taking away loot dropped from most ships is just a bad idea with no real argument except to make the game harder for new players while we have all already reaped the benefits of this system... which still is not necessarily easy...

I'm surprised there's even a thread about this. I can't even get any loot because of crashes and loading issues from porting. I have a successful rate of 5% or lower at getting a successful ports.

I notice the poster says "he heard....." this and that. Seriously? How can you ask for a nerf about second hand info? Some people and some guilds do nothing but farm loot. I have a guild member who sails hours a day for loot . Not everyone plays that way nor does everyone rack up famed or brights. So how can everyone be fairly subjected to a nerf?

As for pouches, most people who are still upgrading ships sell all the stuff that drops. It adds up quickly(don't throw it away sheesh). Potco didn't have ship upgrades til late in game. Pirates had gold stashed as they didn't have anything to spend it on til the new ships and upgrades came out. Pirates now want that War Brig fast fast and gotta pay for it. Makes sense that they drop practically from everything, ,,, thanks devs!

Last edited:
Just 2 days ago I found the Lost Sword of El Patron with 2 other famed from sailing, following next day I find Silver Freeze along with a famed blunderbuss all from sailing. I'm unsure if this is luck or something to do with the drop rates.

Back